Sponsored by:

2014 E63s Wet Clutch Adaption and Driving Adaption Dealer service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
Originally Posted by sunil517
Before all this I would put my car into drive/reverse and I can tell you I am sure I could step of of the car and it will be there when I get back. I thought that was because of the AWD system. It felt like the hand brk was on.
The car felt like a rock will not move unless you gave it some gas.
NOW I put it into drive she rolls reverse NO gas...
I am not speak of Turbo lag. I am talk about how long does it feel to have the gear engaged and not moving unless you gas it...

Anyone in NYC area we can meet up.
I know of a 15 63 in the area and I will reach out and swap cars and note difference. My paddle shift is way better that was the worst.
+1 not talking about turbo lag but, gear engagement.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Amg63-
are you sure about this and is it also true for the 15-16 cls63 amgs?
the only thing that mb had a problem with was the clutch and it was updated. The older ones were jerky and mb techs had a hard time adapting.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
when you get a chance ... try this...

when slowing down abruptly for a stop... before you come to 5 mph, jump back on the gas and accelerate ... does it jerk?
Peter - the test scenario you describe here is exactly what high lights the 1/2 lag for the trans to respond after hitting the gas in my car. there is a slight jerk once the trans engages. i can actually mash the pedal nearly to the floor quickly in that 1/2 second and nothing happens.

with that said - if i come to a complete stop, let the trans engage in 1st and slightly roll then mash the gas it launches pretty good. not as good as race start or brake torque but at least no lag.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by nikon
2015-2016 cars have an updated clutch. It's slightly quicker. For example, if I reset transmission adaptations, there's absolutely no lag while taking off. If the car is driven grandma style for a while and adapts to that style, then a slight lag can be felt in comfort setting (my observations). My transmission shifts really well. A buddy of mine has a 2014 and yes it feels different all around. Even after it has been reset.
Nikon - when you say "reset transmission adaptations" do you mean the ECU reset trick where you put the key to position 2 (not started) press accelerator pedal to kickdown and hold for 5 seconds, release pedal, then turn key to position 1 and wait 2-3 mins so the transmission adaptation is reset??? or how are you doing this?
Old 04-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by jvakos
Peter - the test scenario you describe here is exactly what high lights the 1/2 lag for the trans to respond after hitting the gas in my car. there is a slight jerk once the trans engages. i can actually mash the pedal nearly to the floor quickly in that 1/2 second and nothing happens.

with that said - if i come to a complete stop, let the trans engage in 1st and slightly roll then mash the gas it launches pretty good. not as good as race start or brake torque but at least no lag.
so, Sunil you still have the annoying jerk with stop and go. This is my point; your car wouldn't move at idle ... none of us had that problem ... my car moves at idle just fine. You had a different issue and I'm very glad it's fixed

your stop and go scenario is still my contention with this mct and that cannot be dialed out. If I let off the gas after being at a total stop and then allow a 1/2 second for gear engagement the I have no lag either.

the "I hit the gas and nothing happens" scenario still happens in your car. That's just an mct trait and I actually drive my car quite happily because my foot-brain has learned to account for that and this has made my driving experience more enjoyable

thanks for sharing Sunil
Old 04-25-2017, 05:16 PM

E 63 AMG S
Originally Posted by jvakos
Nikon - when you say "reset transmission adaptations" do you mean the ECU reset trick where you put the key to position 2 (not started) press accelerator pedal to kickdown and hold for 5 seconds, release pedal, then turn key to position 1 and wait 2-3 mins so the transmission adaptation is reset??? or how are you doing this?
Disconnect the battery or use DAS
Old 04-25-2017, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Astolfo
This is funny! Sunil does not know how his car was before and after.. being sarcastic here!
Why is it so difficult to accept reality? If the gears and clutch are not properly aligned IT WILL take longer to find the correct position. I think the translation is hunting for alignment. 2015 and early 2016 have common components and software, mid and late 16 have a few unique parts and software.
Nothing like proving negative...
You don't believe me? ask your dealer to do a Bit compare between the files and get back to me.
we confirmed the clutch was updated for the 15+ models.

