W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have reloacted the IAT sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
For those that have reloacted the IAT sensor

Would like to see some pics if you have available or get a simple idea on how to mount the stock IAT sensor into the intake plenum. Not sure if just drilling a hole and using loctite gasket 5699 and some pratley steel putty is the way to go, do not won't that thing blown out or boost leak or whatever, so obviously would like this done right. But I am battling to figure out a good way to mount it. Ps excuse the spelling error on title, should have proof read before posting and can't edit it.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 352 Likes on 303 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
I did this a while back. Mounted it up front near the K@N air filter and never saw any change in performance for what ever reason if that's what your after. i now have the IAT compensation turned off in the tune for the IAT so timing stays real consistent every time.
What are you trying to find out ??
Old 12-11-2019, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by SICAMG
I did this a while back. Mounted it up front near the K@N air filter and never saw any change in performance for what ever reason if that's what your after. i now have the IAT compensation turned off in the tune for the IAT so timing stays real consistent every time.
Wow are you serious bud. Are you running meth? I am very shocked to hear that you didn't see a drop in intake air temps and as result better timing? My goal currently is for the IAT sensor to see the true air temp reading after spraying meth, as currently my meth is effective until around 4500rpm then it bends around the sensor and the temp increase goes through the roof seeing up to 85c degrees on a 3rd gear pull. So I want to relocate the temp sensor into the intake plenum so the meth has done its job and the sensor/ecu will see much lower temps. So you are seeing the same intake air temps after moving your IAT sensor as before in the stock location. Damn that kind of shatters my dreams. I also started this thread to actually see how guys have mounted the stock sensor in the plenum, but I finally found the other thread that has some pics and got some ideas now. I am still convinced I should see a massive drop in intake temps with the new location. I have the same meth kit setup in another supercharged car and I can run all day long planted foot and not see more than 30c...
Old 12-11-2019, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
So no matter how high the actual IAT is, the timing stays advanced? Isn't that a little risky? Wouldn't in be better to keep the sensor happy with lower inner temps?
Old 12-11-2019, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Am I serious ???? Not sure about the meaning in that but here is what is done and why.
I run a very good cooling system and on every run ...1/2 mile event, temps never go above 115*. That's at 17lb's at sea level and 15.3'lbs at race track elevation.No meth as well.
That temperature is always closely monitored and if the temps stay there their are no issues. Everyone gets crazy with IAT but temps at 140-150 and below are really nothing to worry about. It is supercharged so it is to be expected. But....more power will come from lower temps and with lower temps comes more timing from the ECU. During logging I found that the timing was all over the place for what ever reason and aside from that even though the tune is commanding 25 degrees I never will see that.
And again moving the IAT sensor did nothing for me and didn't bother to investigate that any further.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:01 PM

Am I serious ???? Not sure about the meaning in that but here is what is done and why.
I run a very good cooling system and on every run ...1/2 mile event, temps never go above 115*. That's at 17lb's at sea level and 15.3'lbs at race track elevation.No meth as well.
That temperature is always closely monitored and if the temps stay there their are no issues. Everyone gets crazy with IAT but temps at 140-150 and below are really nothing to worry about. It is supercharged so it is to be expected. But....more power will come from lower temps and with lower temps comes more timing from the ECU. During logging I found that the timing was all over the place for what ever reason and aside from that even though the tune is commanding 25 degrees I never will see that.
And again moving the IAT sensor did nothing for me and didn't bother to investigate that any further.
Thanks for the feedback, I was asking about being serious and shocked in a manner of I was really surprised thst moving your sensor into the surge tank did not show you lower temperatures, but I was shocked mainly as I thought you were running meth, so thanks for clearing that up. Yes I also notice my timing is all over the place as well, so I want to get that stable and be able to hit a peak temperature of X amount and should stay there all day long with the foot planted as long as the meth keeps spraying. I see this in my other car and can run all day long at 90F..so it holds timing fantastically, I want to achieve the same result that I see in that car, which is also supercharged albeit alot smaller engine. Just a pain trying to figure out a way of mounting the sensor in the surge tanks trying to avoid obviously leaks and other issues.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
I am really crazy with how things are layed out with my car. Every time I would go to the track I would learn something new ....and would correct it.
Again my timing was all over and now holds real steady at 21-22 degrees . I run two 3.5 gallon tanks , one feeds the other and are filled with ice before the run. three pumps, two custom air to air intercoolers, and a single pass supercharger intercooler. I have a dual IAT gauge that monitors the tank temperature and the intake, independent from the OBD. I normally will not run in high temps at the track for two reasons , one racing in high heat sucks for me and it is not fun....stageing lane helmet, fire suit...blaaaaaa !!!! Two it is easy to control temps and make more power in good air, espcially at higher elevations.
What other car do you run that you are reffering to??

