The following users liked this post:
M5 LOL (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 04:53 PM

Received 152 Likes on 98 Posts
05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
Talking

Originally Posted by almostordinary
Master click-baiter. LOL.
hahaha, every now and them im a quick study.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:09 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
My 30k mile high view: AMGs are muscle cars, M cars are 'sports' cars. Precisely why I have my E55 as a daily driver, and kept my E36 M3 for autocross and twisty road driving days. An E class will never feel 'sporty', it's made for mashing the gas and blasting down the autobahn, it doesn't really matter if the chassis feedback is precise because comfort was prioritized in the suspension otherwise we wouldn't have air struts.

BMWs have an almost magical sense of feedback, you turn and can feel the car rotating underneath you, precisely balanced in the center. The motors are absolute drama queens with maintenance and problems, dare I say Italian-like in inspiration (I have a an Ducati too so I'm all too familiar). But they are some of the best handling cars you can get with 4 doors.

Overall, to me, Mercedes wins the overall competition. The key word being 'overall' because you get a package with a Merc, the BMWs are mostly purpose-driven. AMGs (and others) have character, speed, comfort, and technology that is laughably far ahead in it's time compared to just about every other car on the road. BMW is great for driving corners but each model has areas that it lacks in and the factory seems to lag a bit catching up with things that should be changed or updated.
The following 2 users liked this post by GinDistiller:
M5 LOL (03-16-2021), Saurabh914 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:12 PM

05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
Originally Posted by GinDistiller
My 30k mile high view: AMGs are muscle cars, M cars are 'sports' cars. Precisely why I have my E55 as a daily driver, and kept my E36 M3 for autocross and twisty road driving days. An E class will never feel 'sporty', it's made for mashing the gas and blasting down the autobahn, it doesn't really matter if the chassis feedback is precise because comfort was prioritized in the suspension otherwise we wouldn't have air struts.

BMWs have an almost magical sense of feedback, you turn and can feel the car rotating underneath you, precisely balanced in the center. The motors are absolute drama queens with maintenance and problems, dare I say Italian-like in inspiration (I have a an Ducati too so I'm all too familiar). But they are some of the best handling cars you can get with 4 doors.

Overall, to me, Mercedes wins the overall competition. The key word being 'overall' because you get a package with a Merc, the BMWs are mostly purpose-driven. AMGs (and others) have character, speed, comfort, and technology that is laughably far ahead in it's time compared to just about every other car on the road. BMW is great for driving corners but each model has areas that it lacks in and the factory seems to lag a bit catching up with things that should be changed or updated.
great reply. id agree with you 100%.
GinDistiller (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 06:23 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by almostordinary
Master click-baiter. LOL.
LOL>Bingo
M5 LOL (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 06:25 PM

E55 amg
Bmw is a drivers benz is not..Bmw is a track ready type (older m3,and new m4.) amg are just straight line shooters with no skills to aim and go.The e46 m3 was a perfect balance car and built amazing.I had a e39 m5 was not fan i had 3 e46 m3 and choose that over the m5..If the car was great built that pano would not rattle .

Last edited by oneslow55; 03-16-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:46 PM

E55 amg
cons and pros of bmw vs benz older ones

Benz pros
great build
Classic looksgreat interior styling

Benz cons
Useless sbc brakes don't allow to grab as they should(8 pistons with no sbc your face would hurt on a hard brake)
Horrible handlng
weak body styling (cls changed the image with there styling )
lazy tranny
bad resales

Bmw pros

very well balanced overall feel
great handling
Aggressive body styling lines with wider fender
fast tranny and very connected feel to the engine
Lots of great engine noise and vanos response
car feels light on it's toes
High rpm revving
high demand and great resale values
Wider rim setups

Bmw cons

Lack of tq
vanos issues
rod bearing failures
engine oil buring due to high revs

M5 LOL (03-17-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 250 Likes on 229 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
The wife has a 7 series, and I own a E500 wagon 4matic. Which goes to doctor every four months? Hint "Not Mine"!
R
2MERKS

Last edited by 2MERKS; 03-18-2021 at 06:34 PM.
M5 LOL (03-18-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:21 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
F350 E55 E39
My dad put over 150k miles on his E39 M5 and had a bunch of Hennessy mods on it. For the time period, it was a pretty amazing car and he loved it. Several years ago we picked up a dirt cheap E39 540i because my wife blew her ACL up skiing and needed a vehicle without three pedals. We planned to flip it after her recovery, three years later I just can't manage to let the thing go. Its the perfect "extra" car and I love driving when I don't feel like driving something that I care more about.

