Sponsored by:

SLR Riddle...Who Can Solve It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLR Riddle...Who Can Solve It?

Lately I've been hearing roumers that two different SLRs exist. One is fitted with a McLaren engine, the oh-so-famous one we all know of. But I hear there is also one that is simply made by Mercedes-Benz. Now, the second I heard this I laughed...until now. Now I know there are numerous body kits for the SL series vehicles to make them look like the SLR, but this clearly isn't one of these cases. The black SLR is equipped with the normal McLaren engine, yet the silver one isn't. What it is equipped with, I have no idea. Anybody have some insight? (I HIGHLY doubt the image of the silver SLR is photoshopped. Jon200-It's your signature...do you know what it is?)

Here is a link to the Black SLR:
http://www.gdtm.ru/MBimages/SLR8.htm

Here is a link to the Silver SLR:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...430/SLRsig.jpg
Old 01-07-2005, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
the silver was the "concept" so it was just a rendering of what it could look like really.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:40 AM

Maybe the silver one was a pre-construction model?
Aero-dynamics tester?
Sure is a completely different engine.

You got my attention.
Maybe someone can help out?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by FIXEDupW209
the silver was the "concept" so it was just a rendering of what it could look like really.
yeah that would be my guess. when i went to some amg party a while ago and they unveiled the new slk55 before it went into production, it didnt even have an engine in it. everything else worked, except they had to roll it around.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:46 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
There was an original SLR called the "Vision SLR" it had a Mercedes V8 in it and it was a concept car. Mercedes gave this concept/design to McLaren and it simply wasn't going to be any different to the SL-class now, so McLaren had to make a lot of changes.

The engine had to be mounted behind the front axle for weight distribution, leading to a long bonnet. The underside had to be flat and the rear at the back had to have a 6 channel diffusor for negative lift (downforce). This had to make the exhausts be repositioned, so McLaren asked AMG to develop a completely new side-exhaust system and crank output to 600bhp+. The original Vision concept SLR had a drag coefficient of 0.29, very slippery, the design had to be changed to incorporate the rear spoiler and with all additional wind-tunnel changes to improve aerodynamics and downforce makes it look like it does now.

Thats briefly, the change from concept to production car....
Old 01-07-2005, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome! That explains it all. Thanks Bilal!
Old 01-07-2005, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
There is also an SLR that was made by a man in sweden i think? he made it all from a 1:12 model.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:11 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
No no no, that SLR, which ahs cropped up on forums worldwide about a 100 times each was a man who converted an old Benz (forgot which one) into an SLR, very good, but his was on the Vision SLR and not the production model. It had a 400CDI engine, 260hp, that baby must get good mileage!