Sponsored by:

Turbo Back Downpipe Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:15 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
I think the "bridge pipe" makes some power. However it also comes in at a higher price. Our downpipes are at the $1500-1700 price point pending sales discounts. We could very easily make a "bridge pipe" But that would include machining cost , and more build labor. Inturn making our downpipes cost more. We wanted to keep this simple, Our downpipes only take 20 minutes to install and if you want to reinstall your OEM system that only take about 20 min as well. This will save a person many hours of install time ($$$) Weistec makes nice stuff, but we believe we doo as well. Our construction is 16 gauge 304 stainless, Id imagine the same as our friends over at Weistec use. We just dont to the bridge pipe, but if someone wanted it we would make it for them.
To be fair, that weistec engine with the red pipe from weistec is the there water methanol injection setup. That on a car is worth a bunch of power.
Yup and that’s why we went with the MBH set up on the E63s. Simple, quick and same day turn around.

No meth and/or water was sprayed on that video since he was still waiting for his boost juice from snow performance to arrive in the mail
Old 07-02-2019, 01:49 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 CLS63 S AMG
These two pictures are a huge help. I just ordered the boost logic turbopipes and will be putting them in with ECE engine mounts later this month. I just wanted to thank you for sharing and for showing a lot of the non believers how these do make power, whether they'd like to pretend it's not them avoiding the cost or not.

It's unfortunate that even in AMG cars MB decided to cheap out on the exhaust manifold and put the same tiny exhaust exit on their full fledged AMG cars, this is very similar to what they did on the 55K years ago. A massive shell with a tiny pipe inside. It's likely for heat control but there's a lot of different ways they could've approached this for better performance.

[QUOTE=Das_it16;7792697]

Oem motor mount on the left Weistec billet engine mounts to fit the turbo backs

Stock vs turbo back
Old 07-02-2019, 02:02 AM

2004 E55 AMG
[QUOTE=CerBErusM113;7792776]These two pictures are a huge help. I just ordered the boost logic turbopipes and will be putting them in with ECE engine mounts later this month. I just wanted to thank you for sharing and for showing a lot of the non believers how these do make power, whether they'd like to pretend it's not them avoiding the cost or not.

It's unfortunate that even in AMG cars MB decided to cheap out on the exhaust manifold and put the same tiny exhaust exit on their full fledged AMG cars, this is very similar to what they did on the 55K years ago. A massive shell with a tiny pipe inside. It's likely for heat control but there's a lot of different ways they could've approached this for better performance.

Originally Posted by Das_it16

Oem motor mount on the left Weistec billet engine mounts to fit the turbo backs

Stock vs turbo back

Glad I can help

If you’re RWD then those boost logic tubro backs should work. Also Shardul I believe still sells RWD turbo backs and so does Tony over at Race IQ Performance. So many options to choose from.

If you're AWD you will need the billet engine mounts from Weistec so they clear. Or just get the whole system from
Weistec in one shot.

Kleeman also sells a similar turbo back that uses the OEM engine mounts. I would call Cory at Kleemann USA on pricing for those.

Double check with Ahmad if his ECE mounts will
fit with turbo backs. But I believe they will on RWD applications only.

Here’s some more photos I took.

Last edited by Das_it16; 07-02-2019 at 02:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CerBErusM113 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 09:06 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
Appreciate the help and I literally just ordered them prior to that post. They look good quality from every picture I have seen of them and, they're ceramic coated and come with heat shielding as well. Additionally, my stock engine mounts are shot so I'm going with the ECE's because I don't want to have to do this again. Also Ahmad does have a set of AWD mounts that fit and plan on modifying the pipes once the engine has been removed. I saw a post on here from another member and he stated it required just a slight bend to be put in the pipe for it to clear completely. I know I may loose a little bit of performance but I think that slight risk outweighs paying $4k for an Engine Mount bracket for my 4matic. I'm not reinventing the wheel with this but, I know I am going down the road less travelled having to have these slightly modified. I will keep you all updated with my progress and provide pictures so that anyone in the future can have more information. Sadly I won't be able to do a before and after dyno of the pipes since this was spurn by the need for engine mounts :-(
Das_it16 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 01:37 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CerBErusM113
Appreciate the help and I literally just ordered them prior to that post. They look good quality from every picture I have seen of them and, they're ceramic coated and come with heat shielding as well. Additionally, my stock engine mounts are shot so I'm going with the ECE's because I don't want to have to do this again. Also Ahmad does have a set of AWD mounts that fit and plan on modifying the pipes once the engine has been removed. I saw a post on here from another member and he stated it required just a slight bend to be put in the pipe for it to clear completely. I know I may loose a little bit of performance but I think that slight risk outweighs paying $4k for an Engine Mount bracket for my 4matic. I'm not reinventing the wheel with this but, I know I am going down the road less travelled having to have these slightly modified. I will keep you all updated with my progress and provide pictures so that anyone in the future can have more information. Sadly I won't be able to do a before and after dyno of the pipes since this was spurn by the need for engine mounts :-(
Definitely keep us posted on the build! Here's a comparison of how Kleenman did their AWD and RWD tubro backs.

