W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Oil in my Intake Manifold eventually burn off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 11:09 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
E63 AMG 2009 E55 AMG 2005 E63 AMG Wagon 2007
Will the Oil in my Intake Manifold eventually burn off?

Hi so I believe I may have overfilled the oil on my 09 E63 by a small amount. This may be why I’m getting brief puffs of blue smoke on random stop and go acceleration. I believe there may be some oil in my intake manifold. Now will this oil eventually burn off to where I won’t get anymore puffs of blue smoke out of the exhaust?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Saurabh914
Hi so I believe I may have overfilled the oil on my 09 E63 by a small amount. This may be why I’m getting brief puffs of blue smoke on random stop and go acceleration. I believe there may be some oil in my intake manifold. Now will this oil eventually burn off to where I won’t get anymore puffs of blue smoke out of the exhaust?
I'm not sure how excess oil would get in your intake manifold. But if your oil level is above the max line, you should drain off the excess ASAP.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:37 AM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
how many quarts did you fill...the M156 has a large sump and can accept 9.5 quarts which is over the books 9.2 quart fill up.

i fill up with 9.5-9.6 every oil change without issue. with draining the oil cooler.

you'll get lots of blue smoke if you're hooning around or coast down in gear from high rpm. the vacuum from coasting down from high RPM is so strong it'll suck the oil out of the crank case.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 05-24-2020, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by hachiroku
how many quarts did you fill...the M156 has a large sump and can accept 9.5 quarts which is over the books 9.2 quart fill up.

i fill up with 9.5-9.6 every oil change without issue. with draining the oil cooler.

you'll get lots of blue smoke if you're hooning around or coast down in gear from high rpm. the vacuum from coasting down from high RPM is so strong it'll suck the oil out of the crank case.
I probably should install a catch can, I have my cats removed so whenever I step on the gas hard a puff of smoke comes out. My car doesn’t misfire, idle rough, or consume an oil. :/
Old 05-24-2020, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by whoover
I'm not sure how excess oil would get in your intake manifold. But if your oil level is above the max line, you should drain off the excess ASAP.
I assume it’s being sucked up by the PCV into the intake but I don’t think I overfilled enough to drain out the car. Everything runs smooth, no issue expect for the puffs of smoke only when coming from a stop.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Saurabh914
I assume it’s being sucked up by the PCV into the intake but I don’t think I overfilled enough to drain out the car. Everything runs smooth, no issue expect for the puffs of smoke only when coming from a stop.
You haven't said how high it reads. There are several ways excess oil can damage an engine without affecting the running. Oil froth gets into the lubrication pathways and causes wear. Oil spilling into exhaust (the blue smoke you see) can destroy the catalysts. You really should check the level.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:54 PM

You haven't said how high it reads. There are several ways excess oil can damage an engine without affecting the running. Oil froth gets into the lubrication pathways and causes wear. Oil spilling into exhaust (the blue smoke you see) can destroy the catalysts. You really should check the level.
I have attached two photos of what the dipstick shows when the car is cold. Also a picture of my oil cap, there seems to be a little oil around the ring, don’t know if that’s normal. I have long tube headers so my cats have been removed so I am not worried there.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
the factory oil dip sticks are garbage. the updated part number reads over a quart under which my car now has.

do you know how many quarts you poured into your engine? and did you drain your oil cooler as part of your oil change?

here is my car with fresh 9.5 quarts with updated dip stick. it's blurry but my oil is reading well over the top of the indicator.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:03 PM

the factory oil dip sticks are garbage. the updated part number reads over a quart under which my car now has.

do you know how many quarts you poured into your engine? and did you drain your oil cooler as part of your oil change?

here is my car with fresh 9.5 quarts with updated dip stick. it's blurry but my oil is reading well over the top of the indicator.

