M157 and M278 biturbo performance crank pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 07:09 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
M157 and M278 biturbo performance crank pulley

Another quick easy way to gain power, spin turbos up and increase mpg, with this UPD performance, lightweight and 20% under-driven harmonic balancer. Pictures are shown of the pulley on my car. OEM balancer is cast iron and 11 lbs, UPD balancer inner hub is machined from 4140 chrome molly steel, nitride hard coated and the outer ring is billet machined aluminum that has been hard anodized.

UPD balancer 5.7lbs VS 11bs for the OEM cast iron balancer. Install was easy on my garage floor and only took me an hour. Yes, could have used a lift but like to do the job the way many people may do the install to get a live feel for the task

What I felt and mpg improvement.

*improved throttle response
*turbos spun up quicker
*MPG test at 80 mph cruise before and after showed a 1.25 to 1.5 mpg improvement.
*other advantages , include reduced wear and stress on all parts that the accessory belt turns, due to 20% less rotation.
*20% underdriven was used and shown to be the perfect ratio to still maintain battery charge at idle with load.

M157 and M278 biturbo performance crank pulley-20150927_145154_zpsvfu0xvt0.jpg

M157 and M278 biturbo performance crank pulley-20160101_102350_zpspc9wyigc.jpg

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Another quick easy way to gain power, spin turbos up and increase mpg, with this UPD performance, lightweight and 20% under-driven harmonic balancer. Pictures are shown of the pulley on my car. OEM balancer is cast iron and 11 lbs, UPD balancer inner hub is machined from 4140 chrome molly steel, nitride hard coated and the outer ring is billet machined aluminum that has been hard anodized.

UPD balancer 5.7lbs VS 11bs for the OEM cast iron balancer. Install was easy on my garage floor and only took me an hour. Yes, could have used a lift but like to do the job the way many people may do the install to get a live feel for the task

*turbos spun up quicker
*MPG test at 80 mph cruise before and after showed a 1.25 to 1.5 mpg improvement.
*other advantages , include reduced wear and stress on all parts that the accessory belt turns, due to 20% less rotation.
*20% underdriven was used and shown to be the perfect ratio to still maintain battery charge at idle with load.

Nice to see you guys banging out the products Brooke. Another one to add to the list! Cost for this pulley kit?

Last edited by KLR CLS; 01-30-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:29 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Nice to see you guys banging out the products Brooke. Another one to add to the list! Cost for this pulley kit?
List

799.00 with balancer, belt and new bolt.

Thank you and we have a whole lot more rolling down the pipeline.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Dyno gains?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:13 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Typical gains with a 50% reduction in pulley rotational mass and 20% underdriven balancer are 10-16 hp range and up to 1.5 mpg improvement. This is across the whole power band , you can feel the throttle response and turbos spin up quicker. All belt driven rotating parts will last longer and generate less heat.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
Back in March I purchased both the UPD Cold Air kit and UPD performance Crank Pulley, for my 2015 E63S. The Cold air kit has proven to improve performance over the stock and also BMC filters.
However, since I installed the Performance Crank Pulley the car felt strange when going full throttle as the trans would hesitate to shift or shift at lower rpm. I took the car to the Drags to verify and the trans would not shift properly going into 5th before the finish line and on 3 occasions the engine just shut off completly at about 200 ft from the finish line.
I reinstalled the stock pulley and the car performs well again. Went to the drags yesterday to verify and all was fine. Seems to me the PCM goes crazy with this underdrive pulley.
Car Stock got 11.48 @123.45 (-24 DA)
Rebellion Tune+Renntech mufflers+BMC filters : 11.16@127.26 (-1124 DA)
Rebellion +Renn mufflers +UPD Cold air + Crank Pulley : 11.51@122.78 / 11.76@106.21 engine cut-off
Back to stock Crank Pulley : 11.23@125.50 (+1529 DA 86*F)
UPD can you comment on this ?
Old 08-10-2016, 05:47 PM

'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
Bump, for UPD to comment on a $799 list product that does not perform on the M157 engine for wich it is advertised ?
Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Not surprised unfortunately. Hopefully they resolve the situation to your satisfaction
The following 2 users liked this post by blackbenzz:
CerBErusM113 (11-13-2017), RA81722 (09-23-2017)
Old 08-11-2016, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Funny, they seem to have time to respond in other threads.

I had an under-drive pulley (by one of the biggest pulley manufacturers) on one of my other cars. I always had issues with charging and the performance improvement just wasn't worth the worry. These cars are so sophisticated sensor wise that I wouldn't be surprised to see it go into limp mode if it senses something out of spec with the charge.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by TMC M5
Funny, they seem to have time to respond in other threads.

I had an under-drive pulley (by one of the biggest pulley manufacturers) on one of my other cars. I always had issues with charging and the performance improvement just wasn't worth the worry. These cars are so sophisticated sensor wise that I wouldn't be surprised to see it go into limp mode if it senses something out of spec with the charge.

