Sponsored by:

Question about doing E55 Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None (Yet)
Question about doing E55 Brakes

Hi all. I've been popping in and out of the forums with plenty of questions and help regarding an E55 we recently purchased, and lo and behold, I have yet another question. This time, about the brakes.

When we picked up the car, we noticed that the braking felt very...jittery. Seemed odd, since according to the previous owner, he had them replaced. We found out that, he'd done all the brake pads, but...didn't replace any of the discs. Actually, the last time the discs were changed were a solid 8 years ago, and the previous owner had only done about ~1,500 miles in the past 2 years. The car is sat at 111k miles, and he had the pads replaced around 500 miles before we bought it. Though again, that was just the pads. He did not replace the discs. The pads are borderline brand new, but the discs have a very heavy lip on them, and are warped.

As such, we're taking on the task of replacing the discs ourselves. We have the necessary tools, the concern for us is getting the pads back without damaging them since they're fresh, but also this - The brake pad sensors.

Because we're only changing the discs, and the pads are basically brand new, will that pad sensor need to still be replaced? Or can we just continue using it as is? Our local parts store has Bosch Pad wear sensors, but only for Front Right and Rear Right side, so I'm unsure if that would pose an issue if the left side has sensors too, and require replacement. (I assume they do.) We could very easily send it to our local independent, but they seem simple enough to do at home so we may aswell.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:03 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
There is only one sensor per axle so no worries on the left side (and if you do damage one it looks like you can get replacements, they are really cheap). Just pry them out carefully and you shouldn't have a problem. There isn't much special to them, just a tip that gets worn down along with the pad until it hits a point and makes an electrical 'bridge' telling the computer its hit it's limit.

Because of the high pressure in the SBC system, make sure you are disabling it somehow (either with STAR or maybe unplugging - search first on that though as I've only ever used STAR).
Old 10-28-2021, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
STAR is not needed. Simply remove caliper and unbolt the old rotor.

Good price and option for front 2pc rotors when in stock

https://newparts.com/product/brembo/09976423
Old 10-28-2021, 02:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I sourced the front and rear rotors from brembo directly they are pretty cheap about $115 each for front and $90 for rears. you don't need to replace the wear sensors you can reuse them if they have not been triggered. I personally would just get new pads but that's just me they are also pretty cheap about $50 from brembo as well.

replacing them is really easy, there is a video on YouTube from "amg meister" you should take a look at that will guide you on each step.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None (Yet)
Originally Posted by remix405
I sourced the front and rear rotors from brembo directly they are pretty cheap about $115 each for front and $90 for rears. you don't need to replace the wear sensors you can reuse them if they have not been triggered. I personally would just get new pads but that's just me they are also pretty cheap about $50 from brembo as well.

replacing them is really easy, there is a video on YouTube from "amg meister" you should take a look at that will guide you on each step.
thanks for the reply. I take it doing the rears is the same process as the front?
Old 10-28-2021, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 977 Likes on 760 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post7924776

You can also deactivate by unplugging the SBC although that will leave error codes in memory. If you fail to power down the SBC, multiple actions can cause the system to activate, pressurize, and pop the Pistons out of the calipers. Read the attachments in the link!

There are more actions concerned with one-time use of the caliper bolts, using taps to get the old micro encapsulation out of the threads, and the bolts are extremely high torque for the e55. I'll see if I can find my post which has the information from WIS.

EDIT: Here ya go:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post7498541

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post7160126

Last edited by bbirdwell; 10-28-2021 at 10:23 AM.