A few laps at Laguna Seca in the E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe
A few laps at Laguna Seca in the E63

Hey guys, here's my video from the AMG Academy this past November. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsuQTJBtwZo

I got assigned to the E63 video car. I was hoping for the CLK63 Black Series, but the video cars were pre-assigned. Either way, an instructor said that people are usually more comfortable and faster in the E63 since it feels more like a regular car.

I saw someone else on YouTube post a similar video in a C63 and he said his top speed was 95. I hit 107 somewhere in mine. I could have maybe gone a little faster if it wasn't for the slow CLK63 that came in front of me on the 2nd lap. They were all over the place in turn 2 haha.

Last edited by midget fidger; 01-20-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Oh, and we also did some drag races with the E63 against the SL63. E63 had a slight acceleration edge over the SL63 in case you wanna challenge anyone
Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 PM

That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8jrnVayTc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqATZpC5zRY

Parts 1 and 2 above.

My fastest the whole weekend was 117. Tommy Kendall was doing 125.

What I did not like about the E63 was that the Pre-Safe seemed more intrusive than I have found in my W211 E63.

Everything else except the styling I like better.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 AM

2010 E63 AMG W212
What gear where they using for telemetary

Do you know what kit they where using?
Thanks
R
Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by RG_E63
Do you know what kit they where using?
Thanks
R
Here's a picture of the equipment. I think the black box says "RACELOGIC" ?
Attached Thumbnails A few laps at Laguna Seca in the E63-cimg7834.jpg  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by midget fidger
Here's a picture of the equipment. I think the black box says "RACELOGIC" ?
That picture reminds me to comment on an odd feature of the 2010 car. It has a built in bottle holder. That strap at the top of the net loosens to hold a bottle. I guess you could put a bottle of wine there that you were bringing to a friend's house??? Otherwise, I dont get its purpose.

Back to the topic...For the fastest times, did you use manual mode while racing, or leave it in automatic mode? If you left it in automatic mode, did you still use the shift paddles?

Which ESC mode did you use?

Last edited by E63AMG; 01-26-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8jrnVayTc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqATZpC5zRY

Parts 1 and 2 above.

My fastest the whole weekend was 117. Tommy Kendall was doing 125.

What I did not like about the E63 was that the Pre-Safe seemed more intrusive than I have found in my W211 E63.

Everything else except the styling I like better.
Hey, I think it was your video on YouTube that mentioned 95mph. Was it in those two that you hit 117? Or in another car without video? Because when I was going around the track, I was hardly paying attention to the speedo I may have gone higher than 107 in a non-video car like the SLS.

Originally Posted by E63AMG
That picture reminds me to comment on an odd feature of the 2010 car. It has a built in bottle holder. That strap at the top of the net loosens to hold a bottle. I guess you could put a bottle of wine there that you were bringing to a friend's house??? Otherwise, I dont get its purpose.

Back to the topic...For the fastest times, did you use manual mode while racing, or leave it in automatic mode? If you left it in automatic mode, did you still use the shift paddles?

My '06 SLK has the same strap and I actually use it to hold the leather case containing the manuals and service stuff haha. If I were to put it in the glove box, it would take up all the space. I always thought that's what the straps were for.

I used full automatic mode, no shift paddles or anything. When I did this video, it was dry and used Sport II. On my next run in the C63, it started to get a little wet but I stayed in Sport II. When we got to the SLS, it was a full downpour...the instructor recommended Comfort so I moved to that.

I didn't really notice much Pre-Safe stuff going on, but I was keeping a pretty conservative distance from the car in front. I also didn't know about this feature until you mentioned it
Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E63AMG

First, much more detail here http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...ead.php?t=6181

Given the pace restrictions, I could have done my fastest lap in C. There was an easy 6 seconds with the pace car out of the way. Mainly I use S or S+ when available and occasionally use the paddles. My best lap was a 1:56.50. I hit 117mph on the straight once. In the video run I hit 99 once. Tommy Kendall did a 1:44 with himself and 2 others in the car (C63), ESC off, manual.

The suspension was always full stiff.

ESC in anything other than full on was an ejectionable action. Athough one a$$ did not pay attention after multiple warnings, see the picture.

The AMG engineers in for the SLS event, one I met from the SL65BS event a year before feels other than the SLS, the E63 was the fastest of the student cars. Due to the improvements in 2010, it was faster that the C63.
Attached Thumbnails A few laps at Laguna Seca in the E63-d.jpg  

Last edited by Jon2007E63P30; 01-27-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 AM

2010 E63 AMG W212
Just bought Racelogic

The bottle holder is going to now hold my racelogic... awesome piece of equipment... wish I had one 20 years ago when I used to brag about crazy street stuff I did.

This will all be reserved for the track now =)
Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
First, much more detail here http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...ead.php?t=6181

Given the pace restrictions, I could have done my fastest lap in C. There was an easy 6 seconds with the pace car out of the way. Mainly I use S or S+ when available and occasionally use the paddles. My best lap was a 1:56.50. I hit 117mph on the straight once. In the video run I hit 99 once. Tommy Kendall did a 1:44 with himself and 2 others in the car (C63), ESC off, manual.

The suspension was always full stiff.

ESC in anything other than full on was an ejectionable action. Athough one a$$ did not pay attention after multiple warnings, see the picture.

The AMG engineers in for the SLS event, one I met from the SL65BS event a year before feels other than the SLS, the E63 was the fastest of the student cars. Due to the improvements in 2010, it was faster that the C63.
Nice, I'll have to register for the AMG Forums to check that out. Yeah, the pace car and slow people in your group are a big part of the lap times. I did the Stage I stuff so we didn't get any lap times or anything. I guess I can figure it out from the video though.

Yeah, I always had the suspension full stiff.

Damn, sucks that the car got hurt. I'm definitely no pro so I left it on all the time haha. I can understand them making it mandatory.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by RG_E63
The bottle holder is going to now hold my racelogic... awesome piece of equipment... wish I had one 20 years ago when I used to brag about crazy street stuff I did.

This will all be reserved for the track now =)
How much is the racelogic box? And with video? You might even be able to justify it as a way of defending yourself against wrongful charges (speeding, running a red light, not doing a complete stop, etc).
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by midget fidger
How much is the racelogic box? And with video? You might even be able to justify it as a way of defending yourself against wrongful charges (speeding, running a red light, not doing a complete stop, etc).
The VBOXVIDEO is pricy
http://www.videovbox.co.uk/index.php/prices

The VBOX telemetry system takes 100 GPS locations per second and also has an accelerometer for slip/drift angles. "You honor, I came to a stop for 0.001 seconds"

More in the realm of everyday use is the PBOX and DriftBOX
Go under products on this page http://www.vboxusa.com/

I have the PBOX and took it in every car I rode in during the training. The software is free, so I will post some of the data from the event. Also, the VBOX data can be read by the PBOX software.