Sponsored by:

Need Advice on 2014 E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G55
Need Advice on 2014 E63

Looking to purchase a low miles 2014 E63s for my son. I have found several cars, but one in particular has the optional carbon ceramic brakes. I have been reading of the advantages of these brakes, I can't believe the replacement cost. This is going to be my son's daily driver and he will never track this car(that I will know of right ;-) so my questions is should I stay away from this car?

Last edited by Noeesp; 10-17-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by Noeesp
Looking to purchase a low miles 2015 E63s for my son. I have found several cars, but one in particular has the optional carbon ceramic brakes. I have been reading of the advantages of these brakes, I can't believe the replacement cost. This is going to be my son's daily driver and he will never track this car(that I will know of right ;-) so my questions is should I stay away from this car?
Not sure what the age of your son is, but I would never buy my 19 yo son an E63. Not from the economic standpoint but more from the "I don't want to kill my son" standpoint.

And , Yes, brake jobs will indeed be much higher cost than standard brakes. If you love the car though, I wouldn't worry about the brakes too much as it sounds like if you can afford to buy this for your son, you might not be too concerned about brake costs?

Good Luck
Old 10-17-2018, 02:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
It'll certainly be safer than say ... a hellcat

if you can afford a $55k used car that stickered for $115k, you can swing the extended warranty and service plans and brake jobs

good luck and nice choice! My son will get a Prius because he will learn to drive safe and won't be tempted to do something crazy

Last edited by PeterUbers; 10-17-2018 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fallen (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 05:22 PM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by Vrodman
Not sure what the age of your son is, but I would never buy my 19 yo son an E63. Not from the economic standpoint but more from the "I don't want to kill my son" standpoint.

And , Yes, brake jobs will indeed be much higher cost than standard brakes. If you love the car though, I wouldn't worry about the brakes too much as it sounds like if you can afford to buy this for your son, you might not be too concerned about brake costs?

Good Luck
So I am looking at a 2014 not a 2015 and I am seeing them listing from $45-52K for the cars I am considering. I have found one car that is a CPO car that has an extended warranty till 2020 unlimited miles for less than 47K it is the car with the carbon ceramic brakes.

My son is a pilot and aviation student who road raced motorcycle from the time he was 6 years old. I am not at all worried that he will get himself into trouble driving this car. He has access to my G55 and is extremely responsible for his age. So not worried at all about him handling this car. They question remains would you consider or buy the car with or without CCB.

While I can afford a car like this, I don't like to overpay for things and I work on my own cars. I do all the brake work on my G55 and my other son's Lexus ISF. So paying 15K for a brake job is absurd and I just could not bring myself to do it.

Last edited by Noeesp; 10-17-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

So I am looking at a 2014 not a 2015 and I am seeing them listing from $45-52K for the cars I am considering. I have found one car that is a CPO car that has an extended warranty till 2020 unlimited miles for less than 47K it is the car with the carbon ceramic brakes.

My son is a pilot and aviation student who road raced motorcycle from the time he was 6 years old. I am not at all worried that he will get himself into trouble driving this car. He has access to my G55 and is extremely responsible for his age. So not worried at all about him handling this car. They question remains would you consider or buy the care with or without CCB.

While I can afford a car like this, I don't like to overpay for things and I work on my own cars. I do all the brake work on my G55 and my other son's Lexus ISF. So paying 15K for a brake job is absurd and I just could not bring myself to do it.
do not, then, buy a ccb car ... no need, the steel brakes are damn good and dirt cheap relatively to replace ... $400 for pads all around and you'll install them yourself for $0 and the cost of sensors etc
Old 10-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...63-4matic.html

Don't be offended if I ask you to look at this list of items to be reviewed before buying your e63S

The following users liked this post:
AMG RB (03-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2018, 06:24 PM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

do not, then, buy a ccb car ... no need, the steel brakes are damn good and dirt cheap relatively to replace ... $400 for pads all around and you'll install them yourself for $0 and the cost of sensors etc
aapreciate the advice.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:29 PM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...63-4matic.html

Don't be offended if I ask you to look at this list of items to be reviewed before buying your e63S

thank you for the checklist. No offense taken on the contrary I appreciate the advise.

thank you for the checklist
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

thank you for the checklist. No offense taken on the contrary I appreciate the advise.

