Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Negative review of e55.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49260

I dont know what did he expected, but E55 is no Porsche... If you want a sports car get yourself a porsche.... I enjoy every second of my car!

"accelleration on the highway- decent". <- I wish every car had that decent acceleration haha that comment cracked me up.

Last edited by BoBcanada; 12-20-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E55 AMG
"the engine is truck-like, is geared very low and very unresponsive."

??? Well, the only truck I've ever driven which came remotely close to the E55 was a supercharged Lightning.

The L was fast, but it was the kind of fast that builds up slow at first, then just starts to scream; it definitely didn't have the feeling of silk-clad sledgehammer brutality like the E55 does, in that you nail the gas from any speed and you can feel your molecules being siphoned through the perforations in the ventilated leather seats.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Yeah I read that this afternoon and also got a kick out of his "decent acceleration" comment. I think a Yugo would have gotten more praise.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:38 PM

99 C280 sport
my money's on hes never driven the car
Old 12-20-2004, 09:53 PM

1995 Ferrari Spider, Porsche 911 Turbo,01 Hayabusa, 01- E55
I thought that post was a very honest interpretation. I just sold my 210 E55 and I wish the 211 was the next obviously logical choice. But it just isnt! The lackluster steering and brake feel and the cadillac like handling feel above 100mph just ruins the whole experience for me. In that respect, the M5 (old or new) is clearly superior car. However BMW styling leaves me cold on the inside and outside. And Benz's have just a bit more of a luxurious feel and exudes more class and panache for me.
So that left me with only one other choice. The Cayenne turbo. If it wasnt so high off the ground, so damn heavy, and awd, it would be mine. Especially considering its faster than ANY bmw, benz, or audi. It could use a little more power but as a driving tool, it is simply amazing onroad, and not that i care, offroad as well.
Handling and feel are soo important to me that the new AMG series of cars just disappoints too much.. Its almost enough to ruin the whole car.
All things considered, since i wanted a big, powerful, fun and luxurious daily driver, the 211 just slightly beats out the porsche due to its greater power and its' 2wd's ability to have fun with the tail out.
And whoever thinks the 211's steering, handling, and brake feel are great, you have no idea how further much advanced bmw and porsche are.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Autostream
I thought that post was a very honest interpretation. I just sold my 210 E55 and I wish the 211 was the next obviously logical choice. But it just isnt! The lackluster steering and brake feel and the cadillac like handling feel above 100mph just ruins the whole experience for me. In that respect, the M5 (old or new) is clearly superior car. However BMW styling leaves me cold on the inside and outside. And Benz's have just a bit more of a luxurious feel and exudes more class and panache for me.
So that left me with only one other choice. The Cayenne turbo. If it wasnt so high off the ground, so damn heavy, and awd, it would be mine. Especially considering its faster than ANY bmw, benz, or audi. It could use a little more power but as a driving tool, it is simply amazing onroad, and not that i care, offroad as well.
Handling and feel are soo important to me that the new AMG series of cars just disappoints too much.. Its almost enough to ruin the whole car.
All things considered, since i wanted a big, powerful, fun and luxurious daily driver, the 211 just slightly beats out the porsche due to its greater power and its' 2wd's ability to have fun with the tail out.
And whoever thinks the 211's steering, handling, and brake feel are great, you have no idea how further much advanced bmw and porsche are.
I think E55 has a good steering, great brakes, and it drives perfect for daily use, noone says that its a sports car, or it can outrun Porshe on the track, It's just a fast luxirous sporty car with 4 doors, I like it, and if i want a sports car i'd buy myself Viper, z06 or carerra S !!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
I disagree completely with this man. This car was built for the Autobahn, so why would they make the steering above 100 feel unresponsive? Also ive driven our E320 to speeds of just about 120,125 and our C-Class to 130, and trust me it does feel very planted. I could effortlessly make lane changes. Also It cant handle twisties? Well it may be no BMW but i can tell you what. Our E-Classes can dance. Thats where i got my screenname from. Hes trying to compare the M5 which is truely the ultimate drivers car versus the E55 which is the statesmans car. The Executive car, the car you drive when you need to get the work fast, while the M5 is the car you drive when you need to carve some canyons.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
I disagree completely with this man. This car was built for the Autobahn, so why would they make the steering above 100 feel unresponsive? Also ive driven our E320 to speeds of just about 120,125 and our C-Class to 130, and trust me it does feel very planted. I could effortlessly make lane changes. Also It cant handle twisties? Well it may be no BMW but i can tell you what. Our E-Classes can dance. Thats where i got my screenname from. Hes trying to compare the M5 which is truely the ultimate drivers car versus the E55 which is the statesmans car. The Executive car, the car you drive when you need to get the work fast, while the M5 is the car you drive when you need to carve some canyons.
I agree, forgot to add, I drove my moms 220CDI 200km/h and it felt very stable! Didnt went above 160 in my E55 yet tho, But i'll bet it will be even better!
Old 12-20-2004, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by BoBcanada
I think E55 has a good steering, great brakes, and it drives perfect for daily use, noone says that its a sports car, or it can outrun Porshe on the track, It's just a fast luxirous sporty car with 4 doors, I like it, and if i want a sports car i'd buy myself Viper, z06 or carerra S !!!!
I dunno about it being a sporty car, but I do agree that it is elegant and fast for it's size. Just matter of personal opinion & different taste. That's what makes everyone else an INDIVIDUAL
Old 12-21-2004, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by Autostream
I thought that post was a very honest interpretation. I just sold my 210 E55 and I wish the 211 was the next obviously logical choice. But it just isnt! The lackluster steering and brake feel and the cadillac like handling feel above 100mph just ruins the whole experience for me.
[/b]

