Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd row retrofit in AMG wagon? done.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
I also like the camera setup - nice way to hold those Canon bad boys in place!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e63 AMG bi-turbo wagon
FINALLY DONE!!
Man this project took a long time.

Spare needs to be taken out as we've been talking about, so latest crazy thought: I've been meaning to do wheels as a next mod, so what about going to run flats?! Bad ride etc. I know, but I've also read they're a lot better now, especially the Michelins?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Renntech E63S
run-flats are certainly an option. lots of manufacturers go that route. i'm doing a can of fix-a-flat as a safety net, as most of my use is in the city. if i ever take the car on an extended trip, i plan to just toss the spare AMG rim in the trunk. an inconvenience for sure, but not enough to not have the 3rd row mod.

good work! glad to hear you have completed the project.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:41 AM

2012 e63 wagon
where do i get parts for this mod? the seats belts and any other item i may need?
want to this ASAP.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 GT-R, '97 993TT
CPT

Al does the best work (but I suspect he disrobes prior to test drives to feel the fine Affalterbach leather against his nekkid bum). He'll be doing my first "mod," rear hitch, for my bike rack, very soon.

Last edited by iconcls; 11-28-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:46 PM

2012 e63 wagon
Who's Al.. And don't I know you from RS6.com?

[QUOTE=iconcls;5858324]Al does the best work (but I suspect he disrobes prior to test drives to feel the fine Affalterbach leather against his nekkid bum). He'll be doing my first "mod," rear hitch, for my bike rack, very soon.[/
Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 PM

e63 AMG bi-turbo wagon
Hey there, I don't have the exact list of parts, but I can say that the way my shop (Sonic MS) did this was to: find the VIN of an E350 wagon like one listed for sale on eBay (that's what they literally did). Call a friendly contact at an MB dealer parts department. Have them pull the parts sheets for that VIN for the rear trunk area, should be only a couple/few sheets (exploded diagrams with part numbers). Use those diagrams as visual reference to order all the various parts and bits, there are kind of a lot of parts. Hopefully they'll also be cool about returning unused parts, as you will inevitably end up with some bits you don't need (and be missing others), it's a confusing scene back there. Also, lead times on some of the major parts were long as they had to be ordered from Germany.

I still need to post pics of how I still got my spare to fit under the seat floor 'arm'. It involved cutting and die grinding the aluminum arm, so you have to have a willingness to cut metal... I figured even if I have to order that part as a replacement eventually, it's still cheaper than ordering run flats now.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 AM

sls amg gt
Originally Posted by isamubenz
Hey there, I don't have the exact list of parts, but I can say that the way my shop (Sonic MS) did this was to: find the VIN of an E350 wagon like one listed for sale on eBay (that's what they literally did). Call a friendly contact at an MB dealer parts department. Have them pull the parts sheets for that VIN for the rear trunk area, should be only a couple/few sheets (exploded diagrams with part numbers). Use those diagrams as visual reference to order all the various parts and bits, there are kind of a lot of parts. Hopefully they'll also be cool about returning unused parts, as you will inevitably end up with some bits you don't need (and be missing others), it's a confusing scene back there. Also, lead times on some of the major parts were long as they had to be ordered from Germany.

I still need to post pics of how I still got my spare to fit under the seat floor 'arm'. It involved cutting and die grinding the aluminum arm, so you have to have a willingness to cut metal... I figured even if I have to order that part as a replacement eventually, it's still cheaper than ordering run flats now.
Ready to order a fully loaded 2014 E350 wagon but I would get the E63 in a heartbeat if I could get that 3rd row in there. Imo the spare is not an issue at all. I am more concerned with anchoring the seat and seat belts and messing with the rear panels without introducing rattles and squeaks. What has been your experience so far? Also, here in MA the roads are awful 6 months a year with potholes of all sizes. Do you think the ride quality of the E350 (Sport with 19"s) is compromised for the sake of performance on the E63?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM

e63 AMG bi-turbo wagon
no creaks, rattles, any of that. I do think you need to get a really solid shop to do the work though.

on the ride quality, I can't really comment because I've never driven the 350 for comparison. My expectation is that the E350 probably rides significantly softer than the E63, if that's what you're asking. an E63 on bad roads is definitely noticeable in terms of jarring ride, and that's with me in CA!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2014 E63 S
One thing to consider before doing this mod is the potential for problems if you ever had passengers in the third row and were in a collision. I would expect if anyone was ever injured in those seats, your insurance could deny coverage given that the car did not come from the factory with 3rd row seats. My $0.02.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:20 PM

2012 e63 wagon
I doubt insurance can do that.
If I had a dog back there and it was injured do to a rear end job I would definitely want any medical reimbursement for it if sustained during an accident.
I'm also in the process of doing the mod and will call my adjent to confirm.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Renntech E63S
Originally Posted by HPMan
One thing to consider before doing this mod is the potential for problems if you ever had passengers in the third row and were in a collision. I would expect if anyone was ever injured in those seats, your insurance could deny coverage given that the car did not come from the factory with 3rd row seats. My $0.02.
this is rubbish.
cars don't get a federal sign-off or seal-of-approval when interior mods are done. aftermarket companies that customize limos and vans are not subjected to federal inspections. put the seat in, don't put the seat in. insurance doesn't care if the factory installed your seat, or if the dealer/shop installed it any more than they would care if you bolted on fancy non-OEM wheels that haven't been crash tested on said vehicle.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 PM

sls amg gt
Can't hit what you can't catch. Of course it can also outbreak everybody (oops).

