Sponsored by:

The Low Mileage Imperfect/Perfect E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
01 E55
The Low Mileage Imperfect/Perfect E55

I had posted on here that I was looking for a clean low milage 05-06 E55. Well.. it took a bit, and deals fall through, encountered any number of odd rationalizations on the part of some sellers.. It was to the point I was just going to spend more money and just buy a 12-13 E63 car. Anywho.. An 06 car popped up only about 60 miles south of me, it was at a small mom&pop dealership. Well.. with the vin posted, I looked it up on datamb and it had the things I was hunting for, was sitting at 76K miles. In speaking with the guy, it was not an auction car, but a trade in from the local ford dealership that he has a relationship with. He gets called when something he might find interesting comes in and gets a crack at it before it gets wholesaled. The story on the car it was a 2 owner car, bought as a CPO with only 7200 miles on it. The guy then tells me there's a "stack of service records in the glove box I can come look at".

I tell him I'll be down the following day. I asked for a couple pics, and in those pics it kind of looked like the rear pumper had been repainted.. but otherwise seemed good. Interior looked to be in good shape. The car was equipped with keyless-go in in speaking with him I asked him eif it was 100% good to go.. the report back was driver's door inop but the rest were fine.

I get there, and look over the car and everything seems in order, I gave the car a quick walk around The first thing I wanted to see this stack of service records and some manner of a carfax verifying the no accidents claim. Well, out come the service records, The dated back to 2009 and 17K miles, to include all the state inspection receipts. The car had been exclusively maintained at Mercedes of Richmond, and perfectly maintained.. iol changed on time, brake flushes on time, he got suckered for a power steering flush, and in the last 10K miles, the car had had it's batteries replaced, trans completely serviced, brakes, oil changed, plugs, wires, and complete front dive system (all pulleys and the belts) and all done at Mercedes of Richmond. I was shown an auto check and per that the car had not been in an accident. I also had a suspicion the prior owner was an older gentleman due to having paid for his $15 inspections with a check! lol

I was pretty much sold on the car at this point... barring anything super crazy... I look at the car and the rear phone antenna wire was visible, which seemed odd.. but ok.. and although the service upkeep on the car was on point, it was clear that the car was parked outside. The head lights are a bit foggy, and the rear corners of the headliner were starting to sag a bit, which I guess was from heat??.There were a couple scratches on the rear bumper.. nothing crazy.. roger that.. I drive the car, and everything works as it should. So.. it's deal time, now.. I have visions of service records in my head and wasn't eyeing the car as I might have... more on this in a bit..

We get back, kind of haggle a bit and we agree on a price of $13,500. done deal.. You know.. the door handle wasn't working, He was also going to get me the second key for the car and a VMI from his buddy at the Mercedes dealership. Oh, and all owners manuals, warranty booklets, service booklets etc were all there already..

I wasn't too worried about the headliner.. I priced out getting my E320 done locally and it came back at about 500 to do it in suede.. so.. no biggie. I did a restore on my 99's headlights for 17 and they came out killer.. so whatever. So it's really the bumper if I wanted that done.

I come back the following day to drive home my new commuter.. drive it all weekend.. it's fun, doing my thing then realize.. hey??? This thing is missing it's left fender badge?!?!? So.. I pay the money and get a actualy carfax on the car.. and while it did say the car was accident free.. there was damage reported with the front left fender. Whammy.. Well, the paint did look good there, and I guess since the badge was on the other side, I just over looked it.. well. that opens pandora's box a little.. I look at the lower front grill and it looks like it caught some thing on the road at some point and broke away from the lower part of the bumper. and it also cracked it, Whammy again.. I was annoyed at myself.. but again.. it was kind of tempered by what I paid for it, and also what I'm going to be using it for.

So there it is.. my imperfect/perfect E55 AMG.

Last edited by 90lxracer; 08-07-2019 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tettes (08-07-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Good buy....enjoy it.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
MB: E55 AMG, CL550, E3004M Cab + other makes :)
Nice pick up. Just made a similar purchase. Bone stock one-owner, older gentleman, maintained at Mercedes dealer exclusively. Same color combo but 2 years older and higher miles (138k) but similar story. Enjoy it!

btw I love the plate. I have been calling mine the "old man car" or "the old man"

Those headlamps should clear up easily. I am about to do the restoration on mine.

Any plans for it modification wise, or just maintain? I'd be wary of starting to pile the miles on as a car that has not been driven much as suddenly driving a lot can lead to gaskets starting to "complain" about it (or so I am told)...
Old 08-08-2019, 11:16 AM

01 E55
Originally Posted by jbaker1121
Nice pick up. Just made a similar purchase. Bone stock one-owner, older gentleman, maintained at Mercedes dealer exclusively. Same color combo but 2 years older and higher miles (138k) but similar story. Enjoy it!

btw I love the plate. I have been calling mine the "old man car" or "the old man"

Those headlamps should clear up easily. I am about to do the restoration on mine.