I also had a W210 E55 prior to my W211, and felt that while the brakes feel softer, and the additional weight is noticeable - I hardly feel it's lackluster. I've done a number of threshold braking procedures with my W211 and really like how solid it feels. I just had it over 100 about 15 minutes ago on my way back from dinner and don't know what "handling feel above 100" you are criticizing. It is a superb 100mph cruiser.

In that respect, the M5 (old or new) is clearly superior car.

Clearly, it isn't. The E55 is faster, looks better, has much more potential horsepowerwise, is much more comfortable on a daily basis, doesn't have a rough notchy transmission, and it's interior is leaps and bounds above the E39 or E60 5-series. Quite a step away from clearly. I've driven the E39 M5 numerous times. It's a great car for someone who wants a sports car day in and day out... but definitely loses out to the E55 in terms of staying true to be a luxury performance sedan.

However BMW styling leaves me cold on the inside and outside. And Benz's have just a bit more of a luxurious feel and exudes more class and panache for me.

Agreed.

So that left me with only one other choice. The Cayenne turbo. If it wasnt so high off the ground, so damn heavy, and awd, it would be mine. Especially considering its faster than ANY bmw, benz, or audi.

Where the hell did you get it's faster than ANY BMW, BENZ, or AUDI? Are you high? Any AMG or ///M BMW will lay waste to the Cayenne Turbo.

It could use a little more power but as a driving tool, it is simply amazing onroad, and not that i care, offroad as well.

I disagree. The Cayenne is an impressive SUV, but doesn't compare to any of the German luxury performance sedans, I'm sorry to say.

If you want handling and feel, instead of comfort and power, the M5 is the car for you. What "ruins" the car for you, makes it precisely the car for me.

[b]All things considered, since i wanted a big, powerful, fun and luxurious daily driver, the 211 just slightly beats out the porsche due to its greater power and its' 2wd's ability to have fun with the tail out.
I just sold my '04 M3, along with seat time behind other E36s, E46s, E39s, etc etc and have driven numerous 993/996/etc Porsches. They are sports cars, not luxury performance sedans. They serve their purpose, the E55 serves it's purpose. The E55 isn't a track car, it doesn't claim to be. It's a highspeed autobahn cruiser and I think it accomplishes that end with a great amount of success.

My Supra had about as much horsepower as your E55, Hayabusa, and Ferrari combined - that was it's purpose. An insane race-ready street car to fill my needs for a raw sports car. On my off nights, I wanted a comfortable autobahn-built luxury sedan with enough hp to blow the doors off just about every production car this side of $100k. The E55 delivers in this arena and so much more.

