Sponsored by:

2010 E63 AMG - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
---
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
This is why you never buy the first year of a new style !!!!!!! happened to me when i bought the first year new body style 745 LI with I Drive system .

Now my 2008 E63 is bad *** i must say ! And not one problem and this car takes a beating !

Wanna buy a 08 ???

Good Luck

+1 I like to wait at least a few years before buying a new body style.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
The OP thinks that MBUSA will buy his car back because he doesn't like it?

Why anyone read any more of the post beyond that is bewildering.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:17 PM

E CLASS
BUYER'S REMORSE

GL
Old 05-07-2010, 05:00 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton

+1

I stopped reading after I saw that.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by IanSL55
Sorry but it seems you set aside your objectivity before you started writing. On most of these things you're just splitting hairs.

3. Navigation system is worthless and 5 years behind any other car

Uh... real time traffic didn't exist 5 years ago in any car... The NAV is FINE. The only issue anyone might have is that it's a touch screen. I certainly like the NAV a whole lot better than what BMW (X5) or Land Rover (Range Rover) is offering up right now (two cars I own), and it's light years ahead of what's in the W211.
I respectfully disagree here. I believe the Acura RL navigation had real time traffic for over 5 years now, and although Mercedes made major improvements to the W212 navigation over the W211, it still lacks the quality and intuitiveness of the Acura system.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 PM

---
I guess the lesson here it to test drive the car first. Not the test drive with the salesman. I'd rent it out for 3-4 days and beat the crap out of it. I don't drive like the OP said but, if I did then thats what I would have done. You just can't assume it's going to preform the way somebody would like it to based on looks and word of mouth. It's a brand new platform. AMG will make it better for the years to come. It's too bad the '10 didn't work out for him though.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
It is truly sad to see this, seriously. I too have really been back in AMG's arms only after a hied us, and had high hope for the W212. I have yet to get into one to push it to the limit, and this post will make me really analyze the car once I get the chance to. It would be very interesting to see some Go PRO footage on what's going on. I do wonder if your car has "issues" that are isolated to your car?? Who knows. Good luck, and try not to give up hope, AMG is really coming on strong, it would be a shame to hit them with this "black flag".
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Sorry to hear you are so disappointed. This doesn't seem to be the typical experience. Plenty of people have beat these cars up at the track and had good results. I know they are also being used for the AMG driving school thing this year--if they can take an all day beating at a performance driving school, I think it's performing as designed. I posted a few responses for what it's worth below:

Not sure why you feel this way, the latest MB nav systems work extremely well and the voice control is one of the best on the market.

6. iPod cord in the glove box instead of arm rest console (also iPod cord doesn't charge iPod or iPhone... lol)
This is not an MB issue. Apple changed something about the new connector on iPhone 3GS and newer iPods which changes the way in which they charge. You can purchase an updated cable from MB for about $30.

8. Park sensors are confusing, no visual aid on the Command screen
There's no visual aid on the COMAND screen because the backup camera is displayed there.

Last edited by pmb600; 05-07-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton

+2

It seems as though he bought a car expecting something more than is offered on the E63. Quite a few things on his list could have been noticed by a test drive and sit down in the car at the dealer. (Not the drifting of course)
Old 05-08-2010, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
I love how this forum is self-cleansing.

Homeboy with 6 posts comes in and tell us he will personally affect MBZ sales with his GoPro suction-cup camera because his new E63 won't drift onto on-ramps.

As mentioned, by all means please strap the camera to your car and begin affecting sales immediately.

Troll.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
I still am not warmed up to the exterior, but I like everything else except one thing.

The Pre-Safe gets in the way on the track. I have mentioned this before on the forum. The fact the OP does not mention this is suspicions. Now we were not allowed to turn off ESP in the AMG academy and maybe the behavior is different then.

