Sponsored by:

Brand New Motor from MB!! Thank You Very Much

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
All
Originally Posted by Vrodman

Hmmmm, I hadnt heard of Martin until now. I may or may not know of Jake though that is doing many if not all of their remote tunes. Of course knowing Jake and much about AMS does not mean that I have EVER altered or modified my car!

yes, you are correct. Jake is doing most of the tunes now. Martin needed another tuner to help out a few years ago. He hired Jake and he's been doing an excellent job. Martin is the original developer of a lot of the tunes for mercedes but Jake has done tweaks to them since he's been taking over too. All the tunes Jake has done have been great.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:42 PM

All

Hmmmm, I hadnt heard of Martin until now. I may or may not know of Jake though that is doing many if not all of their remote tunes. Of course knowing Jake and much about AMS does not mean that I have EVER altered or modified my car!

Ive been meaning to clarify with you that my original response about this entire topic was definitely not to put you down about having a tune on your car. You already picked your car up and the repair is done. The dealer will not go after you for the cost of the engine if Mercedes denies the claim. If mercedes decides to debit the cost of your repair because they see all this, the poor dealer who helped you out will be the ones eating the bill, and thats what had me concerned. My response was more to bring awareness that if you are going to let the internet know about modifications to your car, make sure it's not easy to find out the Vin of your car or your name. Basically hide anything that would help mercedes find out who you are easily. Blur out your license plates, and anything else they can use. Don't give a play by play of what the dealer is doing if you are hiding things like a tune. These cars are insane with tunes and basic mods. They make me and a lot of amg owners love them even more. I'm glad you received a brand new engine and didn't have to go through what some other people have had to go through. If (when) you decide to go with a tune after you break the engine in, please please please get a water/methanol injection kit. You will not be disappointed. These m157's love to ping and knock. That will pull ignition timing fast and flatline the power even though you might not feel it. It will also help keep the engine running safe lowering the chances of problems. These cars with a 50/50 mix of water and methanol......... beautiful. Install 2 nozzles on the charge pipes before the intercooler and you will instantly feel the difference. Especially on days above 60f.

Last edited by mbmastertech; 12-07-2018 at 09:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jvakos (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Originally Posted by mbmastertech
Ive been meaning to clarify with you that my original response about this entire topic was definitely not to put you down about having a tune on your car. You already picked your car up and the repair is done. The dealer will not go after you for the cost of the engine if Mercedes denies the claim. If mercedes decides to debit the cost of your repair because they see all this, the poor dealer who helped you out will be the ones eating the bill, and thats what had me concerned. My response was more to bring awareness that if you are going to let the internet know about modifications to your car, make sure it's not easy to find out the Vin of your car or your name. Basically hide anything that would help mercedes find out who you are easily. Blur out your license plates, and anything else they can use. Don't give a play by play of what the dealer is doing if you are hiding things like a tune. These cars are insane with tunes and basic mods. They make me and a lot of amg owners love them even more. I'm glad you received a brand new engine and didn't have to go through what some other people have had to go through. If (when) you decide to go with a tune after you break the engine in, please please please get a water/methanol injection kit. You will not be disappointed. These m157's love to ping and knock. That will pull ignition timing fast and flatline the power even though you might not feel it. It will also help keep the engine running safe lowering the chances of problems. These cars with a 50/50 mix of water and methanol......... beautiful. Install 2 nozzles on the charge pipes before the intercooler and you will instantly feel the difference. Especially on days above 60f.

Once again, thank you for your candor and advice. You have been very straight and I think have all learned some important, critical information.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
mbmastertech - really appreciate your insights here and honesty. i didnt realize the water/methanol injection kit was a better/safer add on to a tuned m157. thats interesting... so does the tuner typically provide their water/methanol kit and incorporate that in to their tune? if not, does the tune needs to be adjusted for an after market water/methanol kit?? my apologies in advance for what maybe novice question about water/meth kits..
Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 AM

All
Originally Posted by jvakos
mbmastertech - really appreciate your insights here and honesty. i didnt realize the water/methanol injection kit was a better/safer add on to a tuned m157. thats interesting... so does the tuner typically provide their water/methanol kit and incorporate that in to their tune? if not, does the tune needs to be adjusted for an after market water/methanol kit?? my apologies in advance for what maybe novice question about water/meth kits..
There are a few nice methanol kits available. Most common are the AEM, snow performance kits. All of them are nice but you want to make sure to get one that has a controller to set the on/off triggers. I really like the AEM kit that has its own map sensor on the controller. You don't need to change anything with the tune. Since it's spraying before the intercooler the intake air temp sensor will see the drop in temperature and it will adjust everything on its own. If you live close to any tuners like AMS/ Weistec/eurocharged they can install it for you. Or you could go to a Benz dealer and ask for the tech who's into modding cars and talk to them, they would probably offer to do the install too.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Two questions for you:

1) Wouldn't adding the methanol kit also void any warranties? main warranty/extended warranty?
2) Can you recommend a particular kit? What would be a typical time/cost for installation as I don't turn wrenches at this level any longer.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 08:26 PM

All
Two questions for you:

1) Wouldn't adding the methanol kit also void any warranties? main warranty/extended warranty?
2) Can you recommend a particular kit? What would be a typical time/cost for installation as I don't turn wrenches at this level any longer.

