W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me why I NEED the wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 BMW 335xi M-sport, Performance Edition; '16 E63S Wagon (on order)
Tell me why I NEED the wagon

I'm thinking about ordering a new E63 AMG Wagon. I've driven the AMG S sedan (my dealer doesn't have any wagons in, obviously) but haven't been able to drive the wagon. The wagon is the version I would prefer since I have a toddler and it would make things easier...plus we all know it's the ultimate family hauler. I'm coming from a BMW, and this car is a huge step up in terms of performance. I have never owned a Mercedes before, much less an AMG car. This would be my main vehicle; daily driver, family hauler, errand runner, etc.. I live in the mid-west and we get some snow and cold but nothing like the areas north of Chicago.

So now that I think I've made up my mind I am getting a little gun-shy about pulling the trigger. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help answer since you live with them on the regular.

1. As a daily driver, how loud is it really? Do you get used to the noise and vibration?

2. For wagon owners, do you think the wagon is louder inside than the sedan? I'm wondering if being open inside instead of having a trunk might amplify the sound some? Don't get me wrong, I love the sound. I'm just trying to be as cerebral as possible about something that is clearly an emotional purchase, lol.

3. Realistically, how is it in the snow? I would put snow tires on it and I notice in the threads that it seems like no one has much trouble with it as long as it has winter tires, but its still a little hard to tell what the general consensus is about this.

4. Carbon ceramic brakes package, or nah?

5. Anything else about them I should know?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-21-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2011 Audi A4, 2014 E63S Wagon, 2020 GLS 580
1. It's loud enough to draw attention but it doesn't bother me. I have about a 1 hour commute and I can easily listen to the radio or make calls. In C mode, it rides fine but as with any low profile tire/wheel, you have to watch the pot holes.

2. I haven't compared it to a sedan.

3. I haven't driven it in the snow that much but you may want to check out this blog for some real world experience. Also there a lot of wagon owners from Canada, so I think they would say with the 4matic and winter tires it is fine. http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-lon...-in-the-world/

4. I didn't get them. Standard brakes are great and the replacement/repair costs for ceramic are too daunting for me unless you don't keep the car for long enough to worry about that.

5. I love the combination of every day functionality, performance, comfort, and style.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the reply ksalno! I don't have much of a commute but it's good to know that it isn't too much.

Do you have any idea what the brake life (with the standard brakes) will be for these?
Old 03-21-2015, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
1. Not loud enough to be obnoxious in my opinion. You hear the note if you step on it and if you're easy on it it doesn't make much noise.

2. I think the wagon is slightly louder due to the open cabin.

3. Can't comment on that since it doesn't snow in Seattle.

4. I highly recommend it. I don't take the car to the track but the biggest advantage I find is the CCB have very low brake dust. MB normal brake pads are generally soft and will start throwing dust around 10 miles after you clean the wheels. This to me is already worth it. They also say the rotors of the CCB are supposed to last the life of the car (~100k miles) so you won't have to replace those often, if at all. There's no squeal in my experience with ambient temps as low as 28F and they don't need to warm up to get pedal feel. The pedal feel is always there from cold to warm and the stopping power feels immense. They also look really cool!
Old 03-21-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
RS7
You don't ever NEED a wagon. You buy it BECAUSE WAGON. make sense? if not, then you shouldn't get it.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by CanuckE63
You don't ever NEED a wagon. You buy it BECAUSE WAGON. make sense? if not, then you shouldn't get it.
Boom

... E63 is a great daily driver
... Sound is fine and subtle most of the time ... My 4, 3, and 1 year old love it when I get on the gas... It's instant applause and cookies thrown everywhere
Old 03-21-2015, 02:55 PM

2015 AMG E63S 212
I've driven both and I don't notice much difference. The wagon has functionality that a sedan does not. I have had a number of them and am always hauling something. The performance in snow is spectacular with winter tires. I have noted a lot of the owners have the brake upgrade, but absent on-track driving, the standard brakes are more than adequate. I can't justify the carbon fiber options either, but if money is no object, what the hell. The B&O stereo is also overkill in my mind, but again, if you've got it, flaunt it. I can't imagine anyone not being thrilled with the E63S wagon.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:43 PM

s4
I too never drove a sedan. The engine noise is wonderful. Regarding snow, I live in NJ and got my car at the beginning of March. Mine is a RWD. I got 4 snow tires (Michelin Alpin PA4), put three sand bags in the back, and driving it in "C' mode, I was fine, but also was careful. A new one is 4matic. So, snow isn't a concern.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
You can also get Option 839-Laminated Acoustic Glass Front and Rear doors.
it will cut the outside noise by 10 dbs.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 SL63, 2014 E63S Estate, 1995 300ZX Twin Turbo (gone but not forgotten), 2015 SQ5
A wagon keeps the dog off the leather! OK, not the only reason to get a wagon - most people (myself included) buy the wagon for the usefulness. We use ours (and we have always had at least one wagon since '78) as a "suburban pickup truck" - hauling shrubs, wood chips, etc. In addition, the E63S Estate is the ultimate stealth car - police, and kids in "hot" mustangs, ignore you.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 PM

2014 E63 AMG Wagon, 2011 Porsche Spyder, 2014 C7 Stingray, VW TDI Cup Street Edition
The wagon just has an unexpected cool factor that makes it special, and I don't think they make as many wagons as sedans.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 PM

E89 Z4
Another problem for some is the acoustics for listening to music. The different speaker positions can matter. The long tube can develop resonances. On the bright side you can put bass traps in the back.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't think I made it clear that I meant tell me why I "need" to buy this car. I already know why wagon.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 AM

I hadn't considered the effects of the wagon on the sound of the stereo. Anyone have the B&O upgrade? Does that make a difference? Worth it?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 PM

E89 Z4
Originally Posted by thatstoomuch
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't think I made it clear that I meant tell me why I "need" to buy this car. I already know why wagon.
You are still going about this the wrong way.

The fact that you don't *really* need the wagon makes it all so much more satisfying to get a Mercedes wagon.

It is like deleting the sunroof in cars where it is included in the price on the 6-cylinder mode and you don't get the $1000 or whatever back that it would have cost in the 4-cylinder model. The fact that you do not get the money back and the manufacturer pockets it makes it even more worthwhile to cross that box.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:21 PM

E89 Z4
I hadn't considered the effects of the wagon on the sound of the stereo. Anyone have the B&O upgrade? Does that make a difference? Worth it?
I am still trying to get somebody to show up at my house so that I can measure a B&O in an E-class or 5-series for real (and give the owner some suggestions for EQ settings). Didn't happen yet. And I see a lot of people bashing the B&O as being all looks and treble and no substance. The only thing that makes it attractive is that the HK is a bit of a joke, too.

People with more exposure seem to say Burmeister or nothing.

Some higher value Bose systems that have been in Mercedes in the past seem to do very well, but not what you can find today in e.g. the Audis.

Not a good situation. Personally I really hope that the B&O actually is or can be made to perform well.

Gone are the days where you didn't have to pick between $1000 extra for meh and $5000 for rippoff, where you could pay $2000 and got both good head unit and good speakers. Revenue management and value added extras have taken over.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:52 PM

2015 AMG E63S 212
No one has ever "needed" an AMG wagon or otherwise. That what makes such a purchase so enjoyable. It's like why does a dog lick his nuts….because he can! I just came back from an errand on snow-free road, put it in sport and sport suspension, it was like being in Watkins Glen. The biturbo thrust makes me feel like a master of the universe. (Wife not aboard!)
Old 03-23-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Here's another reason to get the AMG wagon awesomeness: rarity.

More than a few times, the E63 wagon has been pointed out as one of the most rare - if not the most rare - autos made by AMG.

