W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$75,000 to spend on ANY car, what do you get???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
I've owned (2) C5's, so I know the cars Peter. The Viper isn't a daily driver like the Vette is, but that's why I have the E55. If I preferred a Vette over a Viper, I'd have one. If I wanted a new Z06 over my Viper, I'd get one. I just get sick of seeing everyone and their mom driving around in a Vette and it's nice to have something different. However, based on looks and performance for what I use it for, the Viper is the clear winner as a companion for the 55.
If you are talking about the new Z06 (C6) - I don't think the previous generation Viper, and to less of an extent the current Viper, can offer the performance, drivability, technology, and overall package the Z06 can, especially given the price. If your #1 criteria for a sports car is that it's looks reaffirm your manhood by attracting a lot of attention, then by all means, the Viper is the winner... but if you're looking for a car that doesn't burn your legs, hurt your back, have subframes come apart on the track (low blow!), and you can still use it to goto work, take it 100 miles to the lodge, drive it to the race track, all in a relatively comfortable way... - and at $20k less base price (speculation) - the new Z06 is your clear winner.

Just because you have a fast daily driver doesn't mean you don't want a sports car than can be driven daily as well.

And FWIW, I've driven just about every type of Viper out there... 1st gen, 2nd gen, GTS, R/T 10, stock, boost, spray, etc... they are hardcore cars for hardcore drivers and are not meant to rack up miles on. Go on the Viper boards, up until recently to see a Viper with over 20k miles was amazing... whereas that's not the case with Z06s... there are reasons and it's not just because people don't have the chance to drive them.

Just my humble opinion.

-m
Old 02-24-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
If you are talking about the new Z06 (C6) - I don't think the previous generation Viper, and to less of an extent the current Viper, can offer the performance, drivability, technology, and overall package the Z06 can, especially given the price. If your #1 criteria for a sports car is that it's looks reaffirm your manhood by attracting a lot of attention, then by all means, the Viper is the winner... but if you're looking for a car that doesn't burn your legs, hurt your back, have subframes come apart on the track (low blow!), and you can still use it to goto work, take it 100 miles to the lodge, drive it to the race track, all in a relatively comfortable way... - and at $20k less base price (speculation) - the new Z06 is your clear winner.

Just because you have a fast daily driver doesn't mean you don't want a sports car than can be driven daily as well.

And FWIW, I've driven just about every type of Viper out there... 1st gen, 2nd gen, GTS, R/T 10, stock, boost, spray, etc... they are hardcore cars for hardcore drivers and are not meant to rack up miles on. Go on the Viper boards, up until recently to see a Viper with over 20k miles was amazing... whereas that's not the case with Z06s... there are reasons and it's not just because people don't have the chance to drive them.

Just my humble opinion.

-m
Marcus--Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.... :p
Old 02-24-2005, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Marcus, my legs aren't burnt, back is fine, and my car has never fallen apart at neither the 1/4 track or the road course. I've driven my Viper all over 100's of miles at a time with no problems. I wanted something different, fast, and stunning...that's why I bought a Viper.

You have your opinion, I have mine...this thread simply asks what car would you get if you had $75k. Not, "Please tell the other forum members why your car that you have on order is superior to everyone elses." I figured you'd chime in on this thread since you have the car on order and cannot stand anyone giving the opinion of the Z06. I'm so happy you're here to give us expert opinions on what cars you think are cool, great performers, and the cats meow, thanks for that buddy! Thanks for telling me about my Viper, but I think I'll stick to my owership experience over "what you've heard and seen at the Viper boards". I think I frequent them a bit more then you...

Last edited by MBAMGPWR; 02-24-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:25 PM

2005 Mercedes C-Class
Corvette is just a car.......
Viper is a supercar.....Thats it!
I will always take an old VIPER over the new Corvette C6 (or I will take C6 Z06, sell it and buy used Viper.....)! Yes, the corvettes are low-end cars for young people. Vipers are high-end cars not for YOUNG people....
Old 02-24-2005, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
Marcus, my legs aren't burnt, back is fine, and my car has never fallen apart at neither the 1/4 track or the road course. I've driven my Viper all over 100's of miles at a time with no problems. I wanted something different, fast, and stunning...that's why I bought a Viper.

You have your opinion, I have mine...this thread simply asks what car would you get if you had $75k. Not, "Please tell the other forum members why your car that you have on order is superior to everyone elses." I figured you'd chime in on this thread since you have the car on order and cannot stand anyone giving the opinion of the Z06. I'm so happy you're here to give us expert opinions on what cars you think are cool, great performers, and the cats meow, thanks for that buddy! Thanks for telling me about my Viper, but I think I'll stick to my owership experience over "what you've heard and seen at the Viper boards". I think I frequent them a bit more then you...
MBAMGPWR,

I can totally respect that. I think I stated my opinion in a fairly civilized manner and kept it strictly relavant to the topic and made it non-personal. You are right, ownership and driving them a bunch of times are not equal... and everyone will have their opinion. Mine from driving has been to not consider owning one, although most of the guys I hang out with on the weekends have them. http://www.supercarschicago.com is the group of guys I speak of.

