Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How accurate are they reviews?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How accurate are they reviews?

Help me out please. I am very excited about this car, I didn’t think I would be fortunate enough to drive a car like this until my forties at the very soonest, if ever. This car is a pretty large step up from what I am used to driving, prior to this: Z4, S6, S4, M3, A4 good cars, but about half the value (or less) of the E55. As you can imagine the 8 weeks I have to wait are killing me, I have read every review, write up and comparison I can find on all of the search engines. All have a common theme:

Beautiful car
Luxurious interior
Incredible acceleration, in every gear, under all circumstances
Lousy Steering / Handling
Funky brakes that will accidentally panic stop and are very very touchy

So all of that was just to ask: Is it really that bad? Why do they say this?

Yep I’m now getting worried….

Thanks in advance for your responses
Old 10-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
All those are very subjective.

From what I've driven and riden in, the reviews you've stated are right on the spot except with the lousy steering / handling. That is relative to what car you are comparing it to. For me, the steering was lock-on target style and felt very assured no matter where I pointed it (sometimes, that's a bad thing.. THE TREE MAN THE TREE!)

Brakes are something that you get used to. Just give it a few miles worth of driving and you'll be the master at making the car stop on a dime without any kind of suspension drop back (I think that's what you call it).
Old 10-15-2004, 02:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC300 sport
If your car comes with the continental tires...just get rid of them on day one and the handling will be 100x better. The car is very nice, the steering is heavy but accurate.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Beautiful car
(very pleasing to the eye...as opposed to BMW exterior)

Luxurious interior
(to me it is very "warm" and inviting interior)

Incredible acceleration, in every gear, under all circumstances
(YESSSSS!!!! ) - my best launch has been partial throttle to about 1500-2000 revs, then punch it (I had ESP on) - the passing ability is incredible and so very easy to do...

Lousy Steering / Handling
(For highway purposes...handling is good...not made for twisties...)

Funky brakes that will accidentally panic stop and are very very touchy
(I personally haven't had too much to adjust too...maybe a couple of days of driving the car was all I needed...haven't experienced accidental panic stops, though)
Old 10-15-2004, 05:03 AM

04 E55
Put the brakes out of your mind. Before you get the car home you'll be fine with them. The handling is good for a sedan, and with better tires probably very good. The ride is very compliant without feeling spongy. That's a big issue for me. There is nothing whatsoever about this car that driving it on a daily basis would leave you with any regrets.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:57 AM

Thanks...

Exactly what I was hoping to hear! I don't have the expectations that it will handle like my Z4 (one of the reasons I'm keeping it) but when you read some of the articles using "twitchy, off-center, does not inspire confidence, etc..." I was starting to wonder....
Old 10-15-2004, 11:22 AM

I have never driven a Z4 but if you are getting into the E55 with low handling expectations they might be exceeded It isnt really all that bad IMO. However, like others have pointed out this car is a luxury missile not particularly made for canyon carving.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:09 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I've had my 05 E55 for 3 months and although not perfect, the car is the best I've ever had. I gave up on the Continental tires after 5000 miles and replaced them with michelin ps2. I suggest doing this ASAP. They make the car turn in faster, handle better and firmer. They should be OE in my opinion.

My wife drives an 03 M3 and the E55 will smoke it at any speed. The only stock vehicle that is quicker that I have personally driven is a Porshe 911Turbo and by the seat of the pants doesn't feel that much quicker.

Don't worry about the brakes they have been fixed on the 05, I can't tell them from standard hydraulic brakes. My 03 E500 had very strange twitchy brakes but apparently they solved the problem.

Despite the little annoyances you will love this car, and there is an added bonus.....you won't see many others around. It's a very exclusive club. :p
Old 10-17-2004, 03:07 PM

2004 E55 tectite grey/charcoal
Personally I never had a problem with the brakes even from the first drive. I thought they were easy to modulate. Also the handling is good for a two ton luxury sedan. It's not a sports car but then it doesn't ride like a sports car either. MB did a good job of providing a good ride with still decent handling.