Seriously, if the rear seat exists in the 350 and can bolt on the 63, I don't see how this is an illegal mod, unless there are homologation rules or air bag considerations that we are not aware of.

Anyhow still hoping for a DIY or at least a parts list from some amazing individual....
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 AM

E63
in the market for E63 wagon and this would be the first mod I do.

it'd be nice if someone can introduce me to a shop in the Northeast that can help me with this.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:41 AM

2012 e63 wagon
Or a parts list 😉
Old 03-30-2014, 12:52 AM

2012 e63 wagon
what took so long? i just confirmed and payed for all the parts..

any heads up or pointers for me?

FINALLY DONE!!
Man this project took a long time.

Spare needs to be taken out as we've been talking about, so latest crazy thought: I've been meaning to do wheels as a next mod, so what about going to run flats?! Bad ride etc. I know, but I've also read they're a lot better now, especially the Michelins?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:52 AM

2014 E63 S Wagon
Count me in - all i need is the parts list and a shop in So Cal that will do a good install and I am ready to add some seats!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:44 AM

2012 e63 wagon
I have a parts list. And I will let you know how good the shop installs.

I got all my parts from downtown mercedes in Los Angeles. My friend owns the shop he is hooking me up on the parts. They should be all in this week. Shop is a body shop in Santa Monica. Email me if interested.
Originally Posted by jimxyz
Count me in - all i need is the parts list and a shop in So Cal that will do a good install and I am ready to add some seats!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 PM

e wagon
My registration on my 2014 E63 says 7 passenger.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by pali63wagon
I got all my parts from downtown mercedes in Los Angeles. My friend owns the shop he is hooking me up on the parts. They should be all in this week. Shop is a body shop in Santa Monica. Email me if interested.
So how did your install go? I need to see an E350 w/ third row (or E63 with third row) up close to see if I can do the install. According to the MB parts diagram the third row is incompatible with the 942 trunk rail load system that I added in but looking at photos it looks like it may be possible to have both of those options. It'd be cool putting the seats in just because. Anyone want to take me up on this offer in the Seattle area or SF area next time I'm down there?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:24 AM

2012 e63 wagon
What is a load system? My install went perfect.

It looks completely factory and I retained my spare. Again thanks to the Amaizing work of my body shop. A good installer is the key. And now that they did one they have it down pat! If your in the Los Angeles area at all I would use them. I did loose the use of the cargo cover. You need to use one from the 350 it's a tad skinnier but I really had no use for it and having three kids I use the seat every day. I even fit a small McClaren stroller in between the third roe and back seat for the 1 year old. Best mod ever! The ship is Bair's keystone auto body. I
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
So how did your install go? I need to see an E350 w/ third row (or E63 with third row) up close to see if I can do the install. According to the MB parts diagram the third row is incompatible with the 942 trunk rail load system that I added in but looking at photos it looks like it may be possible to have both of those options. It'd be cool putting the seats in just because. Anyone want to take me up on this offer in the Seattle area or SF area next time I'm down there?
Old 04-16-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E63 P30 Wagon
where are you located in the Bay Area? I would love to see your third row addition.

no creaks, rattles, any of that. I do think you need to get a really solid shop to do the work though.

on the ride quality, I can't really comment because I've never driven the 350 for comparison. My expectation is that the E350 probably rides significantly softer than the E63, if that's what you're asking. an E63 on bad roads is definitely noticeable in terms of jarring ride, and that's with me in CA!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 E63s
I'm glad to see that this can be done. I have 3 kids, the youngest are 5 & 4 y.o. so this would be a practical 'mod' for me. Does anyone have any recommendations for a body shop in the DC area?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by pali63wagon
It looks completely factory and I retained my spare. Again thanks to the Amaizing work of my body shop. A good installer is the key. And now that they did one they have it down pat! If your in the Los Angeles area at all I would use them. I did loose the use of the cargo cover. You need to use one from the 350 it's a tad skinnier but I really had no use for it and having three kids I use the seat every day. I even fit a small McClaren stroller in between the third roe and back seat for the 1 year old. Best mod ever! The ship is Bair's keystone auto body. I
So how did the shop solve the aluminum brace/spare tire situation? Is it possible to show pictures of your setup? Thanks!

What's the difference between the 350/AMG cargo cover aside from skinniness? Does it still have all of the same features? I'm just trying to figure out why MB didn't just use the same cover for all variants if they've got all of the same functions.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:32 AM

2012 e63 wagon
Same features just thinner I believe

they modified the metal brace slightly I can take some pics tomorrow just not that sure on how to post them. I will give it a whirl
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
So how did the shop solve the aluminum brace/spare tire situation? Is it possible to show pictures of your setup? Thanks!

What's the difference between the 350/AMG cargo cover aside from skinniness? Does it still have all of the same features? I'm just trying to figure out why MB didn't just use the same cover for all variants if they've got all of the same functions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 3rd row retrofit in AMG wagon? done.