Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st door ding...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
1st door ding...

Well, it didn't take long...5 days and I had my first door ding. I was at a meeting this morning @ a local hotel. I decided to park the car myself (instead of valet) in their parking garage...top floor with the car parked at the very end of the row closest to a wall and three spaces between me and the next car.

Damned if I didn't get dinged anyway. Long story short...I called the local paintless dent repair shop as I was getting into my car and 40 minutes later and $80 lighter in the wallet the E55 is ding free...until next time. I've resigned myself that no matter how far I park away from other cars...someone will intentionally or unintentionally swing their door out like their was a fire under their seat.

Is this a record guys/gals? Can you beat it? I hope not...if I know this board you folks are as obsessive/compulsive about the shape of the E55 as I am...good luck with those swinging car doors!!!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
That sux. Were all the spots filled next to you or did the genius park right next to you with the open spots on the other side of him? I'm amazed at how often i'll park a mile away with 50 spots around to come out and find some idiot right next to me.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Chris...he/she was gone before I got back, but the same cars were there 3 spots away (you can't forget when a yellow H2 is near you)...so I am assuming he/she wanted to get close to the Beast.

I'm just glad the repair job was straightforward and successful.

On a side note...where do you feel the difference in your RennTech Stage 1 upgrade and do you plan to go to Stage 2?

Last edited by AMGfan; 09-13-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Record? Even though it did not happen with my E55, it happened with my Maxima.... right after I picked up the car from the dealer, I went to the airport (~10 minutes away) to pick up my friend and parked the car like your spot (end of row)... 15 minutes waiting in the airport and went back to my car only to find a dime-size ding on my front left door Amazingly, no cars on the right parking space. Someone must've knocked my car and left. Must've been a big truck / SUV as the ding is only ~ 3-4" below the window.

So if I do the math correctly, it only took me ~25-30 minutes to get my first ding.

Fortunately, my E55 so far does not have any dings (yet.... knock knock)
Old 09-13-2004, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Chris...he/she was gone before I got back, but the same cars were there 3 spots away (you can't forget when a yellow H2 is near you)...so I am assuming he/she wanted to get close to the Beast.

I'm just glad the repair job was straightforward and successful.

On a side note...where do you feel the difference in your RennTech Stage 1 upgrade and do you plan to go to Stage 2?
I guess i'm guilty of prematurely putting the Renntech (pulley and ECU) in my sig LOL! I dropped the car off today and will get it back Wed. We'll see how this goes. I may consider headers down the road.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:58 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts
Lightbulb

Using end spots are great but finding an end spot that is next to the passenger side of the another car vs one next to the driver's side reduces the odds of a door opening even more since there may not always be a passenger in the other car.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:11 AM
Almost a Member!

or park near nice cars. I've found that they tend to be a bit more courtious when opening their doors. usually if i'm parked next to someone, i tend to put my hand on the part of my door that's furtherst out, just to make sure my door won't dent anything (because we have HEAVY doors). it's a habit now
Old 09-14-2004, 05:01 AM

04 E55
We got a bad gouge from what looked like a shopping cart over a month ago. Looked deep enough to have been pushed in purposely. But the dealer recommened a repair shop that made it good as new. But it's like the world is ever so slightly off its axis till its fixed.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...like a papercut...no body else can really tell its there without a full inspection...but you know its there...annoying and painful everytime you look at it...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by makken85
or park near nice cars. I've found that they tend to be a bit more courtious when opening their doors. usually if i'm parked next to someone, i tend to put my hand on the part of my door that's furtherst out, just to make sure my door won't dent anything (because we have HEAVY doors). it's a habit now
Unless its a cadillac...at whcih you point you have to wonder, how old is this ******* gonna be and is the the 70 yr old man who takes 5 mins to get out of his car with the dor swung right open.

One of my other things I look for.. Minivans and suburbans. I stay away from them like the plague. they equal KIDS!
Old 09-14-2004, 10:20 AM

2004 E55 tectite grey/charcoal
I once parked far away from all the other cars. When I came back there was a car parked so close to my driver door that I couldn't open it. I literally had to crawl into my car from the passenger side.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:08 PM

Lots of people just don't care.. I was sitting in a car, in the drivers seat and some guy w/ the passenger side window of his truck covered in saran wrap gets out opens the passenger door, hits the car I'm in. I get out and say, what the hell? He basically told me where I could go.. Unfortunately, the guy had an easy 12" height and about 100 lbs on me so there wasn't a whole lot I felt I could do.. Guess I could've called the cops, but I was in Belmont Shores/Long Beach, CA and they've got other things to worry about like gangs etc..

Its days like these that make me wish I had a beater car to drive around.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can't say that isn't unheard of...plus the fact that the damage is usually way below your deductible and most people think that since you drive a nice car that you can afford such minimal damage.

You can only believe in karma...they'll get theirs...one day.