Sponsored by:

E63 amg shifter HELP! Car won't park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 e63 amg
Angry E63 amg shifter HELP! Car won't park

Hello, I'm new to the forums in general so bare with me while I learn how to use this. I'm more active on Facebook because I like quick responses from people. Anyway I know this is a common problem, but mine occurred by spilling coffee in my shifter Specifally my park button.

I need a little black box that is under the black cover that contains a circuit board which is triggered to engage park by the PARK button. It's the box under the black part has PRND written on it. Apparently that part isn't sold individually and MB dealer wants $688 for a whole new shifter with employee price included! Can anyone help me source a used part on eBay or anyone have a new shifter assembly I can buy from them?

I found a part out on a 2015 e63 locally to me and I'm curious as to if that shifter assembly is the same as the 2010. My mechanic told me he saw one that had the exact part number from an e350 but I'm almost positive the w212 e350 has a shifter lever on the steering wheel and not the center console
Old 10-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2015 S550 4MATIC
This thread might help... https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...errerid=317874
Old 06-17-2020, 10:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
E63S
Just for solutions sake, I did the same thing: spilled coffee on the shifter and the park button ceased to work after a few days. It wasnt actually circuit damage though. The button was gummed up and stuck itself in the housing.

I was able to remove the black box (after prying up the shifter cover, there are just 4 screws securing the unit) and pry up the top white cover on the ZF unit under the PRND plate. You can then extract the park button- it was all goopy with coffee residual and not allowing the button to return after pressing.

Simple solution- the button was dropped into a glass of hot water for a few mins (button is all plastic) and the goop dissolved off- also took a tooth brush with minimal liquid on it and cleaned up the button rails on the ZF unit. I reversed the extraction process and the button is like new now!

Hope this helps out any other oops participants.
The following users liked this post:
Rgreenwoode63 (07-10-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
I had the same issue and still need to clean the button...The cheat code for park is Put it in neutral push the brake down to put it in hold. then open the driver door. The vehicle puts itself in park.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by godstopper
I had the same issue and still need to clean the button...The cheat code for park is Put it in neutral push the brake down to put it in hold. then open the driver door. The vehicle puts itself in park.
I've noticed that if you turn off the engine while the car is in drive, it goes to neutral (which I think is dangerious if you're on a hill). But if I have my foot on the brake and open the door, it goes to park?

I've also noticed when parking on a hill, there's a lot of travel after you put the car in park and you let off the brake.

ETA: I was so curious about this I went down to the parking lot and drove my car in a circle. Pulled into the parking space with my foot on the brake and turned the motor off (without pushing the P button). I noticed the car moved into Neutral, but I left my foot on the brake and opened the door. It switched to Park automatically. This will be my new parking routine! Thank you!

Last edited by Blade Canyon; 06-23-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:59 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by Blade Canyon
I've noticed that if you turn off the engine while the car is in drive, it goes to neutral (which I think is dangerious if you're on a hill). But if I have my foot on the brake and open the door, it goes to park?

I've also noticed when parking on a hill, there's a lot of travel after you put the car in park and you let off the brake.

ETA: I was so curious about this I went down to the parking lot and drove my car in a circle. Pulled into the parking space with my foot on the brake and turned the motor off (without pushing the P button). I noticed the car moved into Neutral, but I left my foot on the brake and opened the door. It switched to Park automatically. This will be my new parking routine! Thank you!
I didn't know about the going into neutral thing, thanks.
Yes, car goes into Park if you stop, foot on brake and open door... which I am not quite a fan of. Some times you wanna park closer to curbs and crack open your door to see how close you are to the curb to not mess up your wheels... yeah, I know... that's why they give ya cameras and self tilting side mirror.
I also noticed the amount of travel after you put your car in park on any type of uneven surface. My car got stuck in Park twice when I first got it (new to me) from being parked on a slight inclines. Since then, I ALWAYS shift to Neutral, engage parking brake, let the car roll to full stop and THEN place in Park. Haven't had that problem since (knock on wood). I did take the car to the stealership for this issue, and, of course.... they couldn't reproduce it.
The following users liked this post:
Blade Canyon (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 03:52 PM

2012 E63 AMG
This works even better than I thought. When you're parked, just push the brake hard enough to get the HOLD light and turn the engine off. It goes straight to Park automatically. Even before you open the door. I think this works even if you turn it off first, then press the brake pedal hard enough to get the HOLD.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:06 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by Blade Canyon
This works even better than I thought. When you're parked, just push the brake hard enough to get the HOLD light and turn the engine off. It goes straight to Park automatically. Even before you open the door. I think this works even if you turn it off first, then press the brake pedal hard enough to get the HOLD.
That sounds good. Will definitely give that a try next time.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2020, 12:00 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Just an FYI: Pushing "hard" on the pedal for HOLD function is not necessary. When the car is stopped and your foot is on the brake pedal, just a quick 2nd tap will suffice(quickly lift you foot up 3-5mm and gently press back down)
The following 2 users liked this post by nota_amg:
Blade Canyon (06-24-2020), Rgreenwoode63 (07-10-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 01:06 PM

2012 E63 AMG
I'm discovering that simply holding the brake pedal and turning the engine off is just as likely to go into Neutral as Park, unless you open the door. So don't take your foot off the brake unless you know you're in Park or you might roll downhill while looking for your phone before you open the door.