Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014-15 E63S owners feedback - looking to buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
ok know at 50kmiles and still no major issues... just did pads all around and rear rotors, Dealer quoted $3k .... OEM Parts sourced for approx $750. I understand the dealer has to make a buck, but this took me 2 hours with a friend, Arm was still in a sling.... so I instructed and he did. $2,250 in labor ? come on...

Pretty Straight forward other then a procedure with the key to get the parking brake to release.... took a few minutes on you tube to find it...
Old 05-02-2019, 12:36 PM

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
youre calling the kettle black: this is the Internet -- it's rife with paranoia and conspiracy theories.

Forums as you know are usually saturated with disgruntled people or people with new problems with their cars and obviously doesn't reflect the vast majority of owners.

Also your personal experience of a low maintenance and reliable w211 doesn't necessarily confer the same predictable future to a guy who is buying a used m157 that we have no idea how it was maintained or driven. When things go wrong they go wrong bad and is expensive. Airmatic problems, for example, are expensive as are pano roof problems which are far more common than m157 engine problems.

thats why I like to give people a list of know issues on this platform vs giving the blanket statement that they should just set money aside and it'll all work out. I see where you're coming from and statistically you are correct.
I have a high mileage tune, downpipe, meth m157 as well my daily commute is close to 100 miles round trip. My M157 car is slightly more expensive to maintain than the W211 but some of you guys act like this is an early 90's Italian supercar. The most expensive repair I've had to date on the m157 was both high pressure fuel pumps. Just keep up with general and preventative maintenance. Of course these are not Honda's or Toyota's and there's always going to be a risk owning a german car out of warranty. I also agree the forum is where everyone posts their horror stories but compared to other cars in its class the e63/cls63 is holding up fine.
The following users liked this post:
lvevo (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,148 Likes on 601 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
I bought a 2016 CPO last year So far all warranty:

Lower control arm (squeaky bushing)
HVAC fan (chirping)
Cracked coolant reservoir
New battery (forget which one or both all warranty they just did it when in for a service)

I have a Stage 2 EC tune and I think the key to a well running AMG is lots of "Italian Tuneups"!

The most annoying problem? A liter of milk spilled in the wagon "trunk" last year. I've spend $1000 detailing, then $1000 at the dealer to remove the rear interior, seats,ozone etc. and we thought all was well. Now springtime - the smell is coming back! Argh. I probably need to buy new trunk floor/rear seats. Will start removing pieces one at a time until the smell goes away.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh the spilled milk that sucks.... I had to trade in a pickup after the puppy threw up in it... even after replacing the entire seat I couldn't get the smell out.... permeated everywhere apparently, hope you have better luck....
Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Evo9
Originally Posted by try m3
I have a high mileage tune, downpipe, meth m157 as well my daily commute is close to 100 miles round trip. My M157 car is slightly more expensive to maintain than the W211 but some of you guys act like this is an early 90's Italian supercar. The most expensive repair I've had to date on the m157 was both high pressure fuel pumps. Just keep up with general and preventative maintenance. Of course these are not Honda's or Toyota's and there's always going to be a risk owning a german car out of warranty. I also agree the forum is where everyone posts their horror stories but compared to other cars in its class the e63/cls63 is holding up fine.
Do you do any routines for start up and before shut off? For example, let it idle for "x" amount of time and let idle "x" amount of time before shutting it off. Wait until "x" oil temp before you get into boost.

It seems like the owners that obviously do preventative maintenance but also have a certain routine to operating their cars have the best high mileage car experiences.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by lvevo
Do you do any routines for start up and before shut off? For example, let it idle for "x" amount of time and let idle "x" amount of time before shutting it off. Wait until "x" oil temp before you get into boost.

It seems like the owners that obviously do preventative maintenance but also have a certain routine to operating their cars have the best high mileage car experiences.

Thanks
I start the car in the morning and let it idle for about 3min before taking off I also don't get into boost at all until the oil and coolant are up to operating temp (go from blue to white). As for cooling down if I was beating on the car I let it idle for about 2 minutes before shutting it off. Change the oil and filter every 3500-5k miles besides that you will have your wear and tear items, recently had to replace some brittle coolant lines but these are all things you can catch if you inspect your car every couple of weeks.
lvevo (05-03-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

like others have said, it's a perf motor aka tight tolerances and it's also turbo and they can run hot when pushed.... i'm lucky in that i like my neighbors so i idle thru the neighborhood probably a mile or so... that takes care of that initial start and drive.... same on the way home... idle thru the neighborhood so it naturally cools off....

never push it till full water temp and frankly i't s not a bad idea to wait till oil is up to full temp too approx 200 or so....
Old 05-03-2019, 12:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy
I bought a 2016 CPO last year So far all warranty:

Lower control arm (squeaky bushing)
HVAC fan (chirping)
Cracked coolant reservoir
New battery (forget which one or both all warranty they just did it when in for a service)

I have a Stage 2 EC tune and I think the key to a well running AMG is lots of "Italian Tuneups"!

