Sponsored by:

Passing IL Emissions with a Eurocharged Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CLS55, CL63
Passing IL Emissions with a Eurocharged Tune

I purchased my 55 AMG from Indiana last year (no emissions) and now my IL renewal is due, requiring emissions testing. I tried once and got an "incomplete" because a few sensors were not registering. No CEL. IL, or at least my emissions station, does not use sniffers, only OBDII connection.

I then used the torque pro app and have the following showing. Any tips on how to pass emissions with the tune? The previous owner did not provide a tuning device. I spoke with Eurocharged and they will not provide me with an OEM tune without re-purchasing a tune (at a cost of $1000)

According to the seller, primary cats and resonator have also been removed.

Passing IL Emissions with a Eurocharged Tune-9epdxtp.png
Old 11-22-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Do they put a sniffer in the tail pipe or is it just an OBD2 scan with possible visual?

If they put a sniffer like California you'll need to put the stock exhaust back on or have a hook up at a emission center to avoid the sniffer.

Without the sniffer there are a few options:

Option 1:

Code the rear O2s out via Star.

Option 2:

Get two O2 bungs and have an exhaust shop weld them closer so the factory rear O2 sensors can reach. Cap the rear ones in the mid pipe with O2 bung caps if you have them. Get mini cat extenders. Install them, clear codes and rear O2 CEL should be not reappear anymore. You have a variety of options that work regarding the mini cat extenders:
1. http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini-cat-cel-fix.html
2. https://www.americanmuscle.com/prosp...gree-7917.html
3. https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o...verter-single/

The $1000 quote sounds off. Eurocharged and Race IQ both sell their 55/M113k ECU tunes around $299-399. They both send you a USB to OBD2 flashing cable to flash you tunes. All you need is a PC laptop. If you need help with a better price send me a PM and I can direct you on who to reach out.

With your current tune they have the rear 02 sensors off via the tune. Unfortunately, that causes the issue you have right now. Where the monitors will stay in "incomplete" and won't pass any emissions. It's fine for other states that don't enforce emissions.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:36 PM

CLS55, CL63
Thanks. In the testing station I went for my "incomplete", there is neither a visual inspection nor a sniffer. Just an OBDII hookup to check for codes.

I like the idea of coding out the O2 via Star and leaving my exhaust as is. Is that an easy process? I see Star computers are anywhere from $400-1000 and probably knockoffs, I may call my mechanic and ask
Old 11-22-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Most Indy Mercedes Shops have a Star machine that can do it for you. You can also find them online as well. The procedure isn't hard to do. In Star go to development data, control unit adaptation, variant coding, implizite codierung, item number 183.

I forgot to mention since the tune you currently have has the rear 02s tuned out you're going to have to get a new tune from them or another tuner where they don't. So the monitors can be set to "Ready or Complete."
Old 11-22-2019, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Do you have a check engine light ? The reason I had my tune with Kleemann because they can remove the codes.
I pass CA inspection for the last 10 years (without visual inspection)
Old 11-22-2019, 11:18 PM

CLS55, CL63
Originally Posted by Das_it16
Most Indy Mercedes Shops have a Star machine that can do it for you. You can also find them online as well. The procedure isn't hard to do. In Star go to development data, control unit adaptation, variant coding, implizite codierung, item number 183.

I forgot to mention since the tune you currently have has the rear 02s tuned out you're going to have to get a new tune from them or another tuner where they don't. So the monitors can be set to "Ready or Complete."
OK so bottom line here there's no way around me having to go to Eurocharged and buy the $1000 or $300 tune I already have to get through emissions?
Old 11-22-2019, 11:19 PM

CLS55, CL63
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Do you have a check engine light ? The reason I had my tune with Kleemann because they can remove the codes.
I pass CA inspection for the last 10 years (without visual inspection)
I do not have a CEL.

I really like the responsiveness and power of my car and would hate to have to mess with it just to slide through emissions every year or two
Old 11-25-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
W211 e500 (Sold), w204 c180, w203 c180, w201 190e, W219 CLS 55
To my understanding you need to turn the sensors back on since they are turned of by the tune? One option is to use star. Then you need to use defoulers so you won't thrown a cel. This will not affect your cars preformance.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Have had my E63 smogged multiple times with a Eurocharged tune installed with no issues. I'm in California too.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:54 PM

CLS55, CL63
My mechanic said that coding out with star wouldn't work, it would still show as modified. I may have to seek a second opinion from a new local specialty shop for MB (Chicago), or an exhaust or tuning shop.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:40 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
My mechanic said that coding out with star wouldn't work, it would still show as modified. I may have to seek a second opinion from a new local specialty shop for MB (Chicago), or an exhaust or tuning shop.
idk where you were quoted that

I can get you a cable and stock tune for $300. You will want to run the stock file and if you did have exhaust work done get o2 90 degree extenders and you will pass
Old 07-11-2024, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E63 AMG Sedan
Bringing this one back from the dead. I have long tubes from Eurocharged who did the install and tune. Car passed inspection for 3 years until the battery quit. New battery goes in and the non-existent O2 sensors are no longer showing as ready so I can pass inspection. It seems the tune works if the O2 sensors showed ready at the time of tune but not sure how to get them back that way. No check engine lights but 3 not ready results on the ODB test. Texas has just passed a law that next year there will be no inspection at all unless you live in a county of a major city which will still require emissions test. If I lived 15 miles away in a neighboring county this wouldn't be an issue.

I have no real knowledge of defoulers or O2 extenders. Has anyone had success with those and what did it take? Looking for any advice.

Of note, I didn't drive the car for 2 years. Sat in my garage. New battery in, air shocks filled right up to pressure and the car started right away. I miss driving this car so damn much.
Old 07-11-2024, 01:45 PM

CLS55, CL63
in the end, mine just one day showed up as ready

I couldn't tell you how many miles or drive cycles that happened. I gave up trying to pass emissions and just rode with the expired sticker. Got a ticket once for the price of one year's renewal, big deal. But if I wanted to, I could pass emissions with it today.
The following users liked this post:
Chief36 (07-11-2024)