Sponsored by:

E55 vs IS300 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoores
I don't think I will push the E55 too much further I want to maintain the little driveablity that is left once the renntech is on lol so i have been looking at other options like this:

996 Turbo 240K invested
thats a mad looking car

You could also opt for a twin turbocharged Ferrari 360
Old 01-08-2005, 10:00 AM

03 E55 k2; Ford GT
Originally Posted by Sunny55
That IS300 turbo is sick, serious fu@#ing power! Wonder if it is a XS-engineering turbo package, i know they do some serious (well over 600 rwhp) tuning for the IS. Anyway, maybe you should look into a set of kleemann headers in addition to your ecu/pulley and cat-back exhaust, or evosport, but with the kleemann headers, the cats must be removed, therefore more power. I think the end result between your e55 and the IS will be not be any different with just the ecu/pulley and cat-back. You will definitley come closer, but from your video, it seems like the IS just pulls and pulls, very amazing for that car though, just too much power in a lighter car. It might be a closer race on the highway once you have ecu/pulley, headers, exhaust, and maybe a few cooling upgrades.

What do the rest of the forum members think?
I have all the mods (except the cams; soon) and am pretty sure that I could not keep up with these guys. Nitro would be necessary. I have not run my E55 with the additional mods yet but I think 11.5 is within reach.
With the Kleemann headers I only removed one set of cats but was able to min. back pressure. I also have exhaust cutout that bypass the mufflers with a touch of a switch.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
saber,

Again, let's compare apples to apples here. We have cars running very high octane levels in order to achieve this kind of power whilst the 55 cars are tuned for 91/93 octane. Stick OEM tires on both, and limit octane to 93 or below, and you better believe you would be very close. That Supra would not be running 130mph trap speeds on 93 octane. It would still probably MPH better than you, but the ET would be damn close. I still think that is very impressive.

-m
Old 01-09-2005, 08:44 PM

A Car
wow, that was a great run with those cars.......wish my IS was that fast, but hopefully soon
Old 01-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Almost a Member!

02 E55
I can't see the vid... URL not found?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
When it comes to the 2JZ engine... I've seen and done it all. For years I ate, slept, and breathed the 2JZ. Automatic, 6-speed, twin turbos, single turbos, lexus, toyota, you name it.

I see nothing strange here. You have two extremely modified 2JZ powered cars running against a bone stock E55. I've seen 100% street driven Civics that are just as fast as the IS and Supra in the video... big deal. Both those cars require race gas to get those figures, sticky tires, and are nowhere near as reliable/dependable as the E55. Stick 91 octane in both of those cars and I GUARANTEE you will see very different results.

Wait until we have some cooling upgrades out, fill them both up with 93 octane and run them from a dead dig with non-drag radial street tires... you'll be pleasantly surprised.

-m
Well what did you expect from motor nearly twice the size AND is supercharged ....so what happens when you add c16 and level the playing field ....Even you know your benz wont pull like your 800rwhp supra did, traction is nothing some dr's cant fix. I would hope a car weighing over 4,000lbs would get traction
Old 02-08-2005, 12:04 AM

saber,

Again, let's compare apples to apples here. We have cars running very high octane levels in order to achieve this kind of power whilst the 55 cars are tuned for 91/93 octane. Stick OEM tires on both, and limit octane to 93 or below, and you better believe you would be very close. That Supra would not be running 130mph trap speeds on 93 octane. It would still probably MPH better than you, but the ET would be damn close. I still think that is very impressive.

-m
Ever heard of run what you brung??

Go put on a sick top mount intercooler and unleash the beast already
Old 02-08-2005, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by is300lex
Well what did you expect from motor nearly twice the size AND is supercharged ....so what happens when you add c16 and level the playing field ....Even you know your benz wont pull like your 800rwhp supra did, traction is nothing some dr's cant fix. I would hope a car weighing over 4,000lbs would get traction
Oh brother... I should have figured this is going to happen...

Don't start complaining about engine size... the lack thereof for the Japanese cars is their choice... I used to buy into the "Technology is the replacement for displacement" but technology cannot replacement for displacement AND technology.

By adding C16 you immediately change the playing field, you don't level it. My car is a factory car, that still runs the way an OEM car does... my Supra, the IS in the video, etc simply do not. There's a huge difference. Bottom line is I can drive from New York to LA and beat on the car all I want and fill up at any gas station... and that's the way I like it.

-m
Old 02-08-2005, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Ever heard of run what you brung??

Go put on a sick top mount intercooler and unleash the beast already
Uh, I wasn't questioning run what you brung. I was stating that even in "run what you brung situations" - I'm stating I'm not impressed anyone these days by what people can do with super high octane fuels and for a limited amount of time, nor is it realistic to automatically infer the E55 is somehow now as good of a car as the IS in the video simply because it lost a race from a roll on to it given the extent of it's modifications and the limited drivability it has due to it's reliance on very high octane fuel and mostly aftermarket components whereas the E55 in the video looked to be almost 100% stock.

