Sponsored by:

e63 vs. M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e550
e63 vs. M5

I have an e550 coupe, this is my first Mercedes. Been a BMW guy for as long as the dawn of time. I have to say, I'm quite impressed with the brand.

I traded in a 2009 M5 that was lightly modded to buy the e550.

I'm noticing that the e63 AMG's (2011-2012) are selling for upwards of $150k.

My question to you guys is this: Comparing the e63 or CLS63 AMG to an M5 (which is tens of thousands of dollars cheaper)......what more are you getting in a Mercedes that you won't in a BMW M5 or comparable car?

Is the high(er) price tag justified in your eyes?

/discuss
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by e550coupe550
I have an e550 coupe, this is my first Mercedes. Been a BMW guy for as long as the dawn of time. I have to say, I'm quite impressed with the brand.

I traded in a 2009 M5 that was lightly modded to buy the e550.

I'm noticing that the e63 AMG's (2011-2012) are selling for upwards of $150k.

My question to you guys is this: Comparing the e63 or CLS63 AMG to an M5 (which is tens of thousands of dollars cheaper)......what more are you getting in a Mercedes that you won't in a BMW M5 or comparable car?

Is the high(er) price tag justified in your eyes?

/discuss
Upward of $150K?!...Are you in the states? On the other hand, an E63 costs way more than $150K outside of the US.

Well, you get a larger displacement engine than the F10 M5. So with both tuned (if that's what you plan to do), then you definitely will get more power from the M157 engine.

Also, MB has been more reliable than Bimmers especially since Chrysler got dumped out of Diamler. Thus you are more likely to get stranded on the road with a Bimmer.

If you care about safety, W212 is structurally stronger and, overall, safer than the 5-series IMO. The strength is highly pronounced when you compare roof strength and side impact intrusion (see data from iihs.org).

By the way, the price of an E63 shouldn't be that much different from a M5.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM

e550
Thanks Ota....I might have been looking at a CLS63. Yes, you're absolutely right about BMW's being pieces of ****.....my M5 was in the shop every single month for the 2 years I owned it, it ate 2 quarts of oil every month (probably due in part to my love of taking the motor to 9k rpm to hear the engine sing) and 3? weeks after the warranty expired, the SMG pump and clutch took a dump....$7k repair bill. I own my own business and used the car as a daily driver, bad mistake. I had to fill up with gas (when it was $5/gallon) every single day for 2 years without fail.

Yes I do plan on tuning it and I know there's no replacement for displacement.

Thanks for answering my questions.....I just drove out to Vegas in my e550 and the car floated on air and I'm so relaxed.....with my M5 the car would have been bouncing all over the road (DINAN springs/suspension) and I would have felt like crap. I'm completely sold on Mercedes and am kicking myself for staying with BMW for the past 10 years.

I actually have two more questions.....

1. Can AMG's be used as daily drivers or should I have a secondary car to get groceries etc?

2. How are the AMG cars after the warranty expires or thereabouts? Are there any major issues or just normal stuff? I outright buy my cars and I like to keep them for a few years.....the M5 was honestly a hole in the ground that I threw tens of thousands of dollars into...which is/was fine, however, a new Mustang 5.0 is as fast as the e60 M5 0-60 so it stopped being worth it.

Last edited by e550coupe550; 12-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 326 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by otakki
Upward of $150K?!...Are you in the states?
He is in states, but might as well be on an other planet. That was followed by "I might have been looking at a CLS63". The question is not where is he, but rather what is he on when posting?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM

e550
Originally Posted by threeMBs
He is in states, but might as well be on an other planet. That was followed by "I might have been looking at a CLS63". The question is not where is he, but rather what is he on when posting?

So you're telling me that the e63 and cls63 costs less than $150k (after tax)?

I could have sworn I saw a sticker on the window of a 2012 CLS63 at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach that listed the car for $150k....maybe it was $140k. Either way, it was more than the $110k that I paid for the M5 back in 2009 and that's what stood out in my mind.

I just looked on autotrader.com and some private seller was selling his for $100k with only 400 miles....2012 model.

aaaaand I'm not smoking anything as such.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Thanks Ota....I might have been looking at a CLS63. Yes, you're absolutely right about BMW's being pieces of ****.....my M5 was in the shop every single month for the 2 years I owned it, it ate 2 quarts of oil every month (probably due in part to my love of taking the motor to 9k rpm to hear the engine sing) and 3? weeks after the warranty expired, the SMG pump and clutch took a dump....$7k repair bill. I own my own business and used the car as a daily driver, bad mistake. I had to fill up with gas (when it was $5/gallon) every single day for 2 years without fail.

Thanks for answering my questions.....I just drove out to Vegas in my e550 and the car floated on air and I'm so relaxed.....with my M5 the car would have been bouncing all over the road (DINAN springs/suspension) and I would have felt like crap. I'm completely sold on Mercedes and am kicking myself for staying with BMW for the past 10 years.

