Racing Brake ins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Racing Brake ins

It was time to do pads and rotors on my 2012 E63. As I started pricing OEM equipment, even from online sources, it quickly made sense to start looking at aftermarket alternatives. As I started pricing non OEM parts, it made more sense to look at some of the aftermarket performances parts available. That meant Racing Brake and Girodisc. I ended up with the Racing Brake package for all 4 corners that included full floating rotors, their street pads, stainless braided lines, and fluid for about the same price as the cheapest aftermarket OEM replacements. No brainer!

Fitment was fine and install went without any hiccups. I bedded them according to their website but full stopping power wasn’t achieved until the last bit of rotor surface was completely free of the coating and raw tooling/machined surfaces (about 2 days of random driving). I probably could have done some higher speed bedding but the brakes were still more than acceptable for that initial period. Once fully bedded the brakes proved better than OEM. Very slight increase of initial bite with slightly stronger, more linear stopping power. These are their street pads so I didn’t expect a big difference but I’d say braking was improved by about 15% of new OEM pads/rotors and probably a 30% improvement over OEM pads/rotors that are worn beyond 60%. I noticed that after my OEM brakes got down to the last half of their life, they lost a noticeable amount of performance. I’m hoping these won’t have that problem. The OEMs also tend to lose performance and slightly fade after multiple high speed uses but so far these are pretty fade free.

I researched beforehand and a few people said brake dust was about the same as OEM. This was a bit of a concern because brake dust on OEM pads/rotors is absolutely horrendous. I’m VERY glad to report that brake dust is minimal, better than the Akebono pads I ran on the E55s. One week worth of brake dust build up on the rims now is about equal to 1 hour on OEMs (not exaggerating). I am about to do a ceramic coat over the paint and was going to inquire about having my wheels done to decrease brake dust build up. I’m not even concerned anymore. The wheels now stay clean without touch-ups between weekly washes. Even if there wasn’t a performance improvement, this point alone is worth the purchase.

It’s only been a month but so far I’m completely satisfied.
The following 2 users liked this post by chiromikey:
mj_39 (01-19-2018), RacingBrake (01-19-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by chiromikey
It was time to do pads and rotors on my 2012 E63. As I started pricing OEM equipment, even from online sources, it quickly made sense to start looking at aftermarket alternatives. As I started pricing non OEM parts, it made more sense to look at some of the aftermarket performances parts available. That meant Racing Brake and Girodisc. I ended up with the Racing Brake package for all 4 corners that included full floating rotors, their street pads, stainless braided lines, and fluid for about the same price as the cheapest aftermarket OEM replacements. No brainer!

Fitment was fine and install went without any hiccups. I bedded them according to their website but full stopping power wasn’t achieved until the last bit of rotor surface was completely free of the coating and raw tooling/machined surfaces (about 2 days of random driving). I probably could have done some higher speed bedding but the brakes were still more than acceptable for that initial period. Once fully bedded the brakes proved better than OEM. Very slight increase of initial bite with slightly stronger, more linear stopping power. These are their street pads so I didn’t expect a big difference but I’d say braking was improved by about 15% of new OEM pads/rotors and probably a 30% improvement over OEM pads/rotors that are worn beyond 60%. I noticed that after my OEM brakes got down to the last half of their life, they lost a noticeable amount of performance. I’m hoping these won’t have that problem. The OEMs also tend to lose performance and slightly fade after multiple high speed uses but so far these are pretty fade free.

I researched beforehand and a few people said brake dust was about the same as OEM. This was a bit of a concern because brake dust on OEM pads/rotors is absolutely horrendous. I’m VERY glad to report that brake dust is minimal, better than the Akebono pads I ran on the E55s. One week worth of brake dust build up on the rims now is about equal to 1 hour on OEMs (not exaggerating). I am about to do a ceramic coat over the paint and was going to inquire about having my wheels done to decrease brake dust build up. I’m not even concerned anymore. The wheels now stay clean without touch-ups between weekly washes. Even if there wasn’t a performance improvement, this point alone is worth the purchase.

I have girodisc on the CLS63 and racing brake on CL65. Both are great, but overall I'd do the RB setup going forward. Best value and great quality.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Glad to hear the Racing Brakes worked out so far. Plan to do the same in the spring.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'15 Audi RS7
...I researched beforehand and a few people said brake dust was about the same as OEM. This was a bit of a concern because brake dust on OEM pads/rotors is absolutely horrendous. I’m VERY glad to report that brake dust is minimal, better than the Akebono pads I ran on the E55s. One week worth of brake dust build up on the rims now is about equal to 1 hour on OEMs (not exaggerating).....
Where did you hear about "dust was about the same as OEM"?? I did a ton of research before buying the RB setup, and I didn't see any of these "reports." I'm just curious, that's all. My RB setup isn't 100% dust free, but it's 99% better than OEM. So much better that it's just not a concern at all. The rest of the car gets dirtier faster than the wheels!
Old 01-20-2018, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by omega_jeff
Where did you hear about "dust was about the same as OEM"?? I did a ton of research before buying the RB setup, and I didn't see any of these "reports." I'm just curious, that's all. My RB setup isn't 100% dust free, but it's 99% better than OEM. So much better that it's just not a concern at all. The rest of the car gets dirtier faster than the wheels!
I read so many reviews that I can’t remember them all but I think this was one of them...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post7336185
Old 01-20-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S

Did you check weight difference between oem and rb rotorsby any chance?
Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 PM

'15 Audi RS7

I read so many reviews that I can’t remember them all but I think this was one of them...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post7336185
It's odd that person had brake dust problems with the RB pads. My experience has been completely different.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:23 PM

'15 Audi RS7
Originally Posted by nikon

Did you check weight difference between oem and rb rotorsby any chance?
RacingBrake has already done that for you here: Rotor Weight Difference
Old 01-20-2018, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As Jeff pointed out, it’s already been done and I didn’t bother...but it’s definitely noticeable.

After having some time with these, I too am surprised about the dust comments. The reduction of brake dust is massive!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S
As Jeff pointed out, it’s already been done and I didn’t bother...but it’s definitely noticeable.

After having some time with these, I too am surprised about the dust comments. The reduction of brake dust is massive!
Originally Posted by omega_jeff
RacingBrake has already done that for you here: Rotor Weight Difference

Thank You both!
Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
They are bulletproof brakes. Ran them for a half decade and beat on them mercilessly, never skipped a beat