Purchase dilemma: E55 vs new M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW M5
Originally Posted by Bikr Boy
There is a 17 year old kid on this board giving his opinions based on riding with his dad in an E55?? Why is he allowed on here when he obviously cannot add any insight as to ANYTHING? Whoever you are JDUB please go back to video games and leave the driving comparisons to the people who actually DRIVE the cars!!!

leave it out "bikrboy" - very adult name there.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:59 AM

No dilemma here

I'm also a huge fan of BMW (pre-Bangle). The E39 M5 is my 6th Bimmer and no doubt my favorite. This one's a keeper!

The current 5, 6, 7 and Z4 do absolutely nothing for me. I would definitely pick an E55 over the new M5 any day. With my eyes closed

The sad part of all this is the new M5 will probably be a blast to drive, but I can't get past the exterior or interior.

p.s. who wants to pay $90k for a car you're partially satisfied with.

Last edited by blue-max; 07-09-2004 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2004, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by blue-max
I'm also a huge fan of BMW (pre-Bangle). The E39 M5 is my 6th Bimmer and no doubt may favorite. This one's a keeper!

The current 5, 6, 7 and Z4 do absolutely nothing for me. I would definitely pick an E55 over the new M5 any day. With my eyes closed

The sad part of all this is the new M5 will probably be a blast to drive, but I can't get past the exterior or interior.

The best part even if m5 gonna be faster you can mod e55 with Stephen mods, and kill it anytime in a straight line tho
Old 07-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Almost a Member!

A posting by a 17 year old non-owner? No offense taken. I've already admitted that I've never rolled away from the parking lot in an E55. There are plenty of ways that almost anyone can contribute to a message board. For instance, if you want E55 torque and HP curves, I'll post them. But I also agree with others in the sense that the audience deserves for the source to be properly identified. Did I get those E55 power curves from the MB web site, or did I draw them with Excel from "memory." Did the E55 plow through turn two at Road Atlanta in my hands, according to a road test article, or did my friend Harvey say he'd heard that from somewhere? There is no shortage of commentary on the new BMW E60 M5, but I've not seen a single posting based upon experience with the car.

Now back to the issue of my original posting. The looks of a car are there for all to see, subjective, and therefore irrelevant. A contest for top of the hill in torque, horsepower, acceleration, or speed is futile. There is almost no way to blend luxury, comfort, practical passenger capacity for 4 or 5 people, and tremendous road-going performance without making some trade-offs. It's the trade-offs that I want to know about before I buy a $90,000 car.

It takes an owner to have knowledge of some trade-offs. For instance, with regard to the E39 M5 that I absolutely love. Did you know that the E39 M5 engine warms up VERY slowly, that you need to carry extra oil with you on a long trip, that there's been a subtle rattle in the back of my car for 40,000 miles that the dealer can't find and fix, or that a road hazard injury to the sidewall of my rear tire left me stranded in the middle of nowhere, because the M5 has no spare? Maybe you live in Toronto, Canada only three miles from work and don't want a car that you have to pamper almost every time you drive it, because the engine never has time for warm up. Maybe you live in Reno, Nevada and don't like the idea of crossing the desert out of cell phone range without a spare tire? You won't find those issues addressed in magazine test reports.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by rsteele
It takes an owner to have knowledge of some trade-offs. For instance, with regard to the E39 M5 that I absolutely love. Did you know that the E39 M5 engine warms up VERY slowly, that you need to carry extra oil with you on a long trip, that there's been a subtle rattle in the back of my car for 40,000 miles that the dealer can't find and fix, or that a road hazard injury to the sidewall of my rear tire left me stranded in the middle of nowhere, because the M5 has no spare? Maybe you live in Toronto, Canada only three miles from work and don't want a car that you have to pamper almost every time you drive it, because the engine never has time for warm up. Maybe you live in Reno, Nevada and don't like the idea of crossing the desert out of cell phone range without a spare tire? You won't find those issues addressed in magazine test reports.
I never had problem with E39 M5 engine slowing in warming up nor did it consume any oil after initial 1k miles. I did had an o-ring problem that was covered under warranty.

I would suspect you had the 1st year M5 which are known to be problem plagued. At least by its last model year, M5 are quiet good in assembly.

E55 is not bullet proof either. I had problems with alignment, air matic, and brakes. I also have a small rattle from rear windshield.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blue-max
I'm also a huge fan of BMW (pre-Bangle). The E39 M5 is my 6th Bimmer and no doubt may favorite. This one's a keeper!

welcome to the forum and nice first post
Old 07-09-2004, 01:38 PM

2004 E55 tectite grey/charcoal
Originally Posted by Jdub87(im back)
i feel the old M5 is a much more involving car than the current E55, dont get me wrong the immense power on offer by the E55 is great, but also being an auto it is quite uninvolvnig for the driver. BMWs driver responses are excellent, in the old m5 you can feel the surface of the road you are driving over in your bum through the seat. the steering is crisp, and the balance of the car is very hard to beat. lets hope the new m5 will again be as involving as the e39.