Any plans for it modification wise, or just maintain? I'd be wary of starting to pile the miles on as a car that has not been driven much as suddenly driving a lot can lead to gaskets starting to "complain" about it (or so I am told)...
I'm going to address the cosmetic stuff first. The headlights will be easy.. the ones on the 99 were WAY worse and it took about 40 min to get them looking new. The Turtle was kits works killer! I have friends who are painters and am talking with them about addressing the front bumper, and maybe the rear. Then it needs tint, and finally a full real detail and everything that goes with that.

Service wise, the only thing I didn't see was a rear diff service. So, I'd like to get that done. What's also not been touched, is the air suspension. So I will need to be prepared for when that decides to act silly.

Performance.. if you saw my mods for mileage.. i'd be inclined to do headers, new ic and ic pump, and a tune.

I believe the car has been driven.. more of a weekend thing though later in life. Looking at the receipts.. it seemed to have been driven 10K/year for a while, and then it dropped to about 5K, so I don't believe it had sat.. just only used for weekends?? I've driven it daily since buying and it's been right on time as far as things being used to being used... BUT as with anything time will tell. lol
Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
MB: E55 AMG, CL550, E3004M Cab + other makes :)
Originally Posted by 90lxracer
I'm going to address the cosmetic stuff first. The headlights will be easy.. the ones on the 99 were WAY worse and it took about 40 min to get them looking new. The Turtle was kits works killer! I have friends who are painters and am talking with them about addressing the front bumper, and maybe the rear. Then it needs tint, and finally a full real detail and everything that goes with that.

Service wise, the only thing I didn't see was a rear diff service. So, I'd like to get that done. What's also not been touched, is the air suspension. So I will need to be prepared for when that decides to act silly.

Performance.. if you saw my mods for mileage.. i'd be inclined to do headers, new ic and ic pump, and a tune.

I believe the car has been driven.. more of a weekend thing though later in life. Looking at the receipts.. it seemed to have been driven 10K/year for a while, and then it dropped to about 5K, so I don't believe it had sat.. just only used for weekends?? I've driven it daily since buying and it's been right on time as far as things being used to being used... BUT as with anything time will tell. lol
Good luck with it! I also need to some minor paint work from some scuffs over the years. I picked it up 1 week ago todya and have put 600 miles on it already (long weekend drive) and no complaints from the car or me, yet - besides that I need new tires....
Old 08-08-2019, 04:01 PM

01 E55
Originally Posted by jbaker1121
Good luck with it! I also need to some minor paint work from some scuffs over the years. I picked it up 1 week ago todya and have put 600 miles on it already (long weekend drive) and no complaints from the car or me, yet - besides that I need new tires....
May you have many many trouble free miles!! I feel I lucked out in a big way as far as the mechanicals *knocks wood*.. All major service work, and even tires are no more than 10k miles old.. I'd have to look, but I think the belts and pulley work was done in April of this year.. The last owner was on top of it right up to the point where he traded it in.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:10 AM

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
Thumbs up

You got a great deal on that car. It seems most of the cars need a bit of front spoiler/bumper repairs due to curbs etc. It looks to be well taken care of. I would check the pulleys, including the blower bearing. I would get clear marker front lights, maybe some leather conditioner, tint as you said and you are good to go.
Couple of us lately in Virginia.

Last edited by Fountain35; 08-09-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 AM

01 E55
Originally Posted by Fountain35
You got a great deal on that car. It seems most of the cars need a bit of front spoiler/bumper repairs due to curbs etc. It looks to be well taken care of. I would check the pulleys, including the blower bearing. I would get clear marker front lights, maybe some leather conditioner, tint as you said and you are good to go.
Couple of us lately in Virginia.

Thanks!! The puleys, actually the complete front drive system has been replaced within the last 10K, and was done at Mercedes of Richmond.. Dude paid like 3600 on that trip to the dealer! So score for me! I completely agree on the conditioner.. I want to have the car completely detailed here in the near future.. this goes with the tint,

I went by an interior guy that I was going to use for the headliner in my 320, and he was telling me that the 55's headliner can't be saved.. it would be best to replace.. BUT the rub is he doesn't have a source for that particular material. (Orion Grey Alcantera) But the cost for him to do the work wasn't hateful, just need to source the material. So.. any leaneds from anyone on that front would be great appreciated! lol
Old 08-09-2019, 11:36 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Stole it!! clean and great find!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd