Sponsored by:

Which downpipes to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Higher EGV is only material where you are trying to improve scavenging effects of the exhaust design by increasing velocity, predominately on naturally aspirated cars, and even then it will have barely any impact. Turbos don't care. Give a turbo the biggest diameter, shortest length pipe possible and its happiest.

Would be great if people would stop trying to pretend they are smart, and actually provide the op with an experience based opinion....

Given he has an AWD car, weistec (or any turbo back) is out of the question. That means that any mid pipe style DP is in play. Frankly Catted DP's are not worth doing since you will mostly be getting a slight sound increase with little performance benefit. You might as well do an axle back or muffler delete for that. All mid pipe DP's provide approximately the same benefits. Go with cheapest option, or get local exhaust shop to custom make one for you for half the price of most of the off the shelf ones.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Higher EGV is only material where you are trying to improve scavenging effects of the exhaust design by increasing velocity, predominately on naturally aspirated cars, and even then it will have barely any impact. Turbos don't care. Give a turbo the biggest diameter, shortest length pipe possible and its happiest.

Would be great if people would stop trying to pretend they are smart, and actually provide the op with an experience based opinion....

Given he has an AWD car, weistec (or any turbo back) is out of the question. That means that any mid pipe style DP is in play. Frankly Catted DP's are not worth doing since you will mostly be getting a slight sound increase with little performance benefit. You might as well do an axle back or muffler delete for that. All mid pipe DP's provide approximately the same benefits. Go with cheapest option, or get local exhaust shop to custom make one for you for half the price of most of the off the shelf ones.
I don't agree. Most axlebacks mufflers for the E63 S actually cost MORE than what I paid for the brand new catted downpipes (I paid $1,700 shipped and the RENNtech mufflers cost nearly $1K more). And the 200 Cell cats are more likely to improve exhaust flow than a muffler. I have done custom exhausts and even muffler deletes only to be disappointed with drone/annoying resonance.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Muffler delete does not sound that bad on these cars. You can have an axle back made for less than $500. No need to pay the MB tax to vendors selling you **** anybody can do. DPs and exhaust are not magic. Any one can make them. I gaurantee you catted DPs will make little to no more than a custom axle back
Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
C63 S AMG 2016

There are several good posts here in this thread, but this one was a great one, with valuable information!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Muffler delete does not sound that bad on these cars. You can have an axle back made for less than $500. No need to pay the MB tax to vendors selling you **** anybody can do. DPs and exhaust are not magic. Any one can make them. I gaurantee you catted DPs will make little to no more than a custom axle back
From personal experience, I have done custom exhausts and have regretted it each time afterwards. I know they were different platforms but the drone was terrible. Yes I saved money compared to buying a name brand, but essentially threw money away when I ended up sending the exhausts to the scrap yard and bought aftermarket pieces and reinstalled the stock mufflers.

What are you guaranteeing with your statement?

Last edited by TMC M5; 03-15-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
A cookie?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:54 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS63, S55
The turbochargers are your mufflers why have 2 more in the back?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
If your going to do downpipes I think it only really makes sense to do catless or don't bother with them at all as catted gains are minimal.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
A cookie?
If it is a white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie, I might have to do some before and after dynos and vbox testing!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
A man after my own heart...2 cookies it is!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
So far I've had a great experience with my WFO Downpipes they fit like a glove, they have custom Dents strategically placed in the Downpipe for maximum turbulence hahahah.

I think some folks over think things way to much. I'm sure at around 800HP the need for true 3" downpipes would be necessary. My car seems to work really well with this $100 setup. Just food for thought. Someone say cookies??
Attached Thumbnails Which downpipes to buy?-img_4097.jpg   Which downpipes to buy?-img_4113.jpg   Which downpipes to buy?-img_4114.jpg   Which downpipes to buy?-img_4112.jpg  
Old 03-17-2017, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
CRUSH BENDS!!! Have you no shame!
Old 03-17-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
CRUSH BENDS!!! Have you no shame!
Crush bends are the only way to get maximum restriction and turbulence! There is no substitute!!