AWD turbo backs

RWD turbo backs
Old 07-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
M3, E55, cls63
Im super happy with mine fitment and quality was great I went ahead and heat wrapped mine as well on top of the ceramic coating. Your throttle response is going to be much better and they sound insane much more turbo noise then just the cat delete pipes. I’m sure the stock bridge pipe is fine but on a tuned car running 20+ psi I’m sure the extra flow will add a little power and increase turbo life.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:15 PM

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3

Glad I can help

If you’re RWD then those boost logic tubro backs should work. Also Shardul I believe still sells RWD turbo backs and so does Tony over at Race IQ Performance. So many options to choose from.

If you're AWD you will need the billet engine mounts from Weistec so they clear. Or just get the whole system from
Weistec in one shot.

Kleeman also sells a similar turbo back that uses the OEM engine mounts. I would call Cory at Kleemann USA on pricing for those.

Double check with Ahmad if his ECE mounts will
fit with turbo backs. But I believe they will on RWD applications only.

Here’s some more photos I took.

I have Weistec Downpipe installed.
And my engine mount is giving up now.

Will i be able to just have stock Engine mount installed ?
Or do i really have to go with Weistec Low Profile Mount ?

(Their Mounts cost $999 a pair)

Last edited by cocobeex; 07-03-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:20 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cocobeex
I have Weistec Downpipe installed.
And my engine mount is giving up now.

Will i be able to just have stock Engine mount installed ?
Or do i really have to go with Weistec Low Profile Mount ?

(Their Mounts cost $999 a pair)
The weistec mounts are the same part number as the original mounts, they just modify an original set by cutting the top off and drilling/tapping a hole for the new upper bolt.
CerBErusM113 (12-25-2022)
Old 07-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 393 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
Bridge pipes for the win!
The following 2 users liked this post by VictoryRoadPerformance:
CerBErusM113 (07-18-2019), cls5504matic (09-20-2020)
Old 07-05-2019, 01:33 PM

The weistec mounts are the same part number as the original mounts, they just modify an original set by cutting the top off and drilling/tapping a hole for the new upper bolt.
wow....that a lot mark up if they just modify original mount.

I don't have tools to modify it.
Is it easy to do for most of the shop ?
Old 07-08-2019, 04:43 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG

ECE AWD Engine Mount
Honestly, I don't think that's exactly right either. The Weistec AWD Engine mounts are stock RWD mounts. The RWD mount bolts into the top vertically while the AWD mount runs a bolt through it horizontally.

The Weistec mounts are completely stock parts with a top vertical bolt AND new bracket supports that bolt to the engine. Hence the absurd mark up from RWD to AWD Bridge Pipes.

Also think about it cost wise, why modify 2 parts when you can just modify one?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:11 AM

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts
2013 E550
So what exactly is involved in installing bridge pipes in a RWD car?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:43 AM

Just found this video.

And how da heck this guy is on Stock Mount with Weistec DownPipe ?

Old 07-18-2019, 12:23 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
He looks to be RWD. I don't see a front axle anywhere on that subframe.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:42 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
Beginning Turboback Pipes Install

Hey guys,

Just so you know. I have begun to Turbo back pipe install on my 14 E63 4matic. I chose to use the ECE engine mounts for the all-wheel-drive E63 as well as the Boost Logic Turbopipes. According to my installer the engine mounts can be done without actually removing the engine and lifting it and disconnecting the subframe.

But since I'm putting in the turbo pipes the engine has to come out completely to line it up and modify the pipes to work with the all wheel drive platform. That being said I plan on taking lots of pictures and measurements of these pipes so even though I have to take my motor out, maybe some of you can save the money and just get the pipes modified to work on your E63s from my specs and just drop your subframes for your installs.

My intentions are to help anyone who wants to do these in the future and stop this ridiculous thought that the stock piping somehow makes the same power as a 3" exhaust pipe. Although Weistecs AWD pipes are expensive because of the mounts and bracket, they do add power. Regardless, here are some of the pictures of the engine removal. More to come soon of the pipe modifications as well.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:31 AM

Hey guys,

Just so you know. I have begun to Turbo back pipe install on my 14 E63 4matic. I chose to use the ECE engine mounts for the all-wheel-drive E63 as well as the Boost Logic Turbopipes. According to my installer the engine mounts can be done without actually removing the engine and lifting it and disconnecting the subframe.

