Sponsored by:

Bad ESP module

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Bad ESP module

So I’ve done some digging around the site, but haven’t found answers to some of my questions. I’ve learned the ESP module on my car is defective, and I don’t have the $2300 it’d cost to have the local Euro tech replace it. I’ve got all the hallmarks a bad ESP module (ESP, and ABS malfunction lights, heavy steering, low break pressure, etc.). Is this module inside the SBC pump? And does the SBC pump warranty cover the ESP module? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 965 Likes on 749 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
You're going to have to work on your "Google-Fu". The advanced search feature under the "Threads" drop down menu upper right is a good place to start. Even if it takes you awhile to find what you are looking for, you'll learn a lot just reading the issues and solutions.

Until then, try the attached file.
Attached Files
Old 01-22-2021, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
In this one, go to pages 60 and 61.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CAN bus tutorial 66 pages.pdf (3.72 MB, 94 views)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:49 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Thanks for the info. Seems that the search function is super limited on the mobile site.

I’ve contacted local tech with SDS to see how much it’ll be to code a replacement ESP module for me.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:38 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
So it turns out you can't replace the ESP module with a used unit? Is that true? I'd really hate my only option to be having to shell out $1k for a new module. I'm about to push this car off a cliff.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:15 PM

Received 235 Likes on 196 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Reptar0nIce
So it turns out you can't replace the ESP module with a used unit? Is that true? I'd really hate my only option to be having to shell out $1k for a new module. I'm about to push this car off a cliff.
i don't know for sure if it is true or not, but there are a bunch used ones for sale from salvage yards on eBay for about $50. Surprised they would be listing them if they could not be used.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:20 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by machild
i don't know for sure if it is true or not, but there are a bunch used ones for sale from salvage yards on eBay for about $50. Surprised they would be listing them if they could not be used.
Yea when I get it back I'm going to check the part number and try to order a replacement. Some of my research has found that that works sometimes to fix the issue? I know quite a lot of parts get sold on eBay even if they aren't useable though.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:39 PM

Received 235 Likes on 196 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Yea when I get it back I'm going to check the part number and try to order a replacement. Some of my research has found that that works sometimes to fix the issue? I know quite a lot of parts get sold on eBay even if they aren't useable though.
I don't know if the ESP module has to be coded to the car as some other modules like the SAM or Central Gateway, but in all of those cases where the module does have to coded to the car there is a way to do it even if the replacement module has to be virginized first.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:07 PM

E320
SO ESP IS NOT COVERED UNDER SBC WARRANTY?

SO ESP IS NOT COVERED UNDER SBC EXTENDED WARRANTY?

I got the sbc fixed with the dealership, 1 day later my ESP “malfunction Visit Workshop” light comes on.

So I’ve done some digging around the site, but haven’t found answers to some of my questions. I’ve learned the ESP module on my car is defective, and I don’t have the $2300 it’d cost to have the local Euro tech replace it. I’ve got all the hallmarks a bad ESP module (ESP, and ABS malfunction lights, heavy steering, low break pressure, etc.). Is this module inside the SBC pump? And does the SBC pump warranty cover the ESP module? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2021, 05:22 PM

E320
ESP x SBC Warranty

** So does anyone know if the ESP is covered under the SBC Warranty (03 w211)

I got the pump fixed at dealer and now one day later I have the ESP light on constantly. Soon as I turn the car on. I want to know if it’s covered before I waste my time and money on trying to fix it myself.

ESP IS NOT COVERED UNDER SBC EXTENDED WARRANTY?? (Question)

I got the sbc fixed with the dealership, 1 day later my ESP “malfunction Visit Workshop” light comes on. Stays On.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
ESP and SBC are two completely different subsystems. They work together via CANBus, but are separate. So the answer is "No". I once had the "ESP “malfunction Visit Workshop” light" engage and it was caused by something as simple as the throttle body gasket fouling the throttle plate. You're going to have to put it on a diagnostic system and troubleshoot. You can bring the issue up to the dealer and have them investigate, but if it is not directly related to their work, you're going to pay for it.