To reiterate all the fine points already made, the AMG E63 S wagon is a no-brainer:
* Big honking V8? Check
* Stealth wagon? Check
* Exclusivity and rarity? Check

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on_first_test/

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...wagon-car-news
Old 03-23-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
...I really wished I had a high-perf wagon.

I needed / wanted AWD for my current car, but seriously cross-shopped the RWD-only CTS-V wagon anyhow. I never considered the sedan, but their wagon made my short list solely because it was a wagon despite lacking awd. I'll save you a driver's review, but suffice it to say it was awesome. Unsurprisingly, my rationale side won and the RWD-only CTS-V was out.

If Audi could be bothered to bring their current (B8?) S4 wagon err Avant stateside, it also would've been on my short list. Poor Audi.

While I'm more than satisfied with my biturbo W212 E550 4M sedan, I freely admit to gazing upon your AMG wagons (and sedans, I suppose) with more than a little envy. Congrats!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 PM

1973 BMW 2002Tii, 2013 E63 wagon Cavansite P30+Premium
I have a 2013, RWD wagon and i love it. I have a 3yr old and a newborn and the 3 yr loves it, especially the on ramp to the highway when we get to punch it!

As for Noise, i did the resonator delete with a X pipe. To me, the start up is definitely louder but normal cruising it seems fine. No complaints from the wife or kid.

I have been daily driving my wagon since Aug 2012 and I find it comfortable for long rides (longest is an 8 hour sprint to Upstate NY) as well as short trips to walmart. I actually don't really hear the exhaust noise since i have the stereo on most times, wish the exhuast was a bit louder (that's why I did the X pipe)

I run a square 255 Michelin Alpin snow tire setup and for the most part it's fine. The first year was great, and as I shredded the snow tires I get stuck every now and then. I'm just finishing my third season on my snow tires and I would say I will have to replace them next season. In the grand scheme of things, getting stuck a handful of times is worth the smiles it brings to my face everytime I romp on it! The new 4Matic and snows I heard from a local guy here is a beast!

As you know with a kid, there comes a crap load of stuff, and I would have to say the wagon trunk is shaped better and more useful than my old Range Rover Sport or my wife's X3.

The wagon does get lots of attention, I would say more so than a sedan. From rolling into car shows to just thumbs up at stop lights. My wife is still baffled and a little disturbed by the attention, she doesn't get it! haha!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:01 AM

2012 E63 Wagon P30
I have a 2012 E63, and I love how I can go anywhere with it.

I have two kids, they are very comfortable and the car can hold all the kids gears.

At the end of the day, I am paying my dues to change the world's stereotypes about Americans and their love towards big-boxy-gas-guzzling-****ty-handling SUVs.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 AM

2014 E63 AMG Wagon, 2011 Porsche Spyder, 2014 C7 Stingray, VW TDI Cup Street Edition
Radio?

Don't even worry about the radio. The exhaust note is music to me.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:13 PM

I am enjoying these responses. Of course I always knew why the wagon was the ultimate choice but reading these replies makes me feel more confident in taking the plunge.

I work from home and have a toddler so I am a stay-at-home-dad. To me this car is the ultimate at-home-car-guy-dad car. There doesn't even seem to be anything else that comes close.

My local dealer is now looking for their next available build slot for me. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'12 E63 Wagon
Ive never been happier with a car (and I've had all sorts). I wouldn't expect the sedan to be nearly as useful to me... I use the back and the roof rails all the time. Dogs and boxes and kids and bikes and roadtrips.........

All in a very, very fast, low profile (mine is debadged) car.

It is a serious pleasure to drive everyday.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
I went with the Sedan. Wagon guys get the utility and Q-car factor, but the sedan has the uber Benz super saloon status and much better looks in my opinion. The wagon looks enormous.

You can't go wrong either way... But I betcha $10 most wagon guys have the trunk empty more than they have it full. I knew I would hence the decision to take the sedan with the more classic Benz look and feel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tell me why I NEED the wagon