W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newb with some questions about 04 E55 which just arrived in the family.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
newb with some questions about 04 E55 which just arrived in the family.

I've been lurking on this board for awhile, but haven't registered until recently. I've always been an AMG fan.

Anyway, I have some questions, and they seem to be the kind that should be easy to answer, but I haven't been able to find the precise (albeit basic) info I need.

My mother-in-law recently purchased an 04 E55 (pre-owned..no handy window sticker listing this car's options) and I'm trying to find a list of what options were available on the 04's to see what her car has. I can tell it doesn't have Distronic or Keyless Go, but other than that I don't know what options were available for 04. (Me being the car junkie of the family, I selflessly undertook this thankless task.)

Another question: it has the COMAND system but the Nav function comes up as "unavailable" when the Nav button is pressed. The salesman (from whom they've purchased several MB's over the years, so they "trust" him.) said that the car did not have Nav. I was under the impression that Nav was part of the COMAND option, so that if the car had COMAND, then it had Nav too.

I'm hoping that you experts can clear it up for me. I read that the Nav system hardware was mounted in the left side of the trunk, behind a pop-open door; there is some sort of rectangular box mounted in there (seems to be electronic because it looks like it's ventilated for heat dissipation), but I can't tell what it is.

The car also has an aftermarket radar detector which seems to have been custom installed so that none of its major components are visible. The detector didn't come with any kind of manual & the salesman didn't know what it was other than a vague "I think it's some sort of radar/laser detector/scrambler."

The detector has two LED's in the dash, mounted on the right and left side of the instrument display. When the car is started, it goes through an initialization mode that makes both LEDs light up, and the alarm tones can be heard through the speakers, alternating around the cabin like it's making sure each location works.

I haven't driven the car much, but it seems that when the detector alarm is triggered, either the right or left LED will light up to indicate from which side the signal is being received, and the alarm will be heard through the speakers right/left/front/rear depending on from which direction the signal is received. FI, if the signal is sensed in the front, the sound seems to come from the front speakers, and as you pass the signal source, it will be heard through the side speakers on the side corresponding to the source, then finally from the rear after you pass the source.

I can't tell with certainty if the sound really does come from a different speaker (music is always on), but it seems that way.

If anyone can give me some clues as to the make & model of the detector, I'll try to get a manual so we can figure out how to adjust & use it...as it is, it comes on automatically and seems very sensitive because it is triggered by store doors with auto-openers.

Thanks for your assistance; I'm sure my first post wins the "Virgin of the Day" award.

(and I don't plan to put my M-I-L's E55 in my sig and pretend it's mine )

DGussin: if you read this post, it's Snail from the SVT forums.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
you don't have nagivation, but can get it installed by the dealer for ~1200 IIRC, post pics for people to help you w/the radar detector
Old 11-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E55 AMG
As far as the detector goes, there really is nothing to see; the only visible components are the two small red LEDs on either side of the instrument display (flat "tray" area right in front of gauges). I've looked for other components of the system, but can't find them.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by moa4r
you don't have nagivation, but can get it installed by the dealer for ~1200 IIRC, post pics for people to help you w/the radar detector

and thanks for the quick reply, moa4r. So just for the sake of clarity: the Nav option is independent of COMAND?
Old 11-05-2004, 02:14 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
the radar detector is a K40. www.k40.com

pretty nice radar detector, worth nearly 2.5k.

you'll see the dots on the website and the tech support is really good if you call.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally Posted by bsimonson
and thanks for the quick reply, moa4r. So just for the sake of clarity: the Nav option is independent of COMAND?
all the e-classes after '03 came with the command standard. Navigation, sirrius radio, etc etc are all options... and, no problem
Old 11-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E55 AMG
exactly the info I'm looking for. I just downloaded the manuals from the K40 site.

Now does anyone have a list of the options available on 04 E55's?
Old 11-05-2004, 04:09 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
let me know how the K40 treats you. i'm debating on whether to get that or if i should just stick with a V1.

could you take a picture of the LEDs on the dash for me? i'd like to see what it looks like installed. thanks.

as for other options, you should be able to take the VIN # and the dealer can pull up what you have or do not have.

anything aftermarket should be obvious. but you can add:

bluetooth phone (aftermarket, doesn't integrate so far with head unit).
or motorola v60
six disk changer
software upgrade so cd player plays mp3's.
sirius satellite
lighted doorsills

other than that, go to www.mbusa.com and do a build our own E55. you'll see all the options. i think all of them were available on the 04 that are for the 05.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E55 AMG
I drove the E55 home from work tonight, and although I saw several police cars, they were in areas where there are also auto door openers (grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.) so I don't know what I was picking up. I also wasn't really paying attention to the detector because I was within the speed limit in heavy traffic.