The most annoying problem? A liter of milk spilled in the wagon "trunk" last year. I've spend $1000 detailing, then $1000 at the dealer to remove the rear interior, seats,ozone etc. and we thought all was well. Now springtime - the smell is coming back! Argh. I probably need to buy new trunk floor/rear seats. Will start removing pieces one at a time until the smell goes away.
some smells never go away

ozone can destroy the plastics over time ... ugh I feel ya man... you're right to start ripping up trunk floor but seats may be overkill

ultimately the best way to solve the odor problem is get rid of the car

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-03-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by try m3
i paid $110k for the car new and can afford some out of pocket expenses but the used e63 owner is looking to be a bit frugal and thinks I was an idiot to buy new (I agree to disagree). So when looking at a $2500 bill for airmatic on a $45,000 purchase ... beads of sweat start building up on the brow...

Some of these buyers that come on the forums are not nearly as knowledgeable and as car savvy as you are so they can't make as informed of a decision without more obvious lists of facts. Again, just my $0.02

i agree the m157 is one of the better and more reliable engines benz has produced ... and they sure use it in a lot of cars

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-03-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Resurrecting this thread from the dead!

I have a 2015 E63S wagon, 62k miles. I’ve replaced the brakes/rotors (ouch), and had one ignition coil pack go bad. Other than that, she’s been perfect.

Question: does it make sense to sell now while values are high? I love this car, it’s exactly what I want, but I don’t what to get into expensive repair territory and have the car value fall off a cliff next year at the same time. KBB values this car around $55k private sale value. It’s appealing.

Any additional feedback around long term durability/issues from 212 owners with their cars approaching 6-7 model years old? Thanks.
cotmfk (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 09:09 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
Originally Posted by VCA_AMG

I have a 2015 E63S wagon, 62k miles. I’ve replaced the brakes/rotors (ouch), and had one ignition coil pack go bad. Other than that, she’s been perfect.

Question: does it make sense to sell now while values are high? I love this car, it’s exactly what I want, but I don’t what to get into expensive repair territory and have the car value fall off a cliff next year at the same time. KBB values this car around $55k private sale value. It’s appealing.

Any additional feedback around long term durability/issues from 212 owners with their cars approaching 6-7 model years old? Thanks.
I still have not seen any issues that haven't been discussed to death on this forum (I.e cam sensors and control arms)

As far as values, I've never seen one of these dip below 30 regardless of miles, there's even one with 212,000 mi for sale in florida, I believe they're asking 36 for it.
I fall these very closely for the last 2 years, they did seem to peak the beginning of the this year, there was one outlier with 105,000 Miles that sold on bring a trailer for 31k. But other than that, they seem to be hovering right around $40k with 100,000, $45k with 70k and still above $50k with around 30k
For wagons, add about $15K.

Where in that nice plateau in the values, but 213 still pulling in almost double the amount of a 212, I don't see our values dropping too much.
The following 2 users liked this post by kenneyd:
cotmfk (12-12-2022), fireball27 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 09:59 PM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
05 C55-gone 06 E55-gone 15 P85D 14 E63 S 11 Sonata 😅

i thought about selling my Tesla for the same reason but I thought to myself what I am going to get instead? Used market in my area still high so nothing seems appealing
thesaintusa (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 10:04 PM

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Originally Posted by AMGfifty5
i thought about selling my Tesla for the same reason but I thought to myself what I am going to get instead? Used market in my area still high so nothing seems appealing
I absolutely love my 2015 E63s (currently has 34k miles). A great highway cruiser and winter DD.

I thought of getting rid of it as it is worth almost what I paid after driving it for 4 years, but the issue is what would I replace it with?

Has an extended warranty until 2024 so will keep it another 2 years and revisit the dilemma.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:03 AM

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
2015 s212 e63s wagon
I'm glad I purchased the extended warranty for 2015 wagon with ~40K miles because in 2 years of ownership and ~10K extra miles a lot was fixed:
- engine and transmission mounts
- driver upper and lower control arms
- water pump, thermostat, coolant lines
- leaking front covers, camshaft solenoids and camshaft position sensors
- 1 failed ignition coil (misfires)

On top of that I replaced brakes and spark plugs.

None of these issues were apparent when I purchased and it still boggles my mind
Old 12-12-2022, 09:19 AM

Received 154 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
The ELW has paid for itself here as well. Airmatic fail, output shaft seal, cam covers, coolant reservoir, cracked turbo coolant line, cracked engine cover, etc etc etc. Have seriously considered unloading with some warranty left as a selling point. Value probably takes a $5K nosedive after expiration.

Any AMG out of warranty is probably going to be an expensive proposition - it just goes with the territory like having a trophy wife without a pre-nup. Better ride that car hard and get your kicks because your wallet sure is going to get lighter before it's all said and done!
Old 12-12-2022, 10:23 AM

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
On the shoulder

Car market in general is on the downswing (as are a lot of various markets). The odd thing for a car like this is that manufacturers are switching to EV only. So, people are waking up to the fact that there aren't going to be any more V8TT available new in a bit. Obviously Merc just announced 4.0TT will continue with assistance of electric, but the last pure ICE is done. As a result, it's going to hold value a bit better than what AMGs did pre-panda. There are also going to be less of them for sale, as people like me have decided it's a keeper and are going to hold until the wheels fall off. I can see them bottoming out in the 20s or low 30s before starting a slow rise. I'm ok with that prospect. If you are, then I would recommend just holding and enjoying the car. If not, while the market is not at peak, it's still elevated - so it's a good time to sell. Nobody knows the future though.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:35 PM

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300

Well, there is this....