Sponsored by:

White smoke continously blowing (video) e55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E55
White smoke continously blowing (video) e55

Car had a top end reassembly (new heads, cams, etc) + new bottom end done 2 months ago, The mechanic insisted I install a catch can to fix the car having blue/white smoke on startup. I delayed this because I didn't think it was urgent and wanted to save money to do it later on.

The car was only blowing smoke at startup now it is continuously blowing, I am currently having a catch can installed because apparently, it would fix this issue according to him.

Does failing to install a catch end up doing this? I've been told since I delayed installing the catch can it could have damaged the engine. 99% of people I've consulted (including other workshops) said this has nothing to do with a catch can.

Everyone says except mechanic there is something wrong with the repair job that was done for it to be blowing smoke (car is also losing about 2L of oil every 1000kms)

Looking for inputs on this please as this is under warranty, thank you

Last edited by amibrah; 03-03-2024 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 323 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Didn't you post this issue and get an answer already ?
Engine needs a rebuild.....again. Engine DOES NOT need a catch can to correct 2L of oil per 1km oil use.
And my god it's leaking an insane amount of oil on the ground !!!! Catch Can ??? LOL
That engine block has to be in VERY good hands to finish the cylinder walls correctly and clearly was not. So of course the builder will say it's normal since it is under warranty.....he does not want to do it again.
Also white smoke can be head gaskets leaking water into cylinders or that smoke is oil burning but it is very easy to tell the difference by the smell of it.

Good luck !

Last edited by SICAMG; 03-03-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:25 PM

Mercedes E55
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Didn't you post this issue and get an answer already ?
Engine needs a rebuild.....again. Engine DOES NOT need a catch can to correct 2L of oil per 1km oil use.
And my god it's leaking an insane amount of oil on the ground !!!! Catch Can ??? LOL
That engine block has to be in VERY good hands to finish the cylinder walls correctly and clearly was not. So of course the builder will say it's normal since it is under warranty.....he doe's not want to do it again.
Also white smoke can be head gaskets leaking water into cylinders or that smoke is oil burning but it is very easy to tell the difference by the smell of it.

Good luck !
Thanks mate yes I did post about it, at first it was leaking on ground and now it's blowing smoke.

Mechanic says "don't listen to the forum idiots" whenever I point out there is something wrong and 99% of people I consult (everyone except him) says this job was stuffed

nd I have been trying to get feedback on this from different workshops to convince him this should not be happening. I get told this is because I failed to install a catch can.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Tell him to look at another car that runs correctly and see if it is blowing all that smoke !! Or ask him if his car smokes like that on top of the crazy oil leaking. An engine should NEVER be leaking oil like that ....ever !!
I would also pull the plugs and see what they look like as well.

Last edited by SICAMG; 03-03-2024 at 08:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rallyboy383 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
That is absolutely not acceptable and no, a catch can absolutely will not fix that issue.

M113K's don't even use catch cans from the factory. Even if what he said is true, "the car needs a catch can now" it doesn't answer the question that your car and every other 55k ever built managed to leave the factory without ever blowing blue smoke or needing a catch can.

Oil is getting blown into the combustion chamber and apparently leaking all over the ground. There's no outcome here where the shop didn't mess something up. It might be fixable, it might not, and he knows it.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:32 AM

tesla
Any update?

Edit: Ok, thank you for replying.

Last edited by MeredithHodge; 03-23-2024 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:59 AM

Mercedes E55
Originally Posted by MeredithHodge
Any update?
Nothing yet, car has been in storage since it was identified piston rings are bad. Bottom end needs a rebuild / or new bottom end. Any further damage (from oil starvation) is unknown.

Mechanic is currently looking for a new bottom end
Old 03-13-2024, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amibrah
Nothing yet, car has been in storage since it was identified piston rings are bad. Bottom end needs a rebuild / or new bottom end. Any further damage (from oil starvation) is unknown.

Mechanic is currently looking for a new bottom end
bad rings almost always equal scored cylinder walls. If so, you need much more than new bottom end.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:24 PM

Mercedes E55
Originally Posted by Sulaco
bad rings almost always equal scored cylinder walls. If so, you need much more than new bottom end.
Cylinder walls are located in the bottom end aren't they? Sorry not too familiar with engines. I had heads put in 4 months ago at the time of this job

Car was towed each time it ran low on oil or blew heavy smoke, been on tow truck 5 times since this job was done

Mechanic has ordered a bottom end, which he believes only the bottom is destroyed. I'm hoping this is the case, this job totals out to around $25,000 Australian dollars (along with few other things done)
Old 04-04-2024, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"bottom end" normally means everything inside the block that moves (crank, pistons, piston rods, bearings, piston rings)

make sure he's including "new block" or "professional re-sleeve of current block" in his recommendation about "bottom end"
Old 04-04-2024, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Thats around 16,000 dollars US money. That is insane.My complete sleeved short block with custom pistons was $5,500.00 so hope your getting some good stuff for that 25,000 claim they have.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:00 AM

Received 386 Likes on 267 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Have this “mechanic” find a used engine. They clearly have zero clue how to repair them. What are the laws in your country to protect you from that scammer. I hope you have captured this all in an email or texts and not by phone….

Listen to the poster above. There is no amount of engine work that should cost you this much, especially for a stock engine. It never should have had the top end off cause at that point you could have purchased a used engine with a warranty.

I have a feeling based on your statement that you don’t know where piston rings are, that you are being severely taken advantage of.

Sorry to put it so bluntly but nobody else has ….

After this is over, never ever go back there and warn everyone you know to stay away.

good luck