Exactly, I also have Under-drive pulleys on some of my other cars, where it performs as advertised by slowing the accessories and frees some more HP, but this UPD pulley just creates havoc with the PCM of my 2015 E63S, trans becoming totally erratic at shift time under WOT and the engine going into limp mode at the track before the end of the 1/4 mile.
Seems to me, this product was not performance tested before introduction, as in normal street driving it works fine but it does not work with the car's sensors under full power.
The following users liked this post:
RA81722 (09-23-2017)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'17 G63 AMG
How can a pulley create havoc PCM? Have you tried running a multimeter across the charging system w/ the UPD balancer installed? Seems to me you have a sensor on it's way out or too much electrical draw & might need a smaller pulley to overdrive the alternator vs an issue w/ the UPD balancer.

I've had no problems from my wife's daily driven '12 E63. It's a nicely made item & not some ricer-style pulley, but an actually thought out & designed harmonic balancer that's on par w/ other big names out there & OEM for that matter.

Curious to see what you find.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by SSleeper
How can a pulley create havoc PCM? Have you tried running a multimeter across the charging system w/ the UPD balancer installed? Seems to me you have a sensor on it's way out or too much electrical draw & might need a smaller pulley to overdrive the alternator vs an issue w/ the UPD balancer.

I've had no problems from my wife's daily driven '12 E63. It's a nicely made item & not some ricer-style pulley, but an actually thought out & designed harmonic balancer that's on par w/ other big names out there & OEM for that matter.

Curious to see what you find.

Yes, the Pulley itself is very nicely made, saves weight and all is fine under normal daily driving, but this is sold as a Performance product. Try doing 5 runs at the Dragstrip and we can compare results. I did not do a multimeter test as I removed the pulley after 2 disappointing visits to the Strip, and reinstalled the stock one, went back to the strip and the car shifts fine again.
The PCM or TCM on my AWD 2015 must take into account the speed of the accessories vs engine speed as it really did not act well under full throttle.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'17 G63 AMG
Interesting to hear the TCM compares the PCM's RPM-accessories speed variance. Sounds like you figured out the problem though & a slight mod to your tune would've corrected the issue
Old 08-11-2016, 01:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
The voltage regulator, and pretty much anything else is not only designed to monitor RPM but, temperature and even battery resistance and adapt to it. If you get the one of the voltage regulator variables out of specs it will go in a "limp/maintenance" mode.

Get on a diet, lose a few pounds and not only your car but your health will be better off. Also $800 for a pulley? Just saying...
Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Astolfo
The voltage regulator, and pretty much anything else is not only designed to monitor RPM but, temperature and even battery resistance and adapt to it. If you get the one of the voltage regulator variables out of specs it will go in a "limp/maintenance" mode.

Get on a diet, lose a few pounds and not only your car but your health will be better off. Also $800 for a pulley? Just saying...

My toughts too, and I've already lost 10 pounds, 10 more to go !
Anybody wants a slightly used UPD PERFORMANCE Pulley with Belt ?
$300 Shipped
Old 08-11-2016, 01:28 PM

?
Originally Posted by SilveRT8
My toughts too, and I've already lost 10 pounds, 10 more to go !
Anybody wants a slightly used UPD PERFORMANCE Pulley with Belt ?
$300 Shipped
Let me fix this for you.
Anybody wants a slightly used UPD PERFORMANCE Pulley paper weight, free shipping and garbage disposal fees"
Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Let me fix this for you.
Anybody wants a slightly used UPD PERFORMANCE Pulley paper weight, free shipping and garbage disposal fees"
Lolol

I'll totally pass on this pulley
Old 08-12-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55TT
I have this same pulley on a 2016 CLS63 AMG. First off, I'd just like to mention that the product appears to be really well made. We have had the car on a dyno as well as street testing to do 60-130 pulls with a Vbox. Its hard to compare its performance gains as the conditions were not remotely the same to baseline ( disgustingly hot and humid in south jersey right now) but we are having zero issues with the PCM going crazy or the car shutting off.

Engine response definitely feels crisper. Although I agree there are easier ways to get performance gains this mod is for those who are looking to extract every last bit. The test car has Powerhaus Performance Stage 2 turbos (billet compressor wheel and larger turbine wheel) and just about every other mod under the sun including a 100 shot of nitrous. It makes 672 wheel horsepower on a mustang dyno on 93 octane + meth. I have no doubt that it was easily clear 770+ on a dynojet. The car has run a 6.6 second 60-130 at full weight + nitrous bottle, ice tank, and other aftermarket accessories.

I just thought I would share this information. Have a nice weekend!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:44 PM

?
Originally Posted by cls55tt
I have this same pulley on a 2016 CLS63 AMG. First off, I'd just like to mention that the product appears to be really well made. We have had the car on a dyno as well as street testing to do 60-130 pulls with a Vbox. Its hard to compare its performance gains as the conditions were not remotely the same to baseline ( disgustingly hot and humid in south jersey right now) but we are having zero issues with the PCM going crazy or the car shutting off.

