Sponsored by:

Different Coolant for split system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 09:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
99 CLK430
Different Coolant for split system?

Hey everyone. I hope you don't mind me jumping over here, but there is a TON more info here on modding the 113k. The SL guys seem to be preoccupied dealing with our suspension gremlins and vario roof leaks. So, here's my situation and although I've searched, I haven't really found any answers... Probably because it's a stupid question, but I'm not too familiar with the cooling system.

In a few days, I'll be receiving a Eurocharged ECU tune, 76mm pulley, belt wrap kit and split cooling. I was going to get the upgraded HE also, but I was told that installing it in the SL55 is way harder than the E55. I never track this car. I just drive through the Sierra Nevada mountains and up HWY 1 for fun. I'm going to see how well the split system works and hope I don't have to go full on with cooling upgrades. I get that the hose clips will make me angry, but I'm really wondering about the coolant. Should I use something different? I've read that mostly distilled water with Water Wetter will do wonders, but I keep reading that from general "cooling" posts, mostly NA engines.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
Originally Posted by Prana25
Hey everyone. I hope you don't mind me jumping over here, but there is a TON more info here on modding the 113k. The SL guys seem to be preoccupied dealing with our suspension gremlins and vario roof leaks. So, here's my situation and although I've searched, I haven't really found any answers... Probably because it's a stupid question, but I'm not too familiar with the cooling system.

In a few days, I'll be receiving a Eurocharged ECU tune, 76mm pulley, belt wrap kit and split cooling. I was going to get the upgraded HE also, but I was told that installing it in the SL55 is way harder than the E55. I never track this car. I just drive through the Sierra Nevada mountains and up HWY 1 for fun. I'm going to see how well the split system works and hope I don't have to go full on with cooling upgrades. I get that the hose clips will make me angry, but I'm really wondering about the coolant. Should I use something different? I've read that mostly distilled water with Water Wetter will do wonders, but I keep reading that from general "cooling" posts, mostly NA engines.

Any input would be appreciated.
split cooling won’t do anything for your SL with a 76mm pulley In Nevada. Get a heat exchanger and make sure you have an upgraded functional pump.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
Originally Posted by Amir_AMG
split cooling won’t do anything for your SL with a 76mm pulley In Nevada. Get a heat exchanger and make sure you have an upgraded functional pump.
SLs have a better HE anyways.

I’d wait and see the IATs...
Old 05-28-2020, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
I wouldn't bother on an SL. Make sure you have a new Bosch 010 pump and leave the rest alone. The SL has a large heat exchanger about the same surface area as the radiator, as opposed to the small one on our E55's. It's also a self-bleeding system.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 IWC
The question is can the SL55 HE fit our E55/CLS55?
Old 05-29-2020, 12:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
99 CLK430
Thanks for the prompt input. I'll see how the temp runs for a few days and if it's stable, I'll just return the split system.

Several years ago, I found that I couldn't pull away from a Chevy Cruz on the highway during a 110 degree day. Even the driver of the Chevy looked over at me like I was pressing the wrong pedal. I replaced the bosch pump the next day.

I'm going to put together a NorCal (Sacramento area) AMG drive soon. I have to make sure I can keep up with the newer participants.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:13 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
SL55 dont need an extra heat exchanger HE ? I just ordered one.
However for sure you wont want to do split cooling. 200 degrees engine coolant will get in the mix of the Intake charge cooling circuit.