A seventeen year old rates the E55 uninvolving for the driver while sitting in the passenger seat while his dad test drives it. Well that does it for me-guess I'll have to sell my E55 and buy an ugly M5. LOL
Old 07-09-2004, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Why dont you guys knock it off already. You are acting like 17 year olds more than the kid is.

T
Old 07-09-2004, 02:45 PM

Just having a little fun with the kid, Doc. If you've read all his posts you will see he deserves it.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Thanks rsteele those are pretty good points.

I have noted a design flaw in the new 5 series that is not likely to be covered by magazines.

I use telematics all the time in my cars and I find it shocking that the numeric keypad is missing in the new 5. This means if you have to key in someone's extension by name, you will not be able to do so in the BMW.

You'll need a cheat sheet to call 1-800-BMW-HELP as nowhere on the screen or on the dash would show you that BMW-HELP = 269-4957.

I have been very happy with my E55 no zero squeaks or rattles.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:18 PM

rsteele
As you said the looks are subjective and you can judge for yourself. You mainly want to know about trade-offs for the e55. So far my e55 has been fast, comfortable, very well put together. Absolutely no rattles so far-feels very solid. As others have mentioned the handling probably is not as good as the new M5 will be although the ride will probably be better. The car is heavy and does understeer but for a two ton sedan it actually handles quite well in my opinion. It could probably benefit from better tires as the original equipment Conti's are not very good. I quess it depends where your priorities are. If you like pushing your car to the handling limits you might not like the e55 although I have never come close to the limit myself. If you want a car that will get you noticed it is not the e55. Most people don't really know what it is or what it's capable of. Personally I love my e55 and although I am sure the new M5 will be a great car the looks just turn me off. It would be nice if you could actually test drive an e55-would help a lot with your decision.

Last edited by AMGe55; 07-09-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by krispykrme
I never had problem with E39 M5 engine slowing in warming up nor did it consume any oil after initial 1k miles. I did had an o-ring problem that was covered under warranty.

I would suspect you had the 1st year M5 which are known to be problem plagued. At least by its last model year, M5 are quiet good in assembly.

E55 is not bullet proof either. I had problems with alignment, air matic, and brakes. I also have a small rattle from rear windshield.
These are not problems that significantly alter my opinion of my car, but for some people these might be important. This was more to illustrate that there is an degree of intimacy that comes with ownership.

I have a 2001 M5. The oil consumption is not bad at all, but I do occasionally need to add oil between oil changes, and sometimes I am nowhere near the opportunity to purchase BMW's recommended oil. I always carry a spare can.

I had a 540i before my M5. Even in cold winter weather the oil temperature in the 540i was normal in about 1/2 mile. In the M5 the engine temperature on a cold day isn't high enough for full rpm usage for several miles. Again, not a significant problem for me. For some who have long, cold winters and live close to work, it might be an issue. The M5 is certainly very drivable, even if not fully warmed.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AMGe55
rsteele
...It would be nice if you could actually test drive an e55-would help a lot with your decision.
You guys have been a help. Thanks. So who's doing to let me drive their car?! ;=) Actually, I have a good friend with an E55, who is happy to oblige. I don't want to do that frivolously unless a decision is imminent and I know what to look for on the test drive. If all I learn from the test drive is that the E55 has great torque, it will be an opportunity wasted.

Cheers.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:16 PM

I, like rsteele, currently drive an E39 M5 and am looking to make the same transition, and appreciate all the feedback -even from JDUB87(!), who's observations may be from the passenger seat, but not off the mark, based on my test drive of an E55 yesterday.

Rsteele, FYI, I have the same rattle (actually clunk) driving over certain types of pavement (despite recent replacement of various components including sway bars), starting at around 35K miles.

Krispykrme, respectfully, if you didn't add oil regularly to your E39 M5, I'm astonished. I believe the official estimate is one pint per 1K miles, and though this is somewhat a function of driving style, my experience has been close to that over 42K miles. Fortunately we have a lot of Mobil gas stations in the North East dispensing synthetic 5W30, so I don't need to load my trunk up with it!

PS: I had posted a question elsewhere on this messageboard re driving an E55 in the snow. Any feedback would be appreciated. I drive my current M5 (with 17" wheels and appropriate tires in the winter) year round and don't want to switch to a car that needs to be garaged for the winter, since I am short of garages and long on the idea of only having one car!
Old 09-12-2004, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by pnoble
PS: I had posted a question elsewhere on this messageboard re driving an E55 in the snow. Any feedback would be appreciated. I drive my current M5 (with 17" wheels and appropriate tires in the winter) year round and don't want to switch to a car that needs to be garaged for the winter, since I am short of garages and long on the idea of only having one car!
With snow tires I'm sure the E55 will do just as well. It hardly snows where I am but I was caught once in 2 inches with summer (!) 235/275 Pilot Sports tires in my W210 E55. It was a dangerous situation but I managed to drive down from the mountain slowly with the ESP (MB traction control) kicking in a lot.

