Sponsored by:

04 w211 E55 AMG Mercedes changed fuel pumps now the car has no power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG MERCEDES
04 E55 AMG Mercedes W211 M113 please help! It try's to die if I give it any Gas

I APOLOGIZE FOR MY BAD GRAMMAR as actually using my voice to text seamless thread in a hurry on my way home just driving the car truly apologize for any inconvenience hope everyone understands I just LOVE this car more than ANY 1 that I have ever had l, and I've had over 60 cars seamce 1996.

Okay guys, I would greatly appreciate any help I can get from ANYBODY here.
I have a 2004 E55 AMG Mercedes that sat for about two months, because I lost a part (the lid/top) to the fuel level sender unit. I finally got it all back together. I put new fuel pumps, new fuel level sending unit with new filter and everything in it during all this. Also a new pigtail for the wiring harness. All of it.
Anyhow I got it all back together and proceeded to try & start the car, it took about 7 trys turning it over before it finally started. But when it did in deed finally start, it acted as if it wanted to start but wouldn't. Once it did finally start it would only run for a few seconds then die, (Personally guessing the hard to start problem was just air and the fuel lines) sounding as if I was on the throttle then off and on and off ect... but I was not hitting the gas at all, then It would die. ( again thinking that part was just air in the lines from changing out fuel pumps ect., but I want to be as detailed as possible in my description of this problem.)

After that, It started to run smoothly at idle. but once I tried to do anything except idle I.e. drive it or even rev the motor AT ALL, It would hesitate ENORMOUSLY hard, and act as if it would die if I did not let off of the gas.
So when I finally got to try to test drive it thinking it may just need to stretch it legs after being cooped up in my garage for the past 3 months, when I would give it ANY more than 1/4 throttle it act like it was going to die/stumble, kind of acting as if somebody was covering the air intake COMPLETELY then pulling their hand off once I let off the gas.
So I drove it VERY ridiculously easily for around 30 miles, it could get it up to highway speed, (very slowly) but it just wouldn't go like it should, If I gave it more than 1/4 throttle or down shift it would stumble/ try to die.

THE OTHER PROBLEM is that it's not throwing ANY check engine lights or codes or anyting, it hasn't fully died at all durning all of this. I have checked most of my sensors related to this, they are all seeming to read good, cleaned my throttle body, reset throttle position sensor, cleaned map sensor and took off the intakes thinking it may had been a leak on the intake, so I put in new gaskets and checked all vacuum lines for leaks.

Now this is the part that is really confusing me and or making this problem hard for me to figure out or diagnose, since it is not throwing ANY check engine Lights or codes.. though I am slightly hampered to only having the use a Dash Command app to check for codes with. But it (Dash Commander) is saying that everything is A-Okay, even though I cant give it any more than that 1/4 throttle or maybe even less without it wanting to die.
I will try to post pictures of the Dash Commander screen while running and maybe even a video exactly what it is doing while it's running, if I can figure out how to do so.

Please let me know if there's anything else that I need to post, or if there is any information I may have left out, that you all could use/need to know to help me with this situation.

Again I apologize to Those who tried to help me when I first posted this thread. I apologize for my grammar & that I am not the best literary person in the world by any means. I am just a pipe welder / want to be euro mechanic.

Hopefully everybody can get past my horrendous grammar etiquette and help me get my baby back on the road. Thank you to everybody for all of your help. I am a huge fan of the MBWORLD Forum in EVERY way. This is definitely the best sight I have ever encountered, the people in this forum are awesome and very knowledgeable and or helpful. I very possiblely wouldn't still owen this beautiful piece of automotive artwork if it weren't for the people here. So again thank you ALL for EVERYTHING!

THANK YOU ALL! DOUGLASS M. ENRIQUEZ.
My fualt Birdwell, I posted the worng pic. I only bought this one for the top of it, because my son accidentally through mine away while i was waiting for the filter to get here. MAN IVE REALLY F'ED UP THIS THREAD. THANX FOR ALL THAT COULD BEAR WITH ME.

This is the sender i ordered

Last edited by Hustlinkaos; 06-26-2019 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Bad grammar and would like to draw more attention to the post
Old 06-22-2019, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 379 Likes on 322 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
You really have to put some periods in your story LOL. But all kidding aside....put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what you have and that can really help you a lot knowing what it is. Sounds like she is way to low on pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Hustlinkaos (06-23-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 781 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
There are times I wonder if I'm answering to a troll....

