Sponsored by:

Another bloody wheel question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 10:22 PM

Received 152 Likes on 98 Posts
05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
Originally Posted by mondo
So after conversing with ESR a few times, they cannot guarantee the wheels will clear the brakes as this design does not have good big brake clearance. As i mentioned before, i could run some spacers but they weren't able (or were unwilling) to provide measurements so I could work it out for myself. Seeing as i am in Australia, it is impractical to test fit first so looks like i may have to keep searching for a different design.
its incredibly hard dude, I feel your pain. ive owed my car for almost 4 years and just this last summer found wheels that fit.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:54 AM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
Originally Posted by M5 LOL
its incredibly hard dude, I feel your pain. ive owed my car for almost 4 years and just this last summer found wheels that fit.
there's plenty of nice wheels out there in my budget, just nothing much that piques my interest. I do love a 3 piece forged design ESR have, but with exchange rate and shipping, they come to well over $6k Australian. Got to keep looking
Old 02-19-2021, 04:47 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
So after conversing with ESR a few times, they cannot guarantee the wheels will clear the brakes as this design does not have good big brake clearance. As i mentioned before, i could run some spacers but they weren't able (or were unwilling) to provide measurements so I could work it out for myself. Seeing as i am in Australia, it is impractical to test fit first so looks like i may have to keep searching for a different design.
Seems like you really don't have much experience with wheel fitments and esr don't seem they have many e55 w211 customers..I told you a way to make a sure you can get your fitment spot on as you can make templets .

I make my own and not to hard to make a few yourself. I had to run a small spacer on one setup i had cause my front rims were really aggressive and super concave and with the car being very low i needed to clear the perch...

If you are worried on fitments these type of rims are not for you ,stick with standard type companies that have done these setups to ensure yourself a perfect fitment for your style.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
If you have a budget for a 3 piece wheels then you should consider custom Work Wheels. Most of their wheels will clear big brakes and they can custom make them to any spec you want.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:44 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by Schfifty_5
If you have a budget for a 3 piece wheels then you should consider custom Work Wheels. Most of their wheels will clear big brakes and they can custom make them to any spec you want.
Thing is the extreme concave front style won't clear at times as the amg uses there big brake kit 8 piston setup.Mine had the same issue my fronts were more aggressive then someone's rear setups.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:54 PM

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
Originally Posted by oneslow55
Seems like you really don't have much experience with wheel fitments and esr don't seem they have many e55 w211 customers..I told you a way to make a sure you can get your fitment spot on as you can make templets.
It's not my first rodeo mate. Yes, they actually said they have not had any W211 E55 customers. Also a bit hard to make a template when the company is not able to or willing to divulge the measurements. I've no problem working out offsets and backspacing, it's brake clearance that i cannot do without knowing the specs.

I had to run a small spacer on one setup i had cause my front rims were really aggressive and super concave and with the car being very low i needed to clear the perch...
i'd be happy to run small spacers to make them fit as i indicated in a previous post (or two), but, seeing as i am in Australia and the wheels are manufactured in the USA, it's not possible to test fit before pulling the trigger and a bloody expensive exercise if you get it wrong. hence me posting here seeking advice from others first.

If you are worried on fitments these type of rims are not for you
there's that arrogance again. I appreciate the advice but can do without the condescension.

stick with standard type companies that have done these setups to ensure yourself a perfect fitment for your style.
it might have escaped your notice that i have said none of the "standard" wheels for these cars interest me. That includes brands like HRE, BBS, Oz Racing etc... So i will keep searching and all the while my pot of mod money keeps growing.

I've been down the Work route before. Had a set of T7R on a Ford Focus turbo hatchback i owned. They were the first place i looked. tbh there's only a few styles of theirs i think would suit the W211 shape. I have an inquiry going with Fitment Industries in the USA regarding Work VS-TX wheels. Problem is, they were discontinued in 2020, so it will depend on the factory if they are able to supply them or not. The reason I have gone through Fitment Industries is because the Australian distributor has said he can no longer get them and the Work Japan website doesn't allow you to place an order (although they are still displayed on their site). The Fitment Industries site does, so i have taken that route as a long shot in case they have some stock left.