Like I said, I've been there with high hp turbocharged cars and I raelly enjoyed them. However the truth is they simply don't compare to the versatility of a high horsepower OEM car like the E55...

-m
Old 02-08-2005, 12:48 PM

E55 is very respectable car for what it does, at the same time it costs more then twice what most new performance luxury cars cost...As for pump gas, I would love to run a E55 vs me on pump it would be a good run with the edge going to me...I have driven my car to georgia and back and its my daily driver, nothin to crazy but turn key and goes...I have much more fun driving a turbo car then a SC'ed car and many will agree from a fun factor and the increased potential.

I have seen your car on t04r.com, very nice taste.

Last edited by is300lex; 02-08-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:19 PM

2005 E55 AMG
E55 is very respectable car for what it does, at the same time it costs more then twice what most new performance luxury cars cost
Name another performance luxury car with the same amount of performance AND luxury as the E55 for less money.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
^^Beats me...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Name another performance luxury car with the same amount of performance AND luxury as the E55 for less money.
I have no idea what he (ISguy) is trying to compare the E55 to...there is performance sedan (G35/300C Hemi/5 series sport edition (?)/etc...) and there is hyper performance sedan (E55/RS6/M5).

The RS6 and the new M5 are still more expensive than the E55...the others mentioned aren't even in the same league...IMO
Old 02-08-2005, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGfan
The RS6 and the new M5 are still more expensive than the E55...the others mentioned aren't even in the same league...IMO
You're absolutely correct. The luxury factor of the RS6 is that of any A4 or 330i etc. and the M5 is more of a race car than it will ever be one of luxury.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
E55 is very respectable car for what it does, at the same time it costs more then twice what most new performance luxury cars cost...As for pump gas, I would love to run a E55 vs me on pump it would be a good run with the edge going to me...I have driven my car to georgia and back and its my daily driver, nothin to crazy but turn key and goes...I have much more fun driving a turbo car then a SC'ed car and many will agree from a fun factor and the increased potential.

I have seen your car on t04r.com, very nice taste.
I appreciate the positive comments about my car, but we aren't seeing eye to eye. The Supra I had, which was faster than your IS on race gas and pump gas, does not even compare to the drivability I have in the E55. Been there, done that. My car is a factory equipped car with a 50k mile warranty that runs low 12s all day out of the box... yours is not. On top of that your bias towards turbo cars I think simply comes from inexperience of driving properly setup forced induction larger engines... the power band of my Supra was too peaky and didn't give enough low end response... from 2000rpm in second gear I can mash the throttle in the E55 and I'm gone, with the Supra I'd be waiting 1500+rpm before anything interesting happened.

Bottom line is I've built and owned both (well, the E55 is going under the knife soon enough). Soon enough at stock boost you are going to see the E55 make close to 600hp on 93 octane without breaking a sweat. This is from a 4000lb midsize (not an entry level) luxury sedan. I should also mention the amenties the E55 offers over the IS aren't even worth mentioning. I'm not bashing Supras, lord knows I was at one time a huge part of the community, but I also have opened my eyes to what else is out there and no way does a large single turbo 2JZ compare to the M113K in the V8 Kompressor cars in terms of the overall package - performance, drivability, etc. Not a chance. Once we get the cooling sorted out on this engine we'll easily be approaching 500rwhp and it'll be in a configuration that is more reliable than a stock configuration.

-m
Old 02-09-2005, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
From my understanding, the AMG 5.5 V8 in the E55 is really underachieving...isn't the engine capable of close to 700 ft/lb of torque...(maybe the more mechanically inclined can correct me) and the limiting factor is the transmission and the engine cooling of the s/c...my point is that at stock form the E55 is a great package (luxury and performance), but in modded form (engine management, cooling, suspension upgrades, etc...) we expect greater performance that is not only significantly improved but just as reliable as stock...

Depending on what Mercedes/AMG does with the next generation AMG E, upgrading the E55 with aftermarket setups maybe less expensive and be a better performer (straight line acceleration and handling).
Old 02-09-2005, 03:35 AM

I appreciate the positive comments about my car, but we aren't seeing eye to eye. The Supra I had, which was faster than your IS on race gas and pump gas, does not even compare to the drivability I have in the E55. Been there, done that. My car is a factory equipped car with a 50k mile warranty that runs low 12s all day out of the box... yours is not. On top of that your bias towards turbo cars I think simply comes from inexperience of driving properly setup forced induction larger engines... the power band of my Supra was too peaky and didn't give enough low end response... from 2000rpm in second gear I can mash the throttle in the E55 and I'm gone, with the Supra I'd be waiting 1500+rpm before anything interesting happened.

