W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone got any real world experience with WRX???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Anyone got any real world experience with WRX???

All I keep hearing about is this "WRX STI will beat" the 55...hands down.

Yet, all the research I keep finding suggests a different story.

Here are the stats from Drag Times.com....just love this site as it lists the Joe Schmoo 1/4 mile times alongside the John Forces/super modders.

Anyway, it seems like the average times for the WRX STI are running low to mid 13's. Here is the link...

Link to WRX Drag Times

Here is the link to the times they have for the 55.

E55 Times

Most of the average 55 guys are running mid 12's or better.

We are talking about .5 to .75 sec difference in times on average....I guess I just don't get it.

Is it the fact that you can mod um cheaper like the cobra?

Now the EVO, that's a different story....times are about the same as ours.

EVO Times

Being about the same, I would say it is all up to driver on who wins that one..no? Better launch = winner.

Thoughts??
Old 12-19-2004, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Jakpro,

Neither the EVO, WRX, or WRX STi will be able to beat a E55 in stock configuration, plain and simple. We are running 12.0 flat bone stock...

-m
Old 12-19-2004, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Jakpro,

Neither the EVO, WRX, or WRX STi will be able to beat a E55 in stock configuration, plain and simple. We are running 12.0 flat bone stock...

-m

it might beat w210! But not w211, Although some guy wants to race me in his 460hp Sti! But i guess it wont happen till spring now, coz it's pointless to do it in -10 weather.

I like Subaru Sti!
Old 12-19-2004, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Owned an Evo 8 with 390hp (crank) and my younger brother just sold his lightly modded WRX that I drove many times.

The WRX was a POS. The shifter was rubbery and imprecise and the tranny broke one day while he was in traffic and because it was modded, they wouldnt warrant it. The only things it beat were modded hondas and unimpressive cars. The STI's 6 speed REQUIRES 2 SHIFTS TO GET TO 60!

The Evo was a wicked car to drive. Better in every way than the WRX or STI and nothing ever broke. The steering was fast and full of feel and the shifter was like a rifle bolt. The ONLY complaint I had was that you couldnt shift into 2nd too fast. You can still shift fast, but I can shift faster in my GT-R as there is no limit. Hard to explain, but that was the only thing that bothered me. The Evo was a great car and when I have some extra cash lying around, it is likely that I will buy another one.

I raced numerous cars and annhilated many E39 M5's to their suprise. I even ran a Ferrari 550 on Ventura Blvd late one night and he started fishtailing trying to keep up and almost ran it into oncoming traffic! I did have a chance to race a 55K powered car, an E55 as it turns out and it was nothing through 1st and second gears, then as I got to the end of third and into 4th he starting gaining some ground. It looked like it would have been a close 1/4 mile, I likely held him off for longer than 1320 feet but I couldnt have held him off for much longer. Just keep in mind my Evo had everything there is shy of a turbo upgrade, Boost Controller set to 24psi, ECU, Camshatfts, titanium valvesprings and titanium retainers, Intercooler upgrade, piping uprade, intake, downpipe, exhaust, lightweight TE37 rims, and the list goes on. The car was built to kill on the street so had it been a stock Evo, the E55 would have massacred it!

Last edited by VelocitE55; 12-19-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
there is no way an Evo or STI can keep up with the E55... the difference trap speed is all you need to really compare.... average for the E55 is probably 115MPH, while the STI and Evo's might be trapping 105.... that 10MPH difference is like day night night.... or a good a** whooping....

I've repeatedly beat my friends modded WRX with my C32.... off the line it's close, but after that, it's a nice walk away...

side note, my C32 has 4 months left, almost put a deposit down today at the dealer on 2005 E55, sticker was 84,500.... I think I'm going to go for a 2004 in a few months... I've seen a few in the 75k range.... can't wait...

try the compare option on DragTimes.com

E55 vs WRX vs Evo

Last edited by Fikse; 12-19-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
my little brother has a heavily modified wrx sti that he has running 11's with. he has put a lot of time into that biotch. but i have to admit... it is really fast. and i love the awd
Old 12-19-2004, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Fikse
there is no way an Evo or STI can keep up with the E55... the difference trap speed is all you need to really compare.... average for the E55 is probably 115MPH, while the STI and Evo's might be trapping 105.... that 10MPH difference is like day night night.... or a good a** whooping....