1. Can AMG's be used as daily drivers or should I have a secondary car to get groceries etc?

2. How are the AMG cars after the warranty expires or thereabouts? Are there any major issues or just normal stuff? I outright buy my cars and I like to keep them for a few years.....the M5 was honestly a hole in the ground that I threw tens of thousands of dollars into...which is/was fine, however, a new Mustang 5.0 is as fast as the e60 M5 0-60 so it stopped being worth it.
I thought long and hard about the E63, but ultimately bought a 2013 M5 that my small local dealer had for sale on the showroom floor. After one drive, I had to have it. Not that the E63 isn't a fantastic car; it is. It's just that with a new model about a year away, one with AWD, I decided to return to the M5 'family'; (this is my third, an E39 and an E60 before it). The F10 M5 is a fantastic vehicle that can be used as a DD easily, as long as one places winter tyres on the car if exposed to nasty weather. It constantly puts a smile on my face. After 3,000 miles I'm returning 19 mpg (US) with about 60% highway miles. No oil replaced since my 1200 mile service, but I am down to the halfway mark so will have to add a litre soon. Others are having more oil usage for sure but I place my marked decreased oil usage down to using the 'motorcycle' variant of breaking the car in. Anyway, so far I'm extremely happy and the 'free' service for 4 years is a nice plus, as was the fact that the M5 is cheaper than the E63, at least the way I would have optioned one.
BTW, I owned my 2006 M5 SMG III for two years and never had one mechanical issue, and it never burned oil. Good luck with the E63.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I use mine as a daily driver. Of course, it would be safer to have winter tires if you have snow and icy roads at where you live. However, I chose to leave the summer tires on the E63 and instead got a set of rims with Michelin X-Ice winter tires (all for around $500) for my old, reliable RWD Nissan. I figured the most I'll be using winter tires will be around half a dozen time during the winter--like today.

Remember, with this type of cars, you are losing money if you don't drive it. So why keep it as a garage queen.

Personally, I wouldn't have this type of cars around without a warranty. If something does break, especially with the engine, it is for sure going to cause a big dent in the wallet. At this point, there is no known problems with the 5.5TT engine, but those turbos can fail and when that happens, it wouldn't be cheap to replace the turbos.

Those cars can certainly retailed for $150K if they are highly specs, ie with CC brakes. However, you can get them for much less without all the options.

Yes, I'm not too crazy about this 4matic as standard thing.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
[QUOTE=otakki;5462421]
Also, MB has been more reliable than Bimmers especially since Chrysler got dumped out of Diamler. Thus you are more likely to get stranded on the road with a Bimmer.

QUOTE]

I would love to here your reasoning and rational behind your comments? You make absolutely no sense.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not the only one who feels that way. I have heard similar from many other individuals as well as on time from a manager at a MB dealership. A general consensus for the downward reliability during the time Diamler is with Chrysler is due to the over-expansion. That caused MB to divert resources to try to pull Chrysler along and the engineering suffered and reflected in the products as a result since no company has infinite resources. As we all know, Chrysler finally got sold in 2007.

I hope I'm making sense...probably not.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3

lol, you're retarded buddy.

the e60 m5 is probably the highest regarded sport sedan ever made. the engine is an absolute masterpiece. and the suspension is much better than the MB 63's

dinan springs? what the hell were you doing putting anything DINAN on your car? dinan is crap.

i had my e60 m5 for a couple years never had one problem.

2012 cls63 for 2 months; interior trim started rattleing loose, add oil message popped up every other week, ride quality was "horrible"and steering column needed to be replaced.

it goes both ways.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Both cars are fantastic and can be DD without any issues.
I agree that if you are going to tune them, the edge goes to MB with the higher displacement engine. Tunes are now readily available for the E/CLS but not yet for the M-5. It will cost more for the M-5 at the beginning but if you buy from Dinan, it will be under the BMW warranty and that is huge.
I would think the 4matic option coming out is going to make the E/CLS quite a bit faster than the M5 and there are a few videos out there showing that the car is still RWD biased and can drift.
As a side note, I was also debating the 2 cars and I am leaning right now for a 2014 CLS63. One the main reason which is subjective is the look of the car. An M5 to most people look like a regular 50K 5 series. No one can mistake the CLS for anything else.
The upcoming M6 grand coupe could be a contender as well.
You end up paying more for a CLS and grand coupe for the sexyness but IMHO, it is well worth it.
Even fully loaded, a CLS will not retail for $150K.
You can get one nicely optioned for $11X.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
E550coupe550,
What are you smoking. Base on a E 63 is $90K. If you get every conceivable option, including the wagon, you might get to $150k. Sales tax not included.
Which varies from city to city. Basically 5 to 10% in USA. 0% in Oregon. The big options are the
Carbon / Ceramic brakes $12.5K, PP $7.8 K and Designo interior .
Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 SL65, '13 FX4 Eco
Originally Posted by mainly

the e60 m5 is probably the highest regarded sport sedan ever made. the engine is an absolute masterpiece. and the suspension is much better than the MB 63's

dinan springs? what the hell were you doing putting anything DINAN on your car? dinan is crap.

2012 cls63 for 2 months; interior trim started rattleing loose, add oil message popped up every other week, ride quality was "horrible"and steering column needed to be replaced.

it goes both ways.
Couldn't agree more that dinan is crap. I would never put that stuff on my x5m
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of fast cars.
Originally Posted by mainly

it goes both ways.
I would have to say the e39 m5 is, to this day, the highest regarded sports sedan ever made. IMO.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4matic, Porsche Cayenne S

So, are you saying that the E63 are better than the E60 M5? because I am planning to change my car from E350 to a 2006 M5 with Dinan mods on it. What do you guys think?
The M5 has a 88k miles on it. should I go for it or not?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Nyet
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nein.