Sponsored by:

Weird cranking issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 07:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG Wagon
Weird cranking issue

I've been facing this issue over a month and is quite baffling. My car starts perfectly in the mornings/evenings and cooler weather. I park my car out during the day at office and I does get hot over here. When I try starting the car at noon time, it wouldn't start. I turn off the car and try again and again. Sometimes it starts in 3-4 tries and like today it was very hot outside and it took me 20 tries to get it started.

This issue is only when car is parked out directly under the sun and the outside temperature is hot. I use this as a daily driver and never has this issue happened anytime in the morning/evening time. On cooler days, it would start just fine no matter how long it is parked outside. Winter just got over here and the heat is in. Any thoughts? I also wanted to add, this happens when engine is cooled down and the weather is hot.

Battery checked - its fine
Could it be something to do with the Crank Position Sensor? I hope someone can help as I'd like to get this fixed otherwise the car will become pretty useless due to the hot weather.
Starter motor - Not sure this could be the problem as it starts absolutely fine most of the time.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:03 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
W211 e500 (Sold), w204 c180, w203 c180, w201 190e, W219 CLS 55
A bad cankshaft position sensor can give you this issue.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:55 PM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
Off topic, but are those secondary DTRL covered in a film, or are those yellow lights?

I have Yellow Fogs, and that secondary yellow light looks great.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG Wagon
Mysterious problem fixed accidentally

Just wanted to update this thread. As mentioned in my opening post the issue was weird and no error codes. I had replaced the CPS and that didn't fix the problem. I learnt to live with the problem and got used to several tries to start the car. The starting problem started even in colder days and mornings wherein earlier it was only during hot weather.

Recently, I replaced the engine oil level sensor (as in the thread below) to fix the issue of M mode not working on transmission as may members here have tried and it has worked for them.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post3847486

This didn't fix the transmission problem as M still upshifts top the next gear immediately as soon as I lift off the throttle. But what it fixed is my staring problem!! I have been driving the car for about a month and it cranks up like it always should. I'm not sure how the engine oil level sensor maybe related to my original problem, sure did fix the problem. I'm glad I didn't take the advise of the mechanics here who were telling me to replace the starter motor and the cycle of replacing something that's not broken.

Last edited by fazxs; 03-25-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
That’s odd, as my oil level sensor has not been working for years, and I don’t have a crank no start problem.