thank you for the checklist
wish you great luck! These are amazing cars with very very little to worry about
Old 10-17-2018, 11:17 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
I did a lil' searching on this subject last year being that I ended up buying just that, a '14 with CCB's. Word on the interwebs is that the rotors will SUPPOSEDLY last either "UP TO" or "OVER" 100K miles. While we are on the subject, A- How long brakes last is really more dependent on how one drives (there are people out there that drive with a foot on the gas and another on the brake ) and less on purely how many miles a car is driven. B- If it ever came down to spending $10K+ on a brake job for this car I would hands down simply replace the whole thing with a Brembo Kit and sell the OE calipers. I have never driven a E63 with steel brakes, but, the CCB's got good bite. GL with the purchase!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:56 AM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
I did a lil' searching on this subject last year being that I ended up buying just that, a '14 with CCB's. Word on the interwebs is that the rotors will SUPPOSEDLY last either "UP TO" or "OVER" 100K miles. While we are on the subject, A- How long brakes last is really more dependent on how one drives (there are people out there that drive with a foot on the gas and another on the brake ) and less on purely how many miles a car is driven. B- If it ever came down to spending $10K+ on a brake job for this car I would hands down simply replace the whole thing with a Brembo Kit and sell the OE calipers. I have never driven a E63 with steel brakes, but, the CCB's got good bite. GL with the purchase!
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
2016 E63 AMG-S, 2007 FERRARI 430, 2001 JEEP WRANGLER 60TH ANNI. EDITION SOLD 2011 E550 4matic
My son is a pilot and aviation student who road raced motorcycle from the time he was 6 years old. I am not at all worried that he will get himself into trouble driving this car. He has access to my G55 and is extremely responsible for his age. So not worried at all about him handling this car.

not much traffic and idiots on the roads up in the air. A pilot of aviation doesn't have to be on the defensive end. I grew up with Italian cars MT, because if my family. I can tell you owning the E63S MY2016 built to my specs, in my twenties, it's a privilege. I'm hoping your son isn't attending Embry Riddle aeronautical university many of those think being a pilot translates to being some race care driver. Amusing thread to say the least.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E63 S
I personally think the carbon ceramics would only be needed if the car is going to be tracked, and I’m your case it’s bit going to be. I have the regular steel brakes and I think they are very strong. I’m 19 years old and my father bought me my 2014 e63, you guys can judge me and say he’s crazy for getting me this car at this age. Well he is pretty crazy but he trusts me, I’ve been around fast cars my whole life and I’ve seen things go wrong and I know the dangers of having a fast car, but it’s a hobby I’ve adopted from my father and we enjoy car and especially making them faster. Goodluck your son will love it!
Old 10-20-2018, 04:52 PM

2016 E63 AMG-S, 2007 FERRARI 430, 2001 JEEP WRANGLER 60TH ANNI. EDITION SOLD 2011 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by shkrelz
I personally think the carbon ceramics would only be needed if the car is going to be tracked, and I’m your case it’s bit going to be. I have the regular steel brakes and I think they are very strong. I’m 19 years old and my father bought me my 2014 e63, you guys can judge me and say he’s crazy for getting me this car at this age. Well he is pretty crazy but he trusts me, I’ve been around fast cars my whole life and I’ve seen things go wrong and I know the dangers of having a fast car, but it’s a hobby I’ve adopted from my father and we enjoy car and especially making them faster. Goodluck your son will love it!
Sure....anyway I have a proposition. If you're in FL. Daytona Speedway rents out the track for those who have street legal race cars. We have done it many times. When in Daytona. Bring your "19" year old self I'll treat for the fee. I have a contact there. I'll spare you the diapers so your dad doesn't bring them. Furthermore, it will be more fun the more people we have.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:06 PM

2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by CazzoGrosso
Sure....anyway I have a proposition. If you're in FL. Daytona Speedway rents out the track for those who have street legal race cars. We have done it many times. When in Daytona. Bring your "19" year old self I'll treat for the fee. I have a contact there. I'll spare you the diapers so your dad doesn't bring them. Furthermore, it will be more fun the more people we have.
Im in New York I go to Atco Dragway. Anyway it seems you need tissues if your offended that a 19 year old drives an e63.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:09 PM

Im in New York I go to Atco Dragway. Anyway it seems you need tissues if your offended that a 19 year old drives an e63.