-m
Old 12-21-2004, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
What's funny is he claims that the tranny was shifting while turning. Which it won't, AMGs have gyrometers that will hold a gear while turning. Maybe he test drove an E320 with a sport package.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by norb
What's funny is he claims that the tranny was shifting while turning. Which it won't, AMGs have gyrometers that will hold a gear while turning. Maybe he test drove an E320 with a sport package.
Maybe he was going 30km/h in a turn and it shifted lol

Last edited by BoBcanada; 12-21-2004 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Cool Choices

At the end of the day, there is no other fun high performance sedan better than the E55 in the market at the moment, whatelse it out there, the XJR, the 545i, please!
Old 12-21-2004, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Just another A-hole who dreams of owning an AMG vehicle but because he cant, he resorts to bashing it. Nerd.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Almost a Member!

01 E55 AMG
Autostream - How did you get 450hp (01 AMG E55 (370.7rwhp 383.9ft-lbs) out of your w210? That's 95hp more than stock. I looked at the weblink and I see the DASTEK ECU box. Is this the only engine mod? I watched the 1/4 run video and the exhaust definitely doesn't sound like stock.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Corvette, 04 BMW M3 (Wife's car), 04 Mercedes E55.
For people that claim they are the only ones that know soooo much about cars, they sure miss the reason a lot of people drive the E55.. it is a HIGH PERFORMANCE LUXURY CAR. what part of that dont they understand? Of course they dont like the soft suspension or the unresponsive steering... but let them travel 1,000 mile down the interstate in one and they might realize what market this car is DESIGNED for. Do you think the guys over on the Lincoln Navigator website are complaining about the ground clearance on the E55? LOL
Old 12-21-2004, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Well said, Marcus. I'm with you.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:34 PM

///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
Just another A-hole who dreams of owning an AMG vehicle but because he cant, he resorts to bashing it. Nerd.
Yay Yay!
Old 12-21-2004, 10:20 PM
Banned

damn sillyent, im sick of asking of more pics of your phuching fat *** car!!! and a cayenne being faster???
Old 12-22-2004, 08:47 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
since i am the guy that wrote the "negative" review- after i read some of the formidable statements written here i felt the need to put down a few random thoughts. and since the comprehension level of certain members here seem to leave a bit to be desired, i will be brief and try not to get into a pissing contest.

1. the car is nice. never stated any different. it just will not appeal to somebody who likes the m5. the e55 is luxury sport, the m5 is sport luxury and it shows.

2. the car cant handle worth ****. now- that is not bashing. more like observation. dont know how many of you have had the chance to burn a brand new set of rears in few hours, but i did and my autox skills tell me the car is a pig with an evil piggish attitude anywhere away from the highway. judging by some of the posts and what is deemed important to be in your signatures- few of you know the car from that prospective. i know that it is not supposed to be driven that way- but that does not change my statement.

3. the car's accelleration might be stellar in your books, but marcus (for example) can tell you that it is far from what people with tuned cars are used to. speaking of supras- i bought my 94 back in 94 brand new and later i was prolly one of the first people ever, anywhere to have a single t88h conversion. and no, a 900hp supra is not a sports car. take it to the autox and you will find out quickly why it is not. it is a tool to chase busas, but that is another story...

4. dont know what g-sensors the car has, but the one i drove upshifted on me in the middle of power slides at 4000-5000 rpms or so. wrong or not- just stating the facts.

5. dont know why, but the one i drove wandered over 100ish or so. i've driven an sl55 and the older e55 and they were rock solid at any speeds...

6. the car suspension is geared towards comfort, but in the "oh ****" mode it becomes extremely, unnecessary hard. it seemed that their major concern was to keep the car level instead of trying to maximize traction (and no- those are not the same thing). speaking of traction- the kid with the 20s - you my friend are a poser that have never turned off traction on that puppy when the steering was not straight (and you still have the car in one piece which i assume you do). just because i think that on that chassis even 19" are too much with the stock setup suspension (hence the trampling, shuddering and vibrations) and on 20s this car is simply a pig on ice.

some of you failed to undesrtand that i did not bash the car. i praised it for looks, interior, sound and highway manners. i bashed it on feel, balance and technical driving which were not meant to be stellar anyway and few drivers would explore. is there anything wrong with the above statements?

alex
few cars

Last edited by alx; 12-22-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:04 AM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
Originally Posted by alx
since i am the guy that wrote the "negative" review- after i read some of the formidable statements written here i felt the need to put down a few random thoughts. and since the comprehension level of certain members here seem to leave a bit to be desired, i will be brief and try not to get into a pissing contest.