+1 on the above. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and tape the gauge to the windshield. You should have 78-82 psi pressure at idle. Pressure should not drop more than a few pounds at max throttle and redline. If pressure drops more than a few psi, adapter harness is missing, pump is running backwards, your relay is failing, fuel filter was not replaced, or the installation was incorrect.

And seriously, if English is not your first language, say so so we can cut you some slack. I can understand as I lived overseas for several years and it took me time to learn the language. If English is your first language, buy a book on grammar and punctuation!

"Let's eat, Grandma!" versus "Let's eat Grandma!"

"Eats shoots and leaves." versus "Eats, shoots, and leaves."

Learn proper grammar and punctuation so we can understand what you are trying to tell us. I don't know what you are thinking, I only know what you are saying.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 06-22-2019 at 11:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
AMG-SVT-FTW (06-22-2019), Hustlinkaos (06-23-2019), Strigoi (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG MERCEDES
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
There are times I wonder if I'm answering to a troll....

+1 on the above. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and tape the gauge to the windshield. You should have 78-82 psi pressure at idle. Pressure should not drop more than a few pounds at max throttle and redline. If pressure drops more than a few psi, adapter harness is missing, pump is running backwards, your relay is failing, fuel filter was not replaced, or the installation was incorrect.

And seriously, if English is not your first language, say so so we can cut you some slack. I can understand as I lived overseas for several years and it took me time to learn the language. If English is your first language, buy a book on grammar and punctuation!

"Let's eat, Grandma!" versus "Let's eat Grandma!"

"Eats shoots and leaves." versus "Eats, shoots, and leaves."

Learn proper grammar and punctuation so we can understand what you are trying to tell us. I don't know what you are thinking, I only know what you are saying.
Originally Posted by SICAMG
You really have to put some periods in your story LOL. But all kidding aside....put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what you have and that can really help you a lot knowing what it is. Sounds like she is way to low on pressure.
I tried to fix all the grammar. I am going to post some pictures of the dash command while the car is running, pictures of the car itself and the work I had done to it prior to this problem starting.
But I am sorry, I'm just human and everybody makes mistakes, I was trying to post this thread while driving, this was not smart either, I'm sure I'll hear plenty of comments about that as well. but I was just kind of freaked out when all of this first started. Just wanted to get some answers ASAP. but I still appreciate both of your advice and hope we can all Hertz together thanks.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-question.html
Here is my pressure testing procedure.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 781 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Note: multiple edits as I reviewed the previous posts....bear with me.

The 60-94 filter/regulator is incorrect one for your car. It should be a 64-94 part number for an E55.

FWIW, I used to work, many years ago, for Teledyne Movible Offshore. Pipe welding is *NOT* an easy thing to do and requires significant knowledge and skill to prevent a blowout that costs millions of dollars and destroys the environment for years. If you f**k up, people die. So...don't f**k up. You have my respect for your skill.

EDIT!: Your photo of the fuel filter/regulator show a price of ~$158!!! No way! My maintenance records show I paid $489 and $418 for my filter/regulator in 2015 and 2018. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. (To quote Shakespeare.) I'm thinking you have the wrong fuel filter/regulator in your tank.

Addendum: 470-60-94 filter/regulator was not used in a USA E55. The 470-24-94 and 470-51-94 filter/regulator were used in the USA E55 but required the pumps 470-17-94. The 470-00-00 pumps' fittings are not compatible with the previous filter/regulators and must use the 470-64-94 filter/regulator.

EDIT, EDIT: You installed the filter/regulator for an E500, not an E55. Wrong part for your car. Stop driving the car until you can install the E55-specific part. Welcome to AMG; All Money Gone.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 06-25-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Hustlinkaos (08-17-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
broom
Originally Posted by tw2
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-question.html
Here is my pressure testing procedure.
Nice thread, very descriptive...thanks for the detail.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
W211 E55 AMG & W163 ML270
Originally Posted by boosted305
Nice thread, very descriptive...thanks for the detail.

Not sure if it's been said. But have you checked the posotive and negative are correct on both your pumps. And did you remember to put the round rubber seal on your filter lid on ?

Not the one on the tank itself but between the lid and the basket
Hustlinkaos (08-17-2019)