Sponsored by:

Who is the best engine builder at AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 CLS S-Model
Originally Posted by Vrodman

And how does this help answer the question of how many M157 engines were made per year? This is needed to calculate how many techs build OUR engines. Knowing these 2 values THEN allows us to calculate the probability of 1 customer getting the same builder twice.

Its not clear to me how this seems to keep being misunderstood.

Thanks for that math though. Pretty easy to do that in my head. But again, it does not answer the question at hand.
I'm pretty sure I answered your question directly. Of course I do not know how many of those techs build m157s, excluding the other variants for the c43 to c63 the S63 the SL63 Etc, Ad nauseam. I think to improve the odds of you figuring out the next piece of data you would need to provide is the number of m157 engines built annually at AMG. Happy New Year, safe driving and lots of four-wheel fun!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by BlownV8
This article says 40 - 50 build the M157 but in another article is said there are 200 that have build plates and certified to build engines all but 5 are men.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/buil...nshift-295723/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...he-horsepower/
OK, Now I can easily calculate the odds of getting the same builder for both of my M157's. Of course this will not be the same odds as getting a particular builder twice. What I mean is if you were start from the beginning with a particular tech in mind and hopes of getting his engine, and then get that same tech again for the replacement engine, those odds are much higher. Before I get to the 2 different scenarios, I will need to list the various assumptions made simply due to lack of info:

1) We will use the best case scenario of 40 techs rather than 50. This will tell us minimum odds.
2) We will assume that the 40 techs in 2012 (year of the article) did not change, up or down in quantity.
3) We will assume all techs have the same productivity level.
4) We will assume that certain techs do not "specialize" build M157's for particular models.
5) We will assume that any particular tech does not have any geographic protocols such as his/her engines only go to Europe for example.
6) We will assume no turnover and it is the same 40 techs through the build life of the M157.
7) We will assume that AMG does not assign a particular tech for all overage (surplus engines for replacement).

There may be another variable or two that I missed, but this is most of it.

So the odds, with these assumptions, of myself getting the same builder as my original engine for my replacement engine is quite simple to calculate. It is simply a 1 in 40 chance, which equals 2.5%. This is still quite remarkable that it happened. How many bets would you take with a 2.5% chance of winning?

Now if before I ever bought the car, I was hoping to get an engine from Marcel (or any other specific builder) the odds would also be 40:1. However, in this scenario, the odds of then also getting him/her a second time for the replacement motor jumps WAY up to 1600:1 !!

So there it is!! I did the math. LOL

Cheers
Old 01-02-2019, 11:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 CLS S-Model
Originally Posted by Vrodman
OK, Now I can easily calculate the odds of getting the same builder for both of my M157's. Of course this will not be the same odds as getting a particular builder twice. What I mean is if you were start from the beginning with a particular tech in mind and hopes of getting his engine, and then get that same tech again for the replacement engine, those odds are much higher. Before I get to the 2 different scenarios, I will need to list the various assumptions made simply due to lack of info:

1) We will use the best case scenario of 40 techs rather than 50. This will tell us minimum odds.
2) We will assume that the 40 techs in 2012 (year of the article) did not change, up or down in quantity.
3) We will assume all techs have the same productivity level.
4) We will assume that certain techs do not "specialize" build M157's for particular models.
5) We will assume that any particular tech does not have any geographic protocols such as his/her engines only go to Europe for example.
6) We will assume no turnover and it is the same 40 techs through the build life of the M157.
7) We will assume that AMG does not assign a particular tech for all overage (surplus engines for replacement).

There may be another variable or two that I missed, but this is most of it.

So the odds, with these assumptions, of myself getting the same builder as my original engine for my replacement engine is quite simple to calculate. It is simply a 1 in 40 chance, which equals 2.5%. This is still quite remarkable that it happened. How many bets would you take with a 2.5% chance of winning?

Now if before I ever bought the car, I was hoping to get an engine from Marcel (or any other specific builder) the odds would also be 40:1. However, in this scenario, the odds of then also getting him/her a second time for the replacement motor jumps WAY up to 1600:1 !!

So there it is!! I did the math. LOL

Cheers
You DID! Thank you. Happy new year, and new engine!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by Kei2thehwy
You DID! Thank you. Happy new year, and new engine!
All the same to you! Except the new engine of course.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:26 AM

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 E63 AMG-S, 2007 FERRARI 430, 2001 JEEP WRANGLER 60TH ANNI. EDITION SOLD 2011 E550 4matic

Mine Oliver Weidenmüller
Old 10-13-2019, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota FJ Cruiser
My builder is Jonas Lechner as well!

The following users liked this post:
Kei2thehwy (10-14-2019)