Because that's the thing, I just don't find these cars to be that special. My dad didn't even find his M5 that special, to him it was just a german Chevy. He worked at GM in Saginaw for 15 years and frankly would have preferred that GM build a better car. All he wanted was a rear wheel drive V8 car with a stick shift that wasn't a hunk of junk. I feel the same way about my 540i, its pretty freekin basic and not that special. it does drive nice enough, its been pretty reliable and its very easy to work on. My sisters E46 330 is pretty much the same thing, just less reliable. It has had a variety of electrical gremlins.

I've never driven one of these cars on felt like I had to gush about the steering feel or driving experience. I guess its pretty good, mostly to me they just feel a bit dated. They kind of embody to me a lot of the best and worst things about cars in 1999. I live in Colorado, and participating in a variety of mountain sports I spend a lot of time flogging cars up the canyons and over the passes. by far the best "driving experience" I've had in my fleet was my mildly modded Ford Focus SVT. I did at least a hundred laps over top of Berthoud pass in that thing and it was soooooo fun to just MOB that thing.

I would actually really love to pick up a Ford Fiesta ST for good weather mountain driving. Those things are so fun, you have no idea.

So in summary.... If BMW's great claim to glory is being the "Ultimate Driving Machine", I'd put them as a solid second place to Fords European derived compact cars. I guess I didn't mean to come off like a BMW hater or whatnot, I really do like my BMW I just don't think they are half as special as people like to think they are.

Modern BMW's in mind, though nice, go in the same category as Audi's. Lease cars. Nice cars sure, but not something you get emotionally attached to or develop a long term relationship with. Lease it, enjoy for two years, turn that thing in and let it become somebody else's problem.

If you want a german sports car, buy a Porsche. If you want a german autobahn machine, you buy an AMG Mercedes. simple. And these are cars you can own, keep forever and love.

Okay, enough rambling as I must get off to work. happy friday!
The following 2 users liked this post by thovey:
M5 LOL (03-19-2021), Saurabh914 (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Forever MB made the better car, however with the addition of so many new lines and entry level models not sure if still better. AMG is more special than M, more emotional it seems but that too is changing with all the diluted AMG offerings. Add the fact that most cars are leased it really doesn't matter anymore. Go with whatever you like.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
M5 LOL (03-19-2021), Saurabh914 (03-19-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 04:01 PM
nm4

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
911,350Z,E63
These days everyone is an expert with a YouTube channel calling everything a “classic” or perhaps I should say “modern classic.” All of these YouTube guys sing the praises of what they own/know. It’s bloody exhausting. I miss the days of professional content and wonder how much money these B list YouTube guys make (or is it just for the audience?)

So I will stand up and say it: I own an AMG and not a BMW...but I think BMW makes better performance cars. The steering and handling are worlds better than AMG products (esp the older ones). If you judge cars only by dyno numbers or quarter mile times then you may have an argument in favor of the AMG...but if that’s your bag there are dozens of cheaper and faster options.

N
Old 03-20-2021, 04:21 PM

05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
Originally Posted by nm4
These days everyone is an expert with a YouTube channel calling everything a “classic” or perhaps I should say “modern classic.” All of these YouTube guys sing the praises of what they own/know. It’s bloody exhausting. I miss the days of professional content and wonder how much money these B list YouTube guys make (or is it just for the audience?)

So I will stand up and say it: I own an AMG and not a BMW...but I think BMW makes better performance cars. The steering and handling are worlds better than AMG products (esp the older ones). If you judge cars only by dyno numbers or quarter mile times then you may have an argument in favor of the AMG...but if that’s your bag there are dozens of cheaper and faster options.