Bottom line is I've built and owned both (well, the E55 is going under the knife soon enough). Soon enough at stock boost you are going to see the E55 make close to 600hp on 93 octane without breaking a sweat. This is from a 4000lb midsize (not an entry level) luxury sedan. I should also mention the amenties the E55 offers over the IS aren't even worth mentioning. I'm not bashing Supras, lord knows I was at one time a huge part of the community, but I also have opened my eyes to what else is out there and no way does a large single turbo 2JZ compare to the M113K in the V8 Kompressor cars in terms of the overall package - performance, drivability, etc. Not a chance. Once we get the cooling sorted out on this engine we'll easily be approaching 500rwhp and it'll be in a configuration that is more reliable than a stock configuration.

-m
Amenities are not my concern, platform and quality of build IS. As for your supra being faster then my IS, not by much ...I chose the IS knowing I could build it to destroy 99% of the cars on the road and do it with a sporty luxury sedan that cost much less than anything from the factory. I must say the E55 is an absolute beast and can only imagine how long it will take for some modded ones to really break some ground. I won't get beat by one from a roll on pump gas and street tires, and with a very near future of dr's wont be beat from a stop either...Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I believe the SLR shows some of the potential of the M113k,however why would a built turbocharged Supra neccessarily need race fuel to beat a stck E55k if it's tuned properly for pump gas? Or am I missing something?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
I don't see what your getting at with what octane hes running.Who cares and You don't need race gas to make his power with a right tuned car.Hes using a tec3 wich cost like 3k for crying out laud.

I don't see your super technoligical e55 making 250 hp/l like this kids is300.

Heres a 726hp STREET legal 93 octane stock ecu tuned mcoupe from aa.specs here

Wut turbo did you have in your supra and what were you using for managment?

The new gtr series garrett turbos are nasty and make full boost by 3k
Old 02-09-2005, 03:41 PM

2004 E55
I'm enjoying the bantering on this,

Just for grins here is a list of upgrades for our E-55's and the result

EVO or Kleemann Stage 3 (must have headers and upgraded exhaust)
Upgraded Cooling (when it gets here & is a MUST to have))
3.06 LSD rear end
255/35/19 Fr & 295/30/19 Rr on 19x8.5 & 19x10 (Lightweight Rims!)

This should result in a mid 11 sec. 1/4 mi @ 125-127mph

and for the $ of 14-16k in upgrades-Still not beating a Supra blown to the hilt
but will walk away from everything else but SLR/Enzo/ZO6/Ford GT
at a fraction of the price(except ZO6)
Old 02-09-2005, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by Kens-E55

3.06 LSD rear end

You forgot to mention a built EVO or DSM as well in your "beat everything else but" cars!

http://www.dsmtimes.org/evo.htm
http://www.dsmtimes.org/fastest.htm
http://www.dsmtimes.org/awd.htm awd
http://www.dsmtimes.org/fwd.htm fwd

Last edited by ProjectC55; 02-09-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
And then I'll get on my sport bike....

There is always a better, bigger, faster, cooler car out there, but do any of them none of them is the perfect balance such as the E55. There is no other competition.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Kens-E55

3.06 LSD rear end

Walk away with an empty wallet more like it lol.

45k for an m3 and 25k for the evo sport supercharger kit(600hp) and Still 30k less than your done up e55.

This car will keep up with you and put you to shame in the twisties
Old 02-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
But can it hold 4 people and get number 1 spot to any hotel you go to?
Can it take out three additional clients to cop you that extra sale.
Can you take it to 150mph and back down without any cops blinking an eye at your 'sedan'?

Plus, we like reliable cars, not ticking time bombs that ride on rocks.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
But can it hold 4 people and get number 1 spot to any hotel you go to?
Can it take out three additional clients to cop you that extra sale.
Can you take it to 150mph and back down without any cops blinking an eye at your 'sedan'?

Plus, we like reliable cars, not ticking time bombs that ride on rocks.
It can hold 5 people,Get you new and younger clients(more Chicks)But that is depending on your age where the m3 is not for the old folks and most defenetly take you to 180 and back down again and have the cops lost in your rear view because you just blew the doors off them(joking)

Here we go again about bmw not being reliable because of a stupid wrong sized crank bearing.Find me one e46 with all the new updates thats blown up.

mpilot from m3forums is running his NA m3 to 8600 rpms and it hasnt blown up yet.Even dinan ups the rev limiter to 8400 with there chip.

Besides the evo sport kit does a full engine rebuild.Pistons,crank,rods,bearings,cams ect.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 vs IS300 Turbo