It's not so much I can't stand anyone giving the opinion towards a Z06... but just as you came back and defended your Viper from criticism, I will defend what I prefer. As long as it's done in a civil manner I see nothing really wrong with the exchange of opinions.

It's always good to have a variety of opinions, as clearly there is no one car that pleases everyone. It's only by reading what's available, and experiencing it yourself that you can make up your own mind.

Bottom line is I think the Viper is a crude race car that's drivable on the streets, where as a Z06 is a true sports car that is made for the street and the track. Looks are important, but which one attracts more attention should not be a factor in determining which car is "better" - if that's even possible.

-m
Old 02-24-2005, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
I agree, everyone has an opinion on what's "the best". I'm ready to see a Z06 in person, at the track. Then, I will give my complete & honest opinion on the car. As we say many times over on the VCA Forum & Viper Alley, the Viper isn't for everyone, that's what makes it special.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by elbimmer
I will always take an old VIPER over the new Corvette C6 (or I will take C6 Z06, sell it and buy used Viper.....)! Yes, the corvettes are low-end cars for young people. Vipers are high-end cars not for YOUNG people....
How is the C6 Z06 not a supercar when it is (or at least, will be) every bit as fast, if not faster, than the previous and current generation Vipers.

The #s don't lie. 427ci/500hp/475tq/~3100lbs/7000rpm. Titanium engine and cylinder head components, dry sump lubrication, CNC'd heads, carbon fiber body panels. That's supercar territory, and there is no denying it.

-m
enough Z06 preaching for today...
Old 02-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

hey, hey, hey, easy fellas!!! play nice!
Old 02-25-2005, 06:49 PM

Nissan 350Z & Toyota Landcruiser 100 Tdi, i lack a benz...but one day
if i had 75k lieing around id get get a Rally car
Mitsub Evo 8 + a few cheap go fast fixes = AWD rocket :v , you will be cornering looking through ur side window.

or a Suby WRX STI +the mods...
and plenty of cash left over for....stuff
Old 02-26-2005, 12:19 AM

E
Originally Posted by elbimmer
This has got to be the dumbest reply yet.....for some reason i doubt youv'e owned any of these cars to even know how they drive....
Old 02-28-2005, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Although not as classy as the 991 TT the Supra is an increadible HP machine. I have had 2 so far. For about $2-3k invested my first one was the same speed as a great running E55 -- 12.0@118 and my second was considerabily faster with a 135mph trap.

For $75K if you want crazy speed go spend $20k on a 1994 Supra TT and spend another $25-40K on a 3.2L Built stroker engine with a SP76 or other massive turbo, port, titanium valves, cams, suspension, level 10 tranny, etc.

For about $50-60k in total you should have a car running high 8s@155 assuming you can launch and auto -- easier than stick.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:57 AM

2005 Mercedes C-Class
Originally Posted by AMGhunting
This has got to be the dumbest reply yet.....for some reason i doubt youv'e owned any of these cars to even know how they drive....
You have to be the dumbest person here....Is it necessary to own them to speak about them?
Well, thats right, I am not an owner, but I've driven both of them.
C6 is really nice and fast car, but you know, everybody can have it, since its cheap (even E350 is more expensive....)and its not a supercar......
I've also driven both Vipers, old one and new one...these cars are out my dimension, they are supercars!
And YOU, if YOU want to speak here badly about me, just PM me, we can speak about it in private. Dont post sh$t here, your post was so you are dumb person here, OK?

Last edited by elbimmer; 03-01-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:06 AM

2002 ML55, 2006 C6 Z06
Originally Posted by Peter B
looking for a new or used car. only owned benz's and bimmers. what's a good fun car you'd buy not as a daily driver.
Well, you already said the Viper isn't to comfy, so that gives you three other opions.

1. Wait for the new Corvette C6 Z06.

2. Get a used C5 Z06 and do the 427 Twin Turbo Lingenfelter option giving you 725 hp/730 lbs trq, a 0-60 of 3.2 and 1/4 of 9.50 on street tires. More vid's.

OR

3. Get the C5 Z06 and send it over to MDMC. How does 1100 to 1200 HP sound? 0-60 in 2.9 and 1/4 in 9.2 @ 156.
Only problem with this option is it might make you go grey to fast.

Would that be fun enough for ya? As a bonus, 2 and 3 would get you ready for modding your new Z06 on the way.

I would choose either option 2 or 3 now, then go with the new Lingenfelter C6 Z06 when available. :p Option 3 if I was feelin really friskie.

Last edited by RossN; 03-02-2005 at 02:25 AM.