Sponsored by:

Air intake coming off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 E63
Air intake coming off

The intake hose keeps popping off (see image below). Usually happens after some driving. I am not sure how to address this problem. I know that it gets softer due to the heat and then it comes off. It only happens on the driver side. Any solutions?

Old 05-20-2021, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Ha…. I see that I’m not the only one with this issue. First, I thought it was bad engine mounts, but this still occurred even after, I replaced them with new mounts. I put black electrical tape around the end of the intake, that seemed to help but it still comes loose, the passenger side is fine. I’m thinking of trying maybe some cloth tape, that would add more friction for the intake hose to seal against.

Last edited by Yuille36; 05-20-2021 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:44 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
E63 AMG 2009 E55 AMG 2005 E63 AMG Wagon 2007
Replaced mine with a new intake hose, fits like a glove. Mine doesn’t rattle loose, like you said, the heat will eventually do it’s damage on these hoses.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just called Mercedes of Arlington, and talked to Randy they didn't have the part in stock, but he will place the order and it should arrive on Tuesday.
He also confirmed that it is the heat and age, that causes this intake pipe to expand and pop off. He said he doesn't know why its just the drivers side and not also the passenger side.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 651 Likes on 448 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Driver's side lifts from engine torque. There will be a little movement even with good mounts. Maybe that's the answer.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kevm14
Driver's side lifts from engine torque. There will be a little movement even with good mounts. Maybe that's the answer.
Yes, I'm aware but there shouldn't be enough to loosen the fitment between the intake pipe and intake filter housing. And I have new engine mounts to boot.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by desertfrog
The intake hose keeps popping off (see image below). Usually happens after some driving. I am not sure how to address this problem. I know that it gets softer due to the heat and then it comes off. It only happens on the driver side. Any solutions?
Originally Posted by Yuille36
Ha…. I see that I’m not the only one with this issue. First, I thought it was bad engine mounts, but this still occurred even after, I replaced them with new mounts. I put black electrical tape around the end of the intake, that seemed to help but it still comes loose, the passenger side is fine. I’m thinking of trying maybe some cloth tape, that would add more friction for the intake hose to seal against.
Frankly, they're all too short. On the CLS we have the added detriment that the driver side piping narrows down to 50% for no reason which restricts the air on the driver side to 50%. I noticed the difference in the air flow just from the air filters. I ended up making a custom one on the driver side, and using one from a CL55 on the passenger side. They were slightly longer, with no bottlenecks. I also ended up putting rather large hose clamps on the connection to the air filter housing to keep it in place. Now it's a real intake with no bottleneck, and it never comes loose.

It's not really from heat per say. It's just idiotic Mercedes using cheap plastic components. For an AMG, the entire air filter/intake assembly is a plastic joke, particularly how poor the connection is in the rear.

Last edited by equitiesguy; 05-23-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well we just have to live with it, that is why I ordered a new intake pipe that should be here by Tuesday.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:13 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Well we just have to live with it, that is why I ordered a new intake pipe that should be here by Tuesday.
I've looked at some custom options in carbon fiber, but they crack in short order and that's worse.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by equitiesguy
I've looked at some custom options in carbon fiber, but they crack in short order and that's worse.
I do however have the Carbonio CF Engine Cover and Air Intake Covers. Having a CF Intake Pipes would be nice, but I never was able to find a set for the M156 engine.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:22 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
I do however have the Carbonio CF Engine Cover and Air Intake Covers. Having a CF Intake Pipes would be nice, but I never was able to find a set for the M156 engine.
Originally I was looking at an upgraded cold intake system when I first bought the car, with better filters even than the stock MANN. Ultimately, I ended up with a street start time of 4.0s (5-60mph), so it seemed pointless to look for more power and no one ever wants to see what a V8 looks like compared to the number of requests I get on my V12s. I only pop the hood for myself when I'm working on her.

I think the E63 has squared off pipes, and the 55's are round intakes going into the filter housing. The whole setup is a little different. I would imagine they upgraded it some on the 63s.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by equitiesguy
Originally I was looking at an upgraded cold intake system when I first bought the car, with better filters even than the stock MANN. Ultimately, I ended up with a street start time of 4.0s (5-60mph), so it seemed pointless to look for more power and no one ever wants to see what a V8 looks like compared to the number of requests I get on my V12s. I only pop the hood for myself when I'm working on her.

I think the E63 has squared off pipes, and the 55's are round intakes going into the filter housing. The whole setup is a little different. I would imagine they upgraded it some on the 63s.
My 07 E63 has rounded triangle shape intakes where it connects to the air intake housing. And the other issue is, there are very few manufacturers still supporting the M156, considering you have more modern AMG engines out there.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:38 PM

Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
My 07 E63 has rounded triangle shape intakes where it connects to the air intake housing. And the other issue is, there are very few manufacturers still supporting the M156, considering you have more modern AMG engines out there.