I have never had this problem in my 2007.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 PM
DHI

'10 ML550, 996 G T 3
Originally Posted by racer m
So I have some credibility, let me give you some backround information about myself. I have been racing cars professionally for over 7 years, mostly GrandAm (GT and Daytona Prototypes), some FIA GT, and a few other smaller series. I have owned and driven just about every kind of fast car out there, including the Bugatti Veyron. Out of all the cars I have driven, never have I experienced something like this... ....

...as after watching numerous videos online of the car doing burnouts, and driving on the track I was very excited to purchase this car to replace my 2006 M5.

....I had a terrible experience recently when I was in the middle of a drift on an awesome freeway on-ramp, the ESP turned itself back on, caused the car to erratically change directions and make a completely unpredictable maneuver that almost caused me to have an accident.

... I guess the car got scared.

Looking for credibility? Great job!!

It appears that the factory also failed to notify you that the Attention Assist System sensors also monitor for idiots, trolls and compulsive liars, immediately putting car into "limp mode" upon detection.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:29 AM

BMW 545i, BMW X3, 2004 Mercedes Benz E55
I enjoy the passion the guy has for his E63. Never read something like that about such a great car. Even though I don't own one which I would not want to, because first the styling is boxy ugly. Nothing like the W211 style. Not just because I own a W211 E55 AMG but its just edge like someone cut a lego car with a sharp knife. And I have had the pleasure of driving an e60 M5 for so much longer then the AMG MB's and the M5 is still better it handles better, feels like your in control not the computer, and the engine revving sounds so much sweeter. Yes the new E63 is way more advance then the aging M5 but the new one is coming and watch out all. BMW fan for life. Sorry guys... I have own 2 Mercedes in my 28 years of life and to me they are lay back fast but lazy. If it makes sense...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:58 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
This guy has to be trolling.

I don't get why anyone would want to "drift/slide/stunt" their vehicles in live traffic scenarios; in this case the supposed "awesome freeway onramp."

Sounds reckless and dumb, keep that stuff on the track!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
Originally Posted by kakorat
And I have had the pleasure of driving an e60 M5 for so much longer then the AMG MB's and the M5 is still better it handles better, ...
Just wondering, was this statement a comparison between M5 & W211 or W212 or any other AMGs??
I personally haven't tried the M5 yet, but I was under the impression that the W212 handles as well as, if not better than the E60 M5.

However I do agree with you, the AMGs are fast but lazy, and thats why I love it. You don't have to do much to enjoy the car and speed. It puts a smile on my face every time I step on the pedal

Last edited by RW C55; 05-10-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Kamen
This guy has to be trolling.

I don't get why anyone would want to "drift/slide/stunt" their vehicles in live traffic scenarios; in this case the supposed "awesome freeway onramp."

Sounds reckless and dumb, keep that stuff on the track!
This.

A friend of mine after learning the hard way: "The street is meant for driving, the track is meant for racing."

Only his car was totaled, he was fine.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Hi guys,

I want to make everyone aware before they make a purchase of an E63 AMG that this car does not perform as it is advertised, and if you are looking to buy one and drive it to the limit you will be severely disappointed.

So I have some credibility, let me give you some backround information about myself. I have been racing cars professionally for over 7 years, mostly GrandAm (GT and Daytona Prototypes), some FIA GT, and a few other smaller series. I have owned and driven just about every kind of fast car out there, including the Bugatti Veyron. Out of all the cars I have driven, never have I experienced something like this...