Last edited by mondo; 02-19-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:48 PM

2003 E55 AMG
It's not my first rodeo mate. Yes, they actually said they have not had any W211 E55 customers. Also a bit hard to make a template when the company is not able to or willing to divulge the measurements. I've no problem working out offsets and backspacing, it's brake clearance that i cannot do without knowing the specs.

i'd be happy to run small spacers to make them fit as i indicated in a previous post (or two), but, seeing as i am in Australia and the wheels are manufactured in the USA, it's not possible to test fit before pulling the trigger and a bloody expensive exercise if you get it wrong. hence me posting here seeking advice from others first.

there's that arrogance again. I appreciate the advice but can do without the condescension.

it might have escaped your notice that i have said none of the "standard" wheels for these cars interest me. That includes brands like HRE, BBS, Oz Racing etc... So i will keep searching and all the while my pot of mod money keeps growing.

I've been down the Work route before. Had a set of T7R on a Ford Focus turbo hatchback i owned. They were the first place i looked. tbh there's only a few styles of theirs i think would suit the W211 shape. I have an inquiry going with Fitment Industries in the USA regarding Work VS-TX wheels. Problem is, they were discontinued in 2020, so it will depend on the factory if they are able to supply them or not. The reason I have gone through Fitment Industries is because the Australian distributor has said he can no longer get them and the Work Japan website doesn't allow you to place an order (although they are still displayed on their site). The Fitment Industries site does, so i have taken that route as a long shot in case they have some stock left.
That's funny, those were the same wheels I was interested in getting before knowing they were discontinued. I opted for the Gnosis CV201 which i don't regret at all.
The following users liked this post:
mondo (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 08:39 PM

Received 152 Likes on 98 Posts
05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)

ESR won't tell you the measurements, because they don't know them. they are like any other rep distributor they just move product. all they know is bolt pattern and offsets. I learned this the hard way with Varrosten a few years ago, in fact they are the ones that told me that. if its not a popular platform where its easy to cheat off the market they are lost.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Vossen maybe??
Old 02-20-2021, 07:11 PM

E55 amg

Well it is your first rodeo if you can't make a temple out of cardboard..The measurements take less then 10 min to make and sizes are listed on there site to pick...The specs will come from your offsets on brakes unless you had what i had but i doubt it cause not many companies make the concave front size ..Ignorance is a blizz FYI.We tried to help you but your just upset cause i called a vw a crap box.Stick to a rim that has sized your car before or else you'll never buy a rim or get something that pokes out and looks like crap.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:14 PM

E55 amg
ESR won't tell you the measurements, because they don't know them. they are like any other rep distributor they just move product. all they know is bolt pattern and offsets. I learned this the hard way with Varrosten a few years ago, in fact they are the ones that told me that. if its not a popular platform where its easy to cheat off the market they are lost.

This when you don't buy rims from them ..If i don't know my specs no way ill buy them,i went on there site and have talked to them before i had the guy give me offsets ,sizes and full specs.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:02 PM

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
ESR are the manufacturers and these wheels are not reps. my guess is they don't want to divulge the info, not that they don't know it.

Well it is your first rodeo if you can't make a temple out of cardboard..The measurements take less then 10 min to make and sizes are listed on there site to pick...The specs will come from your offsets on brakes unless you had what i had but i doubt it cause not many companies make the concave front size
You realise there's more to it than PCD, ET and wheel width, yeah? without knowing the thickness plus concave/shape of the spokes it is impossible to make an accurate template.

..Ignorance is a blizz
*Bliss... Ignorance is bliss matey.