I did look the car over a little bit more and I found where the front diffuser is mounted behind the lower grille. If I have a chance I'll take pics of the LEDs for you. I have to say that unless they are lit they are practically invisible & the install is very clean...no wires or anything else showing but the tiny LEDs.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:38 PM

ML350 '06
I'm wondering if the dealer took the Nav CD out and that's why you don't have Nav. You should be able to buy a recent copy and then be able to use Nav. Why would the car come with the Comand feature and not have Nav? Seems strange to me.

Also, I found this on that site listed above for the K-40...
"A unique two piece control switch, installed discreetly under the kick panel or in the dash, adjusts the on/off, city/highway, and volume functions."

Hope this is the case with yours?

Nick

Last edited by Nickerz; 11-05-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E55 AMG
THanks for the info on the switch, Nick.

I was also wondering if perhaps the Nav software had been removed. I could try to load the software from my FIL's S500 to see if it would work, but in the manual it says that only Nav software from the E class will work (?). Does anyone know where the Nav hardware is located? Maybe it's a simple thing of popping open a trunk panel and seeing whether or not the GPS system is in there??

one of the previous responses said that COMAND is standard on 03+ E classes, and doesn't have to have Nav.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:21 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Congrats,..

I'm still waiting for mine. You were asking for the options in the 04 E55 - well, just check the options in my signature and add the solar-panel (not available any more) . If you check my previous (first) thread you can also find the matching order-codes for 05 (only some minor changes, they split up some packages like the seating-package. In 04, you only had to order one package, now you need two options for the same equipment). There are also some minor changes in the interior, but really minor (AC rest heat, clima-controlled center-console are both gone and I think they changed the filter?!).

I hope I could help. Let me know if you need add. info!
Old 11-06-2004, 04:06 PM

too many to list
If you know which delear originally sold the car, you can obtain a copy of the window sticker from them. Your K40 works well from what I've heard. Good diffuser but as far as Radar, V1 is best IMO. PM me if you have more questions.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:54 PM
D-5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
If you have the "Nav" button, then you must have navigation!! I think nick is right, the navi disc is probably missing. If your S500's navigation screen is on the left and the buttons on the right, that means you have the old CD-based comand. Your E55 has the new DVD comand, therefore the navigation disc in your s500 wouldn't work in the E55. I don't think there is a navigation dvd specificly for E-class. The one thing is if you're gonna buy it from your local mercedes dealer, make sure you get the lastest version!! or if you have a dvd burner and happen to know someone who has a the disc.... Did anyone try this?? wondering if it will work, cause I know CD-R works perfectly in my clk...
Old 11-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E55 AMG
Thanks for the replies, all. MBWorld.org has singlehandedly solved the radar detector mystery for me.

The COMAND system has a "Nav" button on the left side, and when you press it it goes to a Nav screen with a compass in the background, and the script "function not avaible" (or something like that) appears on the screen. There is a disc slot directly above the COMAND LCD w/an EJECT button below.

I'm still wondering if anyone knows where exactly the Nav hardware is mounted in the car so I can physically look for it. It's annoying to think that the car might have Nav & the only problem is something so simple as missing software.

I think this E55 was originally sold by Autohaus Pompano (you So FL guys are familiar with them) and was traded in at/re-sold by MB of Miami off 163rd St. & I-95. Who knows, maybe the car used to belong to one of the people on this board...
Old 11-07-2004, 03:52 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
NAV DVD is inserted in trunk. Or so I was told by my dealer....
Old 11-07-2004, 06:49 PM

E500
When you press the NAV button is says "Unavailable" because you don't have the navigation option. All 2004's come with the large COMAND Screen and the NAV button. However, if you had Navigation you would have a DVD-Navigation Single-CD Unit in the Trunk on the Left as noted earlier. If you did not have the CD Inserted, when you press the NAV button it would say, please insert disc.

The K40 Radar/Laser system doesn't always go off when you see cops because if they don't have their radar on and are just simply sitting on the side of the road, then your radar detector has nothing to pickup. Hope that helps.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:03 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by FloridaE55
There are also some minor changes in the interior, but really minor (AC rest heat, clima-controlled center-console are both gone and I think they changed the filter?!).
I can definitely say that the "Rest" button & function works on my '05 E55. The button placement has moved vs. the '04, but works nonetheless!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Almost a Member!

'04 E55 AMG
much appreciated. I'd say all of my questions have been answered.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
with your VIN number your dealership can pull up a spec sheet on the car and it will show the options that came with your car from the factory. Any dealer can do it, I know thats how it is with BMW. Ask for a VMI, vehicle master inquiry.... speak to your service dept.