Sponsored by:

Need Help - Headlight Level Sensor, Airmatic Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
Unhappy Need Help - Headlight Level Sensor, Airmatic Malfunction

Hey guys/gals. Sorry I have been posting a good bit to the forums lately abut this topic but I'm really struggling to figure this out, as my local MB shop has been worthless. I have searched but found nothing regarding headlight / suspension level sensor malfunctions. There is a part (006 542 83 18), that monitors the height of the vehicle, mine is not sending any mV back to the ECU, so it is giving an error.

I need three answers:

1: Could this malfunction be why my airmatic is not working?, There is no air suspension in the front so I wouldn't think so, but no other suspension related codes are active.
2: How can I troubleshoot the sensor, IE how do I know if voltage is coming into/leaving the sensor?
3: If there is no voltage coming into the sensor, how can I track the wire back to the next connection, to see if there is a break there.

My plan of attack,

Take the passenger side sensor off and put it on the driver side to see if any voltage is leaving the unit (I can test this with an OBD2 reader)
If that fixes the issue, try and find a replacement. There are some being sold over seas (used) on Ebay. But I wish I knew if other models' sensors where compatible for the W212.
If no voltage is coming into the sensor, I'll start tearing into the engine compartment looking to see where the wire leads. (on a separate note, my right turn signal is going in and out?, maybe I have a wiring problem affecting multiple systems?)
Old 05-01-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Most of them
Hate that i really have no valuable information to provide, but i wish you the best of luck. Weird problem you have there.

On my '10 e63, my airmatic malfunction message ended up being a split in the main air line running from the compressor to the valve block. Replaced that line and the two fittings, all is back to normal.

Not sure about the other issues though.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 755 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
"1: Could this malfunction be why my airmatic is not working?, There is no air suspension in the front so I wouldn't think so, but no other suspension related codes are active."
Yes.
"2: How can I troubleshoot the sensor, IE how do I know if voltage is coming into/leaving the sensor?"
Connect to STAR. It will tell you if it is an open or shorted wire or faulty sensor. You can monitor sensor actual values; you should see the voltage change by bouncing the bumper up and down.
"3: If there is no voltage coming into the sensor, how can I track the wire back to the next connection, to see if there is a break there."
Use WIS to study the schematic and to locate connector and ground locations.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:51 AM

2010 E63 AMG
Alright, so I took the passenger side sensor off and plugged it into the driver side terminal, BOOM its sending voltage. So I purchased a new sensor straight from Germany, I will update you all when it gets installed. (will arrive late May )

Thanks dinman and bbirdwell for the responses and well wishes.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM

2010 E63 AMG
Talking Solved

Got the sensor used from Germany, put it on and problem solved. No more Malfunction warning and the Suspension button works.

For those that might have this problem, don't be fooled when it part is described as "headlight level sensor", although it might adjust the headlight it also controls the suspension.

Cheers-
Old 05-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
None currently
Originally Posted by WV E63 AMG
Got the sensor used from Germany, put it on and problem solved. No more Malfunction warning and the Suspension button works.

For those that might have this problem, don't be fooled when it part is described as "headlight level sensor", although it might adjust the headlight it also controls the suspension.

Cheers-
Glad it's solved for you! Curious how much the sensor was?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:50 PM

2010 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by dn325ci
Glad it's solved for you! Curious how much the sensor was?
Local MB said it was $400

Other new OEM parts sites said it was $225

But someone in Germany had a used one for ~$60. Shipped.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:01 PM

E63s
Originally Posted by WV E63 AMG

Cheers-

Thank you so much this tread has saved me , having similar issue with 2016 E63s whereas the rear airbags doesn’t inflate at all , tested relay circuit installed new bags and pump and tried calibrating vehicle with icarsoft only to see error message only to see sensor values out of specified range.
Voltages on sensor ranges 1.5v with sag on right rear side and 3.6v with sag on left rear side. Based on raising car height with jack I’ve realized that when raising the car voltages would increase from 1.5v at bottom out low upwards to tell control the tire height
prior to this car would sit lower on driver rear side than of passenger rear side also the suspension button is stuck on one LED and cannot change. I’ve ordered new headlight sensor for left rear , I’ll update this post and let you all know if the Airmatic comes back here are the pics of unbalanced rear end.

I’ve read through the e63s w212 service manual and the Airmatic control has a lockout feature that it knows when the car is on jack to prevent Airmatic operation if the sensor is reading that tire is high or voltage is at 3.6v and other is 1.5 v in bottom Sag position it’s gonna think car is on jack and refuse to calibrate one can also assume suspension will not adjust

Last edited by Shariqbull; 01-02-2022 at 03:11 PM.