Stock for stock, you are right but both the Evo and STI are highly responsive to modification and a turbo upgrade is really all they would need to beat the AMG 55K line. If you condsider power to weight ratio plus the AWD, its not difficult to make a faster Evo or STI.

My Evo didnt have a turbo upgrade (although it had everything else!)and still came out as the likely winner in 1/4 mile vs the E55. Just imagine it with a turbo upgrade! Dont get me wrong though, most Evo's and STI's out there would be eaten by the 55K cars, but there will always be a few around that will surprise us.

Last edited by VelocitE55; 12-19-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:37 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
Stock for stock, you are right but both the Evo and STI are highly responsive to modification and a turbo upgrade is really all they would need to beat the AMG 55K line. If you condsider power to weight ratio plus the AWD, its not difficult to make a faster Evo or STI.

My Evo didnt have a turbo upgrade (although it had everything else!)and still came out as the likely winner in 1/4 mile vs the E55. Just imagine it with a turbo upgrade! Dont get me wrong though, most Evo's and STI's out there would be eaten by the 55K cars, but there will always be a few around that will surprise us.
If you're comparing bone stock cars, the E55 is near the top of the food chain. If you're talking modded cars vs. stock E55's, let's not kid ourselves - there are more than just a few that will eat the E55 for breakfast.

So far, we've had to be satisfied with our stock performance (or spend big bucks to be incrementally faster). I'm interested in an E55 that exploits its performance potential in the same way that a modded EVO, STi, Cobra, Lightning, etc., does.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Thats what Im saying. The E55 will massacre Evos and STI's when both are stock. In modded form, the Evo and STI are very capable of taking E55's. If the E55 is modded, than that just raises the probability that any Evo or STI will lose.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:22 PM

2005 E55 AMG

I just wish the E55 were as responsive to mods as the EVO. That's not going to happen until we solve some inherent M 113 motor problems, especially the heat issue. I don't mind spending $$$ for mods, but I want the best bang for the buck. No offense to those who've explored current engine mod options, but I'm waiting to see some documented solutions that better exploit the motor's potential.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:09 PM
TCM

2001 BMW M5
I have driven and modified both. The E55 is much faster in terms of straight line acceleration, but the STi is like a go kart through the corners, especially with an aftermarket suspension. I also do not want to hear about how much easier the STi respnds to mods, as the E55 is not that bad either. My M5 requires about $8-15k to get a decent power boost.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I have personal experience against an STi... An all-white STi was pacing me on the highway on my way home from work one night. He sped past me and then got in front of me in the fast lane.

He was starting to **** me off because he would keep slowing down almost like he was trying to purposely tick me off. Anyways, I put up with him for almost 10min and then a spot opened up to his right... well... I put my foot down (remember we were already cruising at 100-120km/h), went into the lane to his right, and I could see that he floored it to keep me from getting in front of him...

It was no use... I had already out-accelerated him, got in front of him and then made him a tiny white speck in my mirror. It was so far from a competition that I just chuckled out loud.. I thought they were really quick cars.... Not quick enough for the W211 I guess.

Anyways, a few KMs up the road, he catches up because I had resumed my cruising speed.. I guess he wanted to double confirm and lined up right beside me... Again, I was cruising at 120km/h... I waited for him to jump first.. As soon as I saw him move, I dumped the throttle... I pulled away from him so fast it looked like he was going backwards. I brought it up to 180km/h and then just hit the brakes.

P.S-> If the guy who was driving the all-white STi driving up the 427 North onto 407 East reads this... Next time don't block the FAST LANE!!!!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Thanks you guys! Yeah, that is about what I figured...many Sub's and EVO's are likely to be modded so watch my step....got it. Stock though...heh.heh.hehhhh.

