Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 E63 Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E63 Review

I took delivery this week of a 2012 E63 AMG sedan that I ordered July 20th. I ordered it with the following specs:

Black paint
Black premium leather
Burl walnut wood trim,
793 Optional 19” Wheels
PO1pkg – Premium 1 Package
P30pkg – AMG Performance Package
Rear Side Airbags
Limited Slip differential.
Panorama roof.

The final car ended up different than what I initially ordered. The dealer called a few weeks after I placed the order to say that the premium leather was somehow not available. I told him I would accept the standard leather. Its actually quite nice.

When I took delivery of the car, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the car had been also been equipped with the PO2pkg – Premium 2 Package at no charge. This means the car had KEYLESS-GO, a feature I really liked, but was not willing to pay $5000 for, plus the Adaptive Highbeams, Bi-Xenon with active curve illumination and the Electronic Trunk Closer. The sticker on the car did not list any of these items. I must have lucked into this extra package from some kind of early production car swap or something. I don’t know how I got it, but its nice to have KEYLESS-GO. The other options I would not miss.

I used a copy of the Mercedes Benz 2012 E-Class Sedan and Wagon Dealer Ordering Guide to figure out how I wanted to configure the car. Unfortunately, this guide had the wagon and sedan column headings switched. The heading “E63W” was for the sedan and “E63S” was for the wagon. Since the Panorama roof is standard on the wagon, the error in the column heading made me think the Panorama roof would be standard on the car. This mix up is not a big deal to me. I did not really care about the Panorama roof since I rarely use it on my 2010 E63. I am pretty sure the driver sunroof opening is the exact same size as the front Panorama sunroof. I had thought that the driver somehow had more open sky with the Panorama roof, but this is not the case. Only the rear passengers get more light with Panorama. I think the Panorama roof looks nicer on the outside, but it has its disadvantages too. First, it looks a bit odd when its open and stacked on top of the roof. The standard sunroof, by comparison, retracts into the roof and is not seen. Second, having glass over your head is less safe than metal in a roll over. Third, I think is more prone to creaks when the car is twisting. I noticed it backing out of my driveway. Forth, its heavier. Fifth, the retractable sun shade for the Panorama does not block out 100% of the light, sixth, when you are parked, you can not leave the back end of the roof titled up for ventilation AND have the sunshade closed, and seventh, it costs more. In summary, I’m glad I didn’t end up getting it.

There are some differences in the 2012 car vs my 2010 E63. Improvements: Both dash screens are now in color. There is Alcantara on the roof. The connectors for the IPOD etc have moved to the console in between the two front seats. There are places to plug in a USB flash drive or Mini SD card to transfer music files. The excellent seats seem exactly the same, except it seems to the heat sensors in my gluteus maximus indicate that the seat warmers get just a bit warmer than before. Me like.

There is also the Eco feature, which actually works pretty well. If you leave the car in C mode and don’t turn the feature off, the car shuts down if you are stopped for more than a couple seconds. The a/c fan keeps going, and the car very seamlessly starts up and goes when you take your foot off the brake. Few people buy an E63 for its gas mileage, but if you are stuck in traffic, this is a good way to drastically and easily decrease fuel useage.

Different but not necessarily better: the shift knob is lower and has a hole in it. The steering wheel is no longer round and seems smaller, maybe too small for my taste. The bottom and top of the steering wheel is slightly flat. I think it’s a mistake to make the top flatter because it cuts off the view (at least for my 6’-5” body) of the top of the speedometer. When I have the wheel positioned where I like it, I can not easily see the 70, 80, and 90 portion of the speedometer. I do like the Alcantara leather on the sides of wheel.

You are probably reading all this and thinking, “Dang, this is too much detail! Get to the good part!!! How does it drive? What’s that engine like with 550hp and 590 lb/ft of torque?” As you can see from my signature, this is my 4th E55 or E63. I fell in love with the 2003 car and the torque from the 5.5L motor. The 6.2L motor in my 2 next cars was always less satisfying to me because the power came on later and it had less torque. To get the same acceleration thrill, you had to press the accelerator farther and wait longer with the 6.2L motor. If I could have checked an option box to put the old 5.5L motor in my last 2 cars, I probably would have.

All I can say about the car and the motor is that dipping into its 590 lb/ft of torque is pure sweetness. Its not surprising that adding 25% more torque than the 2010 motor (and 6% more hp) is going to be quite noticeable. It is, and it’s a blast to drive. It not only brings back that original 2003 torque thrill that I fell in love with, it does way better since it has 14% more torque (and 17% more hp) than that 2003 motor. My gluteus maximus dyno feels a huge difference.

The suspension feels a bit stiffer than my 2010 car, but this is probably because that car had 18” wheels, and this one has 19” wheels. I would say it feels like its ½ way in between my old Comfort setting in suspension and the Sport 1 setting. Its stiffer, but not a full notch stiffer.