Last edited by SICAMG; 12-11-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:43 PM

I am really crazy with how things are layed out with my car. Every time I would go to the track I would learn something new ....and would correct it.
Again my timing was all over and now holds real steady at 21-22 degrees . I run two 3.5 gallon tanks , one feeds the other and are filled with ice before the run. three pumps, two custom air to air intercoolers, and a single pass supercharger intercooler. I have a dual IAT gauge that monitors the tank temperature and the intake, independent from the OBD. I normally will not run in high temps at the track for two reasons , one racing in high heat sucks for me and it is not fun....stageing lane helmet, fire suit...blaaaaaa !!!! Two it is easy to control temps and make more power in good air, espcially at higher elevations.
What other car do you run that you are reffering to??
You really have gone next level with your tank setup, nice. I dig the extra mile you going to. Other car is just an old supercharged mini cooper s, I see great results from the meth in that car also reading delta's across the intercooler and post meth nozzle and the temps are well under control purely with the meth, and that is what I want to achieve with this monster. Hopefully will find out soon enough if relocating that sensor will make a difference. BTW who did your tune that is modified to bypass the IAT readings, max timing I ever saw over the years was 19deg and that was at high elevation as well. I am finally back at sea level, and really want to benefit from it all
Old 12-11-2019, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Race IQ did it. I also run the engine pretty rich at 11.1 AFR and run 104 octane all the time and 108 when at the track to keep the pistons in there and happy.
I forgot to say that I also run a small shot of Nitrous to really bring temps down but have no idea what it ends up to be at the piston temperature wise.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:47 AM

Thanks alot SIC. So you relocated your IAT sensor as per your first post and with a shot of nitrous you didn't see much improvement in performance? Did you see at least a drop in temperature readings relocating the sensor? Also you say your put the sensor up top by the air filters, so does that mean it's literally reading the ram it temperature before throttle body even?
Old 12-12-2019, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I misunderstood, I thought you were reading intake temps before the compressor.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
No the NOS is after the factory sensor and is injected in the elbows of the intake manifolds , two nozzles , one each side, so no way to read that but of course real healthy power improvement.
As far as the relocation of the IAT sensor before the supercharger...yes temperatures where of course a much lower reading of ambient temps, but for what ever reason my timing was not much better so not sure if it took a little time under power for the ECU to get a grasp on that or what but no power improvement. I moved on to a different approach.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 AM

OK thanks, got you. Amazing how certain things of science we think is gospal and when put into effect we sometimes see the opposite of what expected or no result at all.. Like the learning and trying different things. I am of course hoping for a much better result with the IAT sensor now seeing true readings of the cooler air after the meth has done its job and hopefully the ecu won't be shy to throw timing at it. As a matter of interest your result did not see an improvement in timing or performance, were you still running pump fuel? Wonder if ****ty fuel quality and knock had a result of low timing, I am suspecting that could be a possibility
Old 12-12-2019, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
I think it was 50/50 mix of 104 and 93 but I don't believe I have ever had knock. When the engine is apart each time it looks mint inside.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:35 AM

I think it was 50/50 mix of 104 and 93 but I don't believe I have ever had knock. When the engine is apart each time it looks mint inside.
Cool thanks.