Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12.331 1/4 mile doin' nothin'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beowulf
FWIW, Sears has a set on sale this weekend: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00950134000
Thanks man! Just picked that up
Old 10-17-2004, 03:30 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Damn that's alot of equipment. Thanks!
If you don't want to lug stuff, no reason you can't swap to the drag radials at home & then drive to & from the track.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you don't want to lug stuff, no reason you can't swap to the drag radials at home & then drive to & from the track.
Yep, I thought about that. Any idea what kind of mileage you get out of them? The 2 closest tracks to me are 95 and 130 miles away. I just wonder how much tire life on the drag radials I'll lose getting there and back. So you think drag radials are the way to go as opposed to pure slicks?
Old 10-17-2004, 07:27 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Since you're in FL, the chances of rain at some point in the day are usually pretty good. Unless you have a clear forecast, I'd consider taking the tires to the strip.

Unfrtunately, the Nitto Extreme Drags I was running on the Vette are not available in a comparable size for the E55 (as are the BFG's). The BFG's give a bit better track results at the expense of tread longevity and poor wet weather handling. The Nitto's give up a bit at the strip, but have much better treadwear and rain capabilities.

If you went with a slick tire (even a DOT slick like the Mickey Thompson ET Streets), you'd have to find a wheel/tire combo to fit. The 26in.x 11.50in.x 17in ET Streets might be a starting point (no 18's/19's offered), but no clue on comparable wheels to fit the E55. As I said before, the car's tall rear end gearing and moderate converter stall will probably offer little advantage over the BFG's.

Bottom line, with your track commute and unpredictable weather, I'd recommend going with the BFG DR's and taking them to the track.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you're right about taking them with me, especially with the commute. The trunk is rather large, it might fit them both. Leaving me room in the back seat for the icechest to cool down the engine. Is there something officially called a "tirebag?"

Can a cordless drill have enough torque to do the wrenching work?
Old 10-17-2004, 10:35 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Can a cordless drill have enough torque to do the wrenching work?
Yikes - I always use a high quality torque wrench when swapping wheels. Dunno what the spec is on the E55 (my car won't be back until tomorrow at the earliest), but find out and don't take chances. Proper wheel bolt torque is one of my fixations. Forget about a cordless drill or even a manual wrench. Use a good torque wrench tightened to proper specs and don't forget to zero the calibration when you're done.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

don't forget to zero the calibration when you're done.
I'm in trouble now... I can't even change oil.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:59 AM

2005 E55 AMG
I think you're right about taking them with me, especially with the commute. The trunk is rather large, it might fit them both. Leaving me room in the back seat for the icechest to cool down the engine. Is there something officially called a "tirebag?"
Rather than dealing with the ice mess, consider getting a Racing Cooler (http://www.racingcoolers.com/). Regarding the "tire bag", go to one of your local tire dealers & ask - most have an oversize heavy-duty plastic bag for this purpose.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dude, you're a nut. Anything you don't know about this stuff?

What's the smallest air compressor for taking off tires one can get?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:14 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Dude, you're a nut. Anything you don't know about this stuff?

What's the smallest air compressor for taking off tires one can get?
Just sharing info from my own experience - no claim to being an authority in any way. There are others on this forum with far more knowledge about these things than I. Anyone should feel free to jump in and share their own recommendations.

Regarding the air compressor, I hope you're not serious about taking one to the strip for the purpose of using air tools to change tires. Of course, you could drag something like this along: http://www.colemanpowermate.com/comp...n0300409.shtml, and even then, you'd still have to have a 120V power source. Why bother? Get a good quality torque wrench and use a minimal amount of physical labor to swap wheels. Biggest benefit: you can adhere to manufacturer torque specs and you're not over or under-tightening the wheel. This insures both your and others' safety. Ever tried to loosen a lug bolt with a manual wrench and just about bust a gut in the process? Chances are it was tightened with an air wrench by a clueless tire jockey. Good quality torque wrenches are still relatively inexpensive, do a great job and are very simple to use - read the manual - you'll pick it up quickly.

BTW, when I mentioned a "portable air compressor" in an earlier post in this thread, I was talking about a compressor for inflating tires that typically plugs into your 12V on-board outlet, not an air compressor that uses air tools for wheel removal!

Last edited by Beowulf; 10-18-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:43 PM

Beowulf

Could you offer a suggestion for what you would consider a relatively inexpensive decent quality torque wrench?

TIA

--David
Old 10-18-2004, 07:54 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by drcrowder@yahoo
Could you offer a suggestion for what you would consider a relatively inexpensive decent quality torque wrench?

TIA

--David
Hi David,

The applicable wrench is determined by the manufacturer's spec. I don't know the spec, since my car involved in the dealer mishap is still not ready. Brand-wise, I'd suggest Kobalt, a division of Snap-On, and carried at Lowe's. You'll obviously need one with metric calibration.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:00 PM

thanks!
Old 10-18-2004, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW, when I mentioned a "portable air compressor" in an earlier post in this thread, I was talking about a compressor for inflating tires that typically plugs into your 12V on-board outlet, not an air compressor that uses air tools for wheel removal!
LOL, hence my confusion. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
One thing you might want to try is to put your suspension in the SOFTEST setting when doing 1/4 mile runs. It should help with weight transfer and give you a better 60ft time.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
DerekFSU
What was the price tag$ for the stage 2?
A week later your impression?
With the headers, is there more noise in the cabin?

I'm in West Palm so getting to C2 in Tampa would not be a problem. Looking for your honest response. Have you dynoed the car or did C2 dyno after the work?

Thanks
Ken