First of all does anyone know how to put a 2010 E63 into dyno mode? I have looked online for hours, called around and got a few suggestions that have all failed. After completing the break-in period on my car, and now trying to push it to its capabilities I have realized that ESP OFF is hardly a "traction control off" button. This is extremely disappointing to me, as after watching numerous videos online of the car doing burnouts, and driving on the track I was very excited to purchase this car to replace my 2006 M5. Since then I have found out that only the European models allow the traction control to be completely shut off because apparently MBZ USA doesn't think that anyone who buys their cars in the US is capable of pushing them to the limit without crashing them. I had a terrible experience recently when I was in the middle of a drift on an awesome freeway on-ramp, the ESP turned itself back on, caused the car to erratically change directions and make a completely unpredictable maneuver that almost caused me to have an accident. Then the car started shaking violently, and would not stop. I thought at first I might have blown the differential, or even worse the transmission but since the wheels were still turning, and the car could shift through all 7 gears it wasn't that. I noticed that engine power was way down, and any application of throttle resulted in the shaking becoming severely worse. When I pulled over, the motor died, as a manual transmission would if you forgot to depress the clutch pedal or place it in neutral. I attempted to start the car again, and it started up fine and went back to normal. This means the car went into some kind of protection/limp mode, something I have never seen an N/A motor do before. I guess the car got scared. I have also noticed that when the car does start to spin the rear wheels, especially when a tail slide is initiated the ECU implements ignition retard, cutting power to the motor even when the throttle is engaged, causing the wheel spin to stop along with the fun.

Anyway, I was curious to try the dyno mode because evidently that disables all the systems, ESP, ABS, limp mode, etc. so I can enjoy my car as much as possible before Mercedes buys it back. I am very unsatisfied with this car, and do not want to continue owning it. I have already expressed my issues with it to MBZ and am awaiting a response from them. I have never returned a car so this is a new one for me. Hopefully, they will be willing to buy it back soon, because the next step for me is to put my GOPRO cameras all over it, take it to the track and demonstrate exactly what I have described here, post it on youtube and link every car enthusiast forum on planet earth to it so everyone can see for themselves. I promise that if I take it to that level it will drastically impact the sales of this vehicle.

If you are planning to buy this car to be a burn-out machine, drifting around corners with a smile on your face sedan like I was you will not be happy. If this doesn't matter to you then here are some other things about the car that I find to be laughable on a car that costs over $100k:

1. AMG button (similar to the ///M button) cannot be programmed with ESP off
2. Foot e-brake (instead of electronic e-brake)
4. No key memory for seat position/mirrors/steering wheel
5. No power folding mirrors (are you kidding me)
6. iPod cord in the glove box instead of arm rest console (also iPod cord doesn't charge iPod or iPhone... lol)
7. Backup camera is terrible, it's like looking through a drunk fish's eye
8. Park sensors are confusing, no visual aid on the Command screen
9. Integrated garage door opener malfunctions and erases stored codes about once a month for no reason

There is more, but I personally think that with these issues it is a no brainer to stay away from this car. I hope I have helped stop many others from the dissatisfaction that I have had to endure so far. Unfortunately, after this I don't think I will ever own another Mercedes-Benz in my life.

-Matt
-Matt, with all respect your post sounds a little odd man!

1): Forget about MB buying the car back! The stuff you are complaining are not failures! It was your job to research the car and know what you are buying before you got it. Just a small research in this forum would have revealed at least 90% of everything you are describing. Furthermore, I have seen Tommy Kendall drifting these cars at the AMG challenge without any problem, I believe that the ECU (when ESP is switched OFF) intervenes only when the car is judged to be out of control most likely at an angle way more than what you need to drift.

2): I am quite surprise that as a professional race driver you have the need to do those silly stunts on the streets! Usually the pros have race cars to practice to keep their skills sharp and teach to various race schools around the country and don't really have the need to do these things on the streets.

3): In addition to the above, your concept of spending a $100k to buy a luxury sports car which is clearly NOT designed to do what you are describing (drifting and burnouts) is the problem here!!! A $10-15k used EVO, STi, S2000, 350Z, Mustang etc with some $5-10k of mods can be a great car for that stuff.