I did not drain the oil cooler but I think the issue arose after I poured a quarter of a quart of 0W-40 a few weeks ago. After that the oil smoke started To appear from my exhaust. Also what’s the difference between my oil dipstick and the new one you showed?
Old 05-24-2020, 04:10 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
if you live in a climate that does not snow you should be using 5w-40. when I ran 0w-40 Mobil I'd lose oil. now I use 5w-40 Motul 8100 and haven't lost a drop since other than through the PCV hooning.

you really need to monitor how much you're pouring into your engine and draining out since you're using the updated dip stick. I believe the updated dipstick reads to 8.6 quarts to the top which is much lower than the 9.2 quarts stated for fill up with draining of oil cooler

Old 05-24-2020, 04:12 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
the original dipstick the whole measuring portion is one piece of plastic and over time the plastic breaks off into pieces hence the updated dipstick. the original made reading oil a breeze since the plastic was checkered which held onto oil which made reading very easy.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:19 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
here's info on the original dipstick and updated dip stick. mind you...the updated dipstick at FULL reads around 8.6 quarts if I recall correctly which is less than the factory fill of 9.2 quarts. both with draining of oil cooler.

Originally Posted by pmknapp
This is what I was told by a Mech at the strealership.
Bottom tab (end of stick) means your *&%$ if your oil level is running there.
Middle tab to the raised plastic tab means need to add oil.
Upper tab to the raised plastic tab means car is full and happy.
Was told its approx. 1.5 to 1.6 quarts from bottom raised tab to upper raised tab. Do not add if its between the tabs and the engine is hot or not sat for at least 30 minutes, Best check when cooled off and sat.
Can be inbetween the rasied tabs while engine is hot due to oil still in upper engine parts. Was told when cold, oil should not be above the raised tab due to possable engine problems, or Emission Control System problems.
Hope thsi helps.

​​​​​​​
Old 05-24-2020, 04:23 PM
SPONSOR

2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
your issue is probably that you coasted from high rpm which sucked oil through your PCV.

Originally Posted by Diabolis
The drain bolt on the M156 is not right at the very bottom and doesn't allow the crankcase to completely drain, so vacuuming it out gets more oil out. And, the M156 takes 9.5 L even if you don't drain the oil cooler, so 10 quarts is right on the money to the second decimal place.
​​​​​​​

Old 05-24-2020, 04:43 PM

your issue is probably that you coasted from high rpm which sucked oil through your PCV.

Thanks a lot for all the help and diagrams. I did not know that my updated dipstick was so misleading. Haven’t been burning oil much but yet again I only drive the car 5 times a month. I live in NY so it does get cold here but I don’t drive in the winter. I’m going to get an oil change soon and will drain my oil cooler and put the exact amount you quoted above. I wanted to switch to liquidmoly but haven’t since I’m more comfortable with putting the oil the car came with. I’m just going to run the car till the oil eventually burns out or have the manifold cleaned.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Assuming your dipstick is accurate (it looks reasonable), you can see that your level is high. The oil should not be above the upper red plastic part (lower in your upside-down picture). You can see oil halfway up the red plastic. If it were mine, I'd get the extra oil out since you see some burning.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:16 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09 E63
great info and thanks for sharing! I personally never get all 9+ quarts out when draining (and yes draining from one of the oil coolers; but on my last change I drained both coolers); so I add most, check, add a little more, check, and so on
Old 05-27-2020, 01:20 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
09 E63
Assuming your dipstick is accurate (it looks reasonable), you can see that your level is high. The oil should not be above the upper red plastic part (lower in your upside-down picture). You can see oil halfway up the red plastic. If it were mine, I'd get the extra oil out since you see some burning.
but this would be inconsistent per Hachiroku's comment that the reading actually shows short by about half a quart; so it its slightly over the upper point he might be all good, no?
Old 05-27-2020, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by anomadtoo
but this would be inconsistent per Hachiroku's comment that the reading actually shows short by about half a quart; so it its slightly over the upper point he might be all good, no?
I have found the dipsticks to be accurate. You're seeing burning oil when the dipstick reads overfull. The simplest explanation is that the dipstick is right.

It's your car. I offered my opinion on what I would do, but I'm not selling anything.