The bottom line is that they did a really great job with this torque-monster of a car.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 E63 Review-2012e63.jpg  

Last edited by E63AMG; 11-02-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Nice writeup- not much to add or retract IMHO with my 2010 W212 E63 vs my 2012 CLS63.

FYI- your suspension is going be about 1 level stiffer in each mode, or at least thats what I feel, because you have the PP suspension with stiffer dampeners than even the normal E63/CLS63.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
nice write up indeed....
I'm guessing you're in Europe to get the eco start business?
the TQ sounds amazing...
and I don't know about everyone else around here, but pictures are always welcome

stay safe and have fun! (keep having fun)
Old 11-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I'm guessing you're in Europe to get the eco start business?
I got the ECO stateside on the CLS... I never ever use it.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
lovely car and review

few questions

1. i thought all AMg's got the top end leather, i remember on our s550 there was standard and premium options

2. Without P2, do you still get xenons? Is P2 just make them "active" xenons

3. Did u have a chance to drive the NON PP version of the car, and be able to compare it to the PP version prior to purchase

4. DID you sell the 2010, if not, do some PIcs comparisons too, to amuse us
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
'12 E63
Great review

I ordered my '12 E63 about 10 days ago. My sales guy told me and I confirmed on the MB USA website that there's no more P2 as all of those options are now standard. That and the USAA discount I get as a former Marine mean they offered it to me at 86k+ (price not final yet) for Drivers Assist package and Rear Side Airbags. I expected to pay 4-5k more because of P2 so I'm real happy. The only downside is that the 2-3 month wait could really test my discipline. Enjoy your Performance Package rocket.

Gene
Old 11-02-2011, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

are u serious, 86K
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SYdjRVCR0

theres no way im paying mid seventies for a 2010 then
Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by vdubpower
lovely car and review

few questions

1. i thought all AMg's got the top end leather, i remember on our s550 there was standard and premium options

2. Without P2, do you still get xenons? Is P2 just make them "active" xenons

3. Did u have a chance to drive the NON PP version of the car, and be able to compare it to the PP version prior to purchase

4. DID you sell the 2010, if not, do some PIcs comparisons too, to amuse us
Thanks for your comments and questions.

Regarding questions 1 and 2, I am not sure what is standard for AMGs.

I did not have any interest in driving a non-PP version of the car, not did I have the opportunity.

I have not yet sold the 2010, but since the body style is unchanged except for the engine badges, comparison pics are a little pointless.

I do hope to take some pics of the new car and post them up in the next week or so.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well if u do sell the other one u have to do some side to side quarter miles and drag races between the two and make sure u have vids, i havent seen any youtube vids comparing the 2 cars head on yet....
Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 PM

'12 e63 p30
what break in process do you use?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by joshb63
what break in process do you use?
My break in process is a battle: As I drive the car, a responsible version of my voice whispers into one ear "Remember not to drive the car hard during the first 1000 miles. Don't get the revs up too high, don't accelerate quickly or make the car drop down a gear. The engine needs to be gently broken in."

Into my other ear, a devilish and hedonistic version of my voice whispers temptingly "Come on!!!! You know you want to do it! Floor it! Dip into that torque you've been waiting for! These cars are built to take it! Don't you need to really get to know this car NOW so you can act like a bigshot and impress all your buddies on MBWorld.org about your hot new car?"

The battle continues...

Last edited by E63AMG; 11-03-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just drive for 2- 3 days straight, that will cover the milage, then i wanna see some head to head battles with the 6.2
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
'12 E63
Originally Posted by vdubpower
are u serious, 86K
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SYdjRVCR0

theres no way im paying mid seventies for a 2010 then
That's the exact conclusion I came to. I was probably looking at some of the same used '10's you were looking at- Walters MB, Long Beach, Rocklin MB, etc. None had the options I was looking for primarily because I didn't want the Panorama roof and definitely want the rear airbags. Along with the airbags all I want is the drivers assist package, and P2 (which is now standard). The USAA deal is great if you've got a military connection. If you or your parents are current or former military, you qualify. Let me know if you need any help.

Gene
Old 11-04-2011, 12:14 AM

'12 e63 p30
Originally Posted by E63AMG
My break in process is a battle: As I drive the car, a responsible version of my voice whispers into one ear "Remember not to drive the car hard during the first 1000 miles. Don't get the revs up too high, don't accelerate quickly or make the car drop down a gear. The engine needs to be gently broken in."

Into my other ear, a devilish and hedonistic version of my voice whispers temptingly "Come on!!!! You know you want to do it! Floor it! Dip into that torque you've been waiting for! These cars are built to take it! Don't you need to really get to know this car NOW so you can act like a bigshot and impress all your buddies on MBWorld.org about your hot new car?"