There are a couple of cooler looking guys around driving them (mostly Sub's) ...maybe I can talk to a guy and see if he would wanna line up just to see what the heck would happen. I'll try to get video..either way it ends up.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:12 PM

'04 E55
Sti challenge

Two weeks ago, as I was driving back home after dinner with my girlfriend I noticed an Sti passing me from the middle lane in 3 lane street with traffic lights. A few minutes later I see the Sti stopped at a red light and beside him in the middle lane a lexus is300 so I stopped in the left lane and thinking the Sti would go for it I put my car in sport2 mode. After warning my girlfriend to prepare for a fast take off light turns green and I floor it. I looked in my rear mirror and found out that none of them pressed it so as I slow down another light turned red down the street. I was certain this time it was on and I was not mistaken. A minute after lexus stopped beside me in the middle lane and the sti in the right, light turns green and right away I floored it but this time with more wheel spin so the Sti jumps a bit in front from 0-30 but as I got better traction I pulled up at least 7 cars ahead of him before I pressed the brakes at 80mph (speed limit in that street is 45mph). At the next light the sti pulls next to me and I noticed two young guys in it. As we both rolled down the windows he gave me the thumbs up and told me my car is really fast and I told him his is fast as well and that I would never challenge him in bad weather :v
Old 12-20-2004, 01:05 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TCM
. I also do not want to hear about how much easier the STi respnds to mods, as the E55 is not that bad either. My M5 requires about $8-15k to get a decent power boost.
The E55 is not that bad? Bone stock, we have the W211 E55 documented running 12 flat/117mph. With $$$ mods, the quickest posted time so far is 11.8/118 mph. Regardless of aftermarket tuner claims, I'm looking for a power increase that yields more than a 1 mph real world improvement.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
maybe I can talk to a guy and see if he would wanna line up just to see what the heck would happen. I'll try to get video..either way it ends up.

Thanks for the input.
where do you live?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:40 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by Beowulf
The E55 is not that bad? Bone stock, we have the W211 E55 documented running 12 flat/117mph. With $$$ mods, the quickest posted time so far is 11.8/118 mph. Regardless of aftermarket tuner claims, I'm looking for a power increase that yields more than a 1 mph real world improvement.
HP isn't the answer. Traction is. LSD and much fatter rear tires or slicks. Rear end gear ratios may help too. You need something that will add MPH to the end of the run. Unfortunately MB aren't like chevys so different rear end ratios aren't readily available. And if they are they're gonna cost ya.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:50 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vetluver
HP isn't the answer. Traction is. LSD and much fatter rear tires or slicks. Rear end gear ratios may help too. You need something that will add MPH to the end of the run. Unfortunately MB aren't like chevys so different rear end ratios aren't readily available. And if they are they're gonna cost ya.
Traction is certainly part of the issue and that improves ET's, but it's not the whole answer. I'm looking for power that translates into real quarter-mile MPH improvements. That, not ET, is the true indicator of real world horsepower. Greater traction does not always equal more MPH in the quarter, something I've documented many times with my own cars. Same car, same day, quicker ET, lower MPH. That's not to say I'm not concerned with traction. I'm very much interested in the available LSD options, whether the AMG unit from Harris or the Kleemann unit that DerekFSU and others are using.

FWIW, I don't mind paying $$$ for mods as long as they yield results in line with my expectations. Even though the W211 E55 has been out for a few years, I think we're just beginning to identify mods that tap its real potential. We're just finding out that we may need more than just a pulley and ECU upgrade to achieve substantive power increases. That's why I'm interested in the latest developments from Evosport and others that explore new ways to extract consistent power and efficiency from the M113 engine.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I don't see how anyone can compare a $30,000 rally car with a $90,000.00 luxury sedan!! They are two very different cars. I've owned my Evo for a year now- I love it, but am tired of the bone jarring ride, the constant noise the turbo-4 makes, and the overall lack of drivability. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, so no complaints. Time to sell the Evo for an MB V8 product- oh how I miss the V8 torque!! I could care less how many of these cheap little rally cars can beat my CLK43K- by the end of the day, I'm driving an MB and you're still in a cheap little japanese rally car, suffering from kidney failure wishing you were in my passenger seat for the 1 hour drive home from the race track.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Bottom line, the E55 is like heroin....once it gets in your veins, you start to think about it at work, in the morning...at night.

Cory, with all due respect as you are a senior member....roll up your sleeves, wrap the horsepower belt around your arm and come to the dark side my friend.

Gosh, I still have the rubber smell in my nostrils from when I got massive tire spin this AM.

GOSH I LOVE THIS CAR...AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT OR HAMMERS ME FOR IT!!!!!

God bless and have a wonderful Christmas...if I am still allowed to say that in America.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 12-21-2004 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
heh... you got that right.... only 4 more lease payments on my C32.... I've got E55 on the brain!!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Bottom line, the E55 is like heroin....once it gets in your veins, you start to think about it at work, in the morning...at night.