Sponsored by:

Cluster is blank and other issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05' E55 Wagon, 18' S90 T6, 00' M5, 19' F150
Cluster is blank and other issues

I went to start my 2005 E55 wagon today after letting it sit for about four weeks and the battery sounded tired, but it started. Once running, my gauge cluster and HVAC controls were completely blank. I let the car run for 45 minutes and the HVAC lights were dim now. I unplugged both batteries and charged them. Same issue with charged batteries. I checked the fuses and the SAM area and everything seems fine.

I ran DAS on it and got an "-i-" error for the instrument cluster. It won't communicate with it at all. Usually DAS shows an -F- for things it doesn't like.

Any ideas where to start looking? I have found some other people with this issue in the past and it seems like having the batteries disconnected for a while would end up fixing the problem. I have had the car for 5 years now and have never seen this one yet.

Other issues I have noticed as of now:
lowbeams are on no matter what.
supercharger did not engage on a short trip yesterday

Last edited by ekalb; 10-31-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:49 PM

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
Did you (properly)test the batteries? If they are older and they have been left in a discharged state for an extended period, they may be gone.
Did you go into the controller with the "i" and check for codes or events?
Low beams.... You did not mention if they are HID or halogen?

http://support.rollsbattery.com/supp...tery-sulfation
The following users liked this post:
ekalb (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pmarino
Did you (properly)test the batteries? If they are older and they have been left in a discharged state for an extended period, they may be gone.
Did you go into the controller with the "i" and check for codes or events?
Low beams.... You did not mention if they are HID or halogen?

http://support.rollsbattery.com/supp...tery-sulfation
I did test them both with my volt meter after charging them. Both batteries are mercedes branded and have both been replaced within the last three years. Not that the battery may not be the issue here, but that’s the background on them.

bi xenon headlamps.

I couldn’t even read the events for the cluster. It just will not acknowledge it when I try to dig into.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:31 PM

Checking the batteries properly has been beaten to death. Doesn't sound like the car is driven much that is why I'm suspicious of the batteries. From the link I posted " When hard sulfate is present, the battery shows a false voltage, higher than it's true voltage, fooling the voltage regulator into thinking that the battery is fully charged. This causes the charger to prematurely lower it's current output, leaving the battery discharged".
I assume you gone through the fuses.
When did the low beams get stuck "on" before or after the cluster situation?
With all the rain the east cost has gotten I'd also check for water intrusion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
211_dual_battery_system.pdf (1.79 MB, 53 views)

Last edited by Pmarino; 10-31-2019 at 03:40 PM.
ekalb (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 04:17 PM

Checking the batteries properly has been beaten to death. Doesn't sound like the car is driven much that is why I'm suspicious of the batteries. From the link I posted " When hard sulfate is present, the battery shows a false voltage, higher than it's true voltage, fooling the voltage regulator into thinking that the battery is fully charged. This causes the charger to prematurely lower it's current output, leaving the battery discharged".
I assume you gone through the fuses.
When did the low beams get stuck "on" before or after the cluster situation?
With all the rain the east cost has gotten I'd also check for water intrusion.
Well, Everything is back to normal.....for some reason. Dash cluster is fine, headlights are working properly etc. I found another forum with a guy who had the exact same issue over in the UK and it seems like just waiting a few days solved his issue as well. I kept the car in the garage for a solid 24 hours now and maybe that was enough time to dry out whatever was malfunctioning.

Its my wife's car and she spent a bunch of time cleaning out pine needles and leaves from around the hood area. I absolutely agree its a water ingress issue, but I'm not sure where. Maybe sunroof drains? I really wish it was something obvious, all fuse locations look dry.

I really appreciate the help and battery link!
Old 10-31-2019, 04:57 PM

Check the fire wall carpets inside both drivers and passenger and also pull back the carpeting in the foot wells (cowel drains).
Sun roof will be front A-pillars and overhead controls as well as rear foot wells.
ekalb (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 05:09 PM

Check the fire wall carpets inside both drivers and passenger and also pull back the carpeting in the foot wells (cowel drains).
Sun roof will be front A-pillars and overhead controls as well as rear foot wells.
I definitely will. thanks!
Old 10-31-2019, 05:23 PM

It's worth it to pull the sill plate and wedge your hand down between the body and carpet. Along that area many electronic components and connectors live. If there is any moisture, you'll need to pull the carpet up as much as possible and get a space heater and or a heat gun (set on low) and start drying out the foot wells. You may have to pull the front seats.(Think I'v been through this before?)

Last edited by Pmarino; 10-31-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Notdke9fdkfjekrjrkj123 (10-31-2019)