Brake and Tire Thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Brake and Tire Thoughts

OK so my wife's E63s Wagon needs some front brake pads and at least one tire. It has 25000 on it. I just put new pads on the rear a month or two ago, but the front need done. I'm thinking of going with EBC Red stuff, but the yellow is more performance oriented. I'd like to have less dust, but don't want to sacrifice any braking power, and I've read conflicting reports on here. I figure once it's time for new pads again I'll change the rotors too and go with Rado, but don't want to put expensive pads on 1/2 worn rotors. Should I get EBC red or yellow or something else? What is the part # for the one time use bolt?

On the tires. I bought a second set of AMG wheels when the car was new and put winter tires on them. I've gotten 3 winters and might have a forth. I've got the Pirelli P zero that came stock and have been replacing them one or two at a time when they wear out or get a bubble. I've got 2 fronts at 35%, a rear at 60%, and a blown rear. I'm not a huge fan of these tires and I'd like to have a softer quieter tire as our roads are really bad. I was planning on just putting a set of UHP all-season DWS or Pilot A/S 3+ in the late fall, but she tore a sidewall yesterday, and now needs a new tire. I've also liked the Pilot Super Sports when I've had them on other cars and thing they would be quieter than the P-zero.

Options are:
1. Just buy another P-zero tire and run the winters for a final season.
2. Buy a set of DWS or A/S 3+ and call it a day. I'm leaning DWS here but haven't had the newer ones. I want the softest quietest with best snow traction.
3. Buy a set of Pilot Super Sports and run the winters again.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon, 1988 BMW M3, 2004 Tacoma
I bought the caliper bolts for my '14 wagon from the dealer, at lunch I'll go take a look at the invoice and post up the numbers here.

I was in a similar position on tires, 70% rears and 20% fronts, was an easier call for me to just do two new front p-zeros and the next tire replacement will be all four for Michelin PSS.

-chris
Old 07-27-2018, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Thanks! I think I'm going to get the EBC Yellowstuff for the front brakes, and am still undecided on the tire situation. One of my winter wheels got bent and the dealer straightened it, but I still felt vibration. I'm going to have it straightened again at a tire shop and see if it can get better. If I can get it better I'll probably go with summer tires on the black wheels and winter on the others. I'm also going to see if that tire that got damaged is still under warranty. If it is I'll replace it with another P Zer, and if not I'll weigh my options.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 CLS63 S AMG
My .02 EBC yellowstuff brake dust is terrible, honestly just slightly less or equivalent to OEM pads as far as dust. The grip at high heat is remarkable though. Mine are in their first 1000 miles and I was doing ~140mph a few nights ago and brought it down to 80mph without any issues without using maximum pressure. Something I couldn't have done with my previous brake setup. And last night I did multiple 150+ pulls with a few other AMG guys and still the same consistent performance. But I doubt your wife needs the added braking power or wants the same dust. I have heard Redstuff is great and used them years ago on some lower end cars and they worked fantastically. I'd suggest going with those first and if she wants something more you know the Yellowstuff are there as well
Old 07-27-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
EBC Yellow_ are you sure? You must like to clean wheels...

EBC yellow are dusty and squeky, but grippy, more of a AutoX and track pad versus daily driving.

EBC red are great pads, have used them in the past (on other cars). over the years I have used most of the pads out there - all the way from PFC01 race pads all the way to Posi Ceramic. I have not run Hawk Yellow (Ceramic) but they are generally viewed as the least dust generating pads of all, sacrificing some torque and feel for the lack of dust (and never take a ceramic to the track...)

Just got the latest set two days ago - Hawk HPS 5.0, supposed to be a really nice combo of performance and lack of dust. Actually approaching pads like Posi semi-metallic for daily driving. But producing a bit more when you beat them up (spirited driving). Plan to install this weekend. Will provide feedback.

Related to snow tires. If you actually drive on snow or ice (or just cold temperatures), do the swap and live happily ever after. Even a decent all season tire (like DWS) will suck in comparison to a real snow tire, esp with 600 HP...
Old 07-27-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by CerBErusM113
My .02 EBC yellowstuff brake dust is terrible, honestly just slightly less or equivalent to OEM pads as far as dust.l
We agree!

The following users liked this post:
CerBErusM113 (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
I have the EBC red stuff ceramic there great so far ,great initial bite,50% lower dust and quiet. Im happy with them.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon, 1988 BMW M3, 2004 Tacoma
Originally Posted by rediesel
What is the part # for the one time use bolt?
M14 x 40 front caliper bolt: 000000-006249
M12 x 35 rear caliper bolt: 018-990-00-01

you'll need four of each to do all four corners.

-chris
Old 08-05-2018, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 111 Posts
E63s AMG
Originally Posted by FastWgn
EBC Yellow_ are you sure? You must like to clean wheels...

EBC yellow are dusty and squeky, but grippy, more of a AutoX and track pad versus daily driving.

EBC red are great pads, have used them in the past (on other cars). over the years I have used most of the pads out there - all the way from PFC01 race pads all the way to Posi Ceramic. I have not run Hawk Yellow (Ceramic) but they are generally viewed as the least dust generating pads of all, sacrificing some torque and feel for the lack of dust (and never take a ceramic to the track...)

Just got the latest set two days ago - Hawk HPS 5.0, supposed to be a really nice combo of performance and lack of dust. Actually approaching pads like Posi semi-metallic for daily driving. But producing a bit more when you beat them up (spirited driving). Plan to install this weekend. Will provide feedback.

Related to snow tires. If you actually drive on snow or ice (or just cold temperatures), do the swap and live happily ever after. Even a decent all season tire (like DWS) will suck in comparison to a real snow tire, esp with 600 HP...
Anyone used Posi ceramic pads before on the E63? I had them on my E550 and they worked great with barely any brake dust and stopping power was just as good as OEM.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 AMG Wagon
CCB's!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon
facing a similar tire problem. just going oem pirellis rear, lf is new, warranty, rf has 7/32. not crazy about the wear diff side to side but it's a DD not a track car. will switch to A/S 3 next time.

at 23k miles appreciate the brake talk this is helpful.