2016 E63S Clicking Sound - Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 123 Posts
E63s AMG
Originally Posted by bucktown
Quick update, took the car in to my local dealer and left it with them, they were able to recreate the noise up on the lift after it sitting outside overnight. For the record, the noise has been much less noticeable since the weather has improved as of late.

I suggested the shim fix, but they are insisting on replacing the driveshaft, not sure if that includes the bearing assembly. Will continue to update after the parts arrive and the work is completed.
​​​
All under warranty right? So how long are they keeping your car there?
Old 04-07-2018, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63s AMG
Originally Posted by bucktown
Quick update, took the car in to my local dealer and left it with them, they were able to recreate the noise up on the lift after it sitting outside overnight. For the record, the noise has been much less noticeable since the weather has improved as of late.

I suggested the shim fix, but they are insisting on replacing the driveshaft, not sure if that includes the bearing assembly. Will continue to update after the parts arrive and the work is completed.
​​​

Any updates bro?
Old 04-08-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 e63s amg
Originally Posted by Ed99

Any updates bro?
Parts came in, and driveshaft was replaced on Wednesday under warranty. I have been driving my truck all week because it's been pouring rain and for some reason the street sweepers have yet to clean the sand/gravel off the roads.

The sound had significantly diminished by the time I took the car in for repairs, whether attributed to generally warmer ambient temperatures or "normal" break in as per Mercedes (car only has 16000kms) I can't be sure, but I didn't notice the sound on the drive home.

Once the sun comes out, I'll take a good listen on a cold start and report back.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 e63s amg
Another update, I noticed the ticking sound for the first time distinctly yesterday, so the driveshaft replacement did not solve the issue for me (as reported by other members).

The car had been sitting in the garage for probably 3 days without being driven, and this was the first time I heard the noise since the attempted repair. Not sure if I will wait for warmer weather and the assembly to "break in" and see if the noise goes away, or peruse the shim fix with the dealership, I'm only at 19000 kms on my 2016. I'll update either way.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63
In for the fourth time and still have the bad luck of not hearing it with the foreman or tech in the car. Any updates from others?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by C6L3S
In for the fourth time and still have the bad luck of not hearing it with the foreman or tech in the car. Any updates from others?
It only was apparent after car sat for a while level. I wasn’t able to produce it with him either, but did ask for an audio recording which he sent off to engineers which actually triggered them doing the work.

Good luck. Can be very frustrating.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2015 E63S
This thread has been helpful. I thought I was going crazy.
I have a 2015 E63s, 36k KM.
i have this same ticking/clicking noise but only when I lift OFF the gas and coast the car, same approx speeds as everyone else is reporting here. Doesn’t really matter if cold or warm.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63s AMG
Originally Posted by van_rider
This thread has been helpful. I thought I was going crazy.
I have a 2015 E63s, 36k KM.
i have this same ticking/clicking noise but only when I lift OFF the gas and coast the car, same approx speeds as everyone else is reporting here. Doesn’t really matter if cold or warm.
Hey buddy. You are from Vancouver too. Welcome to the board. What color is your e63s? We can share info on our cars lol.
I took my car in to MB and they said this ticking noise is common for E63S and more so during the cold weather. Our cars needs to warm up to be running optimum. So nothing replaced to fix this ticking noise. They kept my car overnight to test this. But they did update my gear shifting levels and now runs super smooth.
The following users liked this post:
van_rider (11-05-2018)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63
Update:
Dealer finally was able to work with me and sent one of the guys from the service center to witness the noise. Ultimately, based on the service report, seemed to be associate with the propeller shaft and bearing. Propeller shaft was removed, propeller shaft center bracket and bushing on one end was replaced (grooved ball bearing, fold. bearing package, grease). If anyone needs more details, I’m happy to provide more info via pm. I didn’t see any ntsb reference, although the diagnostics seemed to make reference to “electronic ears” being used to diagnose source of problem. Only on day one back with the car, but so far so good!
Old 06-06-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E63S Wagon
To add some more info and possibly help others (as this forum did me)...

My 2016 E63 wagon had the same ticking/clicking noise. I took it to a MB dealer close to me - repeatedly - and they told me it was my brakes. They eventually wanted me to pay for new rotors and pads to fix it.

I took the car to another MB dealer in town and they did proper diagnosis with the "chassis ears" (a sensitive microphone system they use to pinpoint noises) and found that the noise was coming from the rear driveshaft center support bearing. They put the car on their alignment lift to provide a totally level surface and checked the angle of the the driveshaft sections. They found the angle difference was .6 degrees - but spec is .1 to .4 degrees. With a bit of trial and testing, they ended up shimming the center support bearing with 2.5 mm of shim and the noise was completely gone. This was done in February and I've driven 3000 miles since - no ticking/clicking at all.

I found diagnosing and solving this annoying little noise is highly dependent on the dealership and their service team. The first dealership never got it right - after at least five visits - even after I showed them posts from these forums where others had had the same issue resolved. They ignored that and just told me to get new brakes (at my cost). Ridiculous.

The other dealership was excellent. The shop foreman took all the info I gave him on-board and worked the problem - methodically. They used the "chassis ears" to repeatedly check their progress as they tried different shim widths. He also found that there are no TSBs for this noise, but Mercedes did have other technical cases in their system that matched this. Throughout the process of fixing this noise (it took a few days) he kept me up to date via email of everything they had done and their daily progress in eliminating the ticking/clicking noise. I could not have been happier with their service and willingness to value input from the customer regarding the problem. And the best part: they fixed it correctly with the one service visit.