But since I'm putting in the turbo pipes the engine has to come out completely to line it up and modify the pipes to work with the all wheel drive platform. That being said I plan on taking lots of pictures and measurements of these pipes so even though I have to take my motor out, maybe some of you can save the money and just get the pipes modified to work on your E63s from my specs and just drop your subframes for your installs.

My intentions are to help anyone who wants to do these in the future and stop this ridiculous thought that the stock piping somehow makes the same power as a 3" exhaust pipe. Although Weistecs AWD pipes are expensive because of the mounts and bracket, they do add power. Regardless, here are some of the pictures of the engine removal. More to come soon of the pipe modifications as well.

Does that mean ECE mount will also work with AWD Weistec Downpipe !?!?!?

btw, good eye on my previous post, it was RWD CLS63
Old 07-18-2019, 07:28 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
Partially, It actually means the ECE mounts will work with any turbopipes, but the pipes have to be modified. Weistec doesn't make special engine mounts, they make a special bracket and use RWD mounts for the AWD kit as well.

Hence my whole point of this post. I'll get the measurements and specific pics of what has to be modified on the pipes to clear the AWD engine mounts so that others can do it for a cheaper cost instead of, pretending these dont make power because they don't wanna pay for labor.

Originally Posted by cocobeex
Does that mean ECE mount will also work with AWD Weistec Downpipe !?!?!?

btw, good eye on my previous post, it was RWD CLS63
Old 07-18-2019, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Why does Weistec charge so much?? Have you heard the story of the old mechanic with a hammer and the very old diesel ship that wouldn't run?
Old 07-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 393 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
For a RWD vehicle our Downpipes are install with engine in, can be done in about 4 hours AWD cars will soon be able to be done as well with our custom mount setup. We are working on a 2 piece Mount bracket that should make this possible
sevse7en (08-27-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 05:21 PM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
Originally Posted by VictoryRoadPerformance
For a RWD vehicle our Downpipes are install with engine in, can be done in about 4 hours AWD cars will soon be able to be done as well with our custom mount setup. We are working on a 2 piece Mount bracket that should make this possible

That is exactly what I am waiting for. Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by kponti
Why does Weistec charge so much??
Weistec is trying to be WEISTEC!! Thats all
Old 07-19-2019, 01:33 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
To be honest, so few companies sell Turbo bridge pipes that I don't actually get bothered that Weistec charges so much for theirs. They are pretty top notch, even the AWD turbopipes. I understand the increased cost with the bracket for the engine mounts and RWD mounts. It's understandable,...

What I don't understand is other companies marketing Downpipes/midpipes that delete the primary cats and are 3" pipes with 3 bends in them and a reduced to the stock bridge pipe and charging upwards of $1500 for it. That is ****ing mind boggling IMO.

I know a lot of work is top notch but I could get a full catback exhaust made for cheaper than that and get the same quality.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:19 PM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
Turboback Pipes and Tune

Good Evening gentlemen! So I got my car back from my shop on Friday and have a few impressions of the mods and some observations as well.

1. I'm curious, to the ones who believe the stock bridge pipe somehow flows as much air as a 3" turbopipe or makes as much power, what exactly are you smoking? Or injecting?

2. To what extent of denial are you in that you can't just admit that "Yes, this is expensive, I cannot afford it" but instead post ridiculous assumptions and ignoring general physics about how nearly every F/I car operates?

3. I apologize to those who have spent upwards of $1500 on 3" cat delete pipes that make your car increase sound but don't let it compete with the competition when they delete their cats. And generally sorry for being a dick but, let's be real, I've heard over and over again that these pipes aren't worth the time and it tends to bug me that some people seem to have already given up on this platform. This motor is still in a few AMGs and it is phenomenal and IMO has the rudest and most overpowering exhaust note when modified.

Now onto the good. When I drove the vehicle originally in Baltimore it had horrendous lag and the transmission felt a little unsure of itself in slow driving. I would rather have to kick it down or really step into the throttle to get it to move, after driving back to VA around 60 miles on the highway it started to drive smoother. The next day was better after a throttle reset for 3 minutes. The car's MCT felt like a Torque converter in a lot of stop and go traffic. I was hopeful but still had that lag which I attributed to tuning.