FYI We tried to help you but your just upset cause i called a vw a crap box.Stick to a rim that has sized your car before or else you'll never buy a rim or get something that pokes out and looks like crap.
Dude, i'm not upset about anything. I'm more amused by your efforts than anything. As for the "stick to the tried and tested" comment, i'd rather not buy rims than settle for what doesn't interest me. In the end i might eventually seek out some OEM rims if i fail to find something i really like. I'm not that fussed. Ultimately rim selection is a personal choice and my preference and yours don't have to be the same.

Last edited by mondo; 02-20-2021 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:27 PM

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
Originally Posted by tlambert
Vossen maybe??
haven't seen a design i like to be honest.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:31 PM

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
That's funny, those were the same wheels I was interested in getting before knowing they were discontinued. I opted for the Gnosis CV201 which i don't regret at all.
which disk type did you end up going? that would be a massive help if you could tell me that?
Old 02-20-2021, 10:56 PM

E55 amg
ESR are the manufacturers and these wheels are not reps. my guess is they don't want to divulge the info, not that they don't know it.

You realise there's more to it than PCD, ET and wheel width, yeah? without knowing the thickness plus concave/shape of the spokes it is impossible to make an accurate template.

*Bliss... Ignorance is bliss matey.

Dude, i'm not upset about anything. I'm more amused by your efforts than anything. As for the "stick to the tried and tested" comment, i'd rather not buy rims than settle for what doesn't interest me. In the end i might eventually seek out some OEM rims if i fail to find something i really like. I'm not that fussed. Ultimately rim selection is a personal choice and my preference and yours don't have to be the same.

This in correct to be honest.. your beating a dead horse with your search.It's not hard again, but maybe you need to search little more .Good luck on your rims
Old 02-21-2021, 03:51 AM

2003 E55 AMG
which disk type did you end up going? that would be a massive help if you could tell me that?
Front is R disk and Rear is A. Both have plenty of clearance.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:02 AM

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
Front is R disk and Rear is A. Both have plenty of clearance.
this is excellent information. thanks. I'm looking at the 2 piece GR205 although in the 19" stepped rim they only offer A disk and O disk options. the full reverse offers R disk though
Old 02-22-2021, 03:16 AM

2003 E55 AMG
Here's what the clearance looks like with those disk types.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:59 AM

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
Here's what the clearance looks like with those disk types.
did Work assist you with choosing the correct disk option, or did you just arrive at that yourself? I'd like to put A disks on the front and O disks on the rear, but not sure if they will clear. will have to email them.

decided to take another look at the VS-XX too. nice 3 piece wheel that falls into my budget now. When i first started looking i was searching for mesh style wheels, so they are a nice option to check out. Haven't heard back about the VS-TX yet.
M5 LOL (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 06:25 AM

2003 E55 AMG
did Work assist you with choosing the correct disk option, or did you just arrive at that yourself? I'd like to put A disks on the front and O disks on the rear, but not sure if they will clear. will have to email them.

decided to take another look at the VS-XX too. nice 3 piece wheel that falls into my budget now. When i first started looking i was searching for mesh style wheels, so they are a nice option to check out. Haven't heard back about the VS-TX yet.
I arrived at the disk options myself. The shop I ordered through verified with Work if it would clear and they said it would. I played a little conservative. I wasn't sure that an O disk would work so I went with a normal caliper disk for the rear to play it safe. R disk was the only disk available for big calipers for that wheel in that option. I also didn't want to run spacers since my offset is so low.
mondo (02-23-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 08:31 PM

E55 amg
I arrived at the disk options myself. The shop I ordered through verified with Work if it would clear and they said it would. I played a little conservative. I wasn't sure that an O disk would work so I went with a normal caliper disk for the rear to play it safe. R disk was the only disk available for big calipers for that wheel in that option. I also didn't want to run spacers since my offset is so low.

That's alot of room on your calipers , On real mine i be lucky to fit a credit card on the front's but Like i said my fronts are super concaved.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:15 PM

2003 E55 AMG
That's a lot of room on your calipers , On real mine i be lucky to fit a credit card on the front's but Like i said my fronts are super concaved.
Pic?