I also saw that for the press release for the facelift 2015 cls63 MB did mention upgraded hardware/software for those year models.

Now your saying they made even further changes to
the MCT in mid-late 2016?

i wonder if a 2015 really feels any different than a late 16
Old 04-25-2017, 05:46 PM

E 63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Amg63-
we confirmed the clutch was updated for the 15+ models.

I also saw that for the press release for the facelift 2015 cls63 MB did mention upgraded hardware/software for those year models.

Now your saying they made even further changes to
the MCT in mid-late 2016?

i wonder if a 2015 really feels any different than a late 16
it doesn't feel any different than a 2016.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 PM

?
it doesn't feel any different than a 2016.

I have both, a 2015 and a late 16. I drive both; both had the clutch and transmission adaptation, they do feel different but not by much but then it is my impression. The 15 is a little slower clunkerier than the 16, the 16 is as or nearly as fast as the 16 GTs' DCT I owned for a few months.

Also this is physical alignment (not talking about turbo lag) so resetting your ECU disconnecting the battery will not do it.

I am as sure as seeing in person at AMG the different parts of the 2015/16.

Last edited by Astolfo; 04-25-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 PM

E 63 AMG S
I have both, a 2015 and a late 16. I drive both; both had the clutch and transmission adaptation, they do feel different but not by much but then it is my impression. The 15 is a little slower clunkerier than the 16, the 16 is as or nearly as fast as the 16 GTs' DCT I owned for a few months.

Also this is physical alignment (not talking about turbo lag) so resetting your ECU disconnecting the battery will not do it.

I'm not referring to turbo lag!
And yes I'm not referring to the physical alignment of the gears and clutch.
What parts have you seen that are different in the tranny of 2015/2016?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by gaspam
^ its even worse in reverse.... so many times i have put it in R trying to get out/ or into a parking spot quickly on the street and trans is like "hold please"
Yeah when I go from forward to reverse I have lag between changing, I think this is normal for this trans ?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 E63S Steel Grey/Beige Nappa, Lexus GX470, Honda Accord
Originally Posted by EddieK
My car is in the shop right now due to very similar issues that the OP mentioned. 'Jerky' transmission at parking lot speeds, lag from a stop, and just general clunkiness at speeds under 30mph. Service advisor called and said that they were doing a wet clutch/transmission adaptation and will road test it tomorrow and will report back. I'll update when I get it back.
Well, dealership called back today to say everything was within spec and that no adaptation was needed. Guess I'll just have to deal with a clunky transmission.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:27 PM

E 63 AMG S
Well, dealership called back today to say everything was within spec and that no adaptation was needed. Guess I'll just have to deal with a clunky transmission.
Do a test drive with the shop foreman. Most of the times they look at the adaptation values through DAS. Is it clunkie when warm, cold, or both
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 PM

Do a test drive with the shop foreman. Most of the times they look at the adaptation values through DAS. Is it clunkie when warm, cold, or both
Both. Service manager said that it was normal operation of a wet clutch transmission. Said that the shop foreman drove the car extensively today and said that it drove 'normal.'
Old 04-26-2017, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG

ok so basically every year the MCT clutch engagement improved from 14+??

from Worst to best it goes 14-15-16?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
10speed correct

Quote:
^ its even worse in reverse.... so many times i have put it in R trying to get out/ or into a parking spot quickly on the street and trans is like "hold please"

Yeah when I go from forward to reverse I have lag between changing, I think this is normal for this trans ?