Engine response definitely feels crisper. Although I agree there are easier ways to get performance gains this mod is for those who are looking to extract every last bit. The test car has Powerhaus Performance Stage 2 turbos (billet compressor wheel and larger turbine wheel) and just about every other mod under the sun including a 100 shot of nitrous. It makes 672 wheel horsepower on a mustang dyno on 93 octane + meth. I have no doubt that it was easily clear 770+ on a dynojet. The car has run a 6.6 second 60-130 at full weight + nitrous bottle, ice tank, and other aftermarket accessories.

I just thought I would share this information. Have a nice weekend!
Awesome...nobody here is questioning the "quality". But the effects.

Regardless the quality and feeling; the voltage regulator expects the alternator to generate X amount Amp/hr at a given (among others):
  • RPM*
  • Ambient Temp
  • Alternator Temp
  • Battery Temp
  • Resistance on the electrical harness.
  • Resistance at the battery.
  • Battery capacity.
  • Battery upper-lower voltage limits.
  • Peukert's exponent.
  • Battery chemistry.
  • Charge Efficiency Factor.
Get one of these parameters out of spec and like in any other engine-electrical system with a smart regulator I have dealt with will go into trickle to protect the electrical system.

* in sophisticated systems are measured both at the alternator and engine; in less sophisticated RPM are measured at either the engine or alternator.

Then there is an other can of worms when it comes to the actual ECU that I do not know anything about.

But based on the electrical part alone, I rather lose the weight

Enjoy your POWER!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
I have this same pulley on a 2016 CLS63 AMG.
The test car has Powerhaus Performance Stage 2 turbos (billet compressor wheel and larger turbine wheel) and just about every other mod under the sun including a 100 shot of nitrous. It makes 672 wheel horsepower on a mustang dyno on 93 octane + meth. I have no doubt that it was easily clear 770+ on a dynojet. The car has run a 6.6 second 60-130 at full weight + nitrous bottle, ice tank, and other aftermarket accessories.
have you gone to the track yet?

i wish i had a shop like powerhaus close by to me as see a lot of good stuff coming out of powerhaus for benz's lately
Old 08-12-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55TT
Awesome...nobody here is questioning the "quality". But the effects.

Regardless the quality and feeling; the voltage regulator expects the alternator to generate X amount Amp/hr at a given (among others):
  • RPM*
  • Ambient Temp
  • Alternator Temp
  • Battery Temp
  • Resistance on the electrical harness.
  • Resistance at the battery.
  • Battery capacity.
  • Battery upper-lower voltage limits.
  • Peukert's exponent.
  • Battery chemistry.
  • Charge Efficiency Factor.
Get one of these parameters out of spec and like in any other engine-electrical system with a smart regulator I have dealt with will go into trickle to protect the electrical system.

* in sophisticated systems are measured both at the alternator and engine; in less sophisticated RPM are measured at either the engine or alternator.

Then there is an other can of worms when it comes to the actual ECU that I do not know anything about.

But based on the electrical part alone, I rather lose the weight

Enjoy your POWER!
Just sharing my experience with you folks. No issues thus far.

Of course weight reduction is key but only so much you can do to a 2016 CLS63 AMG without destroying the awesome creature comforts it comes with. This is a full interior car and will remain that way When you want to try to be the fastest out there, you have to do everything to gain the competitive advantage.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Just sharing my experience with you folks. No issues thus far.

Of course weight reduction is key but only so much you can do to a 2016 CLS63 AMG without destroying the awesome creature comforts it comes with. This is a full interior car and will remain that way When you want to try to be the fastest out there, you have to do everything to gain the competitive advantage.
Ride or die
Old 08-14-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
e63 amg w212 6.3
I've heard from experience from 4 m157 range that the Pulley did mess with their engine resulting in ware-tare/damage to the crankshaft.(as i kind of recall), and 2 members with the m156 range who had bad experience with the m156 pulley from agency power.
UDP aren't really suited for the amg engines, same story with the "camshafts" which companies bring out claiming power but results in the vendor never replying back or blaming the "tune" for damages etc.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 E550, 2014 GLK 350
In because I would like to hear the vendor address the risks/concerns. This has always been an easy way to squeak out power on my other cars. Though, typically, the crank pulley came with an alternator overdrive pulley to offset the under drive, which could lead to issues in cars with big amperage draw.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 458 Likes on 202 Posts
2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55

*turbos spun up quicker

Attachment 369733

Attachment 369734

i am am really interested in this. But do not want electrical issues. Can anyone give me and feed back. I’ve seen one on the forums with a bad issue but the rest seem to be ok. . Honastly I would like a lighter crank pulley without being under drivin, if anyone knows a company that does please lmk. If not I may have a custom lighter pulley with balancer made.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M157 and M278 biturbo performance crank pulley