i have no issues with you driving your daddy's car shrek. To bad you're stuck in ny, I would have provided lodging for both. Carry on with your whining
Old 10-20-2018, 05:16 PM

2014 E63 S
i have no issues with you driving yout daddy's car shrek. To bad you're stuck in ny, I would have provided lodging for both. Carry on with your whining
No whining over here I’ve been enjoy my “ daddy’s” car since I’ve had it. And if I’m correct you replied to me with your whining. I’m used to it though, usually a lot of people get angry when they see a kid driving a car like an e63. Good day fool.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:56 PM

No whining over here I’ve been enjoy my “ daddy’s” car since I’ve had it. And if I’m correct you replied to me with your whining. I’m used to it though, usually a lot of people get angry when they see a kid driving a car like an e63. Good day fool.
Little guy. I would have respect for you if you bought it yourself. If you're "19". Being spoiled and given that car Has NO honor because you didn't buy it yourself it was given to you. Girls use you and take advantage because of that fact you're privileged and are insecure. Having a AMG will bring you the confidence you lack, also filling in your inadequacies. A real man does it on his own. Creates his on shadows, and buys his assets, doesn't have mommy daddy hand it to them. You're an adult yet you have failed to see this. Unfortunately for you, you will always be coddled. The real fool is you. It's OK your generation feels they need they're owed something. No respect whatsoever. You're to amusing
Old 10-20-2018, 06:12 PM

2014 E63 S
Little guy. I would have respect for you if you bought it yourself. If you're "19". Being spoiled and given that car Has NO honor because you didn't buy it yourself it was given to you. Girls use you and take advantage because of that fact you're privileged and are insecure. Having a AMG will bring you the confidence you lack, also filling in your inadequacies. A real man does it on his own. Creates his on shadows, and buys his assets, doesn't have mommy daddy hand it to them. You're an adult yet you have failed to see this. Unfortunately for you, you will always be coddled. The real fool is you. It's OK your generation feels they need they're owed something. No respect whatsoever. You're to amusing
A car shouldnt make a person. And I know an AMG doesn’t make me who I am. I have no insecurities my father bought be this car so I could enjoy the things he couldn’t when he was my age. I see where your coming from but the car is just a car. Nothing is owed to me and I don’t expect anything from my parents. It’s their choice to get me what they want and I’m sure the OP wants to get his son an amg just like my father did. Anyway cars are a bonding experience for me and my father we’ve built many cars together spending countless hours in the garage which is worth way more than any car. Anyway I wouldn’t expect for you to know what that feels like and see the big picture. Once again enjoy your day
Old 10-20-2018, 06:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Last edited by PeterUbers; 12-29-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:18 PM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Wow - this thread went out of hand fast, eh?

To the OP - CCB is a great thing (actually amazing), unless you:

a) Drop a wheel on it - they are rather fragile.
b) need to change rotors - it's expensive.
c) drive in very cold temperatures, and have to slam the brakes (as in laser jammer going off after 10 min of highway driving in -10 degrees. Thermal shock is not good for CCBs.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63 S
I will also add that some people go with CCBs due to them generating less brake dust. Granted that’s an expensive decision for cosmetic reasons and not an issue if you wash your car often.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GLS
Figured I'd close the loop here. Young Master Shkrelz's car apparently suffered catastrophic engine failure, see here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-disaster.html
He then tried to sell the car while concealing aforementioned engine damage, see here: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...nz-e-class-28/

Fortunately, no one bought the car. Hate to see anyone's engine self-destruct, but to try and sell the car while concealing this important bit of information is very dishonest.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116
Figured I'd close the loop here. Young Master Shkrelz's car apparently suffered catastrophic engine failure, see here: https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...-disaster.html
He then tried to sell the car while concealing aforementioned engine damage, see here: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...nz-e-class-28/

Fortunately, no one bought the car. Hate to see anyone's engine self-destruct, but to try and sell the car while concealing this important bit of information is very dishonest.
to absolutely nobody’s surprise the kid is a dirtbag.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:34 PM

2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116

my car sold back in October buddy. The name Shkrelz is very common good job ruining someone else’s sale, should have gotten your facts straight first. The coincidence is hilarious here. You guys are real idiots I enjoy the laugh. Poor owner has to suffer now because of you idiots great job!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on 2014 E63