That is different entirely in design. Can't put a clamp on that.

Newer isn't better. I have yet to see a decent engine design come out of Mercedes after 2006.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550 Sport (gone bye-bye) 2009 E63 (the daily)
FWIW, I was having the same issue with both of my new intake tubes, especially after I installed longtube headers, which don't have a heat shield like the factory logs. After some thorough investigating, I found that the thick factory insulation foam inserts that sit between the intake and heads tend to swell and lift the air boxes when they get hot. My solution was to cut those off where they sit under the airboxes and then I affixed some thin foam gold reflecting tape underneath the airboxes and around the outside. Well, I was still having a little movement of the intake tubes after long drives so I then put some thin (no foam) gold tape around the bottom of the tubes and this has been the winning solution. The gold insulation tape reflects enough heat to keep my intake tubes from becoming unseated. Plus, it looks cool because I have some gold hardware sprinkled around the engine bay.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:46 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
I've just been working on my 2007 E63 ever since the CCP Wuhan Virus came about by repairing the Rear Main Seal and rebuilding the entire Rear suspension along with changing the Differential from 2.82 to 3.06 with an M-Factory LSD. After getting it on the road again after so long, I was psyched to realize the TCU and ECU reprogramming actually worked but the Differential, much to my chagrin, was vibrating on Deceleration!! At the same time, I realized that I now had a Radiator Leak and that the "Oil" leak coming off the A/C Compressor was actually PAG Fluid, Not Motor Oil!! So after getting the A/C sucked out at Jiffy Lube, out came the Compressor after removal of the Fan and draining the Radiator. I also had to remove the Differential again to get rebuilt!! But, no I didn't have to drain the engine oil as per WIS and disconnect the Oil Cooler lines union to the rubber Hose at the bottom front of the engine. I had just completely filled her up with new oil, so I was hoping I could remove it without doing that step and sure enough, removing the fan allows for you to have enough room!! I replaced the Oil Temp Sensor that is hidden behind the Compressor too! I had bought the sensors years ago when I originally rebuilt the Top half of the engine in 2017 but never could figure where it inserted as WIS incorrectly just shows a blow up of both Oil and Coolant Temp Sensors coming off the front of the engine?? It was good timing too because the top plastic part of the original sensor broke off so easily from being so brittle!! I had to use a 3/4" wrench to loosen and a tall 3/4" ratchet to tighten as 19mm was too big. WIS calls for 21Nm, but there's no room for a torque wrench so use your best judgement. Another No No I did was to use the same metal ring gasket as I didn't have the proper one!! Also, even though I was as gentle as I could have been to disco the sensor from its wiring harness connection, the little clip did release but was very loose afterwards so I used a Stay-Tie along with a rolled up piece of aluminum foil positioned over the clip of the wiring harness to keep it connected. Hopefully it serves its purpose!!!

I bought a new Radiator and Condenser too and for those of you who may not know this, the Radiator has a separate tank inside on the passenger side that serves as the Transmission Oil Cooler (WIS states that the Oil Cooler is under the Radiator, but that is where the additional engine oil cooler is!) and the Condenser has the separate Drier tank below it attached as well as the Power Steering Cooler Tank attachment points prefabbed all in one unit!! After installing new Engine Mounts and Tranny mount, it appeared my passenger Intake Tube was not long enough to mount to the Radiator so over the last week and a half I have been building up about a 1/2" lip using epoxy and fiberglass. I just hope it maintains its structure and does disintegrate over time!!! Dough!!!! While In there, I wanted to replace those Oil Cooler Tube Engine Side O-Rings that notoriously fail but the O-Rings I had ordered were the wrongs one (They ended up being the ones found where the Oil Cooler Tubes connect to the rubber hose at the front of the engine!!) I compared the one I took off from one of the Oil Tubes from the engine and could clearly see the ones I had were thinner and smaller!!! So the correct ones are now on order!! Next up, to replace the A/C Valve located under the Windshield Wipers, install both the Radiator and the Condenser along with the Tranny Oil Lines connected on the bench to be installed together, then the exhaust and a rotor, tighten the Calipers to 170NM!! using new bolts!!, and install my newly rebuilt leather Steering Wheel and Gearshift and I should be good to go. One more thing was I noticed an oil leak from my relatively newly rebuilt by RMT front Airmatic Strut, so I returned that via warranty and should pick that up soon! But alas... I have more to do with the install of a Stereo System and stripping out the original Tint (which does nothing for me in this Florida Heat) and installing FlexFilm Double Ceramic to block out UV Light and hopefully limit some intense heat. Then, last but not least!! A new Windshield! Yeah Baby!!!

Last edited by E63007; 11-12-2021 at 03:18 PM.