Sponsored by:

Third Party Warranty or Self Insure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 AMG; 1999 C280 Sport
Third Party Warranty or Self Insure?

Hello all, long time lurker, and this will be my inaugural post.

I have my eyes on a 2011 e63, well optioned with a little over 90k miles. I've driven it several times now and am not aware off any issues.

My question to the forum is the collective thinking about the value of a third-party warranty. I've price shopped several. The quotes I have received are all for policies that specifically list out the parts covered rather than a full bumper-to-bumper (the full coverage policies are in the $8-11k range, which is well beyond what makes sense). I'm currently looking at a 5 year /48k miles policy for $6400. The plan covers, among other things: (i) cylinder heads, camshafts, lifters (so this would cover the cam/lifter issue should it ever arise), (ii) alternator, starter motor, engine wiring harness, (iii) a/c compressor, condenser, (iv) brake calibers, master cylinders, and (v) transmission cooler, transmission mount, trans case, oil pan, shift control unit (I've only listed main components). I've tried to research on the forum the main 2011 e63 issues, and have come away with: airmatic, headbolts (not applicable to this car), and camshaft/lifters. Are there other known issues for expensive parts/repairs that don't appear to be addressed here?

One other problem with this policy is that the max coverage amount is $15k, although the policy is transferable, which is nice and can be cancelled at any time.

So, what are your thoughts? Third-party warranty worth it? Or is that money better spent to self insure?

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
With a max coverage of 15k, I will say not worth it cos the only real problem area would be the headbolts and cams. Will cost way more than that if you are affected. And yes even 2011 cars are affected ( to a certain point in the production)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 337 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by MGAMG

I have my eyes on a 2011 e63, well optioned with a little over 90k miles. I've driven it several times now and am not aware off any issues.

My question to the forum is the collective thinking about the value of a third-party warranty. I've price shopped several. The quotes I have received are all for policies that specifically list out the parts covered rather than a full bumper-to-bumper (the full coverage policies are in the $8-11k range, which is well beyond what makes sense). I'm currently looking at a 5 year /48k miles policy for $6400. The plan covers, among other things: (i) cylinder heads, camshafts, lifters (so this would cover the cam/lifter issue should it ever arise), (ii) alternator, starter motor, engine wiring harness, (iii) a/c compressor, condenser, (iv) brake calibers, master cylinders, and (v) transmission cooler, transmission mount, trans case, oil pan, shift control unit (I've only listed main components). I've tried to research on the forum the main 2011 e63 issues, and have come away with: airmatic, headbolts (not applicable to this car), and camshaft/lifters. Are there other known issues for expensive parts/repairs that don't appear to be addressed here?

One other problem with this policy is that the max coverage amount is $15k, although the policy is transferable, which is nice and can be cancelled at any time.

So, what are your thoughts? Third-party warranty worth it? Or is that money better spent to self insure?

Thanks!
Unless you already know the answer, post or PM the VIN, and I'll let you know if in affected group.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Valvestud

Unless you already know the answer, post or PM the VIN, and I'll let you know if in affected group.
Thanks, will try to get it today and PM you.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by kponti
With a max coverage of 15k, I will say not worth it cos the only real problem area would be the headbolts and cams. Will cost way more than that if you are affected. And yes even 2011 cars are affected ( to a certain point in the production)
That actually surprises me, I would have assumed $15k would have at least covered that issue? Have there been some real world examples of this repair exceeding that amount - I didn't see anything when I searched.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,331 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
PM Vrodman, he is a wealth of info on this subject, a very smart guy, and has real world 211 experience ... his repair was over $30,000 and nearly caught him on fire ... literally
Old 06-24-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 MB E63 AMG
coverage

Originally Posted by MGAMG

Thanks!
Be VERY CAREFULL of after market companies. Many are a scam. Delta Auto Protect for one.(ask me how I know) Very few companies will insure these cars.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by AMG Rick
Be VERY CAREFULL of after market companies. Many are a scam. Delta Auto Protect for one.(ask me how I know) Very few companies will insure these cars.
Did Delta not cover anything, or did they try to say what you needed a repair was excluded?
Old 06-24-2018, 10:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 MB E63 AMG
They will not even answer the phone and my MB dealer refuses to deal with them. My claim is valid. Suggest you check with your MB dealer to get a referral. I'm trying to get the CC company to refund me the $4800 for there premium policy. Go to RipoffReport.com and check it out.