N
I do it simply for fun, I make nothing off my channel. I just enjoy this chassis and like to talk cars. if thats your thoughts about YouTube, you better stay off of it LOL.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
A true comparison, would be to evaluate vehicles in the period in which they were built.
i.e. Make the comparison between a 2007 BMW E39 M5 and a 2007 Mercedes W211 E63 AMG
And set parameters just like Car and Driver does for comparison. And let everyone judge for themselves.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A&&FORM=VDRVRV

Last edited by Yuille36; 03-22-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:22 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
F350 E55 E39
Originally Posted by nm4
I think that may have been mostly true back in the E39 days, but certainly not today and certainly not since Albert Biermann left the M Division and took a job at Hyundai. By all accounts, if you want that legendary "BMW driver feel" your better off buying a Veloster or Kia Stinger. They have given him a long leash and good budget to do what he wanted (but couldn't) do with the M cars.

I think its tough to make an apples to apples comparison germane to our interests. The E39 platform is certainly a generation behind the W211 and its not a direct comparison at all. The E60 M5 was a beast of a car and maybe we could make that comparison. But I'm sorry man, if you can't rod bearings in the thing then any other potential redeeming quality is null and void. Its too bad it went that way as that car could have been legendary, especially with three pedals.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:23 AM

05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
Originally Posted by Yuille36
A true comparison, would be to evaluate vehicles in the period in which they were built.
i.e. Make the comparison between a 2007 BMW E39 M5 and a 2007 Mercedes W211 E63 AMG
And set parameters just like Car and Driver does for comparison. And let everyone judge for themselves.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A&&FORM=VDRVRV
the tricky thing is the w211 overlaps the E39/E60 gens. so the E60 M5 competed against both the E55 and the E63. Ive only gone one of those out in the garage. and as much as I raze you M156 guys, id rather have an E63 or a E60 M5.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:18 PM
nm4

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
911,350Z,E63
I agree it’s closer now than ever before but in general the BMW M series still have better suspension tuning than the AMG cars. I’ve driven M5 vs modern E63, M3/4 vs C63, etc. The AMG cars are blindingly fast but the Ms dominate in the fun-to-drive department. Honestly an E39 M5 is a far better handler than an E55. Much more fun to drive except for the lack of torque (comparatively). It’s a thrill to wind that car up whereas the E55 doesn’t seem to develop much character as you rev it up. The thrill in that car is when you first stomp on the pedal (though it is certainly a thrill!)

I don’t mean to beat up on AMG - they make some incredible cars. That said their lineup just doesn’t have the precise, nuanced feel of most of the M products - even after the M series has kind of lost its way.

N
M5 LOL (03-22-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:39 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
SL55 AMG, CLS55 AMG
Meh,

BMW M: "Watch how I can jump on this box and then do a squat and then a twisty pull-up thingy"

Mercedes AMG: "Wanna see a 500lb bench press?"

The following 4 users liked this post by swohio:
Fountain35 (04-29-2021), GinDistiller (03-25-2021), M5 LOL (03-25-2021), Saurabh914 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 02:54 PM

05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
Originally Posted by swohio
Meh,

BMW M: "Watch how I can jump on this box and then do a squat and then a twisty pull-up thingy"

Mercedes AMG: "Wanna see a 500lb bench press?"
love this! cross fit dorks hahahahahah
swohio (03-25-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 651 Likes on 448 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Originally Posted by thovey
Because that's the thing, I just don't find these cars to be that special. My dad didn't even find his M5 that special, to him it was just a german Chevy. He worked at GM in Saginaw for 15 years and frankly would have preferred that GM build a better car. All he wanted was a rear wheel drive V8 car with a stick shift that wasn't a hunk of junk.
GM did make that (eventually) with the first gen CTS-V. I owned one for over 10 years and just sold my 05 last week. Outstanding car to drive and totally underrated even though it has been retrospectively getting Youtube accolades here and there. The way it drives compared to my E55 is literally night and day. And it's a relatively simple car that's comfortable, has a usable back seat, a stupid simple engine and trans, sounds great, etc. But you'll notice I sold it. Why? I never drove it. It was a garage queen. I bought my E55 as a daily because the type of driving I do is better suited to the E55. My CTS-V turned me on to what a good chassis can do and I was fortunate to experience it on The Dragon and other western NC roads 10 years ago. But in New England, the car is wasted. The E55 is the better match and in fact this is the first time I've ever had a daily driver in the garage. It's been amazing.

Anyway, just wanted to give the V props because people constantly overlook those, especially if they are looking for something that they would enjoy DRIVING and is reliable (not necessarily impressing their friends with the interior or whatever).