Thanks
Yes, just like tunes, downpipes or most other modifications it could create problems with warranty if a major repair is needed. If anyone already has a tune or tune and downpipes they might as well keep it safe and consistent with a methanol injection kit. That way the chance of needing a major repair is much lower than without methanol.
i personally like the AEM kit (30-3300). Installation can be anywhere from a few hours to a full day depending on how detailed or hidden you want everything.

Last edited by mbmastertech; 12-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thxrick (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
Two questions for you:

Thanks
LOL. Your warranty claims can be denied long before you get to the point of using meth injection.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
I’m glad you got your engine covered, I don’t know if you guys watch Tasos on YouTube but I seen at least 10 rebuilds he did on the M157 and all of them had the same result of bent connecting rods that leads to the scoring on the cylinder walls, by looking at those pics you can see the pistons are off center,I think he rebuilt a stock engine no tune and it had bent rods , these vids completely changed my mind on tuning the car, so on all his rebuilds he was putting an upgraded aftermarket set of pistons and Rods , everything else is solid
Old 12-13-2018, 01:48 AM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
Originally Posted by 10speed
I’m glad you got your engine covered, I don’t know if you guys watch Tasos on YouTube but I seen at least 10 rebuilds he did on the M157 and all of them had the same result of bent connecting rods that leads to the scoring on the cylinder walls, by looking at those pics you can see the pistons are off center,I think he rebuilt a stock engine no tune and it had bent rods , these vids completely changed my mind on tuning the car, so on all his rebuilds he was putting an upgraded aftermarket set of pistons and Rods , everything else is solid
Actually that makes me feel better about having a tune, because if the damn rods are going to bend without a tune anyways, why not enjoy the ride to a rebuild as best I can?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have seen Tasos' video. I did not see conclusive evidence that all these rods are bending. What he was showing was pretty minor at best. Additionally, nowhere in that video did he discuss scored cylinder walls or a connection to scored cylinder walls as a result of bent rods. Never came up. I believe you are making conclusions that may not be there. Also, we have tons of guys on this forum with pretty aggressive mods making all kinds of horsepower and torque that do not report bottom end issues.

To be clear, I am not trying to talk you into a tune. If you don't like the idea, by all means don't do it. I just think everyone needs to know all sides and make educated decisions for themselves.

Lastly, as I and others have previously mentioned on this thread, the subject of the risks of a tune should be addressed in a separate thread. This thread keeps getting hijacked about tunes. The real point of this thread, as I was the OP, was to point out how well MB came through for a customer.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,449 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Also there is probably data that we the consumer will ever know about why or how benz decides to warranty and engine replacement. So long as the customer is taken care of, no need for the customer to know why they are paying for the repair. Benz is a good company in my book
Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Also there is probably data that we the consumer will ever know about why or how benz decides to warranty and engine replacement. So long as the customer is taken care of, no need for the customer to know why they are paying for the repair. Benz is a good company in my book
I was told directly by MB customer service on the phone once over something else that the biggest factor they look at is "Brand Loyalty" for each claim/customer. It seems I meet/exceed their standards. Lucky for me.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 370 Likes on 158 Posts
AMG
He is a interesting fella, he isnt very technically on engines software side, but he is a engine re-builder, but i cant say anything about the quality of his work good or bad, from his videos he looks like he is good with the M157 and pretty detailed. His videos are entertaining and informative for sure.

To be fair, his customers seem to be operating heavy modified M157 in extreme conditions, with tuners who are usually 'custom' tuned and unknown based with custom turbo setups, as seen in some of his videos, the shops and builds that some of the cars that he sees are of VERY LOW QUALITY.
So i wouldn't compare some of his findings to be a common thing with us here in the states that usually run normal bolt on cars with good fueling, with more 'known' tuners in less extreme conditions. Bend rods isnt that common tbh on this motor.

In this specific case whether the tune or something else was the case of failure we will never know as there wasn't a in depth investigation tearing down that motor. but from what i have seen there is a few opinions that can me made for sure.

Last edited by 5soko; 12-13-2018 at 05:41 PM.