W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting new rims and tires..do I need to roll my fenders?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Getting new rims and tires..do I need to roll my fenders?

I am getting Lorinser LM5's, 19x8.5 & 19.9 with PS2 tires. I went to three shops before I decided on going with CEC in Los Angeles. They are now telling me that the new price they are quoting me is with the fenders rolled. They are the only shop that told me to roll the fenders. The manager told me that they never put on 19's without rolling the fenders. He said if I have three adults in the back and something heavy in the trunk it will rub and ruin the rim. The other two shops I went to didn't mention this. It's an extra fee to have this done. Is this necessary?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is yours a W211 E55?? Ummm.....you have chosen the most expensive shop to get the wheels afterall. Since they are the largest Lorinser distributor, their words should be more expensive too. HOWEVER, I dont think the LM5 needs rolling at the back with 19x8.5/19x9.5. You can send me an e-mail and I'll try to help you out a bit.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
there are different levels of rubbing. If you have those wheels installed chances are it wont rub often if at all. BUt if you drive hard and throw the car around it very well could rub. Just because one shop did not mention the issue does not me it does not exist. Half the cars with wheel upgrades rub but no one bothers to notice. A stock SL55 will rub on some sections of "the ring" so aftermarket items are even more likely to do so.

As for CEC being a ton of money... they are... but sometimes people value a local shop that will provide good service with their high price. Last I check they were not hurting for business. They clearly do something very well. Some people dont mind shelling out more money for the pleasure of a local shop doing the work and the peace of mind that goes with being able to go back and knock on their door if something does not work correctly.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:04 AM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

G

Old 12-07-2004, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
I doubt you will have any problem, the fenders on the 211 are pre-rolled and the rim sizes you selected really arent that big compared to what the 211 can handle.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:03 AM

2003 porsche 996tt Ruf, 2005 SL55 Renntech
you should not need them rolled, i'm running 10" wide rims (19") in the back with ps2 and no rubbing
Old 12-07-2004, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
I have a 210. I agree CEC is an expensive shop. You should see the large selection of exotic cars the owner drives. As for the price, they are matching the price of a local dealer. It's the fender rolling they are trying to get me for. I think I am going to say no. How often do people ride with three large adults and something heavy in the trunk? The car is not lowered so I don't see myself damaging it over the bumps. I do plan on taking it to the track a few times. I think they all see us Mercedes owners coming and say, they can afford it.

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2004, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
DO NOT let them roll your fenders. First of all, they are already "rolled" compared to other 210's (I know, I compared my 55 to the E430). Once it's done, there's no going back. You can always do it later.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by BENZGal
I have a 210. I agree CEC is an expensive shop. You should see the large selection of exotic cars the owner drives. As for the price, they are matching the price of a local dealer. It's the fender rolling they are trying to get me for. I think I am going to say no. How often do people ride with three large adults and something heavy in the trunk? The car is not lowered so I don't see myself damaging it over the bumps. I do plan on taking it to the track a few times. I think they all see us Mercedes owners coming and say, they can afford it.
The final word of this is that if you plan to go to the track let them roll the fenders. The C32 I track did not rub when driven on a daily basis but in the canyons where we test such things as rubbing and suspension settings, the car started rubbing terribly. With track use the car will be rolling a whole lot more than you will see on the streets. So it’s best to keep the tires away from the fender lips. I know that turn 8 at Willow Springs is fairly bumpy and the wheel will be pressed up a great deal. The last thing you want when taking a turn at 120-130 is for the tire to be cut by some metal.

Skip the risk roll the fenders! If done correctly its 100% safe. Make sure they don’t crack the paint....

Once you get to a track day the last thing you want to have happen is for something to not work as expected. It really turns a great day into a mess. When at the track all you want to do is drive... not worry about the car!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:46 PM

a car
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Yup, Mr. Ettensberger, has a nice selection of vehicles. I'm trying to see if I can get a winter internship there.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm quite familiar with CEC given that they were my first choice of a company when I began to make aesthetic changes to my car. First of all, the staff there is very helpful; I was helped by Jason and he's a great guy. My opinion of their prices, however, differs. Although CEC is a very cleanly organized shop and is one of, if not the most professional aesthetics shop in the country they run way too high. I saw their list of prices that they claim to recieve their Lorinser parts for...jacked up about 10% and they said thats FACTORY price. I strongly believe that one who knows how to properly manage money never throws it away no matter how much one may have. That being said, I went to other shops to have the work done. I'm sure that if I spoke with Jason or even Claus (he is often there) I could have recieved some sort of better price, but to me, it wasn't worth it. Now I sort of regret it but it's too late. IMO, you should talk to them, and stick with them if you think their prices are reasonable. GOOD IDEA on asking the board about rolling the fenders though. They do seem to be the sort of people who would "persuade" you to get something that isn't necessarily necessary. Good luck with whatever happens!