The battle continues...
In response to this, i would first like to say i am in no way an expert on the topic and i also dont want to thread jack you.

Something i have noticed is some people who are torn between hard and soft break in think a hard break in is bad for the car. Im not saying its great for it, but just because we have been taught to think soft is the safest way, we feel like we are hurting our cars during hard break in. from what i have heard it is actually good for the car, but its hard to take a 108k car and beat the s*** out of it and think we are doing something right. BUT ITS SO TEMPTING
I will be doing a...medium...break in. the manual says under 4500 rpm and under 85 mph. If you think about it, that doesnt limit us to soft break in, just not full throttle acceleration runs.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:44 AM

CTS-V Coupe
In some of the reviews and test drives of the CLS and E with the 5.5 biturbo there has been a very noticeable turbo lag coming out of a corner and punching it onto a long straight. Have any of you 5.5 owners experienced any kind of turbo lag?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by King335i
In some of the reviews and test drives of the CLS and E with the 5.5 biturbo there has been a very noticeable turbo lag coming out of a corner and punching it onto a long straight. Have any of you 5.5 owners experienced any kind of turbo lag?
I have not noticed this, but I have few miles on the car.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by King335i
I have not noticed this either and I have put on 800 solid driven miles (Hard break in)... in fact with the MCT in D mode I see the tranny putting me in the correct gear each time in turns and the smaller turbos spool up nicely. As nice as the GTR?- NO As nice as the PDK- NO. But no "very noticeable" lag at all.

The MBZ trannies adapt and if you drive it aggressive it will respond in kind. Which means proper gear and less lag IMHO.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

aarrgghh....i almost got to drive one today at fletcher jones, they were quite busy and it took forever to get a sales guy there, as we were looking at the car, another sales guy brought another client over to drive it, problem is they already had the key, so he goto drive it, even thought there was a third party who was negociating at the time the second guy was driving, by the time it came back....sold

i had to drive a 2010 again, i really wanted to drive the TT so i could compare......

Hey Vic55, can i checks yours out
Old 11-05-2011, 08:00 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
yeah Vic, when can we all see it!!?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Am I jealous? You could say that, congrats on the car man and enjoy it
Old 11-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vic55
.. in fact with the MCT in D mode I see the tranny putting me in the correct gear each time in turns and the smaller turbos spool up nicely.
What is "D mode"?

I know the AMG screen will show the gear the car is in. I would understand if you said "Sport+" mode. I just am not familiar with "D mode". Is this a CLS feature? Do you just mean "D" like "Drive"?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by E63AMG
What is "D mode"?

I know the AMG screen will show the gear the car is in. I would understand if you said "Sport+" mode. I just am not familiar with "D mode". Is this a CLS feature? Do you just mean "D" like "Drive"?
Sorry I wasnt too clear- yes D mode for me is S+ and just allowing the tranny to shift itself.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

does anyone ever use S mode, it seems in all the discussions its just gets left out of the loop
Old 11-09-2011, 04:11 AM

2012 E63 AMG
just a couple of quick comments.

mbusa dot com finally added the 2012 E63 onto their "build your car" site. It is now very accurate and aligns to "almost" the same as what the dealers builds screens show.

When I built my car several weeks ago, there was several oddities (separate charge for red brake calipers, charge for standard version of the 19" wheels, and the Gas Guzzler Tax). Once MBUSA had the build on their website, I printed out my config and took into into the dealer and made sure they printed out a new build order. My car gets built on Nov 14th and then its the long wait to get shipped to LAX, then the ride to Portland Oregon. So I am looking at end of Dec to mid January.

I ordered it pretty loaded and it does have the premium leather option now. My dealer told me, at times, some things are simply out of stock at the factory and they can not build with certain options all the time. I am getting everything I want which is pretty much everything except for (cabon fiber trim, chrom door handles, pano roof, the the ceramic brakes). Everything else is on my car. I am paying ~$105k for it which is $2k off of MSRP. I am not entitled to any discounts through any programs. My discount came through a very simple process. "I have bought 2 mercedes from you and service both cars exclusively through you. I am sure I can find a dealer on the west coast willing to give me a discount, do you really want me to go that route after my loyalty to this dealership and you as a salesman?)

Thanks
Russell

Last edited by russellm; 11-09-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 AM

CTS-V Coupe
Originally Posted by Vic55
Sorry I wasnt too clear- yes D mode for me is S+ and just allowing the tranny to shift itself.
Something that concerns me is that all the reviews I have read of cars equipped with the MCT is that it shifts great when left to its own devices, but I personally almost never leave a car in D, or in this case S+, I always shift with the paddles or the "shifter". But I have read that if you try shift yourself the transmission is very slow to respond. Is this true?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 E63 Review