The power on the other hand was definitely more substantial as well as the noise, the car sounds like a w204 C63 with cat deletes. It wasn't scary up top but it has been 90+ degrees here. Come around 2 today when my tuner sent me my tune, I work with Eurocharged Jerry has been very good to me I've gotten multiple tunes from him over the years. (But not here to compare tuners) I loaded the tune via a MyGenius and drove in slight rush hour home from my office in 94° temps. The change in throttle response, immediate boost and even downshifts is abrupt. I noticed I floored it from a right turn and felt the tires break traction immediately shifting to 2nd. The change in lower speed driving is about as different going from stock to a stage 1 or 2 tune it just feels so much more athletic and willing to Rev, it has a very M156 feel but with punishing Torque. At less than 50% pedal movement, it had about the same thrust as when it was stage 2 tuned and catless but in 90° temps. I even found myself backing off the throttle more than usual. The power feels effortless, to the point that rest on the throttle keeps up with traffic and you can feel the car building boost and starting to thrust forward. And the MCT seemed to decrease that hesitation, but that could be the tune more than the pipes. That being said so far I only had one time to really step on it through 3rd. I have a spot before my neighborhood that I usually can go WOT and I found myself about 10mph faster than previously with room to spare, it actually shifted into 3rd and pulled a little before I had to let off. I have yet to get a highway pull since I just loaded this 2 hours ago. So I will continue to update but honestly, I haven't seen many members talk about their mods other than deleting cats so I wanted to give more input on this option. While it was expensive, it definitely has been my favorite mod I've done by far. Hope this helps some make a informed choice in the future

Last edited by CerBErusM113; 08-07-2019 at 12:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CerBErusM113:
AB550 (08-07-2019), cocobeex (08-06-2019), sevse7en (08-27-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Now onto the good. When I drove the vehicle originally in Baltimore it had horrendous lag and the transmission felt a little unsure of itself in slow driving. I would rather have to kick it down or really step into the throttle to get it to move, after driving back to VA around 60 miles on the highway it started to drive smoother. The next day was better after a throttle reset for 3 minutes. The car's MCT felt like a Torque converter in a lot of stop and go traffic. I was hopeful but still had that lag which I attributed to tuning.
Nice write up!!
Try WOT in a tunnel. You'll love it more.

btw, Throttle reset for 3 mins.
how did you do it ?

And Was the ECE mounted with stock bracket ? or Weistec Bracket ?

Last edited by cocobeex; 08-06-2019 at 10:09 PM.
CerBErusM113 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 10:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
E 63 AMG S
Good Evening gentlemen! So I got my car back from my shop on Friday and have a few impressions of the mods and some observations as well.

1. I'm curious, to the ones who believe the stock bridge pipe somehow flows as much air as a 3" turbopipe or makes as much power, what exactly are you smoking? Or injecting?

2. To what extent of denial are you in that you can't just admit that "Yes, this is expensive, I cannot afford it" but instead post ridiculous assumptions and ignoring general physics about how nearly every F/I car operates?

3. I apologize to those who have spent upwards of $1500 on 3" cat delete pipes that make your car increase sound but don't let it compete with the competition when they delete their cars. And generally sorry for being a dick but, let's be real, I've heard over and over again that these pipes aren't worth the time and it tends to bug me that some people down have already given up on this platform.

The power on the other hand was definitely more substantial as well as the noise, the car sounds like a w204 C63 with cat deletes. It wasn't scary up top but it has been 90+ degrees here. Come around 2 today when my tuner sent me my tune, I work with your charged Jerry has been very good to me I've gotten multiple tunes from him over the years. (But not here to compare tuners) I loaded the team via a MyGenius and drove in slight rush hour home from my office in 94° temps. The change in throttle response, immediate boost and even downshifts is abrupt. I noticed I floored it from a right turn and felt the tires break traction immediately shifting to 2nd. The change in lower speed driving is about as different going from stock to a stage 1 or 2 tune it just feels so much more athletic and willing to Rev, it has a very M156 feel but with punishing Torque. At less than 50% pedal movement, it had about the same thrust as when it was stage 2 tuned and catless but in 90° temps. I even found myself backing off the throttle more than usual. The power feels effortless, to the point that rest on the throttle keeps up with traffic and you can feel the car building boost and starting to thrust forward. And the MCT seemed to decrease that hesitation, but that could be the tune more than the pipes. That being said so far I only had one time to really step on it through 3rd. I have a spot before my neighborhood that I usually can go WOT and I found myself about 10mph faster than previously with room to spare, it actually shifted into 3rd and pulled a little before I had to let off. I have yet to get a highway pull since I just loaded this 2 hours ago. So I will continue to update but honestly, I haven't seen many members talk about their mods other than deleting cats so I wanted to give more input on this option. While it was expensive, it definitely has been my favorite mod I've done by far. Hope this helps some make a informed choice in the future

Nice write up! Thanks for sharing. I was ready to pull the trigger on these 2 years ago and didn’t simply for the lack of info.
The following 2 users liked this post by nikon:
CerBErusM113 (08-07-2019), sevse7en (08-27-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Back Downpipe Install