W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with the Comand phone system. Can it be replaced with something better?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s4
Problem with the Comand phone system. Can it be replaced with something better?

The system will receive calls, upload the directory, but will not respond to my voice command to call "person's name". I say the person's name and it asks for a number. If I click on the name in the directory, it will dial properly. When I try to scroll thru the alphabet displayed at the bottom of the screen, it skip letters such as jumping from K to O (although I have names starting with the letters it skipped over.

It also displays names last name first. Yet my phone is first name first.

Is anyone else using a Blackberry phone running OS 10.3.1? I'm using a Blackberry Passport. If it the Comand system, I would suppose the same problem would occur with a Z10, Z30 or classic.

I'm hopeful it is a defective Comand unit and not incompatibility.

Perhaps the Comand unit is very centric to the other fruit.
Has anyone replaced the Comand unit with a more advanced unit?

If so, what did you buy?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
You cannot upgrade the command to anything else

You're better off getting a second phone... Like an iphone
Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Yes It can be replaced. However, it may cost you 6 to 10k dollars.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 AMG E63
I have a Galaxy Note 2 and it uploaded all of my entries and works fine with the voice stuff. In fact its the first car where I actually use the voice commands as it actually tends to work although when calling my wife Cara it makes me say the name kind of funny otherwise it won't recognize it.

It sounds like some incompatibility with however the blackberry is storing the contacts.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Blackberry?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:01 PM

s4
Yes, Blackberry

OK, I'll bite the hook on your "Blackberry?".

Not everybody likes the same fruit. I bet you didn't even investigate the lastest Blackberry. Yes, you can make the best phone and software available, but if people are not aware of it, its hard to be successful.

Mercedes F1 Petronas certainly likes Blackberry.

I have all the Android apps you could want, Amazon App World, Amazon Instant Video, Pandora, Google Play, Netflix, HBO Go, Sygic, etc. editing of MS Office docs. file management, ability to attach a flash drive, show PowerPoint slide with pinch to zoom, Oh, and type using a real keyboard, flick predicted words to the screen, assign commands to keys.

32 gig plus SD card 128gig, 2 day battery life, high resolution screen large enough you can actually see a full email. Works on all GSM bands worldwide.

You may want to read the Forbes article on Apple versus the Blackberry Passport.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...88198703,d.eXY
Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
ok. ok. lol.

go ahead and investigate tearing your car apart in order to enjoy your different "fruit."
Old 03-13-2015, 10:49 AM

2011 AMG E63
Thats all nice and I'm sure its a great phone, but the reality is Android has the market. I'm a little puzzled by Apple as they just slip in market share and people act like Apple is the dominant operating system. I will admit that Apple has great battery life, I have an I phone 5 for work and the battery life is fantastic, but I really dislike the phone itself for so many reasons. At the end of the day, the car manufacturers are going to make sure their stuff works with Android and Apple, Blackberry no matter how good their stuff is has like no market share left and frankly will probably fade away quite soon like it or not. Windows phone likely will be gone shortly as well.

Originally Posted by cyclezib
OK, I'll bite the hook on your "Blackberry?".

Not everybody likes the same fruit. I bet you didn't even investigate the lastest Blackberry. Yes, you can make the best phone and software available, but if people are not aware of it, its hard to be successful.

Mercedes F1 Petronas certainly likes Blackberry.

I have all the Android apps you could want, Amazon App World, Amazon Instant Video, Pandora, Google Play, Netflix, HBO Go, Sygic, etc. editing of MS Office docs. file management, ability to attach a flash drive, show PowerPoint slide with pinch to zoom, Oh, and type using a real keyboard, flick predicted words to the screen, assign commands to keys.

32 gig plus SD card 128gig, 2 day battery life, high resolution screen large enough you can actually see a full email. Works on all GSM bands worldwide.

You may want to read the Forbes article on Apple versus the Blackberry Passport.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...88198703,d.eXY
Old 03-14-2015, 09:17 AM

s4
Blackberry

You could be correct about Blackberry's survival. But they are profitable. The new phones are Android friendly. So, if a Comand or MMI system works with Android, the compatibility with the new Blackberry's is highly probable. I've used android phones too. I much prefer them over Apple. The Apple phones are not easily used for business (when compared to the features and benefits of the Blackberry Passport) and the accuracy of typing, at least for me, is poor. If I were a kid and just wanted Aps, droid and Apple would be the easy way to go. Add the status cool-factor, and peer pressure into the mix, and that tips the scale to Apple. Back to MB: why would a $100K car have limited electronics. It should be adaptable and software upgradable to respond to changing phone technology.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:32 AM

2011 AMG E63
Originally Posted by cyclezib
You could be correct about Blackberry's survival. But they are profitable. The new phones are Android friendly. So, if a Comand or MMI system works with Android, the compatibility with the new Blackberry's is highly probable. I've used android phones too. I much prefer them over Apple. The Apple phones are not easily used for business (when compared to the features and benefits of the Blackberry Passport) and the accuracy of typing, at least for me, is poor. If I were a kid and just wanted Aps, droid and Apple would be the easy way to go. Add the status cool-factor, and peer pressure into the mix, and that tips the scale to Apple. Back to MB: why would a $100K car have limited electronics. It should be adaptable and software upgradable to respond to changing phone technology.
Agree with what you are saying and you are right, you could and should talk to the dealer, but I fear it will come down to compatibility issues. Its the same reason these 100K cars don't come standard with Limited Slip differentials.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:17 PM

s4
dealer installed firmware update

My dealer found the newest firmware for the Comand system. Service tech said it was a major software change which took close to three hours to install. I get the car back tomorrow and will report back on if it works better.

I'm confident it will because the list of phones the documentation for the firmware lists phones introduced to the market last year including the new Blackberrys running OS 10. So, perhaps those of you that are struggling with non fruit phones, the firmware might help.

If the part number is listed on the service paperwork, I'll post that info.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:20 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2014 E63 S
I have a Z10 and it works fine with Comand.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:38 PM

s4
z10

What OS version are you running?

I found speaking instructions didn't always work. I'd ask for a contact name and it would respond requesting a phone number. This was using the OS version before 10.3.1.2576. I'm hopeful that the system will have more logical commands and not require repetitive steps when one or two should suffice.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2014 E63 S
I'm using 10.3.1.1581
Old 03-19-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
what about getting carplay installed if you have 2014 and up?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:17 PM

s4
OK, I'm reporting back in. There is no part number. The dealer simply searched on their web site where their software is located. The system works quicker. I need to explore the system more before I claim it is substantially different.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Question

Originally Posted by robl45
I have a Galaxy Note 2 and it uploaded all of my entries and works fine with the voice stuff.
What about the sort order? Is it by first name or last name? My android device is set up first name last name but I can't find out how to change the display on COMAND. Thx.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 AM

2011 AMG E63
Originally Posted by nycebo
What about the sort order? Is it by first name or last name? My android device is set up first name last name but I can't find out how to change the display on COMAND. Thx.
When I do the voice commands, it uses the first names, I believe it shows them last name, first name if I scroll, but I always use the voice commands.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 AM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Thanks robl45. I'll give that a try this evening and report back.