W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Looking to buy used 14 E63 S model. need your help and expertise!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 e350 coupe
Looking to buy used 14 E63 S model. need your help and expertise!

Last edited by sc3551; 04-26-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Maybe I am off base but I have found that cars with lighter color interiors seem to take a hit more on resale. If you are looking to keep the car, it may not be an issue, but it might be an issue. I would also make sure that with the mileage on the car some of the maintenance items should have been done or will need to be done soon. That could be a pretty big out of pocket expense that should be in the buying decision. I would be hesitant to but a car with that mileage without a PPI.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:58 PM

2012 e350 coupe
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Maybe I am off base but I have found that cars with lighter color interiors seem to take a hit more on resale. If you are looking to keep the car, it may not be an issue, but it might be an issue. I would also make sure that with the mileage on the car some of the maintenance items should have been done or will need to be done soon. That could be a pretty big out of pocket expense that should be in the buying decision. I would be hesitant to but a car with that mileage without a PPI.
Wow i didnt even think about the maintenance. I shall look up maintenance schedule for it and ask about the near previous and future maintenance. Im assuming differential, brake and trans fluid, aside from regular maintenance like tire, pads and oil change.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e55
Personally, I do not trust anything HGreg sells. A lot of accident vehicles that did not get the damage listed on CarFax. Do your research on the vehicle and get a PPI, as these guys are not the most honest guys to deal with.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E63s
I just bought a 2014 E63s. I found that there are several "deals" out there from dealers who bought cars at auction. There is usually only one reason a car is sent to auction. It has issues. The dealer who took it in off lease did the CPO and it failed. Most dealers will keep the good cars and sell them. The bad ones go to auction and end up on the lots of other dealers, typically not MB dealers. I wanted a car that with a CPO warranty and you can only get that from a MB dealer. If you are going to spend 45-60K on a car, make sure you get an extended warranty. My aux battery just failed and is being replaced under warranty....
Old 01-10-2018, 08:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R350 & 2012 CLS550
A couple of thoughts relative to a MB CPO vs non-CPO:
A> CPO seems to typically carry a 10-15% premium. I have never found a MB CPO that has an accident reported/discovered.

B> My personal comfort with a MB non-CPO is wholly based on 3 things and for the amount of $ you're considering I would walk if it failed any of the following:
1> Doesn't have any decent length of factory warranty remaining - to protect against the fact that it is non-CPO.
2> Has bounced around a couple of auctions - usually denotes a problem that a dealer is kicking on to the next auction buyer.
3> A poor pre-purchase inspection - which should be on your dime and from someone you believe is reputable.

The challenge with an E63 is the cost it takes to get "it right" if "it's wrong" or if you attempt to unload it the massive beating you'll take to do so.

FWIW, I have purchased a non-CPO CLS550 from an out-of state dealer that only sells used Mercs and Lexus. CarFax reported an accident with no-frame damage or air bag deployment and one auction transaction from MB financial to the selling dealer. Essentially, it was $7,000 less than I could find for a CPO. It passed a $300 pre-purchase (mechanical & cosmetic) inspection, a paint meter verified the damage points, and the car had 18 months of warranty remaining. 3 years and 50K later all is well.

The point is - please do your homework and know your risks. If you get a nasty surprise on an E63 it will hurt.

Good luck!
Eric
Old 01-12-2018, 12:55 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC63
Originally Posted by embassured
A couple of thoughts relative to a MB CPO vs non-CPO:
A> CPO seems to typically carry a 10-15% premium. I have never found a MB CPO that has an accident reported/discovered.

B> My personal comfort with a MB non-CPO is wholly based on 3 things and for the amount of $ you're considering I would walk if it failed any of the following:
1> Doesn't have any decent length of factory warranty remaining - to protect against the fact that it is non-CPO.
2> Has bounced around a couple of auctions - usually denotes a problem that a dealer is kicking on to the next auction buyer.
3> A poor pre-purchase inspection - which should be on your dime and from someone you believe is reputable.

The challenge with an E63 is the cost it takes to get "it right" if "it's wrong" or if you attempt to unload it the massive beating you'll take to do so.

FWIW, I have purchased a non-CPO CLS550 from an out-of state dealer that only sells used Mercs and Lexus. CarFax reported an accident with no-frame damage or air bag deployment and one auction transaction from MB financial to the selling dealer. Essentially, it was $7,000 less than I could find for a CPO. It passed a $300 pre-purchase (mechanical & cosmetic) inspection, a paint meter verified the damage points, and the car had 18 months of warranty remaining. 3 years and 50K later all is well.

The point is - please do your homework and know your risks. If you get a nasty surprise on an E63 it will hurt.

Good luck!
Eric
i would agree with the above save one point - I’ve seen MB.CPO cars that definitely have undisclosed issues. In fact, I was the unlucky sap who didn’t do a PPI on a CPO E550 only to find out later there were body and trim problems. There has been at least one CPO car that sold to a forum member that I know has issues (name withheld so as not to panic the owner) and I’ve seen terrible cars go through Manheim and presto they become CPO.

I absolutely believe in the value of CPO. In about a month I’m going to buck up for a three year ELW for my car for 6300, and that’s discounted. CPO gets you the same warranty as an ELW for a year and you can buy (refundable) out years for cheap. I would have bought mine CPO but I was presented with a great car for a fair price so I couldn’t say no.

That said, a PPI is an absolute must. You’re not spending 10k on a Civic. For a few hundred the peace of mind is well worth the cost.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 AM

2012 e350 coupe
Thank you guys all for your comments!