1. the car is nice. never stated any different. it just will not appeal to somebody who likes the m5. the e55 is luxury sport, the m5 is sport luxury and it shows.

2. the car cant handle worth ****. now- that is not bashing. more like observation. dont know how many of you have had the chance to burn a brand new set of rears in few hours, but i did and my autox skills tell me the car is a pig with an evil piggish attitude anywhere away from the highway. judging by some of the posts and what is deemed important to be in your signatures- few of you know the car from that prospective. i know that it is not supposed to be driven that way- but that does not change my statement.

3. the car's accelleration might be stellar in your books, but marcus (for example) can tell you that it is far from what people with tuned cars are used to. speaking of supras- i bought my 94 back in 94 brand new and later i was prolly one of the first people ever, anywhere to have a single t88h conversion. and no, a 900hp supra is not a sports car. take it to the autox and you will find out quickly why it is not. it is a tool to chase busas, but that is another story...

4. dont know what g-sensors the car has, but the one i drove upshifted on me in the middle of power slides at 4000-5000 rpms or so. wrong or not- just stating the facts.

5. dont know why, but the one i drove wandered over 100ish or so. i've driven an sl55 and the older e55 and they were rock solid at any speeds...

6. the car suspension is geared towards comfort, but in the "oh ****" mode it becomes extremely, unnecessary hard. it seemed that their major concern was to keep the car level instead of trying to maximize traction (and no- those are not the same thing). speaking of traction- the kid with the 20s - you my friend are a poser that have never turned off traction on that puppy (if you still have it in one piece which i assume you do). just because i think that on that chassis even 19" are too much with the stock setup suspension (hence the trampling, shuddering and vibrations) and on 20s this car is simply a pig on ice.

some of you failed to undesrtand that i did not bash the car. i praised it for looks, interior, sound and highway manners. i bashed it on feel, balance and technical driving which were not meant to be stellar anyway and few drivers would explore. is there anything wrong with the above statements?

alex
few cars
Nothing wrong with your statements, just your attitude.

PS hope to see you on the autox course, I'm in PA and race in KoP often (I'll be in my Z4)
Old 12-22-2004, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
I think you need to test drive another sample as it seems like there is something seriously wrong with the E55 you drove.

The E55 is dead solid at high speed. The bad handling and high speed instability seem to indicate incorrect tire pressure or alignment issues.

When you ask whether there is something wrong with your review, yes, in addition to the poor attitude, I just find it irelevant and poorly written. Your praises were vague and insincere and criticism pointless and inconsistent.

Whther you call it bashing or not I don't really care, if you ask me, I don't even believe a test drive ever took place, but then, that's my opinion!
Old 12-22-2004, 02:29 PM

e55211 traded in for CLS55
Originally Posted by W210
I think you need to test drive another sample as it seems like there is something seriously wrong with the E55 you drove.

The E55 is dead solid at high speed. The bad handling and high speed instability seem to indicate incorrect tire pressure or alignment issues.

When you ask whether there is something wrong with your review, yes, in addition to the poor attitude, I just find it irelevant and poorly written. Your praises were vague and insincere and criticism pointless and inconsistent.

Whther you call it bashing or not I don't really care, if you ask me, I don't even believe a test drive ever took place, but then, that's my opinion!
Amen!
Old 12-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Corvette, 04 BMW M3 (Wife's car), 04 Mercedes E55.
You dont believe that "someone" let him test drive their brand new E55 for a few hours and bash it around as he described?.. what is so hard to believe about that?.. LMAO
Old 12-22-2004, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Oh come one guys, you can really beat the heck out of a car on a PlayStation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Negative review of e55.