It would take for ever to the car to engage in the gear selected.
That is now not the case with my car. I found this more when it was cold. I think I two issues related to the trans low ATF and the adaption fixed my issues. Now I have to pay more attention to lag engaging gears. At this point seem very fast. Cold/hot.
I am going to perform the test for Peter 5mph slow down and gas it.
Anyone is NYC PM me take it for a drive
Old 04-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by sunil517
Quote:

It would take for ever to the car to engage in the gear selected.
That is now not the case with my car. I found this more when it was cold. I think I two issues related to the trans low ATF and the adaption fixed my issues. Now I have to pay more attention to lag engaging gears. At this point seem very fast. Cold/hot.
I am going to perform the test for Peter 5mph slow down and gas it.
Anyone is NYC PM me take it for a drive
thank you Sunil
Old 04-26-2017, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
My lag time between reverse and forward gears was completely resolved with an overnight battery disconnect.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:21 PM

?
Both. Service manager said that it was normal operation of a wet clutch transmission. Said that the shop foreman drove the car extensively today and said that it drove 'normal.'
Just an FYI

My Original dealer MB of Seattle told me the exact same thing, then I worked MB of Bellevue and since they did not have a procedure we involved AMG. If there isn't another dealer then write to MB.

I showed my gratitude buy buying another wagon and GTs from MB of Bellevue and made a point to go and show the punks in MB of Seattle.

The important thing is to be able to repro, have videos, then send them. I even sent videos to AMG in Germany.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:26 PM

Just an FYI

My Original dealer MB of Seattle told me the exact same thing, then I worked MB of Bellevue and since they did not have a procedure we involved AMG. If there isn't another dealer then write to MB.

I showed my gratitude buy buying another wagon and GTs from MB of Bellevue and made a point to go and show the punks in MB of Seattle.

The important thing is to be able to repro, have videos, then send them. I even sent videos to AMG in Germany.
Thanks for the info. When I get a chance I plan to go to another dealership. RBM of Atlanta is dead to me now.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:04 AM

final update

Cold Car in C mode into R car is rolling into D car is rolling no gas no delay.
Did a few N to R & N to D no issues with lagging of gear engagement.
Drove oil temp 90s water 140s C mode no issues in S+ would downshift to 1st and you don't feel anything at 5 MPH step on the car it goes, roll to about 5-7 it would go back into 1st. I am able to have in first in S+ and no rocking chair feeling. Once warmed S+ WOT to end of 4th off the gas and rolling all downshift were smooth 3 ,2,1 no jerking only the RPM would bump up at each shift.
What I did notice going into all the modes.. is that when I go from C to s to S+ the RMP is stable but when I go into M the RPM would bump up some.. Only in M. Before the dealer I would start the car and R and have to step on the gas to get it to move R or D.Now cold start R and rolling...

I now have my BMC filters in and no CEL... as of yet.
Now I m going to be looking at tires PSS or AS3+
Old 04-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Glad it's all good now Sunil.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
so, Sunil you still have the annoying jerk with stop and go. This is my point; your car wouldn't move at idle ... none of us had that problem ... my car moves at idle just fine. You had a different issue and I'm very glad it's fixed

your stop and go scenario is still my contention with this mct and that cannot be dialed out. If I let off the gas after being at a total stop and then allow a 1/2 second for gear engagement the I have no lag either.

the "I hit the gas and nothing happens" scenario still happens in your car. That's just an mct trait and I actually drive my car quite happily because my foot-brain has learned to account for that and this has made my driving experience more enjoyable

thanks for sharing Sunil
Peter - I had the adaptation done and a tune, and I 100% still have the lag both at 0 mph when I stomp on it, and if I leave it in gear and slow down to 5mph and floor it. I have a 14 though, so posssibly that makes it worse.

The car is smoother through gears at any speed and way less jerky through parking lots...but the lag is real.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ajs76
Peter - I had the adaptation done and a tune, and I 100% still have the lag both at 0 mph when I stomp on it, and if I leave it in gear and slow down to 5mph and floor it. I have a 14 though, so posssibly that makes it worse.

The car is smoother through gears at any speed and way less jerky through parking lots...but the lag is real.
thanks man

thats what I thought ....
Old 05-01-2017, 04:31 PM

AJS

Hi AJ before the adaption,if you put the car into D/R no gas cold or warm does it start rolling on it own. My car never moved, you hand to give it gas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 E63s Wet Clutch Adaption and Driving Adaption Dealer service