So I am currently about to pull the trigger on this one in Florida. It's the same one I mentioned in the beginning, the imported Canadian version.
They just dropped another $1k from already seemingly low price and the dealer seems eager to move (followup calls on a daily basis...)

it is 2014 S model with 55k odo. imported from Canada with few quirks like auto folding mirror, rear heated bench, 3 zone temp control with rear control mounted on front armrest, and residual engine heat feature (very cool) that would not be available in 2014 S model US version.
With only absence of distronics, this car is fully loaded, aside from super premium options like B&O audio, CC Brakes..etc
https://www.hgreg.com/used-car/merce...-for-sale-5492

I have looked at various different local shops that offer PPI and they are priced from $250 to $350 (includes paint thickness test).
Currently, on top of whatever they normally check during PPI, I have came up with following additional list for them to go over:
- Sign of recently replaced brake fluid @40k according to MB maintenance sheet.
- Sign of recently replaced Automatic transmission – oil and filter change (engine 156, 157, 275) @40k according to MB maintenance sheet.
- Rear air suspension wear tear
- Weird mistake, I believe whoever did the conversion from kmh to mph used an incorrect facia for the tachometer (I believe this is from 6.3 V8 NA E63 AMG?). You can see that it does not have S AMG logo, but a regular AMG.
Is the facia possible to swap out? not the mechanism or any computer behind it. Just the correct face that shows S AMG.
And the current face that shows 100 mph at 12 o'clock, instead of 80 mph, is mildly bugging me out...

Is there anything else that I should tell them to specifically go over? any common issues on these cars during 50k+ miles?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:53 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC63
Just keep in mind that if a deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. That said, I can see where any time these cars cross 50k miles they’ll take a hit, so that could be one reason for the price and the fact it’s been sitting. You should also find out how it got from Nebraska to Florida.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E63s
I would have a dealer do the PPI with a full CPO inspection. Most shops do not have the equipment to perform the diagnostics.

At at least you will know what the problems are. Also see if you can get an aftermarket warranty. Once you drive it off the lot, any problem is on you.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
19 RR SVR, 19 E63S, 18 911 Turbo S
Are they going to warranty that car for you? Or is there some sort of existing warranty? I'd be weary of any vehicle well below value not offered from a dealer. I have been burned way to many times in the past.

I also wouldn't take it upon some seller thousands of miles away from you to do all of these inspections you are asking. I bought mine 500 miles away - and I uncovered things in person that they didn't disclose via email or in pictures - and this was an MB dealer! Take a day and do a visual inspection and drive of the vehicle.

If this is going to be anything other than a project car (daily driver, reliability, etc) I would take the proper time to make sure everything to do with the car is in your favor. 44k isn't exactly chump change and you don't want to be stuck with a hunk of metal when the company skates any sort of responsibility because they are thousands of miles away.

I picked up my 2015 E63S under CPO from a dealer in late Sept - and I also posted a thread in this forum and got some REALLY helpful information from some of the members that helped me make my decision. Overall, the comfort of knowing it was a CPO vehicle is what made me drive it off the lot that day.

In my opinion, 55k miles is a lot of miles for a 2014, and if it isn't coming with a factory warranty I would probably keep searching. Also bear in mind the maintenance isn't cheap on these vehicles, there are threads on that as well.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E63S
I am selling a 2014 E63S , please call / text me for more
information 310-699-1791
Old 04-14-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 391 Likes on 271 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Here is the reason

In researching for myself recently I found several Canadian cars. Canadian cars do not have the same warranties, if applicable, and do not benefit from USA recalls.

Please research canadian import deals.

Good luck, this is why it’s a steal. 5-6k deals...
Old 04-14-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by sc3551
First of all I would like to truly thank whoever that can drop any light on this E63 S that is for sale in Florida right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Merced...p2047675.l2557

It is sold by a dealer that has multiple locations in Canada and by running the VIN, I was able to find out that this is a Canadian version, that was imported to the states.
I am aware of the fact that other than CCB upgrade, Distronics and other intelligent sensor in the front grill, it seems pretty loaded.
Since it is a Canadian version, it even comes with:
- auto folding mirror, which didn't exist in US version until 15
- 3 zone temp control unit mounted by the AC vents on the front armrest
- multi level heated seats in the rear (my passengers need this for Chicago weather!)

With price at $45k, it seems like a steal, compared to other 14s in the market right now. The Price seem too good to be true.
So am I missing something here? are there any major options that this car is missing, or maybe low price is due to being Canadian version and it is somehow valued at lower price than US version? I don't see why that would be the case though..
Also if there is anything you would like to chime in regarding this car and buying used E63 (what to look out for during test drive, extended warranty..etc..), or just drop any comment, I'd really appreciate it.
I am already looking into booking my flights to check it out.
It would be a huge upgrade in terms of power and looks from my current 2012 E350 coupe nomatics!
Hey, i looked this car’s vin up on the dealership’s database, which includes info like, every option it is equipped with, repair/maintenance history at the dealership, and so on. I found out that this car is actually a US version, originally sold in Texas. Doesn’t look like anything is wrong with it from what i can see. Miles aren’t rolled back, but i can only tell so much from the dealership records because they are minimal. But, there is zero maintenance records for this car on the dealership database, so if it has had maintenance done on it, it was not at a dealership. Also, this is not a cpo vehicle, and you cannot get a cpo warranty on it sonce it is not a mercedes benz dealership selling it. This can also mean that it may have a slavage title, you can check carfax for that though. If i were you, i would do some more research with carfax, and if that checks out, i would go and check it out in person, and get a pre purchase inspection from a dealership before committing yourself to buying this car. Thats all i can find out, but i wish you luck with this car, and hope everything works out perfectly for you!