Like the W210, the W211 also does NOT have limited slip differentials but with the electronics and a set of good winter tires, you should be ok.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
A confession from the outset: I'm a traditional BMW addict and new to this forum.

I have a 2001 BMW E39 M5. I love it, but it will have to be replaced within a year or so. I am undecided between a MB E55 AMG and the next E60 M5. The E55 is a great car; the next M5 will be a great car. I came to this forum to learn more about the E55. I started to post on another M5 vs. E55 thread, but all of the, "my-phallus-is-bigger-than-yours" stuff was disappointing, so I thought a new thread was in order. In truth, I can buy and modify a Cadillac CTS-V right now for 600 hp and still pay much less than the cost of either the M5 or the E55. I haven't test driven the E55 AMG. I gather that none of you has test driven the E60 M5, so let's give each other some space.

If you really want to learn about the next M5, check out the following:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43551

The next M5 will be a very entertaining and versatile luxury car. I like the looks of the next M5. Arguably, the E55 exterior and even more so the interior are better looking. The E55 and M5 will differ in their personalities. The next M5 will be lighter than the E55. It should handle very well. It will be very high performing...and very high-reving to achieve that performance. I want to learn more about the E55: its personality, its positive attributes, and its deficiencies. I already anticipate that the E55 offers effortless power and elegance.

I'm honestly looking for information...not a polarized debate. There is no need to "defend" the E55 against the M5. I know the E55 is a great car.

I thank you for any input in advance.
Like you, I considered holding out for the new M5. I just returned my 540i sport when the lease expired last month. I was very skeptical of going with a Benz because they just don't drive like a BMW, in the sense that they are not as driver involving.

But the reality is that I wouldn't buy an M5 until its second model year. (I never buy a car when it first comes out because it still has lots of bugs to be worked out). So that means waiting until late 2006 or early 2007 for an M5. Really left me with no choice.

Now, the truth is that I really love my E55 and enjoy driving it more than I did my 540. No regrets, and I will probably keep it even when the new M5 is out.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:47 PM

Enzom,

I have to turn in my E39 M5 in December and though I am 2 or 3 on the list for an E60, I doubt it will be released in time and I share your reservations re getting it first shot (and I also don't like the new design direction). So I'm also seriously considering getting an E55.

Since you are also in NJ, my question is: are you planning to use it year round? If so what are you plans re snow wheels/tires? I have asked re E55 suitability for winter/ snow elsewhere on this message board but have not so far received much in the way of feedback.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:16 AM

I have not read this whole thread nor do i intend to because of the risk that i might come away dumber then was when i started reading. I will however give my impression on the E55 and talk about past experience with the E39 M5. The new M5 is a car that you will be getting into every day and will drive fast i have no problem saying that. The E55 in my opinion is a car that some would think is more of a luxury car and high performer at the same time which it is. However the E55 is an absolute monster. After extensive seat time in the E55 both my father and I can not deny that once you go even half throttle you can not help but surrender to the cry of the 55 and let it rip. I have no doubt that you would find full satisfaction in the 55 and smile everytime you touched the gas pedal. My dad did own a M5 for a short time and i have to say that i loved driving that car just as much. The M5 is a wonderful car and has many positive attributes of its own. While one or two reviews have stated that the M5 does not hold the handling superiority over the E55 that some had assumed it would i think it handles very differently then the E. My father was in a situation similiar to that which you are in now this time last year. Wait for the M5 or get the AMG? He got the AMG and has no regrets. He walked away from a 25+ year with relationship with Bavarian Motor Works and has not looked back once. As a little boy growing up I knew nothing but BMW, and my "daddy's" i dont like mercedes attitude rubbed off on me. When the time came I was the one who encouraged him to look into the E. My dad still is stubborn in that he still says that he will only drive the E55 and its the only benz for him. Given the keys to an M5 im really not convinced he would walk with them. The thing with the E55 is that it seems to have brought his perspective on performance automobiles to the next level, something which no BMW ever did. I see my dad in a GT3 or 911 Turbo before i see him back in a bemer and i think he feels the same. Whatever decision you make I am confident you will be satisfied. The M5 looks to be a n extremely exciting car and i must admit that reading about it puts a smile on my face. Go drive an E and see what you think. I doubt you will be unsatisfied it is a complete package and if your wife likes it as much as my mother did you might be forced to pull out the checkbook. If you go for the M5 I look forward to hearing your impressions. Sorry to ramble i hope this is all of some use to you.

Ben

Last edited by bmoores; 09-13-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey fellow Sugarland-ian!

Bemmer = bikes.
Bimmer = cars.

:p I love nitpicking.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:09 AM

W208 CLK320
Simply put: The E55 is a luxury sedan which will allow you to move very quickly with an effortless push of the gas pedal. The M5 is more agile, more performance-oriented, and more of a sports-car overall. However, the M5 is not nearly as luxurious or comfortable. It really depends on what you're looking for...
Old 09-13-2004, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/06m5.htm

It's important to order the interior color combination with care. Avoid the thousand island dressing/grey combo!