Sponsored by:

Dealer hit my car - question about resale value

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
no MBs at the moment :(
Dealer hit my car - question about resale value

As I've mentioned in my other thread about brake noise, my car was at the dealer for the past 2 weeks for the 3rd time. When I went to pick up my car this morning, the valet guy immediately said "oh, that's your car. We hit it this morning."

He said it in such a matter of fact manner, I thought he was joking (in hindsight, I think he thought I had already been called about this).

It looks like they backed it into a corner wall or something.

They told me to leave my car and my SA would call me about how to handle this on Tuesday. He also said they'd buy a new bumper, and pay for a new wrap and ceramic coating for the bumper. I'm not trying to make money off of this, so normally I would be fine with this. My one concern is that what effect on resale value wil this have.

On my Interlagos Blue E90 M/T sedan (a BMW enthusiast equivalent of an AMG wagon w/ CCBs), multiple dealers told me that normally my car would have a higher than average trade-in value, but some minor paintwork I had done dropped the value by over $10K. I thought the first guy was trying to screw me, but several of them said that the typical buyer of my car would also be an enthusiast, and they'll care a lot about any bodywork. And, the work had been done by a BMW factory certified body shop.

How do you think this is going to affect my resale value? My car is less than a year old.

Last edited by CliffJumper; 01-14-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Looks like a bumper was damaged. Once restored there will be no difference in value. Bumpers are sort of expendable parts and redoing a bumper is inconsequential.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
No effect unless it is reported to insurance and carfax. Then you could take a hit on the value. If it shows up on carfax report then tell the dealer to compensate you for diminished value.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
no MBs at the moment :(
Originally Posted by homeofstone
No effect unless it is reported to insurance and carfax. Then you could take a hit on the value. If it shows up on carfax report then tell the dealer to compensate you for diminished value.
Of course, it's now on the internet, so almost like carfax...
Old 01-14-2017, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
If your state allows for diminished value (and it shows on Carfax and/or Autocheck), you will need to claim this.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Bumper cover really no big deal , there going to pay for it so it won't show on carfax, I'm sure it's happened on plenty of times on brand new cars during transport ,
Old 01-14-2017, 10:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
The paint meters that they use to tell if a car was painted do they only work on the metal surfaces? If the bumper does not come painted and the meter works on plastic it would likely show up, as well most semi-exotic cars that I have traded in the past they have always asked if any body work was done or paint work....sorry to say it this car has bad juju. Each state has its own dollar limit that under a certain limit damage can be done in transport or at the port without notifying the dealer or owner.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
First let me tell you I feel for you. What the hell is up with the MB dealers are they all like this.

I would get a an expert on it and contact MB USA so this does not go under the radar.

It is irrelevant if it shows in car in Carfax (the car will be tagged and any MB dealer will know) and it will always show in paint meter and spectrometer. I do not take delivery of a car without measuring both paint thickness and refraction in all body panels.

Also make sure that that the new bumper (not fixing) has the same base color as the rest of the car or it will discolor at a different rate specially when exposed to UV. they can figure out the base color by removing paint from a small area. Make the body shop to have all the parts ready before they disassemble your car, and then proceed.

There is NO WAY you should settle for anything less than this and an equivalent loaner and also get a claim for loss of use and time.

You are in the commanding position and without being an *** get all you deserve. Been there with a MB dealer before.

Call me crazy but you paid a ton of money for your car.

Good luck man!

Last edited by Astolfo; 01-14-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 892 Likes on 626 Posts
E63S | X5
I would just see if the dealer plans on using insurance to cover their costs. Just because you made a thread about it doesn't mean alarm bells and whistles are going off. If they plan on using insurance I would get in writing somewhere that if/when you decide to trade they'll give you a premium price as though nothing ever happened.

If they haven't claimed anything on insurance yet, I would emphasize the desire not to do so and have them just cover the expenses. This way nothing gets reported and you can go on like nothing ever happened when all is said and done.

Definitely a headache though, especially if they make an insurance claim.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
If they plan on using insurance I would get in writing somewhere that if/when you decide to trade they'll give you a premium price as though nothing ever happened.
And then you are stuck with that dealer, or laying to someone down the road.
I would do things the correct way now, go through the nightmare and get it over with. then you do not have to lie when you sell it.

Whatever they do the record for parts will be in the car's history accessible to MB.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
W212
They didn't even call you when it happen?

You arrived to pick it up after warranty service?

That's BS on their part.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
E63 amg estate
Diminution of value laws vary per state. Check your states laws regarding it.
If the dealer used their insurance, find out who it is and talk to them about it.
here is a link for state laws regarding diminution of value
https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/u...-50-states.pdf
Old 01-15-2017, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
They have definitely struck the thing pretty hard. I usually don't care so much for the bumpers because they are meant to take hit, but not when it's such a big dent like that. I just hate the part about having to rip the whole thing off and lead to fit and other problems afterward.

Definitely need to be compensated for diminished value and your loss of use.