Sponsored by:

The Art of the Deal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55
The Art of the Deal

Looking for some suggestions on how to handle a situation that I expect will occur in the next few days. About a month ago, when no E55s were available, I contacted a broker and ordered one to my specifications for estimated delivery in March 2005. Since that time, I've been contacted by two dealers in the area, each with black E55s. The first one was stock and the dealer acted like he didn't want me to sit in the car before buying it. Naturally, I'm not taking my business there. The other one, however, poses an interesting dilemma.

According to the MB rep, someone ordered the car in 2003 and had been waiting for over year before he decided to buy another car. As is always the case, the ordered car comes in with no one attached. As far as the car goes, it's a 2005 with everything that I want except a slight change in the color (flat black versus Obsidian Black). The MSRP on the car, loaded with options (panorama roof, nav, keyless go, comfort pkg, lighting pkg, parktronic) is around $90K, but the dealership has it listed for $100K (claiming a "market adjustment").

I went in and test drove the car. Of course, it's phenomenal! I would have bought it that night if my wife hadn't calmed me down. The sales man called me the next day and claimed that he was ready to do the deal, that we'd find a way to work around the extra $10K padding to the invoice. I made it clear that that was only the starting point, especially since I had a car to specification arriving shortly for less.

The end of the month is coming and I believe the pressure will be on the dealer to get rid of the car. Assuming that we start the negotiations at MSRP and not the ridiculous number in the window, what do you think is a realistic number for the car? How should I handle it when the call comes?

Also, what would be good numbers on a 36-month lease (including residual values)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:43 PM

2004 E55 tectite grey/charcoal
Do what you can but don't expect much less than msrp, but I also wouldn't pay a penny over msrp.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
If he tries to make you pay any of that 10K markup, walk out the door. After all, you have one coming thats exactly what you want that you can pay sticker for. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:59 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Agreed - not a penny over MSRP. Anything else is gravy.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:02 PM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
If you dont really want black but really want obsidian (I have obsidian and I wouldn't want regular black) then any realistic amount off sticker that you could get ( say MAYBE 1k off maximum, and a big maybe) shouldn't be worth not getting what you really want. For most of us, the E55 is as good as it gets.....why should you have to compromise? That 1k you might save will mean nothing very soon after purchase, but the taste of not waiting for what you had your heart set on after dropping almost 90 on a car will surely linger. BE PATIENT, it will be all the sweeter.

If, on the other hand, the colors make no difference, then go for it but expect very little off, maybe nothing in all honesty, especially a dealer already marking up. That is not a car that will sit around long.

I don't know about the lease cause I bought, but with tax in and 0 down 12k mi around 1450 would be a good deal.

My advice, wait for the obsidian.

No regrets.
Attached Thumbnails The Art of the Deal-rearqlowres.jpg  
Old 11-26-2004, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
marcus benz suggested this to me. If you lease the car then they wont impose that markup therefor you can get the car maybe even at lower then MSRP. make one or two months payment on the car and then buy it! goodluck
Old 11-26-2004, 09:21 PM

2003 E55 Techtite over Blue Leather.
It makes little difference what you pay for the car if they end up reeming you on the money factor. Your best opportunity to save is to negotiate the purchase price based on them thinking you will buy it. Once you agree on your purchase price (which should be approx $1k off MSRP if you ask me), call lease by tel or some othe lease ***** out there who will gladly sell you his paper. That's teh only way to do it. Like this you can shop every lease guy using the identical parameters (36 mos, 12 k miles per year,etc). The dealers make a ton of $$ on writing the lease themselves. Don't give them the satisfaction.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:02 PM

'05 E55
Thanks to all. You're right, E55Soon, I have been comparing all the lease companies on the internet (thanks to the advice on this board) and think it's a much better way to go than to haggle with a dealer over MB's rates. I thought about buying the car, but of course, I'm thinking of other uses for my money. If the car is all that I imagine it will be, there's no doubt that I will buy it. I'm just thinking about the optimal outlay of cash.

Eagleeye, why wouldn't you take a regular black E55? What is it about the Obsidian Black that adds to the car, in your opinion? The problem is that I've never even seen the Obsidian in person on any MB car. It's just based on personal experience that metallic paint seems to last longer and appear better longer than non-metallic paint.

FixedUp -- What do you mean to make two payments and buy it? Wouldn't there be contractual provisions in the lease preventing this (like penalties for prepayment)? Without the benefit of the lease before us, wouldn't that be a way to circumvent the bargain and thus everyone would do this (i.e., get a car through a lease to get around the markup and then buy the car)?

This thread is really helping me (and I hope it's helping others too). I know I'm going to be prepared when the time comes to pull the trigger.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:39 AM

too many to list
Patience is a virtue I dont have. I walked into the local MB dealership and they had an Obsidian Black on black E55 unspoken for about two months ago. I walked out the same night getting just under MSRP. You can do it. Be bold and say its MSRP for a deal or bye-bye. Just my .02.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:47 AM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
It is really a matter of personal preference. I like the obsidian because the metallic really sparkles in the sun and looks beautiful IMO, and it will show much less swirls than the regular black. I have found this car much easier to keep looking good than my old flat black Audi A4.

I will get you a pic of the obsidian in the sunshine tomorrow so you can really appreciate the metallic.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
i have no idea if there are restrictions in your contract however can't you buy out of the lease whenever you want? I could be wrong and i probably am.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:27 AM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by eagleeye
It is really a matter of personal preference. I like the obsidian because the metallic really sparkles in the sun and looks beautiful IMO, and it will show much less swirls than the regular black. I have found this car much easier to keep looking good than my old flat black Audi A4.

I will get you a pic of the obsidian in the sunshine tomorrow so you can really appreciate the metallic.
Thanks, Eagleeye. I would really appreciate the photo. Reading your post again, I'm leaning towards waiting for my Obsidian E55 to get here, even if it takes a couple of months. There's nothing like the shimmer of metallic paint, especially in a dark color. BTW, good choice in color!
Old 11-27-2004, 01:45 AM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by E55Soon
It makes little difference what you pay for the car if they end up reeming you on the money factor. Your best opportunity to save is to negotiate the purchase price based on them thinking you will buy it. Once you agree on your purchase price (which should be approx $1k off MSRP if you ask me), call lease by tel or some othe lease ***** out there who will gladly sell you his paper. That's teh only way to do it. Like this you can shop every lease guy using the identical parameters (36 mos, 12 k miles per year,etc). The dealers make a ton of $$ on writing the lease themselves. Don't give them the satisfaction.
E55Soon, have you used Lease by Tel? What about Lease Compare? Heard any good or bad things about any other internet leasing companies? I'm wondering how it works, if they go to the dealer to pick up the car and then deliver it to me. I'd rather be the one picking it up from the dealer.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:48 AM

'05 E55
Originally Posted by FIXEDupW209
i have no idea if there are restrictions in your contract however can't you buy out of the lease whenever you want? I could be wrong and i probably am.
I think you're right. I forgot there's always a payoff option but you may have to call the leasing company to get the exact figure. Usually, they only calculate at the end of the lease.