In any case, don't want to sound like an old man, here is some advice: Call KLEEMANN, BRABUS or LORINSER and have them flush your ECU to completely disable the electronic aids so that you can freely trash your car. Good luck!

http://www.kleemann.dk/Contact/DealersUSAM.aspx
Old 05-10-2010, 05:18 PM

After completing the break-in period on my car, and now trying to push it to its capabilities I have realized that ESP OFF is hardly a "traction control off" button. This is extremely disappointing to me, as after watching numerous videos online of the car doing burnouts, and driving on the track I was very excited to purchase this car to replace my 2006 M5. Since then I have found out that only the European models allow the traction control to be completely shut off because apparently MBZ USA doesn't think that anyone who buys their cars in the US is capable of pushing them to the limit without crashing them. I had a terrible experience recently when I was in the middle of a drift on an awesome freeway on-ramp, the ESP turned itself back on, caused the car to erratically change directions and make a completely unpredictable maneuver that almost caused me to have an accident.
Since I have not had my car on the track, or done the maneuver you describe, I can not comment from personal experience about this particular issue. Page 68 of the owners manual says that when you switch off the ESC, "the ETS will still apply the brakes to a spinning wheel" and "the ESC continues to operate when you are braking hard"....ie, they are saying that "off" is not "100% off."

I think its fair to say that very few buyers of this car are looking for a drifting machine. If what you are saying is true, then I suppose you are doing a service for those few that are.

More importantly, the car's objective performance numbers on tracks and skipads, as well as subjective performance evaluations by magazines, all point to a significant performance improvement over the previous car. There is near universal agreement that the car is one of the best handling sports sedans out there.

There is more, but I personally think that with these issues it is a no brainer to stay away from this car. I hope I have helped stop many others from the dissatisfaction that I have had to endure so far. Unfortunately, after this I don't think I will ever own another Mercedes-Benz in my life.
I too have my complaints about the car, and have taken the time to write them up post them here, along with the things I really like. I politely disagree with your conclusion. I think the nits that you and I have listed are dwarfed by the virtues of the car.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by DHI
Looking for credibility? Great job!!

It appears that the factory also failed to notify you that the Attention Assist System sensors also monitor for idiots, trolls and compulsive liars, immediately putting car into "limp mode" upon detection.
LMAO
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
BTW, ESP OFF on the 212's is really esp fully off, until the driver hits the brake pedal...at which point it re-engages.

this moron probably tapped the brakes mid-corner, enabled the esp system and sent him a-wiggling...

know how the system operates before you blame it.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Show of hands...how many people are surprised the OP douche-nozzle hasn't posted since post #1?

*crickets*

Stay away, troll.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:31 AM

c63
I think this is a troll and I think you are full of crap. I have been Lucky enough to drive both of these cars for extended periods of time and They are two separate cars. The V10 seems a little easier to slide around, but the amg engines in my opinion are punchier, more consistent, and have more torque. If you know what you are doing, you can easily slide the car, dyno mode is a synch, and you have a very well put together car and package. just my 2cents
Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 PM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
This is a real good one, one of the best con jobs on any forum I've seen. Amazing that he would spend 20 - 30 minutes typing this crap. WHO in their right mind would an spend $100k on an E63 thinking that it would do what he described it couldn't do. Possibly the only person in the world that wants to make a "drift" car out an E63. Next time do your homework BEFORE you buy a car, MBUSA would be fools to take this car back (if its true).
Old 05-15-2010, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
Originally Posted by Vegas_AMG
This is a real good one, one of the best con jobs on any forum I've seen. Amazing that he would spend 20 - 30 minutes typing this crap. WHO in their right mind would an spend $100k on an E63 thinking that it would do what he described it couldn't do. Possibly the only person in the world that wants to make a "drift" car out an E63. Next time do your homework BEFORE you buy a car, MBUSA would be fools to take this car back (if its true).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp71EPhFO3o

I wouldnt try this on a "awesome freeway on-ramp" though.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
Originally Posted by RW C55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp71EPhFO3o

I wouldnt try this on a "awesome freeway on-ramp" though.
Neva seen that type of commercial here in USA . Bet it would boost sales if they actually advertized it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 E63 AMG - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!