Hopefully everyone can get their dealer to listen to them (and the ticking noise) and properly fix it. Thanks to all on this board for their invaluable posts!
Old 06-09-2020, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Mercedes 300CE SPORT
Originally Posted by Marshall M
Good day everyone,

I have a problem with my 2016 E63S AMG and I'm really hoping there's someone on this forum that can lend a hand.

My car has 10k KM's and has made a clicking sound since new, but has gotten progressively worse as the car was broken in. This clicking sound is very noticeable in the cabin. It only comes about between 40km/h and 60km/h, only when accelerating normally. Off the gas - no clicking. Not between 40km/hr-60km/hr - no clicking.

I've uploaded a couple of cell phone videos to youtube. You might have to turn up the volume a bit, but you can definitely hear the clicking clearly. Here's the links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXd-OYwNtqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Sjeb3ZrOA

Honestly, the most frustrating thing is my Mercedes dealership and how I'm getting dicked around. They had the car in, didn't find anything, and I haven't got a response back after a couple of additional inquiries. Very frustrating. You'd figure I'd be getting better service considering I spent $125k on this car.

I figure before I inquire with them any further I'd throw this out on this forum and it's user base to see if anyone has any type of insight that might be able to help me out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Marshall

Old 06-10-2020, 01:44 AM
e65

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 E63 S model
same noise on mine. Dealer could not figure it out. Now the car is no longer in warranty. Beyond a nuisance I doubt it is of any consequence.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:59 PM

Received 610 Likes on 275 Posts
poop
Help!

Does anyone of you who has had your car fixed with the 2 or 2.5mm some have a picture of the fix?
I realize it's under the car, I've been there looking at the bearing for a little while. However the two bolts that hold the bearing support in place are totally visible, I'm just wondering when they say 2.5 mm shims, do they really just mean a washer?
Thanks.... My car makes the nose only for a few minutes on the very first drive between 30 and 40 miles an hour

Old 02-05-2021, 09:04 AM

Received 259 Likes on 172 Posts
2014 E63S
Originally Posted by kenneyd
Help!

Does anyone of you who has had your car fixed with the 2 or 2.5mm some have a picture of the fix?
I realize it's under the car, I've been there looking at the bearing for a little while. However the two bolts that hold the bearing support in place are totally visible, I'm just wondering when they say 2.5 mm shims, do they really just mean a washer?
Thanks.... My car makes the nose only for a few minutes on the very first drive between 30 and 40 miles an hour

https://youtu.be/vpqIPsbqqcY
Can just throw 2 nylon washers between the body and the bracket. less chances of it rusting out in the future(if it even happens) and its plastic so its alot softer if it does come down to any rattling
Old 02-05-2021, 01:40 PM

poop
Originally Posted by Mojo20032004
Can just throw 2 nylon washers between the body and the bracket. less chances of it rusting out in the future(if it even happens) and its plastic so its alot softer if it does come down to any rattling
Possibly, I just use stainless so they won't rust, and in case there's any stress in that area of deflection. Here is a picture of what it looks like with no shims.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:54 PM

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Did you take the shims out?

Old 02-05-2021, 07:47 PM

poop
Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Did you take the shims out?
No, that picture was from before. I was simply just hoping that somebody would show me a picture of what the dealerships look like.
I used some 1"x 2.5mm washers since I'm assuming that's what the dealer's using.
I'll probably try to make some by cutting out some squares instead when I get a chance.

By the way, it took like 12min to do this if anyone else is wondering

Old 02-06-2021, 08:37 AM

2014 E63S
No, that picture was from before. I was simply just hoping that somebody would show me a picture of what the dealerships look like.
I used some 1"x 2.5mm washers since I'm assuming that's what the dealer's using.
I'll probably try to make some by cutting out some squares instead when I get a chance.

By the way, it took like 12min to do this if anyone else is wondering

And the verdict is?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:40 AM

poop
And the verdict is?
That it's still dumping outside here and my cars clean 😂
it suppose to be dry tomorrow, I'll test it then and report back.
Old 02-06-2021, 08:48 AM

2014 E63S
That it's still dumping outside here and my cars clean 😂
it suppose to be dry tomorrow, I'll test it then and report back.
ah hehehe. I can relate.stupid salt and snow has mine sitting since Dec.Well let us know! Since you got a lift, you get a chance to check your airmatic filter being a 5yr old car with barely any miles means it sat awhile
Old 02-08-2021, 07:40 AM

poop
And the verdict is?

Driving the car twice now with the 2.5 mm washers in place. There has been no noise whatsoever.
Like I said before, I'm pretty sure the dealers just using washers, I'm going to make 2.5 mm square plates instead that cover the entire base of the mount. Approximately 1 in by 1 in
thesaintusa (02-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 09:35 AM

2014 E63S
This should be stickied and thrown into the common problems thread since there looks to be a fix. @PeterUbers
Old 02-09-2021, 07:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,472 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
This should be stickied and thrown into the common problems thread since there looks to be a fix. @PeterUbers
buddy it's been in my sticky for some time now

thesaintusa (02-09-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 08:05 AM

poop
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
buddy it's been in my sticky for some time now

Its understandable why we didn't recognize it by that title. Thought that was for some front suspension issue or engine noise. even the thread it links says it only happens between 30-40. Not sure how 50+ got in the title
Its definitely not clicking from the front end, Its very audible as you get closer to the floorboard in the back seat.
Like other here have said, sounds like a baseball card in the spokes.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,472 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Its understandable why we didn't recognize it by that title. Thought that was for some front suspension issue or engine noise. even the thread it links says it only happens between 30-40. Not sure how 50+ got in the title
Its definitely not clicking from the front end, Its very audible as you get closer to the floorboard in the back seat.
Like other here have said, sounds like a baseball card in the spokes.
ok - I can modify it - what would you like the title to be?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2016 E63S Clicking Sound - Help!!!!