Sponsored by:

New E55 owner introduction, and an odd radiator question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
New E55 owner introduction, and an odd radiator question

Hi all, wanted to introduce myself and I had an odd radiator question about my new E55 that I am looking for some guidance on!

First the fun stuff, then to business! Name is Matt and I am located in Seattle, WA area. Just picked up a 2003 E55 last week and couldn't be more in love with it! I had never been a big euro fan, but my wife bought a W204 C350 a few years ago (despite my pleading with her not to) and its turned out to be a fabulous car. I often find myself grabbing for her keys to run quick errands and such, so I decided to get a MB of my own! Had a few fun cars prior to this, most recently a couple C5 Corvettes, one coupe and one Z06, but none of them can compare to this E55! The shear power and acceleration from this car are remarkable, not to mention the superior interior and other creature comforts! (please excuse the dirty car, it was washed just after this picture, just don't have many good ones handy).

I know the 03's have a bit of a bad reputation but this example seemed to be clean and well cared for with many of the problem areas/maintenance items already addressed so I decided to take a gamble (radiator and hoses, intercooler pump, ball joints and control arms, trans/diff service, valve cover gaskets, plugs/coils, etc.). I am now the 3rd owner. The first owner had the car until 2017 and ~65k miles, the second owner for about 2 years/20k, and I picked the car up with 86k on the clock - not too shabby! Car was dealer serviced its entire life under the first owner and the 2nd owner was an enthusiast who did most of his own work/maintenance, as I plan to do.

Here is my question...

The 2nd owner replaced the original radiator with another Valeo that was purchased from FCPEuro in 01/2018. The part number for this radiator is 211500802 (VAL-732855). Now, I have been reading/researching/searching the forum/searching google etc. and can not find this 211500802 part number referenced anywhere. In my research it seems that Valeo part A2115003102 replaced the original Valeo part A2115000202, with the 202 known to be the 'leaky' radiator that was responsible for causing transmission and torque converter damage in these cars. Where is the -802 part number coming from, and is it an updated design from the -202? Is it "safe" to use? FCPEuro no longer carries this part it seems just two different Nissen Radiators with -3202 P/N's.

Here is a picture of the P/N I located on the Driver side of the radiator

I would hope that by 2017-18 when this radiator was produced that the design flaw with the original radiators were corrected. I know the preferred radiators are the Behr units. Is it worth replacing again at this point?

Interestingly enough, after I bought the car and was digging through all the old service records I found out this car had the torque converter replaced by MB at 56k. I presume this was due to glycol contamination although I cant be certain. Who knows what other damage may have been done to the transmission in that time. For now I just plan to enjoy it, and if the transmission lets go Ill take care of that down the road. I still think this car is an incredible value and would be happy to put a few grand into her to keep her on the road!

(yes, that is my window sticker - I am a sucker for these things with all my cars!)

Other than that, no real plans for this car other than to keep her stock and enjoy her as the fine engineers at MB intended. Few maintenance items in the pipeline such as rear brakes, engine and trans mounts, etc. Ill be around the forums soaking up some knowledge and sharing progress and updates with the car along the way!

Cheers all!

Last edited by tuddy253; 10-03-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 10-03-2019, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Congratulations Matt,

I think that your radiator is fine for now. The good thing about FCP Euro is that their parts are guarantee for life.
Just send in the old part (with proof of purchase), and they'll send you a new one free of charge. Oh, and I didn't see any dirt of your E55.
The following users liked this post:
coupesedan (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:14 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I wouldn't worry about the radiator. It will be fine. Great looking car. Hard to know what the story with the transmission is but just keep 3k aside and there are some great transmission rebuilders in your part of the world if things go bad.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:02 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Thank you both for the feedback and warm welcome! Thankfully the silver hides the dirt well, but this certainly wasn't in the best shape at the time of taking the picture. These wheels were caked with brake dust and I may actually look into some different front pads when I do the rear brakes, the dust generated from these current pads is awful!

I figured the radiator would be ok, but glad to get the affirmation on that one. Its one of those things you hate to let go if you know you can do something about it!

Thanks again!
Old 10-04-2019, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tuddy253
These wheels were caked with brake dust and I may actually look into some different front pads when I do the rear brakes, the dust generated from these current pads is awful!
A lot of people recommend Akebono pads for the E55, unfortunately they don't make them for the E63.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
Originally Posted by Yuille36
A lot of people recommend Akebono pads for the E55, unfortunately they don't make them for the E63.
Meyle, EBC and others make ceramic pads for all the 6.2s. None of the lowdust nodust pads have amazing bite but they work.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by coupesedan
Meyle, EBC and others make ceramic pads for all the 6.2s. None of the lowdust nodust pads have amazing bite but they work.
Yes...I'm aware as I'm running Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Pads with Zero Dust and Noise. They absolutely do not squeak or squeal.
But they don't have the great initial bite, as OEM. But I'm not complaining, great trade off any how.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
If it was me I would call FCP Euro and ask them about the part number just to be sure it's not an issue. Your car is identical to mine. Where do you live in Washington?
Old 10-05-2019, 12:39 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Fountain35
If it was me I would call FCP Euro and ask them about the part number just to be sure it's not an issue. Your car is identical to mine. Where do you live in Washington?
Well it sounds like you have a beautiful E55 then

Great idea, I had been giving this some consideration as well but thought I would make a stop in the forums first to see what the community may know. I'll report back on what they have to say in case anyone comes across this thread later during a search. I am just south of the Seattle area (just updated my profile).

Thanks all for the suggestions on the different pad options as well!